Foulkes seeing it like it is

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

By GEORGE FOULKES

VLADIMIR ROMANOV is a man who splits the Hearts support like nobody I've seen in a long, long time.

Some still 'Believe' he will make things right, live up to his promises and turn Hearts into the giants they can be.

Others think him nothing short of an impostor, a fraud, someone leaving broken promises littered in his wake. The truth is maybe somewhere in between. But right now, he is all Hearts have got.

It was true when I helped bring him to the club in 2006, it is just as true now.

When he arrived in Gorgie it was at a time when we faced having the ground sold from under us, possibly worse. It was why fans rushed to acclaim him, as did I. He was the white knight to slay the dragon of the day.

Yet fast forward to this season and we have mounting debts and a stuttering, underachieving team. He is no longer seen as an all-conquering hero, fear of his intent grows daily. But in between we have tasted glory. And it is that hunger for more that makes us wonder if he can provide a feast from famine.

Whether he is the real deal, few businessmen would have been given as much time from football fans as Vlad has by the ever-loyal Hearts support.

Even amid the barbs about his non-attendance, fallen stars and rising debts, criticism has been muted by comparison with say that of former owner Chris Robinson.

Yet as we face up to life in the bottom six, as the likes of Mauricio Pinilla make for the exit, voices of disharmony are growing ever louder. And it is here that Vlad can help himself. He constantly scores an own goal by forever keeping fans in the dark about what the future of Hearts holds. Unlike one of his predecessors, Wallace Mercer, who would famously call a press conference for a change in the weather.

When Wallace took the helm in 1981, the club was going under faster than a Soviet sub can dive, dive, dive.

He too was acclaimed upon his arrival and took a hands-on approach that almost brought us a title flag in 1986.

Yet despite failing to land any significant silverware, he was able to keep the fans onside by speaking to them. They knew he was one of them, he wanted only the best and would do all he could to try and achieve that.

Even when he went too far and launched his aborted bid to take over Hibs they forgave him ? because they could see his passion, feel his energy, and watch him wheel and deal to bring in players who would fight for the cause.

Hearts really were a family back then, a clan who would march into battle against all the odds, and sometimes come out winners.

There is none of that at the club now. It feels sometimes as if the fans have been tolerated and milked by the new regime, rather than embraced and fussed over, which is wrong because they remain the lifeblood of Hearts and need to feel wanted and, most of all, respected.

Take season ticket holders now feeling short changed because the last few games are being offered at a cut-price rate. We can see why the club are doing this as a marketing exercise.

But could they not have offered those who forked out in advance the chance to take along their own kids or a letter to explain?

Romanov could benefit if he stood up to be counted, let fans know what he intends to do.

He may feel he is above that, his spokesman Charlie Mann may even counsel against it given what happened when he branded journalists monkeys and his other dubious rantings. But what has he really got to lose? Unless someone puts their head up above the parapet fans will continue to fret and put away their wallets until they see tangible evidence of something better.

There is a wealth of fans' groups including the Shareholders Association, Supporters' Trust, Federation and intelligent commentators on the likes of Jambos Kickback;), Boys in Maroon and Talk O' The Toon who could help convey his message to their members and pass it down the line in the absence of a supporter's rep on the Board as previously promised.

He was quick enough to milk the headlines when everything in the garden appeared rosy, he should be man enough to do so again now.

If he leads, the fans will follow. But they will never forgive him if he lets them down again.

Elliot must take steps to dance away heartache:107years:

CALUM ELLIOT I dare say must be squirming with embarrassment after someone posted a video on YouTube of his unique dancing skills.

If not, he should be.:rolleyes:

Of course, I'll be the first to admit that my dance-floor moves leave some room for improvement these days ? but dear oh dear. It'll haunt him for the rest of his playing days no doubt, but he can still have the last laugh on the pitch.:rolleyes:

He's not had the greatest of seasons, the fans have been on his back, but what a difference if he could start banging in the goals.;)

And what an incentive.

I noticed Leslie Deans and Stevie Frail supporting the point I made in my last column about giving youth a chance.:rolleyes:

Here's hoping they grab their opportunity with both hands and set Hearts on course for a spectacular return to form ? because the only dancing I want to see next year is fans dancing on the streets of Gorgie.:cool:

well hope vlad reads this , time for a reality check , me thinks.:cool:

Gigolo-Aunt

IMO they should change his collum to a fortnight one or once a month.

Every week he says the same thing. It might hold truth, but it loses something when he just changes words around week after week.

Is there some kind of a rule on Kickback that every single Monday someone has to post a column about what Foulkes has said in the Evening News that day, regardless of whether it's the exact ****ing same as the week before?

