Unexpected noble gestures at games

Hansel

I'm sure I remember Neil McCann's first game back at Tyncastle after he'd signed for Rangers, and he came on as a sub when the result was already well and truly in Rangers favour.

Now, I don't trust my memory of events around that period of my life because I was baked most of time, but I'm pretty sure this happened...............

When he went to warm up, instead of going to the Roseburn stand, he went to the Gorgie stand and warmed up there instead. He applauded the Hearts fans and the fans applauded him back, although some booed him. It always struck me as a noble gesture by Neil, and I've always respected him as a player and a person. A great servant to the club and one of my favourite ever Hearts players, I was gutted to see him leave us.

Can anyone confirm that this occurred?

Anyway, does anyone have a "cool story" about noble gestures at football games they'd like to share?

I was a ball boy for two or three seasons. The last game of the season rousett gave me his gloves. They were torn up the seem of the thumb but my mum sewed them for me. Sadly I used them daily in the mud with my mates and they were thrown away. Still, was nice of him. One of the other lads got robbos sweaty shin pads.

Not quite the same , but still a good gesture!!

Busby2Gibson

I'm sure I remember Neil McCann's first game back at Tyncastle after he'd signed for Rangers, and he came on as a sub when the result was already well and truly in Rangers favour.

Now, I don't trust my memory of events around that period of my life because I was baked most of time, but I'm pretty sure this happened...............

When he went to warm up, instead of going to the Roseburn stand, he went to the Gorgie stand and warmed up there instead. He applauded the Hearts fans and the fans applauded him back, although some booed him. It always struck me as a noble gesture by Neil, and I've always respected him as a player and a person. A great servant to the club and one of my favourite ever Hearts players, I was gutted to see him leave us.

Anyway, does anyone have a "cool story" about noble gestures at football games they'd like to share?

I don't remember that happening but that's not to say it didn't. Neil McCann was a favourite of mine so I'd like to think it was true but I still remember being incensed when he got Maybury sent off, although to be fair to him Maybury had booted him from the off.

As for other noble gestures - how about Paul Hartley's penalty miss when he was back at Tynecastle playing for Celtic? Paul Hartley didn't miss penalties.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I don't remember that happening but that's not to say it didn't. Neil McCann was a favourite of mine so I'd like to think it was true but I still remember being incensed when he got Maybury sent off, although to be fair to him Maybury had booted him from the off.

As for other noble gestures - how about Paul Hartley's penalty miss when he was back at Tynecastle playing for Celtic? Paul Hartley didn't miss penalties.

First thing that popped into my head.

What was the score in that game? I want to say it was 1-1 and Velicka scored a last minute penalty but I could be thinking of a different game.

fabienleclerq

I remember McCann getting it tight tbh.

Not so much a gesture but sauzee picking the ned out the crowd was a classy effort.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Zibi Malkowski... Above and beyond the call of duty for his fans in maroon. Too many incidents to mention.

There was a man who never let the fans down. sweat.gif

1300566478_malkowski.jpg

Take a bow son... You crazy old diamond. thumbsup.gif

Jambof3tornado

Zibi waving when the hearts fans chanted his name,and Zibi is a jambo!!!

The hobos were livid!!!

The hobos were livid!!!

Nothing is better than that. He was so bewildered he didn't know what was going on. Then Miko blasted one right by him.

Great days

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Nothing is better than that. He was so bewildered he didn't know what was going on. Then Miko blasted one right by him.

Great days

The poor lad spent his entire life in Scotland in a perpetual state of confusion. laugh.gif

There is not a fricking chance that boy was a goalkeeper, he must have been one of those "gie it a wee try" experiments where you just take a random member of the public and stick them in the team type jobs... You know... like Witteveen... woot.gif

Jambo, Goodbye

First thing that popped into my head.

What was the score in that game? I want to say it was 1-1 and Velicka scored a last minute penalty but I could be thinking of a different game.

Unfortunately we were something like 2-0 down by that point, we were definitely well beaten that day sad.gif

Hartley was clearly hurting that his beloved were losing thumbsup.gif

Some of you might hate me for this but the players of Celtic and Hibernian at Tynecastoe around 40 years ago. Following 0-0 draws, those oppostion players lined up at the end of the games in question and applauded the great Jim Cruikshank from the field.

Never witnessed that before or since and it is a tribute to those two teams at that time.

Scottish cup final at Parkhead when Richard Gough, Ally McCoist and a few other Rangers players after going to there own fans at the end of the game continued round and applauded the Hearts support.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Definitely happened, I used to sit in Section V at the time which was right where he was warming up. There was a mix of booing and applause. Some wee wumman even shouted "Ye dinnae suit blue as much as maroon Neil!" and he had a wee chuckle.

