U19's / Academy

K1874M

Whats every ones view on Darren Murray and John Murray, whats there background CV's etc?

Know a little about John but very little about Darren.

Interested to know more about the man (Darren) who has been tasked with looking after our young'ns.

jamboinglasgow

sure I heard he was a coach at musselburgh, when McGlynn asked him to coach one of the Hearts teams, John Murry liked him so much that he gave him the permant coaching job of the U19's.

Think we need a big coach at that posistion though.

The Old Tolbooth

Darrens a huge Hearts fan, very passionate about the job he does and likes to get things right, according to his dad lol!

Darrens a huge Hearts fan, very passionate about the job he does and likes to get things right, according to his dad lol!

Sure we're all like that John and pretty sure we all couldnt coach the U19's.

basher the jambo

Darren came along and trained the charity team twice.Then came to the game at Tynie aswell. I thought the stuff he done and was telling us was really good keeped encouraging us and always had a good word to say to keep is going.

My nephew is with Hearts and has been coached by Darren for the last two years,he tells anyone who listens that DM has improved his fitness,awareness and game almost single-handedly.He also says that he does'nt suffer fools and any of the guys who cross him regret it!!!

My personal opinion is the job is a poisoned chalice, no matter how well you develop the laddies it is never enough,then you get the back stabbers with keyboards who hide behind made up names whilst trying to get others sacked.

Would you take a job coaching at Riccarton.......?

My nephew is with Hearts and has been coached by Darren for the last two years,he tells anyone who listens that DM has improved his fitness,awareness and game almost single-handedly.He also says that he does'nt suffer fools and any of the guys who cross him regret it!!!

My personal opinion is the job is a poisoned chalice, no matter how well you develop the laddies it is never enough,then you get the back stabbers with keyboards who hide behind made up names whilst trying to get others sacked.

Would you take a job coaching at Riccarton.......?

Seriously wasnt saying that, dont know enough about him to judge.

I was interested to know others thoughts, Darren or any one at hearts will expect critisisim so I dont think it should be something not discussed.

The bit in bold surprises me. Kickback couldnt sack some one, surely????!?!

Buffalo Bill

I was friends with Darren a good few years ago before losing touch.

He helped out coaching my boys club for a brief spell as he had a broken leg, and a few years later, he was part of my group of friends in our local.

All in all, a really great lad and a passionate Hearts man. I was delighted for him when I read he got the Hearts gig.

'Mon the Saughton!

Buffalo Bill

jamboinglasgow

Darren Murry

bcnamstrad131.jpg

Your fired

just kidding.

I think he knows what he is doing and if the players have a bit of an ego (like copil had) then he will either go at the player or not play them until they realise who is boss and the coach will decide who is good.

Ryan Gosling
Darren Murry

bcnamstrad131.jpg

Your fired

just kidding.

I think he knows what he is doing and if the players have a bit of an ego (like copil had) then he will either go at the player or not play them until they realise who is boss and the coach will decide who is good .

Wrong strategy. Certain players need an arm round them.

I'm sure he's passionate about Hearts, I just think we need an experienced coach of proven quality. No slight on Darren, I wouldn't sack him or anything.

jamboinglasgow
Wrong strategy. Certain players need an arm round them.

I'm sure he's passionate about Hearts, I just think we need an experienced coach of proven quality. No slight on Darren, I wouldn't sack him or anything.

I have said that before. If the U19 is the final step before senior level then someone is needed to prepare them for that. Thats why I think the U19 coach should be classified as the head coach of the youth. Darren Murry could be this new coaches assisstant or possibly take over the U17's.

Seriously wasnt saying that, dont know enough about him to judge.

I was interested to know others thoughts, Darren or any one at hearts will expect critisisim so I dont think it should be something not discussed.

My point is not exclusively aimed at you K1874M..BUT this is the fourth post about the same subject in a week...

I'm starting to think there 'could' be an agenda,HMFC do monitor kickback,first team players have been reprimanded due to posts on here,as have shop staff and ticket office staff.

jamboinglasgow
My point is not exclusively aimed at you K1874M..BUT this is the fourth post about the same subject in a week...