IMO they should change his collum to a fortnight one or once a month.

Every week he says the same thing. It might hold truth, but it loses something when he just changes words around week after week.

Never again would be too soon to hear the clich?d repetitive mince from the auld red-nosed sweetie wife.

scots civil war

at least the geezer is a voice for us lot who care about the club and the question of the "disconnection"

u cant hide from that with your child like insults of the man

everybody makes mistakes,look at rick parry ffs

I've got no problem with what he says in his column?

Guy's a good Jambo.

Let's face it, he's about the only Jambo who does get any column-inches, and we don't get anything from Vlad, ever, any more so ....

Buffalo Bill

I wouldn't argue with anything Foulkes says there, other than it was 2004, not 2006 that he brought Vlad to the club.

Buffalo Bill

at least the geezer is a voice for us lot who care about the club and the question of the "disconnection"

Can't disagree with your comment re "disconnection" - a palpable feeling of disenfranchisement.

I assume you are prepared to forgive VR though if/when he comes good? Everybody makes mistakes...

The Real Maroonblood

The "Puppet Master" has made plenty. In fact I would say he is an expert.

I've got no problem with Foulkes saying exactly what many of us feel in a forum that is maybe more widely read than a message board.

How to write a George Foulkes column.

Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste.

What he says may be correct, but two years of the same old crap every bloody week is getting boring.

How to write a George Foulkes column.

Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste. Copy. Paste.

What he says may be correct, but two years of the same old crap every bloody week is getting boring.

Sounds just like watching Hearts :sad:

Can't disagree with your comment re "disconnection" - a palpable feeling of disenfranchisement.

I assume you are prepared to forgive VR though if/when he comes good? Everybody makes mistakes...

I'd personally enjoy nothing better than to be able to forgive VR.

How many liquid lunches did Foulkes have (at Vlad's expense) before the truth dawned ?

It must be ( and I hope it is) embarrassing for GF to be associated with the introduction of Vlad to Hearts. Cheers, George. They say a week is a long time - in politics. 3 years of shtye at Hearts is even fecking longer.

scots civil war

id be quite happy fogiving vlad for his mistakes, but his mistakes stink

theyre "premeditated" mistakes imo.............

whereas foulkes made an innocent mistake in letting the trojan horse in

thats the difference

two years of the same old crap every bloody week is getting boring.

not as boring as 2 years of Vlad strangling the life out of our football club

if Vlad sorts things out the "boring" voices and opinions of concern will stop

Me personally?

Yes of course. I hate the guy with a passion and do not believe for one second he will turn it round.

But if he does he has the ability to progress Hearts more than anyone else in my lifetime. If he turns it round and we have, say 5 or 10 years of relative success then not only will he be forgiven, he will be "loved" again

"Everybody makes mistakes" is a very throwaway line though and goes nowhere near what Vlad has done since the day be booted Burley, or more accurately since the day he gained full control of the club.

That's the concern, since the very day he has been able to make decisions autocratically nearly every footballing based decision he has made has been disasterous

That doesnt ring true as "mistakes" more incompetence or sabotage...

id be quite happy fogiving vlad for his mistakes, but his mistakes stink

theyre "premeditated" mistakes imo.............

whereas foulkes made an innocent mistake in letting the trojan horse in

thats the difference

So not mistakes at all then, in your opinion, and it is all in fact a concerted effort by VR to run Hearts into the ground and for him to gain ......(sorry, you will need to fill in the blanks here as I don't understand what VR has to gain from all of this)

Stewart MacD
Is there some kind of a rule on Kickback that every single Monday someone has to post a column about what Foulkes has said in the Evening News that day, regardless of whether it's the exact ****ing same as the week before?

All right posting about it, but why print the whole effing thing? Surely people can look it up.

Billy the Jambo

Foulkes is just telling the truth he slags off vlad every week for killing our club what is wrong with that .Some people on here still believe in the mad one which i find ridiculous and it is same people that call Foulkes an alcoholic and worse just because he has the balls to slag of our beloved leader .More power to your keyboard Mr Foulkes and keep on slagging of the mad one

Colonel Kurtz

I am no fan of Lord Dode recent stance on Iraq,however Cardownie and him found the only game in town at the time.

SOH is particular were so obsessed with getting rid of Robinson they gave no thought as to the long term alternative,the important thing is to learn from this,it is pointless to scream for Vlad to go until a viable long term alternative is identified and analysed in depth.

Foulkes has never taken a penny from Hearts,and is not alone amongst us in enjoying the odd dry sherry.

