Is Hartley attached to Hearts?

Craigieboy

I really like the guy.

He was honest at a few dinners I attended to say that he always wanted to play for Celtic. Most of us would always wish to play for Hearts, our boyhood heros.

But how much affection does he have for Hearts now?

I would like to think a lot.

Great player in his latter months at Tynie.

And who can forget?........

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He hasn't rubbed it in when he has played against us since regardless of the circumstances.

Massive respect for that.

Also responsible for one of the best days I will ever have.

_41513622_hart3ley300.jpg

Bunny Munro

I respect him for many reasons.

1) He hasn;t turned into a typical Celtic Bawbag

2) He was very open about who he wanted to play for, not pretending that he was a hearts fan or that he never wanted to leave.

3) He, even though he was a celtic fan, never let that get in the way when he played against them.

4) That Semifinal.

There's not many ex Celtic and Hibs players who I have any time for. Paul H is the exception. Always gave his all for us (sometimes too much).

We'd all like to have a team full of Jambos, but that just doesn't happen. You can't ever fault Hartley for what he gave to us.

I respect him for many reasons.

1) He hasn;t turned into a typical Celtic Bawbag

2) He was very open about who he wanted to play for, not pretending that he was a hearts fan or that he never wanted to leave.

3) He, even though he was a celtic fan, never let that get in the way when he played against them.

4) That Semifinal.

I'd agree with the above. Been very impressed by Hartley and his professionalism over the years. He must be wondering why WGS has never played him in his best position but yet never spoken out.

Watching him score a hat-trick at hampden is something I will never forget.

Charlie-Brown

Hartley doesn't have the same legs anymore to play in the best position he played for us in 2004-2006 , even in his latter months at Hearts he played deeper and more like Brellier than Hartley........this is the role he seems to fit now for both Celts & Scotland - still a very good player and still invaluable experience however i assume he wouldn't want to earn less so how would we attract him and in what team position would he play? (assuming he couldn't run & run as he used too?)

Hartley is an absolute Legend.

He never once bull****ted us, proclaiming himself as 'Mr Hearts', unlike Steven ****bag Pressley.

02.04.06 - Never Forget.

Hartley doesn't have the same legs anymore to play in the best position he played for us in 2004-2006 , even in his latter months at Hearts he played deeper and more like Brellier than Hartley........this is the role he seems to fit now for both Celts & Scotland - still a very good player and still invaluable experience however i assume he wouldn't want to earn less so how would we attract him and in what team position would he play? (assuming he couldn't run & run as he used too?)

Don't think anyone is suggesting we should try to bring him back, just recognising that he does seem to have some respect and feelings for the club

Absolutely love the guy,and read an article not long ago and he said when he walks off the park at parkhead the 1st result he always looks for is ours,and will always have a huge affection for the club and the fans

Disliked him when he first went, just because he plays for them.

Time has heeled those feelings though and I have learned to remember the good times he brought us. Up until the 2006/07 season, when I thought he was crap, he was my favourite Hearts player for two and a half years.

Just to elaborate on a point made in an earlier post. We played Celtic on the second last day of the season in 2005, when any result for us would have just about handed the title to Rangers (which Scott McDonald of course did a week later). Not only did life long Celtic fan Paul Hartley play well, he scored a second half equaliser that looked as if it would cost them the title.

Frank McGarvey take note.

Boab Mugabe

He never once bull****ted us, proclaiming himself as 'Mr Hearts', unlike Steven ****bag Pressley.

02.04.06 - Never Forget.

Ditto. Hartley has conducted himself very well since getting the move he always wanted from his career. A manner which hasn't been replicated by Phressley. :evilno:

He gave his all when he was at Hearts, and who can ever forget that hat trick? :)

Dr Ian Malcolm

Time has heeled those feelings though and I have learned to remember the good times he brought us. Up until the 2006/07 season, when I thought he was crap, he was my favourite Hearts player for two and a half years.

Just to elaborate on a point made in an earlier post. We played Celtic on the second last day of the season in 2005, when any result for us would have just about handed the title to Rangers (which Scott McDonald of course did a week later). Not only did life long Celtic fan Paul Hartley play well, he scored a second half equaliser that looked as if it would cost them the title.

