What was the first proper book you read?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I enjoy the What are you reading at the moment Fred and have read some decent books after people have reviewed them on it, it got me thinking that there must be some even more obscure and interesting reads out there in the above category...

Mine was...

200px-Richard_Adams_WatershipDown.jpg

jambos are go!

Kidnapped by RLS. Still recall the passage where David Balfour arrives at his evil Uncle's house. Created a truly visual and tense atmosphere - for me anyway.

Used to read a lot when I was young, remember getting a lot of Famous Five novels from the library, but the first one I remember ordering from the Bookworm Club at school was probably the Box of Delights.

Don't really bother with books nowadays. Too shite an imagination. :(

The first proper book I read was Lance Armstrong's autobiography. Got it from my dad and when I started I thought I wouldn't enjoy it much but after a few pages I couldn't put it down.

This was mine:

hobbit-1999-pb1.gif

With Watership Down a close second. :thumbsup:

Also snap. Reading it again just now as a refresher for the movie, fantastic tale.

I dont know how I read it in primary 6 though. The language can be a bit difficult at points.

The first book I actually bought and read was The Time Machine by H G Wells, got it in James Thin. I had seen the film and decided to read the book for a home reading report for English. Arsehole of a teacher gave me about 5/20 for it, saying I had just watched the film and wrote about that!!! I was raging :verymad:

61KYVlTZqKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Read this when I was about 8 or 9, first adult book I read. Or might have been an early 633 Squadron book - hard to remember which was first.

Boaby Prentice

I can't remember what I read at School, but the first book I remember reading was Crazy Horse, Emlyn Hughes autobiography.

The earliest ones I can remember were The Secret Seven and The Famous Five.

They probably weren't the first though.

I P Knightley

Something from:

Just William

Swallows & Amazons

RLS - Kidnapped

Moonfleet

Kipling - Just So Stories.

I know that I read them all as a nipper but know idea in what order.

I P Knightley

The Biff and Chip Magic Keys books, loved them when I was wee.

I'm reading them again for the third time. I still can't remember if Biff's the girl or boy.

The first book I can remember enjoying reading is Greenvoe, by George Mackay Brown.

Greenvoe.jpg

Greenvoe, the tight-knit community on the Orcadian island of Hellya, has existed unchanged for generations. However, a sinister military/industrial project, Operation Black Star, requires the island for unspecified purposes and threatens the islanders' way of life. In this, his first novel (1972), George Mackay Brown recreates a week in the life of the island community as they come to terms with the destructiveness of Operation Black Star. A whole host of characters - The Skarf, failed fishermen and Marxist historian; Ivan Westray, boatman and dallier; pious creeler Samuel Whaness; drunken fishermen Bert Kerston; earth-mother Alice Voar, and meths-drinker Timmy Folster - are vividly brought to life in this sparkling mixture of prose and poetry. In the end Operation Black Star fails, but not before it has ruined the island. But the book ends on a note of hope as the islanders return to celebrate the ritual rebirth of Hellya.

I read a lot of Famous Five and Doctor Who books (the Target ones, Terrance Dicks was my favourite writer) when I was kid. I was a voracious reader. I read Animal Farm when I was about nine and loved it, it's still a favourite, as is 1984 which I read about a year after Animal Farm.

Carl Fredrickson

I read a lot at primary school - I cant remember the first book I read but the first book that I remember was Stig of The Dump.

A Boy Named Crow

It would have been something like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The BFG, Fantastic Mr Fox or the Magic Finger - loved Roald Dahl when I was wee!

i read so much when i was younger i honestly have no idea what the first thing i read was

used to love all the roald dahl books, had devoured most of tolkiens books by the age of 10 or 12.

one book that i always remember loving was about 2 young girls from edinburgh, one from a wealthy family and one an orphan. they met in a train station as they were being evacuated during the war. the orphan ends up going to canada and the wealthy one somewhere down south (cotswolds?)

they were meant to meet up after the war and switch back, but while they do meet again they don't swap back.

took a lot of googling, but eventually found it. searching for shona! i'm gonna have to get it and re-read it to see if it was as good as i remember!

I liked these two as a teenager, I had a thing for post-apocolyptic themes, maybe why I also love Mad Max.

syruc0.png

212bnye.png

61XCxku4LVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The first "proper grown-up" book I can really remember reading. Two stories by Pushkin; The Captain's Daughter and The Queen Of Spades. My mother got her hands on this book (same edition as in the picture) when I was about 11 and lent it to me when she finished reading it.

C_0689710682.jpg

That's a blast from the past! I had forgotten all about that book. Loved it as a youngster. Must get a copy of it.

Has also reminded me of "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit".

