USA Car rental

IronJambo

I finally booked my car hire for my Mississippi Delta drive in March. Following advice from folk over here we've booked it through a UK site (Avis). We've got ourselves a badass 4x4 costing us around ?240 for 4 days. The same booking through their US site is more like $800 (?500). I must've read through it 100 times and my booking appears to cover everything from all the insurance we need + tax along with a one way hire charge.

Is this normal for it to cost much less to book from here?

I finally booked my car hire for my Mississippi Delta drive in March. Following advice from folk over here we've booked it through a UK site (Avis). We've got ourselves a badass 4x4 costing us around ?240 for 4 days. The same booking through their US site is more like $800 (?500). I must've read through it 100 times and my booking appears to cover everything from all the insurance we need + tax along with a one way hire charge.

Sounds like a cracking deal. The biggest pain with US insurance is the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver). If your UK policy covers that then I reckon you are sorted. Have fun.

Sounds like a cracking deal. The biggest pain with US insurance is the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver). If your UK policy covers that then I reckon you are sorted. Have fun.

Yeah that's on it, as is additional liability insurance. It just makes me nervous that the same booking if made in the country if hire is over twice the cost.

Yeah that's on it, as is additional liability insurance. It just makes me nervous that the same booking if made in the country if hire is over twice the cost.

I see your point, I would probably be a little wary too. Could always just call them with your concerns for peace of mind. I will certainly remember this for future rentals in America.

It is right. I've done it a number of times before.

Just make sure you take the ORIGINAL paper counterpart of your license with you or else they won't accept your license and you're well and truly up the creek

It seems so, from everything I've read. Just ensure you are definitely properly covered by insurance. The rental desks will let you walk away without adequate coverage, and responsibility is on you. You could be screwed legally and medically if you are not insured if things go bad.

It is right. I've done it a number of times before.

Just make sure you take the ORIGINAL paper counterpart of your license with you or else they won't accept your license and you're well and truly up the creek

Cheers :thumbsup: Good to know its not an oddity.

One wee thing, we also got a discount by using our ($40 or so) for using a code from our Virgin Atlantic airmiles card.

Cheers :thumbsup: Good to know its not an oddity.

One wee thing, we also got a discount by using our ($40 or so) for using a code from our Virgin Atlantic airmiles card.

Aye- you often get discounts for using frequent flyer things

I always book on the UK site before I go and it is much cheaper. (my company uses Hertz). Just arrived into Boston tonight and got me an upgrade to a Chevy Tahoe in shiny black. I feel like Jack Bauer driving round the city streets :thumbsup:

You should not need any extras, the only thing I need to watch out for is that they make you pay for a full tank in advance even on a 2 or 3 day rental. I will probably hand the Tahoe back with at least half a tank in it. Not an issue for you on a longer term rental.

I always book on the UK site before I go and it is much cheaper. (my company uses Hertz). Just arrived into Boston tonight and got me an upgrade to a Chevy Tahoe in shiny black. I feel like Jack Bauer driving round the city streets :thumbsup:

You should not need any extras, the only thing I need to watch out for is that they make you pay for a full tank in advance even on a 2 or 3 day rental. I will probably hand the Tahoe back with at least half a tank in it. Not an issue for you on a longer term rental.

Any time I've rented one, I've always been given the option as to what I want to do for the fuel. The rates per gallon are normally fair and competitive.

Any time I've rented one, I've always been given the option as to what I want to do for the fuel. The rates per gallon are normally fair and competitive.

That's true for medium/long rentals, but sometimes for a 1, 2 or 3 day rental they make you take a the fuel package which you don't always use.

I recently got a 24 hour convertable rental in San Francisco and they added the fuel as part of the package - $39 rental and $45 fuel package. Still well worth it though. :thumbsup:

Guest GhostHunter

In the US - I'd take whatever insurance they offer you... their ideas over what they can claim against, don't match ours at the best of times.

:ninja:

We hired a big 4x4 when I was over in Toronto/NY State last year at it cost us $100 (Canadian) for 4 days. It was through my mate's work, but it really was an amazing deal.

How old do you have to be to rent a car in the USA?

It's often 25, but you may get some that will give to you if over 21

In the US - I'd take whatever insurance they offer you... their ideas over what they can claim against, don't match ours at the best of times.

:ninja:

I wouldn't . You often don't need everything they offer, and it can add up to $30 a day.

When you are comparing prices between UK & US bookings are you comparing against the same type/size of car ?

When you go to collect the car don't fall fo rthe old routine that you've booked a smaller car and they don't have any. They often try this to get you to pay for an upgrade you don't need or want.

How old do you have to be to rent a car in the USA?

21 is the usual minimum, but some companies might make it 23 or 25.

Years ago as a 20 year old, I was in the States and had arranged car rental from home, got to the airport in Miami, to be told 21 years minimum. I did eventually manage to get a car, but not right at the airport and it took a bit of negotiating.

Remember to take your paper part of your license with you. They normally don't ask for it, but if they do, and you don't have it, they will not give you the car....

Happened to me in Toronto, but luckily the Hertz guy told me that Thrifty would give me a car without the paper doc, which he did. Result :thumbsup:

When you are comparing prices between UK & US bookings are you comparing against the same type/size of car ?

When you go to collect the car don't fall fo rthe old routine that you've booked a smaller car and they don't have any. They often try this to get you to pay for an upgrade you don't need or want.

Yeah of course. Both prices are for a large 4x4 (chevrolet equinox).

I guess if a car hire place pulls that trick there's not a lot you can do is there!

Archived