Seemed to celebrate it an awful lot as well considering. Did Craig Beattie not end up getting a late winner anyway?

I actually thought he was our best player the season before hand as well (04/05 when Levein left and it looked like he was going to Celtic). His goals were keeping us in the top 6 for a while until Miller and Burchill signed to take the pressure off a wee bit.

I think he realised the fans could have easily turned on him after handing in his transfer request (although how much of that was actually down to his prat of an agent I don't know) but instead he got a standing ovation and a blast of "One Paul Hartley" (LC Semi at Easter Rd when a combination of Motherwell and Jamie McAllister's "defending" put us out). Hearts were good for Paul Hartley and in turn he was good for us - he played the best fottbal if his carrer at Tynecastle and won his first Scotland caps playng for us. I think he recognises that and probably does have some affection for Hearts regardless of how it turned out.

jambo walesy

Nothing but respect for the guy.

A true proffesional and even since he's been at Celtic i have wanted him to do well, unless against us of course.

He was responsible for one of the greatest days of supporting Hearts ever!

02/04/06

Guest hoggis
I really like the guy.

He was honest at a few dinners I attended to say that he always wanted to play for Celtic. Most of us would always wish to play for Hearts, our boyhood heros.

But how much affection does he have for Hearts now?

I would like to think a lot.

Great player in his latter months at Tynie.

And who can forget?........

The usual suspects may try and devalue his efforts for us due to his allegiances now,but i for one will always hold him in high esteem for his dedication and at times,brilliant footballing ability to the Hearts cause.In saying that,we had the best of Paul Hartley.And for that,i am thankfull.

02/04/06.

jambomcfiggis

it appears that we are all in agreement here and rightly so. Hartley flourished at Tynecastle and lets not forget the winner v Aberdeen that got us the champions league slot. For a celtic fan and we all knew it, he was still as passionate as any of us in the stands when we took second.

Skacel and Hartley in the first part of Burleys season is frankly as iconic as Clark and Robertson or Levein and Mcpherson or even Nade and Elliot ..only kidding..

I look forward to the day when he comes back, perhaps after he retires and shows his face.. I suspect he'll get one hellova applause. He will from me anyway...

Pressley - what the hell were you thinking about...Hartley sticks on a hoops top and yet we still salute him...your antics that day alienated so many of us jambos who revered you..

I agree with all the previous posters. There was a time after we improved his pay and until the start of season 2006/7 (and all the nonsense with the Riccarton 3) when PH was prepared to see out the rest of his career with us. I think he was quoted at the time saying something along the lines that he had found the club for him. Ironically, that statement holds as true now as it did then. He has rarely looked the player with Celtic that he was for the greater part of his time at Tynie. He also never seems to exude the passion even when the Hoops win the SPL/cup/Euro ties. He's found out now what playing for Celtic means now - they're expected to win every game and when they do it's more relief than sheer joy. Season 05/06 may yet turn out to be the high point of his career (and for that matter Bednar, Pressley and Skacel).

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Seemed to celebrate it an awful lot as well considering. Did Craig Beattie not end up getting a late winner anyway?

I actually thought he was our best player the season before hand as well (04/05 when Levein left and it looked like he was going to Celtic). His goals were keeping us in the top 6 for a while until Miller and Burchill signed to take the pressure off a wee bit.

I think he realised the fans could have easily turned on him after handing in his transfer request (although how much of that was actually down to his prat of an agent I don't know) but instead he got a standing ovation and a blast of "One Paul Hartley" (LC Semi at Easter Rd when a combination of Motherwell and Jamie McAllister's "defending" put us out). Hearts were good for Paul Hartley and in turn he was good for us - he played the best fottbal if his carrer at Tynecastle and won his first Scotland caps playng for us. I think he recognises that and probably does have some affection for Hearts regardless of how it turned out.

Think that was the definitive moment in Hartleys Hearts career.

It would've been VERY easy to abuse him but instead we got right behind him and he got a fantastic reception at the CIS Semi.