I'm starting to think there 'could' be an agenda,HMFC do monitor kickback,first team players have been reprimanded due to posts on here,as have shop staff and ticket office staff.

On what would they be repremanding people based on posts here? Except Clum's dancing I cant think of anything.

Still think he makes some strange choices, like taking players off before half time without them being injured. Johnny Stewart told me he once took someone off before 30 mins had been played. I also think he chops and changes the team a bit too much, this leads to some disjointed displays from what is a very talented group of players.

Now of course, it's more about the individual than the team at that age but it's my opinion (not an expert one of course) that players improve playing in a good team which helps build confidence.

Apart from that, I think a lot of what Darren says is right and makes sense to me. I'd say he's doing a decent enough job so far, we can only really tell how well he is doing in a couple of years time when a lot of these laddies are pushing for a first team place.

DM took a paycut from the Post Office to go to Hearts and he gave up the security his job offered.

Appreciate some players don't like his style but the proof will be in the next 2 or 3 years when (if) the players start coming through.

From speaking to other coaches at that level - they rate DM highly.

Ryan Gosling
Still think he makes some strange choices, like taking players off before half time without them being injured. Johnny Stewart told me he once took someone off before 30 mins had been played. I also think he chops and changes the team a bit too much, this leads to some disjointed displays from what is a very talented group of players.

I'd agree with this. He seems to shoehorn players into positions to make them work his formation, like Branimir on the right wing, Robinson on the right wing, Rapnik in midfield, Rocky at left back, hell even Copil in goals!

Nucky Thompson
I was friends with Darren a good few years ago before losing touch.

So was I mate, but more his brother Gary. I was at Darrens Wedding in the Barnton hotel many moons ago, got married on the Saturday and split from her on the Tuesday:confused: Great guy. JJ seemed to rate him in his playing days, had him at Berwick before taking him to Falkirk.

Charlie-Brown

Managing the U19's is about trying to balance various and sometimes competing needs - it's not all about just trying to win games although obviously that is an objective however it is important that all the kids get enough game time, that promising younger age group players (U17 & U15) can get the chance to step up if they're showing up well or progressing beyond the younger age group, trying out a player(s) in a different tactical formation or position within the team to see how they do / can adapt / what their full range of capabilities as a player is - sometimes this will make things appear disjointed to the onlooker.....

However if during a game Darren Murray can try out say Scott Robinson at wide left, then wide right and the in 'the hole' supporting a main striker he will have learned what that kid is capable of doing in real match circumstances - even though it might disjoint things a bit during a game - but in reality these games are about giving players sufficient game time and improving their development & performances.

Ryan Gosling

However if during a game Darren Murray can try out say Scott Robinson at wide left, then wide right and the in 'the hole' supporting a main striker he will have learned what that kid is capable of doing in real match circumstances - even though it might disjoint things a bit during a game - but in reality these games are about giving players sufficient game time and improving their development & performances.

I agree in principle, but look at Branny. Start of the season, centre forward - scores. Moved to right wing and is ineffective. Moved back up front, scores twice.

So he's moved to the right wing again, struggles and is then dropped!

DM like frail and mcgrail have benefited from the jobs for the boys strategy we use and no doubt in 5 years stevie fulton will too

we bring in average coaches and use them as they have fan support, just look at frail, he was our u19 manager and had no badges

What the hell

Its time we bring in proper coaches with experience if we want to generate our youth teams better

The likes of darren murray should be coaching boys club football whilst walking a postie route or tarring roads

Charlie-Brown
I agree in principle, but look at Branny. Start of the season, centre forward - scores. Moved to right wing and is ineffective. Moved back up front, scores twice.

So he's moved to the right wing again, struggles and is then dropped!

Maybe but he is only 1 player - also there are other strikers to accommodate - McCusker, Wallace, Cowan, Robinson etc. not forgetting Love who's been injured but who would have played more if available.

jamboinglasgow
Managing the U19's is about trying to balance various and sometimes competing needs - it's not all about just trying to win games although obviously that is an objective however it is important that all the kids get enough game time, that promising younger age group players (U17 & U15) can get the chance to step up if they're showing up well or progressing beyond the younger age group, trying out a player(s) in a different tactical formation or position within the team to see how they do / can adapt / what their full range of capabilities as a player is - sometimes this will make things appear disjointed to the onlooker.....

