How crap has La Liga started to become?

vegas-voss

Real Madrid 9 points clear and absolute murder to watch just now.Is the EPL moving that far in front that even the likes of Real cannot afford to compete with the Chelsea's and Man Utd's anymore for talent.Of course it's miles better than the SPL but you watch La Liga as a nuetral and somehow have just become used to it being top drawer but the last two seasons have been rubbish.

scott_jambo
Real Madrid 9 points clear and absolute murder to watch just now.Is the EPL moving that far in front that even the likes of Real cannot afford to compete with the Chelsea's and Man Utd's anymore for talent.Of course it's miles better than the SPL but you watch La Liga as a nuetral and somehow have just become used to it being top drawer but the last two seasons have been rubbish.

:)

The "big 5" in terms of excitement (in general terms - not simply looking at this season):

1. Bundesliga

2. EPL

3. La Liga

4. Serie A

5. Ligue 1

My own, highly subjective opinion, obviously.

Buffalo Bill

I still think Spannish football has a lure about it, with great names, bespoke stadiums and good football.

The EPL has the Big Four, plus the odd push from the likes of Spurs and Everton but there is still room for dullness (Wigan v Boro anyone?).

Germany: now there's a competitive league.

Buffalo Bill

coppercrutch

Anyone see Football Italia yesterday ? I usually turn over and get bored but yesterday was a cracker. 0-0 at half time and ending up 3-1 Roma beating Udinese. Score could have been 10-9 though !!

Not seen such an open game for ages. Very strange for Seria A...

The "big 5" in terms of excitement (in general terms - not simply looking at this season):

1. Bundesliga

2. EPL

3. La Liga

4. Serie A

5. Ligue 1

UEFA Country Ranking 2008

1. Spain

2. Engerland

3. Italy

4. France

5. Germany

-

10. Scotland

I think its all about super clubs now and i think the super clubs are -

Manchester United

Chelsea

FC Barcelona

Liverpool

Arsenal

AC Milan

Real Madrid

All these teams are so big and only getting bigger.

Not seen much Spanish football this season but I would still rate it higher than what I have seen of the Premier League. The main attraction with la liga is still that most of the teams play decent football, they don't really have an equivalent to dross like Bolton and Wigan because they have a different mentality. As a league it is higher standard technically than the other big leagues, the actual competition has suffered though with the decline of sides like Depor and Valencia. I would put Deportivo at their peak up there with anything I have seen from the current Man Unt side.

The EPL is pretty pish, Arsenal - Man Unt was fecking awful. Chelsea and Liverpool are simply dreadful sides to watch, the reason the English sides have become more successful in Europe is because they can now pay over the odds for the top players and can also afford to use quality internationals as squad players rather than first teamers. It has diluted the pool of talent effectively. What it has not done is improve the quality of the football as a whole, the Premier league is pretty low grade stuff if it does not feature either Arsenal or Manure and even they often resort to dull cautious play, as we seen in the mancs game against Roma.

Serie A has improved ten fold after a very rocky patch. You now have teams like Udinese, Sampdoria and Atalanta who have never been considered as part of the elite suddenly no longer afraid to take risks and play some attacking football. That's what I have really noticed about Serie A now compared to when it was on C4 a decade ago, there is more freedom and less of a fear factor surrounding the big sides and the football is all the better for it wheras the EPL has basically done the reverse.

The EPL has the Big Four, plus the odd push from the likes of Spurs and Everton but there is still room for dullness (Wigan v Boro anyone?).

Murcia v Vallolidad? I sort of agree though. The pitches in spain and the weather mean the games tend to flow more and allow players (even poorer ones) to demonstrate technical ability. Better than some of the north of england derbies do anyway.

1. Bundesliga

2. EPL

3. La Liga

4. Serie A

5. Ligue 1

I like the Eredivison in the Netherlands also. Like the Bundesliga I find the style of football technically good, but also akin to the "British" style of play.

Can't really get into French football tbh, which isn't to say that it isn't of a high standard though.

the voice from above
UEFA Country Ranking 2008

1. Spain

2. Engerland

3. Italy

4. France

5. Germany

-

10. Scotland

I think its all about super clubs now and i think the super clubs are -

Manchester United

Chelsea

FC Barcelona

Liverpool

Arsenal

AC Milan

Real Madrid

All these teams are so big and only getting bigger.

I'd add Bayern Munich and Inter Millan to that list of super clubs...

The big two in spain are ****e at the moment as a result of average managers and debilitatng management structures, (a bit like us).

and I think an honourable mention is due to Villareal, a town of 40,000 people with a team which play, in my humble opinion, the best passing football in the world (they play like barca with none of the megastars and much more precise play and better movement). Pellegrini is a genius.

