Scrapping a car

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

My Clio died today. Bit of a shame as it was in decent nick otherwise. As I'm at Uni', I can't really justify spending the money to get a new engine, especially as it's a P reg.

Do you get money for scrapping a car at the moment? I heard the Chinese are buying all the scrap they can get.

Anyone know a decent scrapyard?

:sad:

You wanna buy a new car??

Classic 1980's pimp styling Mercedes 260E. Goes like a train, just spent almost ?600 replacing all the brake pipes and getting a full service to get it through the MOT.

You know you want it!

chester copperpot
My Clio died today. Bit of a shame as it was in decent nick otherwise. As I'm at Uni', I can't really justify spending the money to get a new engine, especially as it's a P reg.

Do you get money for scrapping a car at the moment? I heard the Chinese are buying all the scrap they can get.

Anyone know a decent scrapyard?

:sad:

Think there's a place that picks them up, dont think they pay anything though mate. There used to be a scrappies down the end of salamander street down leith, but think its further down as you head down to the docks. Think they might pay you, but its pennies. Better getting it taped up and in a paper for ?100 so some daftie buys it. There's tons of them down leith.

ArmiyaRomanova

Don't expect a great deal of money for it - I got ?30 for a Peugot I scrapped a year ago, and had to ring round to find someone who'd

a) pay me money

B) come and take it away

Punt it on Gumtree as a "sale or repair" job. Doesn't cost anything and is browsed by the type of motorist who are looking for older cars and parts.

chester copperpot
Punt it on Gumtree as a "sale or repair" job. Doesn't cost anything and is browsed by the type of motorist who are looking for older cars and parts.

Good call actually, ask for offers. That'll get you some cash. ;)

Carl Weathers

The pimp mobile is tempting, unfortunately a bicycle is more realistic at the moment!

Is Gumtree seriously worth a try? It has alloy wheels (not an amazing set)

I'll remove the radio and the brand new battery!

davemclaren
You wanna buy a new car??

Classic 1980's pimp styling Mercedes 260E. Goes like a train, just spent almost ?600 replacing all the brake pipes and getting a full service to get it through the MOT.

You know you want it!

Pimp styling? :eek:

Email top gear maybe they will use it in a challenge.

Remember when Jeremy bought a Volvo for a ?1 as it would cost the garage more to scrap it, classic.

I think you will be amazed at how much you will get for a car from the scrapys at the moment, steel prizes are rocketing. Give Daltons, Hermiston or Wm Waugh, Granton a phone but I would guess you will get a three figure sum for it.

I think you will be amazed at how much you will get for a car from the scrapys at the moment, steel prizes are rocketing. Give Daltons, Hermiston or Wm Waugh, Granton a phone but I would guess you will get a three figure sum for it.

seriously?

my car died just at xmas, and i was quoted ?1700 in repairs (timing belt has gone) otherwise there isn't anything wrong with it!

02 renault megane too!

i'll be looking them up through the week if thats the case

CompleteIdiot
seriously?

my car died just at xmas, and i was quoted ?1700 in repairs (timing belt has gone) otherwise there isn't anything wrong with it!

02 renault megane too!

i'll be looking them up through the week if thats the case

You probably did a lot of damage to the engine. Did you not have the belt replaced before 60 thousand miles? If the belt snaps, bits of valves get stuck in pistons.

As the car is a 02, it is probably worth more in bits. Your headlamps and indicators are probably worth ?100 alone. They sell on the salvageable bits of the car, so it is definitely worth their time for a newish car. I'd get in touch with breakers yards and ask for offers.

completeidiot

i was barely driving at the time, i was literally pulling out of my parking space so i can't really imagine there would be much damage to the valves, unless the fact the engine was cold has made it worse than if i was driving, but knowing beggar all about cars i couldn't say.

if you, or anyone else knows of a good breakers yard that won't rip me off cos i'm a bird who knows fork all, then i'd be grateful

Mac Elliott

my megane died the end of last year ( must remember to put oil in!!!!!)

got offered 55 quid from the scrappy!!!!!!!!

sold it for 240 on ebay spares or repair :)

vladtheexhaler

What has the greater bearing on the value of a car, the age or the mileage? I've recently inherited a 1.25 fiesta finesse with 17,000 miles on the clock, although it is almost 8 years old. JenningsFord are selling the exact same model with twice the mileage for ?4500 but it is 3 years newer than mine. No intention of selling it but it's impossible to find the same model of that age with a similar mileage and was curious as to it's value.

http://www.jennings-ford.co.uk/usedsales/view.aspx?cr=NU53PHK&rf=results.aspx%3fpg%3d1%26mk%3dFord%26md%3dFiesta%26pf%3d0%26pt%3d0%26kw%3d%26tr%3d0%26ml%3d0%26ag%3d0%26fd%3d0%26of%3d0%26st%3dprice

CompleteIdiot
completeidiot

i was barely driving at the time, i was literally pulling out of my parking space so i can't really imagine there would be much damage to the valves, unless the fact the engine was cold has made it worse than if i was driving, but knowing beggar all about cars i couldn't say.

if you, or anyone else knows of a good breakers yard that won't rip me off cos i'm a bird who knows fork all, then i'd be grateful

It doesn't really matter if the engine was hot or cold. The valves are 'timed' by the timing belt. Basically, the valves open and close to let air and fuel in and exhaust out. They should be closed when the piston gets to the top. They move into the space a big metal piston was in while the piston isn't there it under normal operation. If the timing belt snaps, the valves are left open and are left in the way of a piston.

