Toshy McKinlay

Jezza

I was thinking about posting a most under rated player thread on the man, never realised he lost a kid. He was a fantastic servant to our club and when your wee, like Henry Smith he was my hero. I actually ignored Robbo. whats that all about?

Geoff Kilpatrick

He was the subject of one of my favourite Shed moments: -

Nondescript game against Dundee United in 1993/94 season. Finished 1-1 IIRC.

Tosh McKinlay has the ball on the left wing at halfway. Hearts attacking the School End. There's a shout behind me of "McKINLAY! YOU'RE SHITE!!".

At which point Tosh launches a peach of a crossfield ball to JC, who is behind the full back and wins a corner. Cue applause and roars.

During the pause between the corner being awarded and taken, the same voice pipes up, "WELL DONE McKINLAY. YOU'RE STILL SHITE!"

Moral: Welts among our fans are nothing new.

Ecellent player for Hearts but has become a celtic spokesman and for that reason alone I ignore him when he's being interviewed

He was the subject of one of my favourite Shed moments: -

Nondescript game against Dundee United in 1993/94 season. Finished 1-1 IIRC.

Tosh McKinlay has the ball on the left wing at halfway. Hearts attacking the School End. There's a shout behind me of "McKINLAY! YOU'RE SHITE!!".

At which point Tosh launches a peach of a crossfield ball to JC, who is behind the full back and wins a corner. Cue applause and roars.

During the pause between the corner being awarded and taken, the same voice pipes up, "WELL DONE McKINLAY. YOU'RE STILL SHITE!"

Moral: Welts among our fans are nothing new.

I reckon that was me.

Takeshi's Tynecastle

Brilliant for Hearts and no Scotland cap. He joins Celtic and then gets capped.

Didn't he get his first call up within days of signing for Celtic, before even playing for them? It is possibly my first memory of "old firm rage"

Brilliant for Hearts and no Scotland cap. He joins Celtic and then gets capped.

In his defence (difficult for me to say as I think he shat on us) when he got his call up he did say that he is playing just as well as he was at Hearts.

Didn't he get his first call up within days of signing for Celtic, before even playing for them? It is possibly my first memory of "old firm rage"

It was pretty soon after joining anyway and I think it was the first time I really got the Glasgow bias.

Northernsoulboy01

......Was scored by Glynn Snodin ;)

Mind the super dodgy vid Hearts brought out after that game. Archie mac commentary dubbed over it and no replays...

Class night though..

john brownlee

It was pretty soon after joining anyway and I think it was the first time I really got the Glasgow bias.

just a wee list

Davie Holt

Jim Cruikshank

Donald Ford

Gary Mckay

Davie bowman

John Robertson

of Hearts players imo that should have been capped more

Very effective in the position he was played in, and unusually consistent performer.

Unfortunately swinging his right peg at the ball was an impossibility. I remember him facing an open goal about 6ft out at the Gorgie Rd end and he took the time to swap feet, giving the defender time to get back and block.

Fond memories of the guy though.

jambos are go!

For a couple of seasons Hearts had one strategy and that was give the ball to Tosh. Had a great game against England at Wembley and was a super player.

If memory serves me, did he not answer the question, when asked, about his call up, he replied "I moved along the M8?"

It was definitely along those lines. I'm sure I recall a quite in depth interview in which he says (while referring to his Scotland caps) he was most definitely not playing better for Celtic than he did for Hearts.

Really appreciated Tosh's wholeheartedness. Like Hartley, everyone knew who his boyhood heroes were (so no need to bring up the tit-for-tat he had with Hearts fans in a Dundee garage before he signed for us) but while with us he liked to stick it to them. Remember him winding Shitey Galloway up so much that he got booked for sticking two fingers up at Tosh...and was later sent off!!! Also his tackle that caused a stramash (in which Tosh and Mick McCarthy saw red) in the 1989 cup tie just after McGhee's dive won them a penalty and McLaren was sent off for dissent (and to this day Big Al despises David Syme).

Oh, and a 30 yard daisy cutter against Hibs (New Year '91) does his popularity no harm!

Johanes de Silentio

never realised he lost a kid.

Pretty sure Derek Ferguson did as well - sincere apologies if this is not the case - hell of a thing to happen to anyone.

Both terrific players for us, but it's only football.

Pretty sure Derek Ferguson did as well - sincere apologies if this is not the case - hell of a thing to happen to anyone.

Both terrific players for us, but it's only football.

Yes. Derek Ferguson did. Real tragedy for him.

I read his book a few years ago. It was pretty good, and really enlightening on how tough it was to keep playing when his daughter was seriously ill.

Excellent player. He`s one of those old school players who you were so confident in .....could defend, pass, cross, keep possession without you worrying he might lose the ball....

I know he`s a Celtic fan but over the years when reading various comments he seems to have a fair bit affection for us.

Fort Vallance

I was thinking about posting a most under rated player thread on the man, never realised he lost a kid. He was a fantastic servant to our club and when your wee, like Henry Smith he was my hero. I actually ignored Robbo. whats that all about?

He might have been under rated by the media / Scotland manager etc before he went to Celtic. But was always rated by Hearts fans when he played for us.

It was definitely along those lines. I'm sure I recall a quite in depth interview in which he says (while referring to his Scotland caps) he was most definitely not playing better for Celtic than he did for Hearts.

