14 years for murder?

grumpyjambo

It?s time that the rest of Scotland washed their hands of the shame that is the Old Firm.

I hope he never breathes fresh air again ? but we all know he will.

Death is too good for ****s like that.

Unlikely he'll get out after 14. Usually have to wait a few years after earliest parole date.

So why did the judge then not make it longer?

Supposedly he was "remorseful". So remorseful that he buggered off to boast about his attacking "some random" to his mates, and only handed himself in when his mother shopped him.

I'd suggest a sentencing tariff that puts the murderer away for a minimum 20 years PLUS a year for every year the victim would have lived (subject to the prevailing actuarial average life figures at the time of the crime).

That way this murdering ******* would have to do 75 years. Perhaps THAT would act as a deterrent - because current weak sentencing doesn't.

As does your eyesight, or interpretation of text.

No, he could be out after 14 years for murdering an innocent bystander.

Johanes de Silentio

The fact that he went home to get a baseball bat confirms the kind of scum that he undoubtedly is.

A waste of two lives.

No, he could be out after 14 years for murdering an innocent bystander.

That's not what you said or your thread title says.

COULD being the important word left out in both.

Patrick Bateman

That way this murdering ******* would have to do 75 years. Perhaps THAT would act as a deterrent - because current weak sentencing doesn't.

Yes, what we need is an American style justice system, which is practically flawless and has lead to reduced crime rates.

:keys:

Interesting that they very carefully and obviously leave out which teams the two involved parties were supporters of. And probably very sensible.

It's a life sentence, he'll be serving that sentence for the rest of his life.

Granted, some of that sentence will be served in the community, should he be deemed fit and safe to be in the community, which it should be noted he was when the attack took place. At least if and when he is paroled he'll be assessed as safe and overseen whilst he's on parole.

He might get parole after 14 years, or 16 or 18 and yes, that's probably not enough time in prison.

How much time in prison would make up for what he did?

The People's Chimp

That's not what you said or your thread title says.

COULD being the important word left out in both.

That's true, but notwithstanding that, it does appear to be a fairly lenient term.

Granted, some of that sentence will be served in the community, should he be deemed fit and safe to be in the community, which it should be noted he was when the attack took place. At least if and when he is paroled he'll be assessed as safe and overseen whilst he's on parole.

He might get parole after 14 years, or 16 or 18 and yes, that's probably not enough time in prison.

I don't think there is any justice that serves to balance the scales after a murder such as this one.

Everyone's a loser here.

Society needs to find ways to prevent these things from happening in the first place.

I don't think we ever will.

Absolutely disgusting vermin, complete dreg of society. People like that are total wasters and a drain on the state.

Interesting that they very carefully and obviously leave out which teams the two involved parties were supporters of. And probably very sensible.

True but all the local bams in East Kilbride will know though.

I don't know how it is done there, but here there is a similar situation for life sentences. After and it could be fourteen years the convicted person can apply for parole. When this happens a review is held by a committee. His efforts at rehabilitation by following programs, general behaviour whilst incarcerated are all considered. The big draw back is that relatives of the victim are required to give evidence about the crime and its affect on them. In some cases this is not as bad as others, but in some there was horrendous evidence about the crime, and in fact no one expects the applicant to be released. There was one convicted killer, now deceased named Clifford Robert Olson, who murdered a group of kids. He was sentenced to numerous life sentences and would never be released, but by the letter of the law was able to apply for parole. There were some who believed that he was only doing this to deliberately cause anguish to the relatives who had to appear at all the hearings, basically to give the same evidence they gave at trial. Obviously Olson's sadistic tendencies never diminished.

Yes, what we need is an American style justice system, which is practically flawless and has lead to reduced crime rates.

You would say that though wouldn't you Bateman? ;)

life for a life IMO

The only people who will get life sentences here are the victims loved ones.

kingantti1874

Ah Bateman - the JKB bastion of justice.

And that's the key word justice - rehabilition and second chances should only be considered for those who actually deserve a second chance..in my system there would be 0 chance for this particular individual to re offend in this life at least

I think that our judicial system is pretty good overall but it's systematically, completely under-estimated the expectations of your average person / voter when it comes to prison sentences and punishment. It's one of these areas where practically everyone in the UK would agree that there is something wrong but the politicians who are voted in place to represent us, don't ever act on it.

I always think that criminals seem to be sentenced to about half the number of years that I would give them personally. It must be a cost issue more than anything else because some of the jail terms i've seen mentioned in the media for horrendous, violent crimes are just laughable.

For example, a murder like this one, where a scumbag with a history of violence acts like he did, I'd expect something between 30 and 40 years in jail and then parole if he's deemed safe enough to release into the public. 14 years minimum is an insult quite frankly.

And as for his football team, well his surname gives it away.

Jeez, I hope you are never drafted for jury duty!

What's next? Measuring folks skulls or the size of their noses?

Jeez, I hope you are never drafted for jury duty!

What's next? Measuring folks skulls or the size of their noses?

Come on Boris you are long enough in the tooth.Let's not kid ourselves eh.

Archived