Who knows, if it wasn't for the fans attitude that day then we may never have had 02.04.06 :)

Respect Hartley regardless of the colours he wears.

Pressley could learn from his example.

The usual suspects may try and devalue his efforts for us due to his allegiances now,but i for one will always hold him in high esteem for his dedication and at times,brilliant footballing ability to the Hearts cause.In saying that,we had the best of Paul Hartley.And for that,i am thankfull.

02/04/06.

I understand what you are saying. In the 60's Willie Wallace turned the game at fester road(won 3-2) then went on to win 1967 European Cup winners medal. Loved him for the 3-2 win!!

FTH

a couple of years ago, if we had taken a poll over the most likely to be the professional if/when they left us, everyone would have backed elvis as the man to remain the professional and hartley to be the wee gobshecht, but look what has happened since the riccarton 3 days...

while elvis may have shown he's not the mr hearts legend we would have expected, paul hartley has been a gentleman, and with the exception of thinking boruc a better keeper than gordon, has in no way given us any cause to bad mouth him.

while the pressley behavior still divides us, the way PH has behaved has i think, impressed the majority of us.

PHs allegiance may lie with THEM but i have no doubt in my mind, his time with us, will remain in his mind, as a special time for him, as for us. he was beyond chuffed with the cup win with us, and while he might be a cocky wee shecht, if anyone saw him in the gorgie suite on the sunday afternoon after our most recent cup win (GRUY hobos ;) ), among other times, there can be no doubt, he thoroughly enjoyed his time with us!

i truly believe that he loved the fans and probably the club, as much as we adored him, for the majority of his time with us

Speaking of that semi when we chanted 'one Paul Hartley', I remember reading that PH said he was choked up at how the fans were still 100% behind him despite him handing in his transfer request. I think that moment will live long in PH's memory.

Charlie-Brown

Certainly Hartley has done a lot less to alienate himself from Hearts fans and indeed the club than Pressley did with his stupid on field antics on his return to Tynecastle which upset a great many of those who once adored him.

Certainly Hartley has done a lot less to alienate himself from Hearts fans and indeed the club than Pressley did with his stupid on field antics on his return to Tynecastle which upset a great many of those who once adored him.

Those actions were aimed at VR and fans such as yourself. Of course your bitter that he gave you a big get it up you and now you repeatedly have a go at him. The same way you and many othes did when he tried to explain how wrong things were behind the scenes. Elvis was right and VR was wrong and it so obviously how much that is eating away at you. :)

Still lots pf peple angry with Elvis for one mistake. It angered me at the time, not any more. If you take the good he did, the great leader and motivator he was for us on the park rtc. etc. etc. and compare it to the three seconds of human behaviour at the end of the Celtic game, really - its' time to forget.

Hartley is a legend, or will be when he hangs up hid boots.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Those actions were aimed at VR and fans such as yourself. Of course your bitter that he gave you a big get it up you and now you repeatedly have a go at him. The same way you and many othes did when he tried to explain how wrong things were behind the scenes. Elvis was right and VR was wrong and it so obviously how much that is eating away at you. :)

Totally agree Daz and what more do you expect from Charlie.

I was p*ssed off on the day with Pressley but my anger lasted just that: One day. Pressley was a legend and is a legend and always will be and I would take him back in a shot.

My feelings for Hartley mirror the majority on the thread. You always felt that even though he was a Celtic fan that Hearts had got under his skin. He seemed to have a more professional understanding of the fans than Pressley did in his wee moment on his return. And we got the best out of Hartley. Professionally, Paul will know that Hearts were the highlight of his career, Celtic were his dream.

It's true that PH quite often looks like a grimey wee man who's just off to do a shift at the slaughter-house, but in the fairness to the guy he has definitel been far more gracious than a certain Mr Pressley when at Tynie and at Darkheid when playing the JTs.

He never rubs it in or makes a concious effort to remind us of why he left.

Let's face it. Strachan (the wee toley) signed PH and SP to get it up us as much as anything else. The proof being that he played SP at Tynie earlier this season when he had hardly played and this remains one of his few appearances to date for Celtic.

