What would you expect your punishment to be?

brownkg

I looked but couldn;t see it posted elsewhere so apologies if it has but I heard this on the news yesterday and was somewhat taken aback. What punishment would you expect if you had thrown a sickie and then been spotted in a foreign country following your team? My mate in the pub last night said he remembered his dad being docked wages after he was caught on camera with Ian Botham when he should have been picking up goods at the yard a mile down the road. Maybe it is a sign of me being old but I cannot believe this is happeneing:-

Train strike ballot over driver's 'sickie' to watch Rangers

phoned sick from Hamburg

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Sacking's too good for him

Make him drive a green train forever

"Mistake"?

Did he not know the plane was going to take him away from his home town and place of work, then?

If he's that thick, I don't really want him driving any train I might happen to get on.

Was he sick....? :blink:

It's quite possible to be unable to go to your work, but still be perfectly able to go to a football game. :unsure:

If he's just "at it" then, from my experience, I'd say he's very lucky not to have been dismissed, which is what makes me wonder if there may have been a bit more to it...? :unsure:

There must be more to the story than whats on that page, surely???

If the union is willing to ballot workers on strike action, he must have been refused holiday time for a crap reason or something?

The union , based on what is reported don't have a leg to stand on !!!

a) Its wasn't a mistake. He knew he would have to call in sick.

B) Trains were cancelled because this idiot couldnt organise his holiday. YOu dont automatically get leave if youre team is in Europe. Perhaps there were others on holiday at the time? His actions were stupid.

c) ?20k PAY CUT!!! Jesus christ. How much do you get for 'driving' a train?

Honest to ****, they'll strike over anything these days.

My mates pal was caught on camera abroad watching Rangers, he and his friends were singing unsavoury songs and the local TV channel showed warts and all

A celtic fan clocked this and sent an e-mail with footage to the blokes employers(headquarters down South) and he was sacked, that's the gamble

Serves him right, you need to be sneaky if you are pulling a sickie, be nowhere near TV cameras for a start (so you would avoid Princes Street incase STV news are interviewing folk and you get caught walking past)!

Can't believe his union are even considering strike action over it!

That would be gross misconduct. He should be sacked and the union wanting to ballot members to consider industrial action :facepalm:

Disciplinary at the very least with sacking a high possibility.

Struggling to understand why anyone would vote for industrial action to defend the muppet.

Had he thrown a sickie for a 'might never get another chance ever' event like the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester then I'd have some sympathy but to do it for a friendly, that''s just taking the piss

Who are you guys working for that taking one days unauthorised absence would lead to sacking. I'd imagine the vast majority of organisations would punish somebody with a final written warning at very worst.

Sure, companies leave gross misconduct so vague that it is technically a sackable offence but if the facts are as reported in the BBC story even a demotion seems unduly harsh.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

When I was an apprentice one of the final year apprentices, took a sickie and and went on the poll tax marches.

Contracts manager spotted the dumbass on the STV news at the front of the march

Written warning iirc!

Who are you guys working for that taking one days unauthorised absence would lead to sacking. I'd imagine the vast majority of organisations would punish somebody with a final written warning at very worst.

Sure, companies leave gross misconduct so vague that it is technically a sackable offence but if the facts are as reported in the BBC story even a demotion seems unduly harsh.

I've worked for a least two private sector companies where I'm fairly certain if I'd done what this guy had done I would have been dismissed.

Working at the council now, I probably would have got away with a slap on the wrist. Which is one of the reasons the public sector is so ****ed; people know they can do pretty much anything and still have a job to go back to.

The amount of liberty taking similar to the incident described in the article is astronomical.

called in sick in November while he was in Hamburg :lol:

He has let his employers down. Cancelling trains because of him.

fabienleclerq

I once pulled a sickie for a Hearts game and my boss sat 10 rows in front!

Cant believe they would strike over this, guy seems lucky to still be in a job.

I've worked for a least two private sector companies where I'm fairly certain if I'd done what this guy had done I would have been dismissed.

Working at the council now, I probably would have got away with a slap on the wrist. Which is one of the reasons the public sector is so ****ed; people know they can do pretty much anything and still have a job to go back to.

The amount of liberty taking similar to the incident described in the article is astronomical.

