T on the Fringe no more?

Gershwin

Found this article on The Drum website:

"Beer brand Tennents will, next week, launch a new music festival which will see music fans take control of the entertainment budget.

It is thought that ?150,000 will be at the disposal of fans who will be able to vote on artists they want to see, venues they want to use and other details connected with the event which has been called The Tennents Mutual.

The festival will run later this summer and will effectively replace two other projects backed by the brewery, Tryptic, and T on the Fringe.

Promotion for the event will be handled by ad agency Newhaven, PR consultancy Burt Greener and sponsorship firms Material and Better Daze.

2Fluid, which earlier in the year was appointed as Tennent?s retained digital agency, has also been commissioned to develop the festival website.

Meanwhile, Tennents has also commissioned 2Fluid to create a new site for Virtual Hampden.

Focusing on Tennent?s football sponsorship, fans will be able log onto the site, secure a seat at a Virtual Hampden stadium and leave messages of support. Those who sign up will be able to access exclusive competitions, including a trip to Macedonia for Scotland?s opening World Cup qualifier.

The website platform will be supported by a sustained consumer PR campaign managed by Material, and a ?significant? below-the-line plan created by Stand."

Does that mean T on the Fringe won't be on this year? I know tryptic has already been axed but losing TONTF wouldn't be good for the festival. We hardly get enough gigs as it is in Edinburgh.

And that Tennent's Mutual sounds gash.

Its called Edge on the Fringe this year.

Will be going ahead, tennents are just refocusing.

Source; cant tell but dont worry guys 100% happening.

i heard something similar, the tennents part of it is due to the scottish gov IIRC trying to stop alcohol sponsoring music and sporting events

Nelly Terraces

Good, as I agree with Gersh that this Tennets Mutual malarkey sounds cobblers. As long as an equivelant to T on Fringe is going off I dont give a flying duck whose behind it, like Gersh said, poor enough in this town for gigs as it is, at least in August we get a whole load to go to all at once.

Nelly Terraces
i heard something similar, the tennents part of it is due to the scottish gov IIRC trying to stop alcohol sponsoring music and sporting events

Just burn that jumped up local council down, with the dicks who run the gaff in it at the same time. *****s.

Isn't Edge a type of Carlsberg'n'lime drink anyway? At least if it's going to be sponsored by a booze company, can't they make it something other than what my mother drank in the seventies?!

Anyway, sponsorship by alcohol companies isn't supposed to make people drink, it's supposed to influence their choice of drink. ;)

Is it anything to do with a fizzy orange drink perchance?

Living in Glasgow, i was never too bothered with T on the fringe although i saw Jurassic 5 a few years ago and it was great.

Triptych on the other hand has been the best festival in Scotland for about the last 5 years for my sort of music. Really sad to see it go.

Nelly Terraces

Agree, Triptych is really 'out there' as far as music goes and it's demise would be bad news.

The problem here is that DF Concerts look like they want to remove competition from the Hydro Connect festival.

They made a couple of excuses that don't seem to add up - they can't make use of Princes Street Gardens to get a decent capacity. Didn't Kasabian manage to do it at New Year?

Secondly, DF Concerts have a monopoly on the booking of artists and say they can't get any big names which is just bollocks - Carling weekend and dozens of other festivals run through Europe in August and September, so the bands are in the vicinity and could be booked.

The Hydro Connect festival is a bit out of the way for those of us in East Central Scotland, and you would have to camp if you wanted to go. I don't like camping and commute to T in the Park on a daily basis, which means I bypass the portaloos and come back the next day refreshed after a shower.

I await news of this Edge alternative, but fear they won't have much on offer.

The problem here is that DF Concerts look like they want to remove competition from the Hydro Connect festival.

They made a couple of excuses that don't seem to add up - they can't make use of Princes Street Gardens to get a decent capacity. Didn't Kasabian manage to do it at New Year?

Secondly, DF Concerts have a monopoly on the booking of artists and say they can't get any big names which is just bollocks - Carling weekend and dozens of other festivals run through Europe in August and September, so the bands are in the vicinity and could be booked.