I was present with Foulkes at Parkhead when it all went wrong,Romanov seriously thought that Burley had thrown the 1 1 game against Celtic either through fear or financial gain and was furious .

I believe GF is a decent Hearts supporter who acted in the best interests of the club at the time,and does not deserve any of the vitriol directed at him on here.

...I believe GF is a decent Hearts supporter who acted in the best interests of the club at the time,and does not deserve any of the vitriol directed at him on here.

I agree.

How many liquid lunches did Foulkes have (at Vlad's expense) before the truth dawned ?

It must be ( and I hope it is) embarrassing for GF to be associated with the introduction of Vlad to Hearts. Cheers, George. They say a week is a long time - in politics. 3 years of shtye at Hearts is even fecking longer.

He doesn't seem to be the slightest bit embarassed about his associations with Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Wendy Alexander, his :booze:conviction in London, his support for the illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, his nasty campaign against certain schools in Edinburgh and so on ... so why would he have the slightest trace of embarassment about his chance to hit the board room drinks cabinet at all the SPL grounds?

Colonel Kurtz
He doesn't seem to be the slightest bit embarassed about his associations with Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Wendy Alexander, his :booze:conviction in London, his support for the illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, his nasty campaign against certain schools in Edinburgh and so on ... so why would he have the slightest trace of embarassment about his chance to hit the board room drinks cabinet at all the SPL grounds?

In fairness ,I have seen GF in boardrooms and he is the consumate profesional as an ambassador for the club,as was Doug Smith before him.

It is just as well because Robinson and Romanov were murder and made little attempt to integrate.

The problem that GF is experiencing with you and others is that he is the only visible target at the moment

In fairness ,I have seen GF in boardrooms and he is the consumate profesional as an ambassador for the club,as was Doug Smith before him.

It is just as well because Robinson and Romanov were murder and made little attempt to integrate.

The problem that GF is experiencing with you and others is that he is the only visible target at the moment

I have no problem with Foulkes about his role and time at Hearts.

I understand that Ogilvie is now doing all the work for our supposed board in terms of the ambassadorial role at games etc. The pretend board at Hearts are laughable.

I'm not a fan of his politics but I am a fan of George Foulkes the Jambo.

I'm surprised by much of the criticism levelled at him amongst the support, and I wonder if any of his detractors can hand on heart say that they wouldn't have done exactly as he did back in 2004 had they been in his position. If you had been handed the opportunity to introduce someone who would save our club, wouldn't you all have done it too?

I know I would have bitten their arm off, never mind their hand.

At least he hasn't slunk away back into the shadows and claimed to be too busy with politics to get involved when things aren't quite so rosy in the Gorgie garden. He's still talking and he's still getting column inches, something rarely afforded to Jambos these days.

Strip away all the preconceptions about who wrote it.

Forget anything about it being recycled, or "old news" or boring.

It's bang on.

Buffalo Bill

I get the impression Foulkes is trying to publicly 'persuade' Vlad to change, rather than simply slag him of per se.

He is miffed at the turnaround and probably embarrased at being partly responsible for this, but I agree with much of what he says.

Like me, GF just wants Romanov to get a ****ing grip.

Buffalo Bill

I get the impression Foulkes is trying to publicly 'persuade' Vlad to change, rather than simply slag him of per se.

He is miffed at the turnaround and probably embarrased at being partly responsible for this, but I agree with much of what he says.

Buffalo Bill

That's my take on it.

Buffalo Bill

Yup. Change a few things around and it could almost read like a letter directly to Vlad himself.

The main press might not be on Vlad's list of things he wants to see but anything written by Foulkes might well be. I hope so anyway.

Clarkserino

Buffalo Bill

Spot on BB. Foulkes has never hidden from the fact that he is partly responsible.

As for everyone going on about the Copy and Paste nature of his articles, they should probably look at about 80% of the threads/posts on this site. Face it, he is a diehard Hearts fan like all of us who is concerned about the future of the club. He is in a position where his voice can be heard louder than most of us, hence you won't find me complaining about his column. It's something we've been lacking because we rely on VR's arsepiece Charlie Mann showing up in Diggers for a pint and a chat every now and again.

I reckon his column should be daily, and he should copy and paste all he can so those in power get the message.

Rudolf's Mate
I've got no problem with what he says in his column?

Guy's a good Jambo.

Let's face it, he's about the only Jambo who does get any column-inches, and we don't get anything from Vlad, ever, any more so ....

Exactly mate..... What would we rather he do??? Just crawl under a rock and never speak out again?!?

This is turning out to be like the soviet union!!!

Archived