I would have to agree with you there, think even at U19 level you cant peg a player down at what posistion they are playing, yes you can know if they play in midfield or forward but their exact posistion may not come till after a few years. (In FM2008 I always prefer players who can play more then one posisiton as it helps a team.)

And if last weeks performance against hibs is everything to go by, your example, Scott Robinson can handle the wing as well as strike.

Nucky Thompson
mcgrail
Who??? Also DM never played for Hearts, so how was it jobs for the boys??

Who??? Also DM never played for Hearts, so how was it jobs for the boys??

I meant mcglynn and what I mean is they bring in these guys to coach youth teams and if they hang around long enough they inevitably end up in a cushty wee job, qualified or not

Lawrence the heartsworld guy is another example, given a marketing job when he doesnt seem to have any qualifications or experience in that field

Charlie-Brown
I meant mcglynn and what I mean is they bring in these guys to coach youth teams and if they hang around long enough they inevitably end up in a cushty wee job, qualified or not

Lawrence the heartsworld guy is another example, given a marketing job when he doesnt seem to have any qualifications or experience in that field

Do you believe organisations (football clubs as well as businesses or public sector) should give career development opportunities to existing staff or should they always go to market & bring in the best external people for any job position?

Toxteth O'Grady

For what it's worth I think if we are going to cherry pick good youngsters from all over the world with the promise of great coaching and first team experience then the least we can do is to employ good coaches with a pedigree of developing youngsters and then give them some first team experience.

A guy from Musselburgh with no track record doesn't fit the bill IMO

Do you believe organisations (football clubs as well as businesses or public sector) should give career development opportunities to existing staff or should they always go to market & bring in the best external people for any job position?

Id buy that if frail, or murray had been strudying for their badges all along, but they have only just started frail on them

Colonel Kurtz

I wonder who is behind it,was there not a "jumping of the gun" prior to JM getting his new contract.

Charlie-Brown
For what it's worth I think if we are going to cherry pick good youngsters from all over the world with the promise of great coaching and first team experience then the least we can do is to employ good coaches with a pedigree of developing youngsters and then give them some first team experience.

A guy from Musselburgh with no track record doesn't fit the bill IMO

Maybe in an ideal world OaP then SPL clubs & the SFA would have top youth coaches working for them at every level below first team - however there are approx 30+ Academies at major English Clubs, the French, Dutch, Belgians, Spanish as well as all the major & developing nations have their demand for top youth coaches to bring through their next generations of players.

The reality is that even the Old Firm have home-grown people in these positions - at Celtic they have Tommy Burns & John Park as academy director & chief scout and Danny McGrain & others as team coaches - Rangers have Archie Gemmill & Tommy Wilson who Walter Smith poached from the SFA.

Darren Murray is a bit rough about the edges but he is still very young - he's only 37 or 38 - also he's only in charge of the U19 group not the whole youth system - prior to U19 he looked after U17 for quite a time and Christophe Berra, Eggert Jonsson, Andy Driver, Wallace, Elliot, Mole all came through his teams when they were that age group so he's not without experience of coaching youngsters - but he too is learning all the time, he's certainly well grounded in the culture of Scottish football and what is needed to compete / progress in our game.

Scottish football might be a bit crude & primitive at times although hopefully it will become better but with youngsters coming from abroad they need to adapt to the physicality of our game and be able to compete or else some kids from Paisley or Hamilton will simply brush them aside. The australians seem to cope with the competitive nature but some of the europeans seem a bit lost at times during games - they might be better players technically than their opponents but if they can't compete then it won't show. Conversely our home grown kids like D.Thomson or Woods or Robinson who are all still quite small but also skillful already know they will have to get 'wired in' if they are to make an impact and show their skills.

I know nothing about Darren that I did not read on here, as for John Murray, I have heard that he aint all he is cracked up to be.

IMO, we need to invest time and money into professionalising our coaching structure from top to bottom.

That and a big fecking brush.

No agenda from me, basically thought about it after seeing the U19's on sat and realised I knew very little about DM.

Archived