SP propagates and personifies this fact. PH doesn't. He gets on with his job as he did at HMFC and I respect him for it.

Of course, I could just be mis-reading SP and he was the exact with us blah blah, but he forgets that we idolised him in many respects, whereas PH seems to remember the good things he gave and got from the Tynie crowd.

I think PH could come back to Tynie as a player and we wouldn't hold anything against him.

The Real Maroonblood

02/04/06.

Ditto.

I don't think anyone would argue with where ultimate blame should be placed for what happened, but SP is pompous about it in the same way that VR is.

It's like watching your parents argue and they are both being idiots; you know that it affects you, but noone will explain it as they think you are too young/ stupid to understand.

It's the fact that SP still feels this way and showed it with his actions. This makes him no better than VR as if he really felt strongly enough he would have told us (at least by now) what the problem was EXACTLY, instead of dancing round the issue, speaking in codes and signing a confidentiuality agreement.

If he had just said it (what everyone knew at the time and suspected for months after) in black and white I would believe that he spoke out for the club and not partly or as I see it in the majority, for himself.

And so I therefore cannot be down with his actions. They suck. For me his motivations were selfish as much as anything else.

In addition, no Hearts fan, regardless of who they are deserves disrespect from an ex-player, and certainly not SP.

Charlie-Brown

Incorrect Dazo and your last sentence is just your own fantasy - I rarely if ever talk about Elvis however when you read some of the bile on here towards him and see things like P(h)ressley & Judas from many other posters then it's clear that he upset a LOT of people with his actions - there was a whole thread about Elvis returning yesterday that descended into such a debate.

MacDonald Jardine

02/04/06.

I've never heard anyone have a real go at Paul Hartley.

The difference between him and Pressley is the way he has conducted himself since leaving.

Hartley hasn't once rubbed it in our faces since he left, not once.

Sell-Out Pressley done it at the first opportunity, hate his guts.

Think that was the definitive moment in Hartleys Hearts career.

It would've been VERY easy to abuse him but instead we got right behind him and he got a fantastic reception at the CIS Semi.

Who knows, if it wasn't for the fans attitude that day then we may never have had 02.04.06 :)

Respect Hartley regardless of the colours he wears.

Pressley could learn from his example.

But according to some on here, we're the most ungrateful, moaning fans in the world. It's all the fans fault etc.... ;)

Agree though, I think he knew how that could've turned out and I think the support he got that night must've made him feel really wanted. It seemed to just drive him on to become better and better for us. Very good player for us (not a patch on the man in my avatar mind you!) and will never forget 02.04.06. Best derby ever.

Incorrect Dazo and your last sentence is just your own fantasy - I rarely if ever talk about Elvis however when you read some of the bile on here towards him and see things like P(h)ressley & Judas from many other posters then it's clear that he upset a LOT of people with his actions - there was a whole thread about Elvis returning yesterday that descended into such a debate.

No fantasy from me No More Heroes :confused: you backed VR at the time. Your not alone in your bitterness although you may not be as vocal thats why i said fans like you. At the end of the day you had another dig at Elvis on a thread that is about PH. Elvis had a go at those that didn't back him, big deal i say. You may not be the worst but that does not excuse how wrong you were at the time IMO.

I quoted your post because i know you won't reply with the bile that some fans will come out with. ;)

Toxteth O'Grady

It is unfortunate that we have not replaced Hartley with a similar type of player.

I think we miss his forward runs a lot.

Buffalo Bill

As a player, I thought he was fantasic for about a two and a half year period (Jan 04 - summer 06). Either side of that, his form was a bit erratic.

But in that good spell, he was one of the best midfield players I've ever seen at Hearts.

I don't care about anything else since; some great memories as a Hearts fan with Hartley.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown
No fantasy from me No More Heroes :confused: you backed VR at the time. Your not alone in your bitterness although you may not be as vocal thats why i said fans like you. At the end of the day you had another dig at Elvis on a thread that is about PH. Elvis had a go at those that didn't back him, big deal i say. You may not be the worst but that does not excuse how wrong you were at the time IMO.