That's exactly what happened. My season ticket was in the Gorgie Stand that year. It was directly in front of the corporate hospitality people in the centre of the stand in the back row of the bottom tier, just above crossbar level and I saw it clearly.

When Andy Goram nearly broke Gary Locke's heart with the best goalkeeping display I have ever seen in a single game and the Hearts fans sang "There's only one Andy Goram". It was done out of true respect - and we could afford to do so cos we still beat them.

We are a noble bunch.

john brownlee

Donald Ford - every game he played really.

A gentleman always played with honour

not like these cheatin' bassas of today

TyphoonJambo

Sparta Prague when their entire team came over to the Hearts end and applauded our support, dont think they could believe the noise.

I remember a lot of Hearts fans grudgingly applauding Kevin McCallister's goal against us at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup semi final. It really pissed me off at the time because Falkirk had been so much better than us and I thought we were going to sneak it 1-0. I was not looking forward to extra time.

I remember a lot of Hearts fans grudgingly applauding Kevin McCallister's goal against us at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup semi final. It really pissed me off at the time because Falkirk had been so much better than us and I thought we were going to sneak it 1-0. I was not looking forward to extra time.

Remember it well. He was outstanding that day, and we struggled to get into second gear, but good old Neil McCann and Stephane Adam sent us home happy. :)

That truly was the most amazing display of goalkeeping I have seen at tynecastle. If it wasnt for Goram it could have been double figures.

As much as he was a hobo, it was impossible not to be in awe of what he had done that day.

Are there any highlights of that game?

Cant remember the game in detail; but during a game Denis Wise took a thunderous shot which missed the goal and took out an opposition fan in a wheelchair sitting behind. At full time he went up to the oppositions team start player and asked for his shirt, he then went over gave the person in the wheelchair that shirt along with his own.

I thought it was kinda of cool that he gave a home shirt as well as his own.

Hilary Briss

Scottish cup final at Parkhead when Richard Gough, Ally McCoist and a few other Rangers players after going to there own fans at the end of the game continued round and applauded the Hearts support.

Yep, and they got applause by us also - defo wouldnt have happened with the other side of the old filth.

As for noble gestures - got to be di canio grabbing the ball with hand while opposing keeper was lying injured on ground when he could have scored.

Yep, and they got applause by us also - defo wouldnt have happened with the other side of the old filth.

As for noble gestures - got to be di canio grabbing the ball with hand while opposing keeper was lying injured on ground when he could have scored.

Did he not refuse a penalty after a ref had, in his eyes, incorrectly awarded a penalty to West Ham when he was adjudged to have been impeded?

:thumbsup:

Sorry dude, this didn't happen. He warmed up at the school end like the rest of Rangers' subs. What he did do was when he was warming up and Rangers scored, unlike the other two subs, he continued to warm up and just applauded his new teams goal. The other two subs were on the pitch.

Neil McCann is one of the games gentlemen and has always treated our club with the greatest of respect. If only some of our fans had treated him the same way.

Sorry dude, this didn't happen. He warmed up at the school end like the rest of Rangers' subs. What he did do was when he was warming up and Rangers scored, unlike the other two subs, he continued to warm up and just applauded his new teams goal. The other two subs were on the pitch.

Neil McCann is one of the games gentlemen and has always treated our club with the greatest of respect. If only some of our fans had treated him the same way.

That's all wrong.

He warmed up right in front of me at the Gorgie End. I guarantee you, 100% that you're wrong. I remember the guy who sat a couple of people over saying "I'll never hate McCann". It was hard to take seeing him in hun gear for the first time.

Carl Fredrickson

This ties in with my memory of that night too. My season ticket was in the Gorgie Road end and when he came to warm up a few boos started but then the applause drowned it out. IRRC Jim Hamilton scored for us & Neil jumped up, almost as if he was going to celebrate but then realised that he was no longer a Jambo.

100% certain he warmed up in front of the Gorgie Stand.

That's all wrong.

He warmed up right in front of me at the Gorgie End. I guarantee you, 100% that you're wrong. I remember the guy who sat a couple of people over saying "I'll never hate McCann". It was hard to take seeing him in hun gear for the first time.

Indeed.

A number of posters have already confirmed they witnessed it happen. We can't all have been high that day.... :unsure:

:lol:

That's all wrong.

He was definitely behind the school end goal when they scored, that is 100%, dude.

Indeed.

