Malt

christhejambo

christhejambo

Have had my brother up in Aberdeen for a few days, and there have been 2 bottles consumed far too quickly. Being a student, not may of my friends have the taste for a nice malt at the moment, but i cant get enough of it. I prefer a nice smokey, peaty number- Ardbeg, Tallisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin etc. Anyone got any recommendations that aren't going to cost me an absolute fortune, but are a tasty all the same? Not necessarilly Islay malts. :P

Dix Handley

Cheapest decent malt would probably be Glenmorangie(?20 approx).

However, if you can forego the sniffy types,really like the

Islay malts and are REALLY REALLY SKINT go for Black Bottle a....

BLENDED whiskey.(says he with his Glenfiddich Special Reserve;)).

Malt is an aquired taste much like wine. It all depends on your palate.

Try Highland Park from Orkney. Quite sweet, but still got a bit of smokiness to it, and you can probably pick it up for about ?25 a bottle.

Have had my brother up in Aberdeen for a few days, and there have been 2 bottles consumed far too quickly. Being a student, not may of my friends have the taste for a nice malt at the moment, but i cant get enough of it. I prefer a nice smokey, peaty number- Ardbeg, Tallisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin etc. Anyone got any recommendations that aren't going to cost me an absolute fortune, but are a tasty all the same? Not necessarilly Islay malts. :P

Why have anything else but the best ! Got into malts a few years ago and there is nothing better than having a whole night on Laphroig ! even tho the polish bar staff in most of edinburgh don't understand what you are saying ! I asked for one a few months ago and after 30 mins of the daft bint looking for the bottle she pour it into a shot glasses ! There is no higher insult to malt than this !

Sorry missed the point of the thread, Highland park is also a very good choice, something a bit different is Cragganmore, its got a wee kick that you need to get to used to tho.

UnworthyPapaLazaru

I have a sore head today due to Glenlivet and Balvenie. Doubt they are cheap, but the are very nice.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

How much you got to spend?

Supermarkets are a great place as the usually have some bargains on offer

I got Glenmorangie before Xmas for ?16!!

Auchentoshan Three Wood is really floating my boat at the mo. Load of bang for your buck!! Can be had for about ?25 a bottle.

Glenkinchie is my favourite but not very smoky. As in, not smoky at all.

Laphraoig? Jeez, that stuff smells like TCP!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I have a lovely bottle of 77 Ardbeg open at the moment

Tres Bonne

Cheapest decent malt would probably be Glenmorangie(?20 approx).

However, if you can forego the sniffy types,really like the

Islay malts and are REALLY REALLY SKINT go for Black Bottle a....

BLENDED whiskey.(says he with his Glenfiddich Special Reserve;)).

You see, I really like Black Bottle, but I am not a fan of Islay malts per se.

Bizarre....:confused:

christhejambo
I have a lovely bottle of 77 Ardbeg open at the moment

Tres Bonne

Dont even mention Ardbeg to me today. Eventually ended up tanking about 2/3 of a bottle of the bog standard ten y/o last night. On top of a few cans of Carling, i still have a ferocious head on me this afternoon because of the stuff!

Bit of an ecclectic mix there- Tins of Carling to this delightful necter in the space of a few hours. Good times though!

A blend I aye found easy on the palate is Stewart's Cream of the Barley, though Highland Park's gotta be one of my favourite malts.

A Boy Named Crow

I used to think most whiskies were much of a muchness till I stumbled across yer man Tallisker there. It was a couple of years ago, and I haven't looked back!

Dix Handley
You see, I really like Black Bottle, but I am not a fan of Islay malts per se.

Bizarre....:confused:

raw-spirits.jpg

This is a rather good read despite Bank`s flabby lib lab *****erings.He does

at least give you all the stuff you need to know and treats the "Holy Spirit"

and its due processes with a lot of respect. He lets you know his favourites

too. All thats missing is the footy..GREENOCK MORTON:evilno: FFS!

Archived