Really appreciated Tosh's wholeheartedness. Like Hartley, everyone knew who his boyhood heroes were (so no need to bring up the tit-for-tat he had with Hearts fans in a Dundee garage before he signed for us) but while with us he liked to stick it to them. Remember him winding Shitey Galloway up so much that he got booked for sticking two fingers up at Tosh...and was later sent off!!! Also his tackle that caused a stramash (in which Tosh and Mick McCarthy saw red) in the 1989 cup tie just after McGhee's dive won them a penalty and McLaren was sent off for dissent (and to this day Big Al despises David Syme).

Oh, and a 30 yard daisy cutter against Hibs (New Year '91) does his popularity no harm!

That was a cracker like

Did willie miller not lift his foot thinking it was going wide.

He was a good player for hearts.

Regal Kingston

Until Takis came along, Tosh was the best left back I'd seen at the club.

I know opinions differ but I think Naysmith was a better left back.

Tosh was a great player for the JT's and Dundee before that - replaced the void left by the ever-solid Brian Whittaker (RIP)

Tosh was a great player for the JT's and Dundee before that - replaced the void left by the ever-solid Brian Whittaker (RIP)

I feel I have just been Bitch Slapped and full deserve it.

I forgot all about Scottish Cup Hero, and my MotM in that final, Gary Naysmith.

He was better than the Roger, RIP, though.

But a part from that, What have the Romans ever done for us?

Remember him in a derby match when Darren Jackson played for them, Tosh put in a decent tackle if memory serves me right only for Jackson to hound the referee trying to get McKinlay in trouble. Camera caught McKinlay booting Jackson's arse or legs while right next to the ref, he never saw it which made Jackson even more animated.

As a player, he was pretty decent, one weakness was his final ball into the box after getting down the left, mis-judged crosses regularly, probably why he was constantly barracked by some fans in the shed when he ran down the wing.

broughies tach

Has one of the weirdest middle names I've heard............ "VALLEY"

There must be story behind that !!

I remember pretending to be Tosh McKinlay when I was playing football in the park when I was younger.

I'm not left-footed, nor have I ever played left back. That's how much I liked Tosh!

I get where you are coming from, but still disagree. For me, Tosh McKinlay is only threatened by Fyssas for the number 3 jersey in my Hearts XI.

I remember the opening game of the '98 World Cup, midway through the second half both teams made substitutions, Scotland brought on Tosh McKinlay and Brazil trump them bringing on Rivaldo :whistling:

i wish jj was my dad

I remember the opening game of the '98 World Cup, midway through the second half both teams made substitutions, Scotland brought on Tosh McKinlay and Brazil trump them bringing on Rivaldo :whistling:

I liked Tosh and thought he was excellent for Hearts but my heart sank when he was our last throw of the dice when 2 nil down against Morocco and Neil McCann was watching the game in the hoose. :down:

Left back is another area we have been particularly well served. In my time I would suggest a top 5:

1. Takis

2. Gary Naysmith

3. Lee Wallace

4. Tosh

5. Jose

Roger Whittaker and Kenny Black deserve honourable mentions too. :thumbsup:

Fermit the Krog

Neil Pointon was a better full back. As was Stephane Mahe and of course Gary Naismith, Lee Wallace and Takis Fyssas.

Toshy (sic) was distinctly average in comparison.

:thumbsup:

I've got to be honest,he used to infuriate me at times.I think its easy to get nostalgic and big up some players,or even over criticise some also. A good servant to Hearts and there have been many in that position who have played well for the club......jist....get the ba' over,Tosh.....FFS!;)

i wish jj was my dad

Neil Pointon was a better full back. As was Stephane Mahe and of course Gary Naismith, Lee Wallace and Takis Fyssas.

Forgot about Neil Pointon. I would rather have him than Jose.

Could you imagine him and Zico as the full backs with Levein and McLaren (either Stuart or Alan) as the centre backs? :woot:

I liked Tosh and thought he was excellent for Hearts but my heart sank when he was our last throw of the dice when 2 nil down against Morocco and Neil McCann was watching the game in the hoose. :down:

Left back is another area we have been particularly well served. In my time I would suggest a top 5:

1. Takis

2. Gary Naysmith

3. Lee Wallace

4. Tosh

5. Jose

Roger Whittaker and Kenny Black deserve honourable mentions too. :thumbsup:

:what:

Jose was an absolute bombscare of a full back. Much better, although still only reasonable, as a centre half.

Jam Tarts 1874

I would include Peter Shields in that left back list too, great job for us until Danny McGrain bust Shield's leg. Didn't even get booked.

i wish jj was my dad

:what:

Jose was an absolute bombscare of a full back. Much better, although still only reasonable, as a centre half.

If you caught my earlier comment I reflected that Neil Pointon would be a better bet but FWIW I preferred Jose at full back to CH.

It's all about opinions though.

With regards losing his son, which must have been absolutely horrendous. I'm certain they lost the bairn during the week and Tosh played for us at Pittodrie on the Saturday.

Toshy (sic) was distinctly average in comparison.

:thumbsup:

I know we all have different opinions but Tosh McKinley was brilliant for us.

He was much better going forward than defending, but his link play especially with John Colquhoun over 3 or 4 years could at times be breath taking.

Mahe and Wallace were not as good as McKinley. :thumbsup:

Archived