Why do we call blokes called george dode ?

Barney Rubble

portobellojambo1

Sorry if its so obvious but ive even asked a few georges and they have no idea either !

Dod is the Gaelic word for George, I assume over the course of time people in Scotland called George were called Dod by Gaelic speaking friends (as it appears to be fairly unique to Scotland) but never asked how it was spelt and Dode was used when writing it down, and it just stuck at that.

George is too English a name and Dode isn't, but like you mates I have called Dode don't know why either.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Dod is the Gaelic word for George, I assume over the course of time people in Scotland called George were called Dod by Gaelic speaking friends (as it appears to be fairly unique to Scotland) but never asked how it was spelt and Dode was used when writing it down, and it just stuck at that.

By Dode I think he's got it!

Nucky Thompson

:interesting:

Not being sarcastic by the way :)

Barney Rubble

I'll go along with that cannae wait to impress my george named friends with this :D

jambos are go!

What's Shug short for?

Dont know about short for but is used IIRC for folk called Hugh and may be just an alternative gaelic pronounciation.

What's Shug short for?

Hugh. I get called Seamus by some of the old school up here. It does my head in.

Good story, but the Gaelic name Seoras (Shor-ass) is George in English.

I used to know a guy called Dode (aka George) but a mate of the then girlfriend couldn't get hear head around this and thought his name was George Dode.:ermm:

portobellojambo1

Scottish Gaelic: Se?ras, Se?rsa, Dod, De?rsa.

It would appear there are at least 4 different Gaelic versions of George.

What's Shug short for?

Shoo or Shooie.Wee story .Had a boy called Shooie in my class (primary 4 about 1970)and we were doing the Romans,Teacher asked Shooie why did the Romans build straight roads?After giving it some thought our lad replied that it was so they could see the cars coming!!!before he returned to gazing out the window.

Scottish Gaelic: Se?ras, Se?rsa, Dod, De?rsa.

It would appear there are at least 4 different Gaelic versions of George.

Where did you read that? Yahoo answers?

I looked in a few places and didn't find Dod mentioned.

I also went by the guy I know called Seoras.

I've got a good dictionary at home, if i remeber I'll look it up later.

It is like the name Ian being short for John! WTF?

Another version of Ian is Eoin. Surely you can see the similarity to john there? Also, "I" and a "J" were often interchangeable. The name Jan, used in quite a few countries, also means John.

Toxteth O'Grady

I like to overuse Dode - See below.

Dode Michael

Boy Dode

Dode C Scott

Finindi Dode

Dode Street

Dode IV Bridge

Susan Dode

We had a doorman who worked with us called Dod.

He was a prick.

was he from out livingston way?

I like to overuse Dode - See below.

Dode Michael

Boy Dode

Dode C Scott

Finindi Dode

Dode Street

Dodethejambo :whistling:

I know of one english Dode that will have a 'Seoras' for sure.............

:whistling:

Archived