Football Manager Challenge

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Ryan Gosling

Was promoted as champions with 103 points, Velicka with 31 goals.

League One is a lot harder though, but Beniusis has been a god send. He's a machine in this version.

transfer4ps2.jpg

Enjoying it.

Was promoted as champions with 103 points, Velicka with 31 goals.

League One is a lot harder though, but Beniusis has been a god send. He's a machine in this version.

transfer4ps2.jpg

Enjoying it.

Benny Hill was a handy player for me, in the version with the latest patch. Not good enough to play often but great to send on as a target man, got a few important goals.

I started with Stockport. Just about to start the season.

Started the other day as Stockport won league 2 in the first season and im third after ten games in league 1.

Ryan Gosling
Benny Hill was a handy player for me, in the version with the latest patch. Not good enough to play often but great to send on as a target man, got a few important goals.

This is the version where his heading and finishing are 20, and the rest is like 4.

My football is 'long ball to Benny'.

It works. :D

This is the version where his heading and finishing are 20, and the rest is like 4.

My football is 'long ball to Benny'.

It works. :D

Hoofball ;)

RockyBalboa
Started the other day as Stockport won league 2 in the first season and im third after ten games in league 1.

Pressures on then :) That lad from Liverpools good and I just got Man Utd as a parent club who have sent me Dong and Galbraith. Mon the Stockport. :cool:

That's incredible if that's not done with some serious editing! Can you post transfer historys?

No editing at all!

season1.jpg

season2.jpg

season3.jpg

season4.jpg

season5.jpg

I punted most of the squad in the first season and brought in youngsters on free transfers. If you use the 'load all players' option when starting the game and select England there is a lot more players to choose from.

Once I'd reached league 2 I could attract players from abroad and brought in some real gems from Eastern Europe.

RockyBalboa
No editing at all!

season1.jpg

season2.jpg

season3.jpg

season4.jpg

season5.jpg

I punted most of the squad in the first season and brought in youngsters on free transfers. If you use the 'load all players' option when starting the game and select England there is a lot more players to choose from.

Once I'd reached league 2 I could attract players from abroad and brought in some real gems from Eastern Europe.

Your **** hot at FM mate. Credit where it's due.

Say What Again

I've made a start on this tonight as Peterborough.

They have ?200k to spend so it's a decent budget for this division. I'm toiling to get anyone to sign from Hearts though.

I'll post screens when the transfer window closes.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just played this tonight actually, been to busy to play recently.

Got promotion to League 1 with 97 points in the bag and 98 goals.

Balance is up to over 1 million now so quite happy with that.

Made a few decent signings .... screenies as soon as I can be arsed!

I've been slow in starting this, because I'm still having loads of fun being the Hearts manager...

I'll try to start it tonight when I have some time - any recommendations on the best team to go with?

Say What Again
any recommendations on the best team to go with?

To be honest they're all pretty mince Bry and most of them only have about ?10k to spend. Good loan signings are vital (says me who's wasted one of his 4 on a keeper I don't play)

You could always start a game and add yourself as the manager to 7 or 8 teams, check out the budgets and playing staff, then pick the team you want and start a new game with them.

To be honest they're all pretty mince Bry and most of them only have about ?10k to spend. Good loan signings are vital (says me who's wasted one of his 4 on a keeper I don't play)

You could always start a game and add yourself as the manager to 7 or 8 teams, check out the budgets and playing staff, then pick the team you want and start a new game with them.

Cheers - but I think I'll go with Accrington Stanley

Does anyone remember an advert years ago... "Accrington Stanley??!!" :)

Say What Again
Cheers - but I think I'll go with Accrington Stanley

I've actually had a go with them in a previous game of FM2008. I'm positive I started with ?10k but they were pretty decent at the back already which always helps. Peter Cavanagh and Robbie Williams I seem to remember

Does anyone remember an advert years ago... "Accrington Stanley??!!" :)

"Milk?"

"It's what Ian Rush drinks"

"Ian Rush?"

"He says if I didn't drink lots of milk I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"

"Accrington Stanley? ... Who are they??!"

"Exactly!"

:)

I've actually had a go with them in a previous game of FM2008. I'm positive I started with ?10k but they were pretty decent at the back already which always helps. Peter Cavanagh and Robbie Williams I seem to remember

"Milk?"

"Ian Rush?"

"He says if I didn't drink lots of milk I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"

"Exactly!"

HAHA magic. soccer AM used this for years. class

"Milk?"

"Ian Rush?"

"Exactly!"

That's the one!!!

I went blackpool in the championship, but have lost my first 3 league games of the season. So not looking too good :(

was thinking of also going Eddsfleet (yes due to myfootballclub) would prob get them relegated out of the game though???

Say What Again
I've made a start on this tonight as Peterborough.

They have ?200k to spend so it's a decent budget for this division. I'm toiling to get anyone to sign from Hearts though.

