Watching someone slowly die =(

Matthew Le Tissier

Matthew Le Tissier

I know the title is rather morbid, but its horrible. My exs granny has two forms of cancer and its been such a rapid effect on her. 3 weeks ago she was sitting up in Hospital chatting away now shes back in her own house bed ridden and can barley move. Its so sad and heart wrenching to watch someone go through this.

Sorry to hear this bud, we took my mother in law into St Johns hospital mid October with a chest infection walked out on the 18th of November without her, passed away after being diagnosed with lung cancer. 4 weeks unbelievable. :down:

B**tard illness, the old dear phoned me last night to tell me my uncle is in a hospice, had not been feeling well for about a month so went to the doctors last Thursday, diagnosed with cancer and it is that far advanced that he only has days to live

My old man went to see the doctor about pains in his side. Turned out to be liver cancer with secondary lung cancer. 3 weeks later he had passed. The strange thing about it is when he was in the hospice everyone came down and we all said goodbye then my Mum wanted to be alone with him and that is when he passed, it is like he wanted it to be just the 2 of them.

The hospice staff are amazing.

Sorry to hear that chief.

Make sure she is getting all the Care/ pain relief she needs from her local district nurse/ palliative Cate team.

Been there and can feel your hurt.

Jambof3tornado

People should seriously think about donating to cancer charities or the hospices throughout the country,as its a disease which will have an effect on your life,whether directly or through a loved one,

If their is a god why the **** does he throw this at people?

I've always wondered how the brain processes being told you have months/weeks to live.

Must be extremely difficult to realise that that's it.

I've always wondered how the brain processes being told you have months/weeks to live.

A horrible illness, and thoughts to the OP and family going through it right now.

I often have to speak to people/families facing this horrible situation at work Craigieboy, and the courage and dignity they always display is inspiring.

Hopefully she is given the right and proper care and isn't in too much pain.

I am extremely lucky that all my relatives that have died have died peacefully and without pain.

My deepest sympathy for you are you ex.

This song was written about this kind of situation, about what would ur last words be to someone that u know ur going to loose. A beautiful song.

Alter Bridge - Wonderful Life:

Live acoustic version:

While going through my own cancer treatments I met some of the bravest most cheerful people I have ever met. Some were getting chemo treatments just to extend their life, the disease was terminal. On my last day of chemo, a really good looking young woman was sitting opposite me. She looked so healthy I was telling her it was my last treatment, I thought she must think I am a real hero having got through this, that was until she told me she had been through it all with breast cancer, had a short remission and was now getting treatment for brain cancer.

Surviving cancer is a blessing, but the road to that survival is a long and arduous one. Surgery, and recovery from it. Three months of radiation five days a week, the reactions that come with radiation treatment can really lower morale. On conclusion of radiation chemo therapy for four months five times a week, then three weeks off, nausea, loss of appetite, and just feeling awful. But it is in the chemo c linic that as I have said one meets what seem like just ordinary people, but to get where they are have faced hell and yet have maintained a positive and even cheerful outlook.

Cancer is probably natures greatest judgement on the human being, but in my experience brings out some of the greater qualities in this human race.

To return to the topic I watched both my parents succumb slowly to the disease, in my mothers last day I begged the doctor to give her something to alleviate her discomfort, they said they could not do that, she did however succumb a few hours later.

Matthew Le Tissier

Cheers guys. It is hard trying to stay strong for the ex as shes my bairns mum. Thankfully hes,only 2 and dosent know whats happning to his great grannie

Cheers guys. It is hard trying to stay strong for the ex as shes my bairns mum. Thankfully hes,only 2 and dosent know whats happning to his great grannie

Dont worry too much about the bairn mate, he will be fine. Its genuinely nice that you feel for your ex's relatives though, believe me a lot wouldnt :thumbsup:

My wifes dad was diagnosed a year past October (88 and lived a full life). Once admitted to the Marie Curie we were visiting him daily for the last 3 weeks of his life. The Staff in there really are wonderful and so professional in (sometimes) extremely trying circumstances.

I know the title is rather morbid, but its horrible. My exs granny has two forms of cancer and its been such a rapid effect on her. 3 weeks ago she was sitting up in Hospital chatting away now shes back in her own house bed ridden and can barley move. Its so sad and heart wrenching to watch someone go through this.

Went through something very similar with my mother last year. The only real positive to be taken from this type of situation is that it's better that the decline and end is relatively rapid (if the condition is terminal), than dragged-out with the painful and traumatic consequences for all concerned. As Fonzarelli has said, your wee boy should be fine: he'll be too young to be too deeply affected by it...

Must be extremely difficult to realise that that's it.