I've worked for three different private sector companies and can recall absolutely no precedent of somebody being dismissed in similar circumstances. Can't help but think people are letting the fact he flew abroad to watch football cloud their judgement. Would people still expect him sacked if he took the day off and was caught shopping in his local city centre? That is supposing the guy has actually never been in bother in 21 years.

southside1874

It doesn't sound like they're following any disciplinary procedures.

southside1874

FWIW it says a lot more about Scotrail's management if they had to cancel trains because one person phoned in sick.

Indeedy

I saw this last night on the news and couldn't believe it.

Don't know what the story was but the news item basically said he had been caught and was getting disciplined for it. Didn't mention the punishment. Have no idea why anyone would strike for him.

He could have phoned in sick before heading over there. Give his work a bit notice. He probably does it all the time, first time he was caught in 21 years.

Stop all the trains because he made an arse of it? Aye, good one.

Harsh, couldn't they give him some written warning and dock however many days pay or annual leave? Demotion seems a bit extreme for someone who's served a company for that many years.

e- And if they actually had to cancel a service because a driver phoned in sick then it shows how much of a joke our train companies are that they can't cover such a situation.

The issue is that he blatantly lied to his employers. Employers know that some people will take the occasional day off when they are not really sick, but most folk are smart enough to stay at home. Seems to me that this guy is very lucky he wasn't sacked.

A guy i worked with a few years ago got sacked for taking a day off for Kelso Races.

He tried to get a holiday for it but it wasn`t available so phoned in sick. One of the bosses was at the races that day and the guy was one of the first people he saw.

Sacked the very next day.

I don't work shifts - I'm lucky to ever even work 9-5 though - so i'm pretty lucky in that I wouldn't ever have been in that position. Something could have been organised re time off if I'd really really wanted to go.

In saying that, I was ill around the time of the Paksi game, called in sick one day and my colleagues are still utterly convinced I was really in Budapest. I wish I could say I was, but I wasn't. :laugh:

A good few years ago a mate of mine had a week off work sick. There was an item on the news about lager louts on the rampage in Spain and there he was dragging a palm tree up the street. :teehee: Didn't get sacked.

East Lothian Council have a 22 days compulsory sick leave ruling.My mate is a binman/scrap metal thief/dyson hoover recycler in the county and he is hardly ever at work.Not only that but on the days he does work he is never home later than 12.30.

How did the fat Orc get caught?

He phoned in sick from Hamburg which was a bit of a giveaway! If he is that stupid I wouldnt want to be on a train driven by him.

Demotion is OK imo. It gives him the chance to redeem himself if he behaves in future and get re-promoted if he demonstrates the correct professionalism.

The Union Leader was claimimg on National Radio that he has been demoted "for life". That is not the case so the Unions are as usual misleading their own members. The guy has been given a chance to redeem himself which is fair. The Union Leader is out of order.

I remember when we were flying out to Munich from Edinburgh airport for the Hearts game,there was about 20 of us standing waiting to check in when the BBC came over to interview us

within seconds there were only 2 of us left as the rest had scarpered cos they were on the pat !!

"Sickie" is a nice wooly term, admitted to by the union, a bit like "Duvet Day".

It used to be called skiving and it can have a major impact on your customers, your employee and your work colleagues.

If you are sick you are sick, if you are skiving then how can the union possibly try and call strike action over that.

East Lothian Council have a 22 days compulsory sick leave ruling.My mate is a binman/scrap metal thief/dyson hoover recycler in the county and he is hardly ever at work.Not only that but on the days he does work he is never home later than 12.30.

This has to be shite. Is this on top of holiday? Your mate is surely taking the piss.

He should be dismissed immediately.

My mate was in a similar situation. He only worked at Tesco, but he asked for a specific day off and was told he couldn't have it (He was doing a weekend course at RAF Boulmer and needed the Saturday off). He called in sick on the Saturday, and was clocked by his boss (who lived next door) outside getting in the car to leave at roughly the same time he should have been working. Some muppet tagged him on facebook as being at the course, and his boss saw that as well.

Hauled into work on Monday and was told to resign or be fired. He took the resignation as it looks better to leave than be sacked.

Moral of the story:

Dinnae add yer boss on Facebook! :thumbsup:

Archived