I'll post screens when the transfer window closes.

OK, I've made a slow start to this and won't be doing anything tonight as I'm out to watch the game.

Here's the signings up until the close of the window:

I was delighted to get in Gilbert (Arsenal) and Campbell (Man U) on loan as well as getting Matt Jansen on a free - but none of them top signing a player called Shoes Moshoeu (even if he is 38) :P

transfers0708it3.jpg

So, so start in the league with 2 wins, a draw and a defeat. I also went out the League Cup in the 1st round though I did play West Brom (1-2)

I started with the Stanley last night.

Predicted finish - very low!!

I'm not playing it as fast as others, so I've only played 2 pre-season friendlies, and am still in the middle of the first window. I have signed Sean Mackle though, and Dong Fangzhou (sp?) on loan.

I had an offer for Arthur Sorin accepted, but he didn't want to come to England...

First friendly: beaten at home 2-1 by QPR

2nd friendly: beat Stenhousmuir 8-1 away

I'll post my transfers when I'm at the end of the window...

Well, an up and down start to the season...

A 2-2 draw in my first league game, followed by a 6-3 humping (was 6-0 down) in the LEague Cup at Preston, then a 6-5 home win in the league, and then a 4-2 defeat in the league.

Talk about rollercoaster!!!

Anyhow, here are my transfers...

accringtontransfers1jl0.png

• 2 weeks later...
Say What Again

I don't know if anyone's still doing this, but after a week of no FM, I started again today and might as well have continued this, so.......

Using a tactic I found on the web, I ended up champions.

0708tableem2.jpg

Tactic:

teamsj4.jpg

Luckily, Peterborough are a 'big' team in League 2 so I was expected to go up and had a transfer kitty of (I think) around ?200k - very big for that division.

I was pleased getting in Campbell from Man Utd (he hit 30) and Gilbert (who was solid but was booked 13 times and saw red once). At the time I was delighted at bringing in Matt Jansen on a free but he quickly started to moan and was moved on in January.

Thanks to a tie-in with Fulham I brought in a couple of their players on loan too.

I offered son of Sir Alex, Darren a mutual termination to which agreed for nothing because he felt sure he'd get another club. 2 months later he signed for Haddington :rolleyes:

transfersdp4.jpg

34 year old Scot, Andy Liddle was a decent bit of business but 39 year old Shoes Moshoeu turned out even better chipping in with 10 goals and 19 assists.

shoesfo2.jpg

Peterborough had a few stars of their own already though and George Boyd netted 22 assists and 6 goals before getting injured towards the end of the season.

boyday2.jpg

The tactic I downloaded had the best corner setup I've came across in FM resulting in my DC(L) (who's hight/heading/jumping isn't great) scoring 21 times.

shaneni2.jpg

His equivalent position in the reserves got 23!

Having to sign a Hearts player as part of the challenge proved the most difficult and I could only bring in Sean Mackle (3 starts 18 subs). At one point the board were questioning his signing.

Anyway, roll on next season.

Anyone else still doing this or his GTA IV taken over? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Say What Again

Well, if the challenge rules were that you had to go up every season, then I've failed in season 2.

I missed out on the play-offs by 1 point. :(

0809tablevv8.jpg

I finished really strongly but my early season form cost me. By the turn of the year I hadn't been higher than 14th.

0809formno4.jpg

Frazier Campbell wouldn't come back on loan even though Peterborough were now listed as one of his favourite teams and I really struggled to replace his 30 goals.

I had a generous transfer budget of ?0 so it had to be a loan signing. I tried James Triosi of Necwcastle but he wasn't an out and out goalscorer so tried various forwards on short term loans.

Rhodes and Harsanyi came in. Rhodes started with 4 in 4 then got injured and I had to terminate his loan. Harsanyi wasn't the answer but chipped in with 4 from 11.

I thought I'd finally knocked it off when I managed to get Sylvan Ebanks-Blake from Wolves but he was the biggest flop of the lot scoring only once in 13 games.

The answer eventually proved to be Tam McManus :eek: who I'd brought in as a squad player. I played him up front and he finished the season with 14 from 21 games but by then I'd wasted too much time finding a forward and was well behind in the league.

As well as McManus a few other familiar faces were brought in seeing McManus joined by Seth Johnson, Calum Davidson and Lauren Robert. By far my biggest signing coup though was getting Ibby Tall on a free (being paid ?4500 a week - more than twice that of any other player in my squad).

0809transfersro5.jpg

The twin factors of the goalscoring corner set-up and the fact that I played half the season trying various forwards, meant Tall finished the season as top scorer.

tallck5.jpg

I've a decision to make now as Portsmouth finished 13th in the Championship prompting them to sack Harry Redknapp and offer me the job.

I've given up on this challenge - managing Acrington Stanley didn't the same thrill or emotional impact (!) of managing Hearts in my ongoing game.

Having said that - we've just had a stinker of a season in 2014...

Archived