The Hydro Connect festival is a bit out of the way for those of us in East Central Scotland, and you would have to camp if you wanted to go. I don't like camping and commute to T in the Park on a daily basis, which means I bypass the portaloos and come back the next day refreshed after a shower.

I await news of this Edge alternative, but fear they won't have much on offer.

Eh its DF that are puting Edge on... no one else. They arent removing any competition Tennents simply said they do enuff with T in the park.

Agree, Triptych is really 'out there' as far as music goes and it's demise would be bad news.

Yeah, it sucks. This is the last ever triptych.

Nelly Terraces
Yeah, it sucks. This is the last ever triptych.

Only hope is that someone else steps in to sponsor a similar event, a bit like what's happening with TotF. Can't see it though, as it's just too left field. Bah.

Isn't Edge a type of Carlsberg'n'lime drink anyway? At least if it's going to be sponsored by a booze company, can't they make it something other than what my mother drank in the seventies?!

Anyway, sponsorship by alcohol companies isn't supposed to make people drink, it's supposed to influence their choice of drink. ;)

Funny you say that.... Carling are rumoured to be looking at a way to gain more presence in Edinburgh.

Funny you say that.... Carling are rumoured to be looking at a way to gain more presence in Edinburgh.

Carling can stick their weegie, old firm-loving p*ss water where the sun don't shine!

(yes, I know it's brewed down south, but still...)

Carling can stick their weegie, old firm-loving p*ss water where the sun don't shine!

(yes, I know it's brewed down south, but still...)

They had a plan to take, 8% I think, of the market share up here which I think they achieved and they are now looking to extend that so I'd keep an eye out for either another academy popping up some where or more sponsorship op's.

Eh its DF that are puting Edge on... no one else. They arent removing any competition Tennents simply said they do enuff with T in the park.

I take it you work for DF, which is why you are getting upset.

It doesn't explain why they are quoted as saying they can't book any big name acts around the time when all the big bands are in Europe.

I've seen Pixies, Foo Fighters, and even Snow Patrol at Meadowbank. T on the Fringe was the only time of the year when we got decent bands coming to Edinburgh instead of Glasgow.

My point is I don't think DF want big Meadowbank or Murrayfield gigs at the same time as their precious new Hydro Connect festival, because more money from T on the Fringe would go to the artists instead of them.

It doesn't explain why they are quoted as saying they can't book any big name acts around the time when all the big bands are in Europe.

I've seen Pixies, Foo Fighters, and even Snow Patrol at Meadowbank. T on the Fringe was the only time of the year when we got decent bands coming to Edinburgh instead of Glasgow.

My point is I don't think DF want big Meadowbank or Murrayfield gigs at the same time as their precious new Hydro Connect festival, because more money from T on the Fringe would go to the artists instead of them.

I can't see Connect lasting too long. I don't think it sold out last year and this year's line up isn't exactly 'boutique festival'.

I can't see Connect lasting too long. I don't think it sold out last year and this year's line up isn't exactly 'boutique festival'.

The fact it didn't sell out last year is why I think they are trying to limit/close T on the Fringe.

Having bands like Radiohead, Foo Fighters, etc at the same time must have an effect on their ticket sales for Connect.

ArmiyaRomanova
Living in Glasgow, i was never too bothered with T on the fringe although i saw Jurassic 5 a few years ago and it was great.

Triptych on the other hand has been the best festival in Scotland for about the last 5 years for my sort of music. Really sad to see it go.

Too right, Triptych going is an absolute disaster - always at least two or three things on that I'd go to see, and me a curmudgeonly old duffer with somewhat esoteric tastes too....

Shame, because I've been trying to persuade Tuxedomoon (who're keen to set up their first ever shows in Scotland after over 30 years on the go) that Triptych would be an ideal home for them.

Sad to say, but if it's left up to the 'fans' to vote for shows they'd like to see, the dull mainstream will inevitably predominate.

haha I wish. I have to deal with them thru work.

I'll try and find out who's confirmed this week.

Can't tell your source? I got an official email about it being called Edge two days ago!

Can't tell your source? I got an official email about it being called Edge two days ago!

Fair doos.. I never, wouldnt be so stupid to say 'cant say my source' if I did. :confused:

Archived