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Some really interesting and varied stuff in here folks. thumbsup.gif

I have spent the last few years re-buying and often buying and reading for the first time a lot of classic kids books like...

Moby Dick, The Jungle Book, Treasure Island etc as when I have kids I want them to start reading good stories as soon as possible and then move on to more mature classic books too... I actually wonder though if I have been doing for myself more as I have recently been burning through classics like Dracula and Frankenstein etc and loving it. thumbsup.gif

Obviously the thread is about story books or novels but before Watership Down I was already always sitting with my head buried in encyclopedias and more especially wildlife books, something that I still do regularly today! geek.giflaugh.gif

Books are cool, they are like time-travelling devices for your brain or something.

i know what you mean there mr cook

so easy to lose yourself in a good book

i thank my nan for my love of book as she was an avid reader and always taught me that no matter what was going on around you, tghe imagination was an amazing thing, and as good as movies were, you painted the picture yourself when you read. my mum was dyslexic so not much of a reader, but nan and i always had a number of books on the go at any one time.

we did like the horror and thriller books. there is nothing more scary than what your own imagination can conjure up.

i remember how much i used to love going to the library for her, 3 sometimes 4 times a week for 6 books at a time!

when i was around 14/15 i was reading trashy stuff like jackie collins but that stopped as soon as i discovered shakespeare and dostoyevski (i was a bit precious sometimes lol)

to this day i'll read almost anything, and i'm not a discerning reader at all. i'd read the back of a bus ticket if there was nowt else!

when i moved last yer i got rid of so many books. broke my heart to get rid, but i really didn't have the room for them anymore so kept the important ones that either meant something or i knew i'd read again and again.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

i know what you mean there mr cook

so easy to lose yourself in a good book

i thank my nan for my love of book as she was an avid reader and always taught me that no matter what was going on around you, tghe imagination was an amazing thing, and as good as movies were, you painted the picture yourself when you read. my mum was dyslexic so not much of a reader, but nan and i always had a number of books on the go at any one time.

we did like the horror and thriller books. there is nothing more scary than what your own imagination can conjure up.

i remember how much i used to love going to the library for her, 3 sometimes 4 times a week for 6 books at a time!

when i was around 14/15 i was reading trashy stuff like jackie collins but that stopped as soon as i discovered shakespeare and dostoyevski (i was a bit precious sometimes lol)

to this day i'll read almost anything, and i'm not a discerning reader at all. i'd read the back of a bus ticket if there was nowt else!

when i moved last yer i got rid of so many books. broke my heart to get rid, but i really didn't have the room for them anymore so kept the important ones that either meant something or i knew i'd read again and again.

I am not discerning either, one week I will be reading some silly fantasy stuff like Eragon or The Dark Materials books and then I get the urge to challenge myself with something a bit more difficult, Sir Walter Scott's books were the first ones that I found to be challenging because of the old fashioned and Scots language in them but after plugging away, I realised how to read them if you know what I mean? It just sort of suddenly made sense... turned.gif Same with The Odyssey and The Iliad, started reading them and was having to keep going back and re-reading loads of pages but eventually realised that if you just keep reading the words then eventually your brain just takes over and makes sense of it all as you go. laugh.gifgeek.gif

Your post about reading the Tolkien books when you were pre-teens, that would fall in to the same category for me! See the likes of Lost Tales, Unfinished Stories and The Silmarilion etc? Hard slog and impressed that you managed them at such a young age. ohmy.gif

Was my nan who told me to read them cos she knew I'd enjoy them. I didnt really get into them right away though. Still got the most battered copy ever of the hobbit. It's literally falling apart.

Loved the dark materials. Only discovered them a couple of years ago. Brilliant books

I have absolutely no idea, I saw a picture of me from primary seven and I couldn't remember it so I am not going to be able to remember my first book!!!

Read a fair amount of Road Dahl as a lad, so it was probably one of those. One of the first adult themed book I recall reading is The Great Gatsby or A Streetcar Named Desire.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I have absolutely no idea, I saw a picture of me from primary seven and I couldn't remember it so I am not going to be able to remember my first book!!!

Read a fair amount of Road Dahl as a lad, so it was probably one of those. One of the first adult themed book I recall reading is The Great Gatsby or A Streetcar Named Desire.

Car%252520may%252520be%252520a%252520Ford%252520Arrow%252520Photo%252520Service%252520Mpls%252520MN%252520Tin%252520Ceiling%25255B12%25255D.jpg

They old tin photies were pretty shite quality though to be fair BH. :D

Gregory House M.D.

486019-L.jpg

I did read all the Harry Potters before it but this was probably the First adult book I read

Archived