Todays Scotsman

Jambosr1985

jamboinglasgow

I think it is a bit of both, I do think he is in the squad on merit, but I do think that John Murray will be emphasising the need in the future to develop the youngsters in the first team. It is something Wotte has said before that he prefers Directors of Football to push managers to look to playing youngsters more as it is club policy (though this involves also talking with the manager when he wants an experienced player, that the club think that long term they would rather he start playing a certain youngster who while not as experienced now, in a season and a halfs time with playing would be better then the experienced play.)

Also Paulo and Darren have both mentioned how they talk to each other about the youngsters so I am sure that Darren would speak positively about Jason, and if Paulo trusts his judgement then I am sure he would be open to having him on the bench.

Footballfirst

I bumped into John Murray at Saughton Park last weekend, watching Hutchie v Tynecastle at U13 level. He spoke about the need for Holt to be playing regularly. It doesn't make sense for him to be sitting on the bench with the first team week after week and not getting any competitive football. However, I can't see any more than a couple of U19s being introduced at any one time into the first team.

It may leave a bit of a dilema for Darren Murray too with the return of Walker and Smith at the end of the month and Kevin McHattie just back from Alloa. Will all four of them be restored to the U19 side? On the other hand, Darren has been bringing through a number of promising youngsters into the U19 side. Will he leave out the likes of Billy King or Sam Nicholson to accommodate the returning loan players?

Charlie-Brown

I bumped into John Murray at Saughton Park last weekend, watching Hutchie v Tynecastle at U13 level. He spoke about the need for Holt to be playing regularly. It doesn't make sense for him to be sitting on the bench with the first team week after week and not getting any competitive football. However, I can't see any more than a couple of U19s being introduced at any one time into the first team.

It may leave a bit of a dilema for Darren Murray too with the return of Walker and Smith at the end of the month and Kevin McHattie just back from Alloa. Will all four of them be restored to the U19 side? On the other hand, Darren has been bringing through a number of promising youngsters into the U19 side. Will he leave out the likes of Billy King or Sam Nicholson to accommodate the returning loan players?

If the right deals happen and the club can move on some from Driver, Stevenson & Sutton or maybe even Templeton plus some others like Obua or Suso whose contracts are ending in the summer then it might not be so much of a problem for spaces to open up for Holt, Walker & Smith etc.

"When all the young Hearts lads were playing in the team, we felt we were maybe too easy to play against."

4 youth players is too much for first team football in the first division. That is concerning.

We_are_the_Hearts

"When all the young Hearts lads were playing in the team, we felt we were maybe too easy to play against."

4 youth players is too much for first team football in the first division. That is concerning.

McGlynn talked a lot of sense here but felt this comment was very short sighted. Fair enough he needs results but the bigger picture is these guys will need time and there will be a lot of highs and lows on the way. Basically talking about changing a style of play and a culture. Barca are proof that you don't need BIG men but we would need to change the way we play and have patience.

jamboinglasgow

McGlynn talked a lot of sense here but felt this comment was very short sighted. Fair enough he needs results but the bigger picture is these guys will need time and there will be a lot of highs and lows on the way. Basically talking about changing a style of play and a culture. Barca are proof that you don't need BIG men but we would need to change the way we play and have patience.

I think it could have been more that Hearts sent the players to the wrong team as McGlynn says later in the article

?It wasn?t the easiest time for a group of young boys to come in. Our team?s been struggling down the bottom of the league and the weather hasn?t been conducive to good football. But they gave everyone a lift with their quality.?

They came into a team that is struggling and desperate for results, 1st game it worked for them, second game they gave Ross County a good game, but did poorly with the third, so McGlynn completely changed it and reverted to a long ball game, dropping Holt and Prychnenko out, unfortunatly they somehow won that game (the Rover fans felt they were very lucky in the result) so it forced McGlynn to keep with the same formation and with a draw the next match it kept Holt out of the squad as McGlynn saw him not fitting into the long ball game. The sad thing is that they needed results as they were struggling, so McGlynn could allow a run of games playing under a new style that was supposed to happen when the players came in as every match is vital. Had they gone to a safe mid-table first division team or even a team with form in the second division such as Cowdenbeath. I remember reading Raith fans talk about how Holt was under used in games as in his position between midfield and attack the balls were just getting lobbed to the front and bypassing him.