Which is why medical and nursing staff tend to keep this from patients in this position, unless - I presume - the patient asks the question directly. I agree with you though: can't be easy to come to terms with, particularly if you're still young, or relatively so, and have lots to live for.

It is one of the most traumatic experiences imaginable.

I lost my Mum almost a year ago to cancer, and seeing her condition deteriorate was horrible. However, I was comforted by the knowledge that throughout her ordeal how much it meant to her to have family around her visiting daily, and that we were there at the end.

What must be reiterated is how incredible hospice workers are. At Marie Curie, the dedication and care that they show is nothing short of remarkable. They were outstanding in arranging care & transport to let my Mum come home one last time on Christmas Day, which made it an incredible occasion. Ever since this experience, I would urge anyone to contribute to Marie Curie Cancer Care. We managed to sign up for a team marathon to raise money for MCCC, and we managed to raise just under ?2,000 - almost four-times our target. I hope to do the same this year, as well as other fund-raising runs in the future.

I lost my grandad to cancer about 6 months ago and as you say they can be fine one day and then the next time you see them they are on deaths door.

You have my sympathy

I'm currently watching MS slowly killing one of my best mates.

hard to believe it`s 6 years since banny died jim

My poor auld maw pegged it with that bastart disease too. 3 months from diagnose to deid.

Cannie thank the staff at the Marie Curie enough. There is no enough money in the world to pay those lassies for whet they do.

I don't think I can offer anything new, just additions to this thread. A horrible, horrible disease that currently affects my Aunt and on Friday I go to my mate's wife's funeral because of it. I will hopefully see an old friend there that is also currently suffering.

The only hope is that I have this naive hope that it will be cured in the next 20-30 years. Fingers crossed for our younger generations, I would love for them to begin to forget what suffering Cancer is like.

Malcolm Tucker

One of my closest friends is currently suffering from terminal lymphoma. It is one of those things that is almost too difficult to comprehend going through yourself. All I can say is he is the most inspirational person I've ever met in my life. Me and my group of mates are all in our 20s and have, before Ross was diagnosed in August, never had this close a connection with someone who is suffering. I always tell him we reflect what mood he's in, probably because we don't entirely know how to react. However its not been a problem at all, because he is incredibly positive all the time, and is never thinking of, or feeling sorry for himself.

He was given 4 weeks to live in November, and I'm seeing him on Saturday for my pals birthday. Just got to savour every moment.

wholly understand what you're going through having watched it eat away at my mum.

we'd been trying to get a diagnosis for what was wrong with her for almost 18 months when they finally foiund it in her stomach. they gave her a pic line which directed chemo treatment straight into her heart cavity 24/7. threaded through a vein in her arm.

its dreadful for them and its almost worse for the family cos you're so helpless and all you want to do is make them better, or ease their pain.

thinking of you mate, its such a tough thing to be going through

Lotst my mother in law to cancer almost five users ago now. Went to the doctors with a slight cheat pain, was given the bad news. Her decline was breath takenly rapid and she passed away with three months of the diagnosis.

It was my first brush with this rancid disease. I ride my bike over 200 km every year to raise money for cancer research and care. At this event we have survivors, carers and researchers. It always humbles and moves me when I hear all the stories.

If you ever get a chance to raise or donate cash to cancer care and research then please spare whatever you can.

We will (collectively) find a cure for this disease in our lifetime.

Was speaking to my sister a couple of nights ago. One of her classmates' boyfriend died from cancer at the weekend.

He was 16.

:(

hard to believe it`s 6 years since banny died jim

He was a great lad (for a hibby) was my classmate at school and we created havoc in Maths and Art classes :)

It was bad enough to see him go through hell for 5 years.

Was speaking to my sister a couple of nights ago. One of her classmates' boyfriend died from cancer at the weekend.

He was 16.

:(

Tragic :(

My brothers mate died at that age too. They had fallen out for ages and ages, until one Friday at school they shook hands and made up whilst they were both sitting out at PE class. Over the course of the weekend he was rushed to hospital, diagnosed with lukemia and died. We couldn't beleive how quickly it all happened, and It made the front page of the evening news at the time. My brother was glad that he had managed to make up with him before he died.

This thread is rather upsetting is it not?

Makes you realise the fragility of life itself.

I have said it time after time, but particularly since having my kids, you must realise how short life is and live it accordingly. Go out and do the things that you want to do and enjoy life as much as you can. Also, to take note of what kind of a person you actually are. How will you be remembered? Have you in some way made a difference?

Imagine lying on your deathbed with loads of regrets.

That all sounds a bit evangelical, but it's true.

Archived