It sounds daft that an engine can be wrecked because of a bit of rubber belt, but that is really how easy it is for it to happen. That's why it is crucial to have the timing belt changed before it can snap through the rubber weathering.

There are plenty of scrap part dealers online that will make an offer:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=scrap+cars+make+me+an+offer&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

You might get a better offer if you look through the Edinburgh Yellow Pages though. Try the likes of Sports Car Breakers etc.

CompleteIdiot
What has the greater bearing on the value of a car, the age or the mileage? I've recently inherited a 1.25 fiesta finesse with 17,000 miles on the clock, although it is almost 8 years old. JenningsFord are selling the exact same model with twice the mileage for ?4500 but it is 3 years newer than mine. No intention of selling it but it's impossible to find the same model of that age with a similar mileage and was curious as to it's value.

http://www.jennings-ford.co.uk/usedsales/view.aspx?cr=NU53PHK&rf=results.aspx%3fpg%3d1%26mk%3dFord%26md%3dFiesta%26pf%3d0%26pt%3d0%26kw%3d%26tr%3d0%26ml%3d0%26ag%3d0%26fd%3d0%26of%3d0%26st%3dprice

Age. Warranties are still intact. Even if the mechanical one isn't, there is probably still a corrosion one effective. The other issue is that car age is featured on the registration plate.

There is an exception to this rule now because of the London congestion charge. Older larger engined cars of the identical model as newer ones may pay less tax.

i wouldn't mind so much, but its barely done 40 thousand miles and was just out of an MOT :evilno:

CompleteIdiot
i wouldn't mind so much, but its barely done 40 thousand miles and was just out of an MOT :evilno:

Did the belt snap? When is the belt meant to be replaced? You might have a case against someone.

vladtheexhaler
Age. Warranties are still intact. Even if the mechanical one isn't, there is probably still a corrosion one effective. The other issue is that car age is featured on the registration plate.

There is an exception to this rule now because of the London congestion charge. Older larger engined cars of the identical model as newer ones may pay less tax.

Ach well! Any idea what mine might be worth then, ?2.50?

CompleteIdiot
Ach well! Any idea what mine might be worth then, ?2.50?

You buy older low mileage cars because you are buying a new car without the kudos. You save on purchasing and repair costs. Isn't that enough? ;)

well,

the story of the car is the car was written off a week after ownership, and had been bought my the garage mum and i used. it wasn't internally damaged, just the side panelling.

mum gave the car to me just prior to passing away, so it has its sentimental value if nothing else, which is why i've not scrapped it in 3 months.

i simply can't afford to have it repaired so not known what to do with it.

i have no idea of the actual damage and the mechanic who quoted ?1700 said simply he'd not know how bad the damage was without getting into it, but that he had a girl in there with the same age/model and that was what it cost her.

my garage is in the stick, out past gowkshill, and since i'm the only driver, have no-one to tow me anywhere, so at a bit of a loss what to do to be honest.

in so far as whether it was about to go, or due to go, i have absolutely no idea, only know the mileage and where to put oil & water

edited to add, that my mum bought the car from the garage who bought and repaired it after being written off, and that having used them for a few different cars over some time, that the mechanic had never ripped us off or been anything but straight in the past, with us

vladtheexhaler
You buy older low mileage cars because you are buying a new car without the kudos. You save on purchasing and repair costs. Isn't that enough? ;)

Can't have any cause for complaint with a free car although it's cost me a wee bit in driving lessons, if I don't pass my second test in a couple of weeks then it could well go to the highest bidder!

CompleteIdiot
well,

the story of the car is the car was written off a week after ownership, and had been bought my the garage mum and i used. it wasn't internally damaged, just the side panelling.

mum gave the car to me just prior to passing away, so it has its sentimental value if nothing else, which is why i've not scrapped it in 3 months.

i simply can't afford to have it repaired so not known what to do with it.

i have no idea of the actual damage and the mechanic who quoted ?1700 said simply he'd not know how bad the damage was without getting into it, but that he had a girl in there with the same age/model and that was what it cost her.

my garage is in the stick, out past gowkshill, and since i'm the only driver, have no-one to tow me anywhere, so at a bit of a loss what to do to be honest.

in so far as whether it was about to go, or due to go, i have absolutely no idea, only know the mileage and where to put oil & water

It sounds like it was a Cat D write off before you bought it. It should have been certificated as safe when it was sold on for insurance reasons.

