U19s switch to U20s next season?

Tasavallan

I have heard from a PY youth coach, that the U19s will be scrapped from the end of this season and replaced with U20s for next season. This to apply to both the SPL and SFL U19s.

There will still be U16/U17s but what is not clear is whether a new U18s level will be introduced.

Can anyone confirm whether this is still at discussion stage or is it definitely going to happen?

Problem Officer?

Why is it U19 instead of U21 anyway, out of interest?

Surely there's a better chance of players developing by the time they're 21 rather than 19.

Why is it U19 instead of U21 anyway, out of interest?

Surely there's a better chance of players developing by the time they're 21 rather than 19.

Originally there was a Reserve League (still is in SFL) and also to mirror the age groups in Europe.

In England they have remained at U16, U18 then Reserves.

jamboinglasgow

The plan is to make it an under 20 league, with an overage goalkeeper and two overage outfield players allowed in the squad. I think clubs are expecting it to happen.

What I have heard is that they are making under 17s a competitive league.

It's a stepping stone to some clubs developing Colt teams IMO. Conforms to the key goals of the SFA Performance Strategy.

The hope is talented youngsters development will go from Regional Elite Performance Centre, to under-17s, to Colt Team, to First Team.

The plan is to make it an under 20 league, with an overage goalkeeper and two overage outfield players allowed in the squad. I think clubs are expecting it to happen.

If there's no prospect of a reserve league, or having B teams playing at a meaningful level, this has to be an improvement on the current system. It should bring youngsters closer to SPL level, and will allow some of the squad players to get more game time.

I think this will benefit Hearts tbh, had it been this season then players we have had unable to go on loan due to involvement with the first team squad would have been able to pick up/maintain match sharpness with the U-20's on weeks they weren't involved on the park as the U-20's are scheduled to play on Wednesday nights as opposed to the current saturday U-19 fixtures.

Additionally the move to U-20 will allow us to give young players an extra year to bridge the gap to the first team and also a bit of extra leeway with young players that like Aaron Murdoch suffered a bad injury and is out of contract this summer so the extra year may seem him have his contract extended for the extra year.

jamboinglasgow

Something worth noting is that the plan is that the games will take place during the week (on a fixed day, have heard Tuesday but Monday has been mentioned before) and that the games will be held at the home teams stadium (i.e. Tynecastle for Hearts.) This is to give players experence of playing at proper stadia as well as trying to attract more supporters to the ground to watch up and coming talent.

Crazy Idea why should we keep paying wages to a squad of say 18 or 19 players for another year when in all probabilty 5 or 6 if lucky will make first team. Some of those players will have been paid for four years on from what we hear 200/300 per week

Crazy Idea why should we keep paying wages to a squad of say 18 or 19 players for another year when in all probabilty 5 or 6 if lucky will make first team. Some of those players will have been paid for four years on from what we hear 200/300 per week

I think paying players in excess of 1k a week who aren't playing regularly & could be replaced with younger players is more of a problem to be looked at (Obua/Suso/Kyle/Barr)

Jambof3tornado

Something worth noting is that the plan is that the games will take place during the week (on a fixed day, have heard Tuesday but Monday has been mentioned before) and that the games will be held at the home teams stadium (i.e. Tynecastle for Hearts.) This is to give players experence of playing at proper stadia as well as trying to attract more supporters to the ground to watch up and coming talent.

Nooooo,get them back to forthbank(sorry dunblane doubletree stadium),coz then I can dive along whether I am working or not!!!thumbsup.gif

I have heard from a PY youth coach, that the U19s will be scrapped from the end of this season and replaced with U20s for next season. This to apply to both the SPL and SFL U19s.

There will still be U16/U17s but what is not clear is whether a new U18s level will be introduced.

Can anyone confirm whether this is still at discussion stage or is it definitely going to happen?

The U20 league is definitely happening, they were discussing it on the radio a week ago. Teams are going to be allowed three overage players. However because of complaints from clubs, they are now considering having a reserve league. The initial discussions are to have three or four u20 fixtures a month and one reserve fixture a month. So the reserve fixture would be on the last week of the month with the u20 fixtures the other weeks. This is what was being proposed but no decision yet on reserve league.

Because those 5 or 6 players that make it through to the first team can't play in a league by themselves?

What I have heard is that they are making under 17s a competitive league.

SFL already have a competitive U17s league plus a non-competitive U16s. SPL now introducing a competitive U16/U17 league.

On a purely personal basis (as it effects my son) I hope they do introduce U18s, as has been mentioned already, the leap from U17 to U20 is too great.

If it's Monday/Tuesday, that'd be evening k.o.'s, surely? That would be awesome. :)

Archived