JamboRossi79
Not seen much Spanish football this season but I would still rate it higher than what I have seen of the Premier League. The main attraction with la liga is still that most of the teams play decent football, they don't really have an equivalent to dross like Bolton and Wigan because they have a different mentality. As a league it is higher standard technically than the other big leagues, the actual competition has suffered though with the decline of sides like Depor and Valencia. I would put Deportivo at their peak up there with anything I have seen from the current Man Unt side.

The EPL is pretty pish, Arsenal - Man Unt was fecking awful. Chelsea and Liverpool are simply dreadful sides to watch, the reason the English sides have become more successful in Europe is because they can now pay over the odds for the top players and can also afford to use quality internationals as squad players rather than first teamers. It has diluted the pool of talent effectively. What it has not done is improve the quality of the football as a whole, the Premier league is pretty low grade stuff if it does not feature either Arsenal or Manure and even they often resort to dull cautious play, as we seen in the mancs game against Roma.

Serie A has improved ten fold after a very rocky patch. You now have teams like Udinese, Sampdoria and Atalanta who have never been considered as part of the elite suddenly no longer afraid to take risks and play some attacking football. That's what I have really noticed about Serie A now compared to when it was on C4 a decade ago, there is more freedom and less of a fear factor surrounding the big sides and the football is all the better for it wheras the EPL has basically done the reverse.

That is a very good summary of the situation IMHO :bravo:

tommythejambo

I've always found La Liga dull, everyone just gets faaar too much time on the ball.

Gerd Muller
and I think an honourable mention is due to Villareal, a town of 40,000 people with a team which play, in my humble opinion, the best passing football in the world (they play like barca with none of the megastars and much more precise play and better movement). Pellegrini is a genius.

I was at the final game of last season (or was it the season before, anyway!) Sevilla vs Villarreal, basically either Real, Barca or Sevilla could have one the league. Villarreal had their own ideas because they had to win to make europe. They won 1-0 at Sevilla. The passing they did that day was the best I've ever seen for a team. So confident. They had Forlan who banged in alot of goals and then moved to Ath. Madrid. They had Riquelme who is one of my favourite players. So composed on the ball.

I watch more Premiership games because of the familiarity I have with the teams, players and managers, and if you follow a team like I do then it adds a little interest to a lot of games.

However, from what I have seen from La Liga this season, I think the games are much better to watch in Spain. I've not watched that many this season but what I have has been great entertainment, the same goes for the French league which I watch frequently.

I suppose it doesn't help when sky decide to go with a routine 2-0 home win for United at home to Bolton instead of Tottenham v Chelsea, which turned out to be one of the best games of the last 10 years.

I like the Eredivison in the Netherlands also. Like the Bundesliga I find the style of football technically good, but also akin to the "British" style of play.

Can't really get into French football tbh, which isn't to say that it isn't of a high standard though.

My post wasn't very clear, I now realise. I was trying to rank the leagues of the five biggest countries population-wise (in Western Europe) in terms of how exciting I find their leagues.

French football does absolutely nothing for me, in general terms. Technically very good, but the games I watch on Setanta are mostly sterile and, like you, I'd much rather watch the Eredivisie. I honestly think part of the problem in France is that the pitches all seem the length of runways - by the time a team has worked the ball from one end to the other, everyone's knackered! Years of watching football at Tynecastle, I suppose...

As i type i`m watching the Chelsea-Wigan game and it is so pedestrian at times compared to the Spanish game.

Spanish football flows beautifully and most games are end to end material.

The standard is higher throughout the league as well compared to the EPL.

Teams go to the Santiago Bernabeau or the Nou camp believing they can win.

The Sevilla-Espanol Uefa Cup final at Hampden was a great game of football, the wya finals should be.

I know it's only one game, but I watch Real tear Villareal to pieces earlier in the season. Some of the best football I've seen in years. It would have been about 30 nil (? Mixu) if they'd had Steven Fletcher up front.

the voice from above
I know it's only one game, but I watch Real tear Villareal to pieces earlier in the season. Some of the best football I've seen in years. It would have been about 30 nil (? Mixu) if they'd had Steven Fletcher up front.

yeah i remember the game.

Real walked it four nil but that's not how the game went.

Real played on the break and exploited the fact that Villareal were stuck with Pascal bloody Cygan at the back. Sneider (who i think is outstanding by the way) scored two beautiful goals (one freekick) at perfect moments of the game to basically kill things off.

Villareal did all the playing in that game, Real did all the scoring.

Archived