What exactly was the problem with it? How can he know the timing belt has gone if he hasn't seen it?

my own mech hasn't cos i can't get it out to him, i asked, or rather, sent my dad down to the garage at the end of my street to look at it, cos i really haven't had the time to do it myself.

so it was a different garage that told me the belt has gone. he went in to look, but can't tell me the damage on the valves

CompleteIdiot
my own mech hasn't cos i can't get it out to him, i asked, or rather, sent my dad down to the garage at the end of my street to look at it, cos i really haven't had the time to do it myself.

so it was a different garage that told me the belt has gone. he went in to look, but can't tell me the damage on the valves

It is pretty major if it has gone like I was saying. It isn't actually the valve damage that is the problem. It's cylinder damage that is going to cost. It might be worth finding a replacement engine. It would probably be cheaper.

thats still a bit beyond my finances right now though. if anyone wants to buy a house though.......

I had a spate of bad luck with my car last year when firstly some undesirable tried to nick it and when the locks somehow held fast, they succeeded only in bending/buckling the driver's door. There was a gap of a good few inches between the top of the door and the car itself so not only did I have to crawl in and out the passenger side, I also got rained on. Grrr.

I then started getting this odd metallic clicking noise every time I pulled left on the steering wheel and despite trying to ignore that for as long as possible, it got louder and then the wheel on the same side started to feel a bit wobbly so I thought it best not to dice with death and stopped using it. Unfortunately, I then found out that the mechanic we'd been using for years had decided he would retire and well...that was that really...It has now been sitting in my parents driveway for about a year and I'm told that even if I charge the battery and get it running, the brakes will probably have seized anyway. Argh.

Anyhoo, a friend mentioned this place out at Sighthill who claim to buy any car regardless of age or condition. I had a chat with them and the guy reckons they might be able to give me ?100...for a K reg Micra that hasn't moved in a year??? Hmmm.

You can get an approximate value/offer if you fill out the relevant details on their website though: http://www.webuyanycar.com

hmmmm

according to that website red, i can get ?1025 for the motor subject to inspection

might give them a wee call. can you PM or text me their number?

hmmmm

according to that website red, i can get ?1025 for the motor subject to inspection

might give them a wee call. can you PM or text me their number?

Hey missus...Did you fill out the parts about damage etc? Over a grand even if the engine is fecked? Happy days!

I have a number in my email somewhere, will dig it out and send it over ;)

Carl Weathers

Think I've managed to get ?70 from a mate with a towtruck.

I also have a decent JVC cd player for sale!:) I doubt I'll buy a car until I've finished Uni next year, so may as well flog it.

I'm a bit gutted at letting the old car go. It's a bit like putting your cat down...:sad: Except worse, as the motor was very handy!

CompleteIdiot
I had a spate of bad luck with my car last year when firstly some undesirable tried to nick it and when the locks somehow held fast, they succeeded only in bending/buckling the driver's door. There was a gap of a good few inches between the top of the door and the car itself so not only did I have to crawl in and out the passenger side, I also got rained on. Grrr.

I then started getting this odd metallic clicking noise every time I pulled left on the steering wheel and despite trying to ignore that for as long as possible, it got louder and then the wheel on the same side started to feel a bit wobbly so I thought it best not to dice with death and stopped using it. Unfortunately, I then found out that the mechanic we'd been using for years had decided he would retire and well...that was that really...It has now been sitting in my parents driveway for about a year and I'm told that even if I charge the battery and get it running, the brakes will probably have seized anyway. Argh.

Anyhoo, a friend mentioned this place out at Sighthill who claim to buy any car regardless of age or condition. I had a chat with them and the guy reckons they might be able to give me ?100...for a K reg Micra that hasn't moved in a year??? Hmmm.

You can get an approximate value/offer if you fill out the relevant details on their website though: http://www.webuyanycar.com

That sounds like a worn CV joint.

he is still only a phone call away!!!!!!!

If it was out of MoT why were you driving it? Unless to a pre-booked MoT. :P

You need to get somebody to look at it, it might not be a snapped timing belt, and even if it is it might not have damaged pistons etc, the worst case might be a new valve or two, which should not cost too much.

Or Bernard Hunter at Gilmerton, a Jambo too. :cool:

I sent my car off last summer, got ?70 from Henry Grays in kirkaldy and they picked it up

Could have probably done better but couldnt be hassled with it, they were pretty good, showed up almost straight away, paid the cash and did all the paperwork quickly

A few places said they would take it but their collection times were pretty bad

Ray Winstone

I just forked out for new timing belt after 36,000 miles as my mechanic said it was sounding bad (I knew it was making odd noises) but its obviously worth it to prevent having to buy a new engine!

Cost 350 quid for timing belt, engine coolant and break fluid changes.

Its worth it folks if you dont want to get yourself in these situations to spend on yearly checkups (cheaper than a full service) The chap I go to will give your car a good checkover for just short of 50quid!

Archived