I quoted your post because i know you won't reply with the bile that some fans will come out with. ;)

Fair enough Dazo although I still think Elvis was wrong to speak out and it achieved nothing except the end of his Hearts career and wrong to conduct himself the way he did at Tynecastle - I am not bitter about him in anyway - he made his own choices - other people are bitter about him regarding some of those choices but not me - it was a sad end to his Hearts career but he brought some of it upon himself.

Pretty much in a ntushell.

I was mad having lost Pressley to them. And wasn't too keen that he proclaimed them as his 'boyhood heroes'. And I am sure there will be a few threads on the old kickback where I have talked about how much I disliked him.

But over time the wounds have heeled and I just can't wait for him to stop playing for Celtic. Although it did get on my tits when he said the thing about Boruc being the best 'keeper he has worked with or something along those lines.

heartgarfunkel

02.04.06 - Never Forget.

Well said

I rate him very highly, my favourite midfield player for hearts was Colin Cameron, but i think that Paul Hartley 05/06 was better, he always gave 100 percent for us and his goals against the Hobos were fantastic.

:107years:

Hartley is a legend and always will be... not every player who represents Hearts will be a fan of the club... Hartley wasn't but always gave 100% and demanded that from his team mates.

He was the architect of the greatest semi final I have ever been to and his penalty got us into the champions league qualifiers... achievements like that should never be underestimated. I'd welcome him back to Tynecastle anytime and expect every other Hearts fan to do the same!

I also would like to say that no matter what the rest of you say Pressley is still a hero to me. I don't give two hoots what he did at Tynie in his return with the tic, although I was angry at the time... I realise however all that was aimed at Romanov; from a man who was hurting.

Pressley was forced out due to his actions which along with Hartley and Gordon were intended to tell the support that things within the club were were wrong. We all new this but they brought confirmation, and that led to VR wielding the axe... there was talk at the time that Romanov wanted Elvis to take on coaching responsibilities and stop playing at a time when he was club captain and a Scotland stalwart... how would any of you feel?!

Pressley, Hartley and Gordon will never/have never been replaced and look at the shambles our club is in... they tried to tell us, to garner support and nothing happened. We are still Romanov's plaything, still praying it will all come good next season.... to think it all could have turned out so well too.

I hope the three of them come back to play for RN's testimonial... only so we can sing their names aloud to **** off Romanov.... especially the name of Julien Brellier!

Can only echo the views of most people on this thread. The guy is a Hearts legend pure and simple. When Hartley played well Hearts played well, he scored big goals in big games, had a fantastic record from the penalty spot including THAT penalty against Aberdeen and always gave 100% for Hearts never more so than against Celtic.

As others have pointed out he never hid the fact that he was a celtic fan and who could blame him for moving when the opportunity came along?

There's no doubt though that Hartley spent the best years of his career at Hearts and I've no doubt he'll always remember his time with us fondly and in particular the relationship he had with the fans.

Smoked-Glass

He's got Hearts to thank for his international career as well. He was playing well for us at the time he was given his 1st call up to the squad by walter smith (march 2005 away to italy)

Chip Douglas
He's got Hearts to thank for his international career as well. He was playing well for us at the time he was given his 1st call up to the squad by walter smith (march 2005 away to italy)

Nonsense, he's got himself to thank for making the Scotland squad.

Jambojohnnyboy
Nonsense, he's got himself to thank for making the Scotland squad.

Do you think if he hadn't played for us that he would have got his dream move and his international career? I would like to think that playing for Hearts was responsible for making the player that he became, obviously the talent was always there but sometimes it takes the team to bring it out.

Got a lot of time for Hartley. Said he supported Sellick for one day, and could respect him for that. He'll get a cheer from me if he comes back for a half time draw. He'll still get the same ammount of abuse when he comes to Tynecastle in a Sellick top though.

I'm quite surprised he was accepted by Sellick actually. Any one remember him booting Ross Wallace at a corner?

The Real Maroonblood
Don't suppose Hartley gives a Donald Duck about Hearts.

He will have something in common with Romanov then.

Archived