A number of posters have already confirmed they witnessed it happen. We can't all have been high that day.... :unsure:

:lol:

Yeah. On the Scotsport (I think it was at the time) highlights the commentator even made a comment about how Neil McCann warming up at the wrong end and how he seemed to have forgotten what side he was supposed to be playing for after his years at Tynecastle. I may even have it on tape somewhere.

He was definitely behind the school end goal when they scored, that is 100%, dude.

I don't remember where he was when they scored but when he came out to warm up, he was in front of the Gorgie end. I'd be willing to bet anything in the world on it as he was about 20 or 30 yards away from me.

Hilary Briss

Did he not refuse a penalty after a ref had, in his eyes, incorrectly awarded a penalty to West Ham when he was adjudged to have been impeded?

Rings a bell.....defo remember Robbie Fowler doing that against dave "the tache" seaman aswell.

Rings a bell.....defo remember Robbie Fowler doing that against dave "the tache" seaman aswell.

Yeah, but he still took the penalty.

Goalie blocked it and then McAteer followed it in and netted the rebound.

Hilary Briss

:thumbsup:

Thats the one mate. Touch of class - however if any of our players try that in semi against hibs they will be roundly booed :thumbsup:

I don't remember where he was when they scored but when he came out to warm up, he was in front of the Gorgie end. I'd be willing to bet anything in the world on it as he was about 20 or 30 yards away from me.

I was in section z Gorgie Stand and I can clearly remember the boy sitting next to me booing him, but I applauded. :verysmug:

I can't remember if he was there when there were any goals scored for either us or Rangers though.

I was in section z Gorgie Stand and I can clearly remember the boy sitting next to me booing him, but I applauded. :verysmug:

I can't remember if he was there when there were any goals scored for either us or Rangers though.

Same, but I was in section X lower. I clapped him as well. He was looking a little sheepish and he definitely got a few boos.

He'd been out injured for ages, hadn't he? Broken leg if I recall and then he got back to fitness and we pretty much sold him straight away.

Yeah, but he still took the penalty.

Goalie blocked it and then McAteer followed it in and netted the rebound.

Maybe I was getting Di Canio and Fowler mixed up. Easy mistake to make :unsure:

When Dundee utd scored their first goal the other week there,robbie neilson didnt go over to congratulate his team mate,

He just stood at the back and quietly clapped his hands.

Same, but I was in section X lower. I clapped him as well. He was looking a little sheepish and he definitely got a few boos.

He'd been out injured for ages, hadn't he? Broken leg if I recall and then he got back to fitness and we pretty much sold him straight away.

Yeah, he was injured near the beginning of that season iirc, and I remember looking forward to his return, only to be gutted when he was sold straight away.

It was sad seeing the 98 cup winning team being broken up player by player, and I think McCann's departure was the start of it. :(

Yeah, he was injured near the beginning of that season iirc, and I remember looking forward to his return, only to be gutted when he was sold straight away.

It was sad seeing the 98 cup winning team being broken up player by player, and I think McCann's departure was the start of it. :(

After looking at London Hearts, it was 3-2 Rangers. The 5-2 was the season before when Gattuso scored a couple and then got sent off.

The only thing I remember about the goals in the 2-3 game was Locke scoring right after kick-off. It was one of those ones when he headed it across goal and I think it just went over the line and no more because either the goalie scooped it back out or a defender cleared it. At the Gorgie End, we obviously couldn't see if it was a goal or not but the ref gave it and it was way over when the highlights were on the Sunday.

The People's Chimp

The hobos were livid!!!

AMAZING SCENES

What a day that was... :lol:

When Andy Goram nearly broke Gary Locke's heart with the best goalkeeping display I have ever seen in a single game and the Hearts fans sang "There's only one Andy Goram". It was done out of true respect - and we could afford to do so cos we still beat them.

We are a noble bunch.

He was world class that day. :verymad: Goram said one time that was one of his best moments in football..

How about Elvis's behaviour when he came back to play for Celtic at Tynecastle, or was that the compete opposite of noble ?

The Great Khali

Lovenkrands applauding us as we sarcastically applauded him when he came over to take a corner at Ibrox :lol: . Possibly my favourite ever domestic away game. We had already secured second and everyone just went along to party! reading papers and such.

And the not very noble security who chucked folk out for starting a conga! :down:

Neil McCann will always be a top guy for me for the way he signed a new contract with Hearts so we could get at least 1.6m for him.

Not really a "noble" gesture but when we played Celtic a few weeks back, Samaras made sure he shook the hands of all the mascots - I thought that was quite nice

Archived