Players like Morton and McHattie may have gone to lower league clubs but they came away as stand outs and I do think being at clubs flying at the top of the league has helped a lot.

Charlie-Brown

It's always easier to play in a winning team JiG, a truer test of players character and mentality/resilience comes when a team is not doing so well but they are still able to play their selected position and still help the team grind out a result even if that's not their best or preferred position in the team and it says a lot about a player if he's able to deal with that.

Guess The Crowd

I think it could have been more that Hearts sent the players to the wrong team as McGlynn says later in the article

?It wasn?t the easiest time for a group of young boys to come in. Our team?s been struggling down the bottom of the league and the weather hasn?t been conducive to good football. But they gave everyone a lift with their quality.?

They came into a team that is struggling and desperate for results, 1st game it worked for them, second game they gave Ross County a good game, but did poorly with the third, so McGlynn completely changed it and reverted to a long ball game, dropping Holt and Prychnenko out, unfortunatly they somehow won that game (the Rover fans felt they were very lucky in the result) so it forced McGlynn to keep with the same formation and with a draw the next match it kept Holt out of the squad as McGlynn saw him not fitting into the long ball game. The sad thing is that they needed results as they were struggling, so McGlynn could allow a run of games playing under a new style that was supposed to happen when the players came in as every match is vital. Had they gone to a safe mid-table first division team or even a team with form in the second division such as Cowdenbeath. I remember reading Raith fans talk about how Holt was under used in games as in his position between midfield and attack the balls were just getting lobbed to the front and bypassing him.

Players like Morton and McHattie may have gone to lower league clubs but they came away as stand outs and I do think being at clubs flying at the top of the league has helped a lot.

I was at that game. The 4-2 scoreline was misleading, Ross County were by miles the better team. Hopefully, there's more to come from them, but on the evidence of that day, they were nowhere near ready.

Charlie-Brown

I was at that game. The 4-2 scoreline was misleading, Ross County were by miles the better team. Hopefully, there's more to come from them, but on the evidence of that day, they were nowhere near ready.

Of course they are not ready and it would be totally unrealistic to expect them to be ready given how little senior football they've actually played however they are good talents and they are ready or at least nearly ready to be given the opportunity and subsequent opportunities to show what they can do but getting more game time and exposure is the only way they will develop and improve until such times as they are finally 'ready' ... but the same is true for every young player - they need to be playing & getting regular opportunities to get better at all aspects of their game.

No, but they are at the stage where they need to make the leap to senior football. Most people take a while to make that jump, especially when they don't know the players, systems and tactics that Raith would use.

On the other hand, it's harsh for people to criticise McGlynn for wanting to get the best results for Raith that he can, and if that means not playing some of the youngsters, then that's what he has to do. Raith aren't a feeder club, and he has to get results for them or he'll be out of a job.

I was there too and thought raith looked quite tidy for parts of the game. County were better though and I thought the score was fair.

Morton was no stand out thats for sure, played a bit better towards end of his time at Cowdenbeath.

Seeing as you display nowt but biterness towards the U19's im inclined to not believe what you're saying.

jamboinglasgow

Morton was no stand out thats for sure, played a bit better towards end of his time at Cowdenbeath.

You obviously dont speak to Cowdenbeath fans do you. Everyone I have spoken to said he had a poor spell early on his time there, but after Mickey appeared to have words with him after subbing him off, his attitude changed and he was a completely different player and one of their best players. Sorry if that is too positive for you.

My Raith Rovers supporting friends were very impressed with Holt, but thought little of Denis. Smith was excellent on his debut but his performances then faded. They've made little comment about Walker. They like Danny Thomson, but he hasn't had many starts as McGlynn is reluctant to make changes and has favourites who play regardless of form.

My friends are regulars at Stark's Park but don't go to away matches.

Gregory House M.D.

Young Hearts Run free

Is the song on the 97/98 video

:pleasing:

Everybody loves Baz

Jambosr1985, the bitterness reeks when post about the U19s. Did one of the lads shag yer bursd ?

Give it up man. I'm sure managers who deal with the lads day in day out have a better idea about them than you'll ever have.

Its not bitterness.

I am a fan of Jason Holt always have been-the rest i am not convinced.

JIG reads forums to make his opinions, players chage from week to week, Jordan Morton has a lovely left foot but i doubt he will make it with Hearts time will tell.

Of course Darren and John Murray know best not doubting that after all with their new job titles alls looking good........

Archived