What the Hell is happening to music!?

Alan_R

Scrolling through the line up to 2000 trees festival. They usually have some decent 'underground' bands and Freeze The Atlantic and Max Raptor are amongst those playing this year (both decent). As i was going through the rest a few things struck me:

-lack of vocals. Astonishing amount of bands purely doing instrumental.

-covering it up with the idea a few electronic beeps will sound cool and 'original'.

-A rammy of uptempo noises constitutes a song.

Man it sucks balls. :(

Don't know if JKB is really the place to discuss it but give me =Reuben=, Hundred Reasons, Million Dead, Old Biffy, Fighting With Wire, Funeral For A Friend, Jetplane Landing, Feeder, Muse... over this any day.

Johanes de Silentio

Scrolling through the line up to 2000 trees festival. They usually have some decent 'underground' bands and Freeze The Atlantic and Max Raptor are amongst those playing this year (both decent). As i was going through the rest a few things struck me:

-covering it up with the idea a few electronic beeps will sound cool and 'original'.

Don't know if JKB is really the place to discuss it but give me =Reuben=, Hundred Reasons, Million Dead, Old Biffy, Fighting With Wire, Funeral For A Friend, Jetplane Landing, Feeder, Muse... over this any day.

I was with you all the way right up intil your last paragraph, mate.

I half agree, the early to mid 00's had plenty awesome bands breaking through and there aren't as many today but there are plenty of decent new-ish bands out there. The Xcerts, Dinosaur Pile Up, Tiger Please, Straight Lines and Blakfish are all excellent. Then you've also got the likes of Deaf Havana, Young Guns and We Are The Ocean, who might have a bit of stigma attached coming from the scene that they do, but have all produced excellent albums within the last year or so and are rightfully doing pretty well for themselves.

I half agree, the early to mid 00's had plenty awesome bands breaking through and there aren't as many today but there are plenty of decent new-ish bands out there. The Xcerts, Dinosaur Pile Up, Tiger Please, Straight Lines and Blakfish are all excellent. Then you've also got the likes of Deaf Havana, Young Guns and We Are The Ocean, who might have a bit of stigma attached coming from the scene that they do, but have all produced excellent albums within the last year or so and are rightfully doing pretty well for themselves.

Think we obviously like the same sort of stuff.

Sure Blakfish split? Dinosaur Pile-Up I liked alot when I first heard them (although I've been told they are a bit of a let down live)

Stuff like The Xcerts that everyone is getting excited about just doesn't do it for me.

Last band I was properly excited about was Reuben. Man, I miss them.

I was with you all the way right up intil your last paragraph, mate.

Reuben in particular are my all time favourite band. Think Lenmann is a genius.

Realise its not everyone cup of tea but whats your flavour?

Ryan Jarman

The Cribs are back as a three piece and that's good enough for me. Killed it at the liquid rooms last week and the new songs are much better without the Johnny Marr influence of the last album imo, back to the shouty singalong choruses instead of adding a jangly guitar line.

Also loving the new Arctic Monkeys track, they've taken a much better direction since there first two albums. Just waiting on the new Courteeners album dropping this year and I'm all set

As soon as the fad on 'wub-wub-wub' dubstep is over and we can get back to some good new bands breaking through the better.

So you don't like electronic sounding music but like variations of rock. My suggestion is don't listen to the genre you don't like and listen to the ones you do. There is plenty good music out there right now.

So you don't like electronic sounding music but like variations of rock. My suggestion is don't listen to the genre you don't like and listen to the ones you do. There is plenty good music out there right now.

Eh.. Naw. I didn't say I like or dislike electronic music.

For what its worth I LOVE electronic music. Dance like SASH!, Chicane and Calvin Harris. Im big on other stuff like Chromeo and The Bag Raiders as well.

I just meant within that genre of music. British rock is lacking. There alot of decent indie bands if you're into that sort of thing but I like my rock a little more raw.

My points were within the genre of music i usually love, so I guess you really missed my point.

The Cribs are back as a three piece and that's good enough for me. Killed it at the liquid rooms last week and the new songs are much better without the Johnny Marr influence of the last album imo, back to the shouty singalong choruses instead of adding a jangly guitar line.

Also loving the new Arctic Monkeys track, they've taken a much better direction since there first two albums. Just waiting on the new Courteeners album dropping this year and I'm all set

As soon as the fad on 'wub-wub-wub' dubstep is over and we can get back to some good new bands breaking through the better.

I didn't think the new songs were up to much at all.

Rock isn`t the same these days. Rock bands many moons ago had a lead singer with a strong, real man`s voice....now most sound like jumped up teenagers who`s voice hasn`t broken yet.....there are a one or two good bands but that`s nothing compared to how many quality bands ye had 25, 30 years ago....

The People's Chimp

Scrolling through the line up to 2000 trees festival. They usually have some decent 'underground' bands and Freeze The Atlantic and Max Raptor are amongst those playing this year (both decent).

Must be up there as amongst the worst band names ever.

Tommy Wiseau

It's a good thing you can't find bands like this these days.

Trust me. :greggy:

Johanes de Silentio

Reuben in particular are my all time favourite band. Think Lenmann is a genius.

Realise its not everyone cup of tea but whats your flavour?

I totally agree that music is subjective, and that getting old has a lot to do with not liking modern music - however, I do actually think that pop/rock music just isn't as good as it has been in the past.

Obviously, there are decent artists at work these days, and a lot of shit music was made in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, but I honestly think that, in general, pop/rock music is at it's lowest ebb since rock music first appeared.

Having said that, just take a look at the shite that I like to listen to:

The Blue Nile, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Stranglers, Squeeze, XTC, Talk Talk, King Crimson, Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Jellyfish, Yes, early Genesis, Radiohead, Julian Cope - stuff like that.

I've got some ******* nerve commenting on other people's taste, haven't I? :D

InNothingWeTrust

Alan_R kens the script! :thumbsup:

I'm in exactly the same boat as you mate. Reuben are my favourite band ever and there aren't many bands that get me excited these days.

My most recent purchases have been Enter Shikari and Pulled Apart By Horses. Shikari's new album took a while, but has grown on me and is now a firm favourite (for now). PABH had a sensational first album and the second one is just as good TBH, but their lyrics can be a bit shit at times.

I think there are some good bands out there, it's just a case of looking. I think it's a case of there being so many bands nowadays thanks to it being so easy to put music out to the world. Radio and magazines just try to pick up on every band so they can champion the "we've supported them from the start" line, so it's difficult to pick out the good from all the shite.

Just got to look harder!

I totally agree that music is subjective, and that getting old has a lot to do with not liking modern music - however, I do actually think that pop/rock music just isn't as good as it has been in the past.

Obviously, there are decent artists at work these days, and a lot of shit music was made in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, but I honestly think that, in general, pop/rock music is at it's lowest ebb since rock music first appeared.

Having said that, just take a look at the shite that I like to listen to:

The Blue Nile, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Stranglers, Squeeze, XTC, Talk Talk, King Crimson, Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Jellyfish, Yes, early Genesis, Radiohead, Julian Cope - stuff like that.

I've got some ******* nerve commenting on other people's taste, haven't I? :D

It`s true shite music is made in every decade but when you talk of music that is good quality and stands the test of time there`s no doubt for me the decades you mention are/were the best(excl the 90`s). Memorable songs and great music went down hill fast once the 90`s kicked in imo....

Right across all the different types of music pop, rock etc.. it was far better and more consistent back through those decades.

Remember, a decade is a long time and im not saying there hasn`t been good music post-90`s til now , its just not as much in abundance imo as the past...

Archived