We Were Promised Jet Packs

Deodato

Jukebox Kickback.

This time last year, the buzz in the UK music industry was Frightened Rabbit. They've since been deep in production for their first album on a major. On the grapevine, and via BAGEL radio in San Francisco, I was tipped We Were Promised Jet Packs (from Edinburgh).

Several other talent spotters in the US name checked them, and then (on a trip back home) Brothers & Co gave it the seal of approval in the Diggers.

Not saying they're ready to explode or any misplaced hype, but they've got songs, they've got energy and they rock.

Medicine is my pick, it reminds me of Franz Ferdinand had they rocked out a little bit more and turned it up to eleven.

Anyone else on JKB heard the band, or seen them live? Grateful for comments.

I'll say this: the Scottish music scene is really strong right now. Noticeably strong. Slip stream effects may await.

Deodato

Saw them on the 19th of December at the ABC in Glasgow. Place was packed and they tore it a new one! Tight as a ducks arse. The build up in Pear Tree was Mogwai-esqe! They play with energy and what I like about them most is that the front man, Adam Thompson, isn't your typical "front man". Plain black T shirt and jeans. None of this pencil thin scarf, skinny jeans and daft hat carry on. Decent.

scots civil war

not bad,not bad

proper production on their album will elevate them from that `medicine`

sound typically scottish right enough,which is good

good luck to em

I loved the first album, not so keen on the second. Although to be honest I haven't listened to it enough yet. Never seen them live so need to get that sorted before they start touring bigger venues.

I'm sure 3 out of the 4 of them are Jambos as well.

:verysmug:

saw them a few years back when I lived with one of the Bronto Skylift boys and they were on the same bill. it's difficult to say convincingly that you knew a band would do well at that stage so I won't. they were certainly better than most of the bands I saw around that period and I'd be chuffed if they get a bit of success.

Steve Jones, Sex Pistol, has been playing them on Jonesys Jukebox. Unfortunately the radio station hasn't done any podcasts yet. Unless you know different?

Good friends with Adam Thompson's (lead singer) brother. Cracking band, destined for big big things. My fav is still Quiet Little Voices, a great tune albeit one of their older tunes. Has been used on Sky Sports, Setanta and in the film Hall Pass. Would recommend anyone to go and see them if you get the chance.

Ships with holes will sink, is my favourite number by them.

Saw them at Liquid Rooms a couple of months back and tjey were decent. Adam's got a class voice!

Radioactive Mince

What would you call your band, or moot for a name if a group decision, Gigolo? Just wondering, not honestly having a go or that. I'd call mine "Blowback Scar".

I, like others, prefer their earlier stuff. Would've liked to've been at Corn Exchange to see their support for JEW, a band I really like. Hope to see success for them and a hometown band of mine, The Draymin in 2012 :cheers:

What would you call your band, or moot for a name if a group decision, Gigolo? Just wondering, not honestly having a go or that. I'd call mine "Blowback Scar".

I, like others, prefer their earlier stuff. Would've liked to've been at Corn Exchange to see their support for JEW, a band I really like. Hope to see success for them and a hometown band of mine, The Draymin in 2012 :cheers:

'Eh?'

Saw them on the 19th of December at the ABC in Glasgow. Place was packed and they tore it a new one! Tight as a ducks arse. The build up in Pear Tree was Mogwai-esqe! They play with energy and what I like about them most is that the front man, Adam Thompson, isn't your typical "front man". Plain black T shirt and jeans. None of this pencil thin scarf, skinny jeans and daft hat carry on. Decent.

I doubt he could fit in to skinny jeans. Great live band but they could do with some decent patter between songs.

Whitecapjambo

Saw them out here a few years ago and know the lead singers cousin. Pretty sure she said most of them were jambos. With them and frightened rabbit it is good to see some non weegie Scottish bands making a name for themselves.

There are some great music coming out of Scotland at the moment.

Admiral Fallow (admittedly, the singer's a hibee)

The Twilight Sad

Washington Irving

Lightguides

The Xcerts

There Will Be Fireworks

Mogwai

New Malcolm Middleton stuff

Aidan Moffat & Bill Wells

King Creosote

Kid Canaveral

Beerjacket

Three Blind Wolves (forgot about them!)

Jukebox Kickback.

This time last year, the buzz in the UK music industry was Frightened Rabbit. They've since been deep in production for their first album on a major. On the grapevine, and via BAGEL radio in San Francisco, I was tipped We Were Promised Jet Packs (from Edinburgh).

Several other talent spotters in the US name checked them, and then (on a trip back home) Brothers & Co gave it the seal of approval in the Diggers.

Not saying they're ready to explode or any misplaced hype, but they've got songs, they've got energy and they rock.

Medicine is my pick, it reminds me of Franz Ferdinand had they rocked out a little bit more and turned it up to eleven.

Anyone else on JKB heard the band, or seen them live? Grateful for comments.

I'll say this: the Scottish music scene is really strong right now. Noticeably strong. Slip stream effects may await.

Deodato

Thank you Deodato! I've seen this band around for a while, usually on those King Tut's flyers you get at every gig in Glasgow. Had never listened to them before but I have now. I love it!

On a seperate note, I went to The Revival Tour at the ABC in Glasgow this year. Chuck Ragan, Brian Fallon, Dan Adriano and Dave Hause. It's probably not to everyone's taste but during the last song, Dave Hause got Scott (?) from Frightened Rabbit up on stage. Turns out he was standing right next to us. I've never took the time to listen to them either so that's my next port of call.

Thanks for the list, I'll start shopping/clicking.

The band Admiral Fallow was the other one that cropped up in national music industry trade press with strong praise.

Deodato

They gave me juice and biscuits when I was working on the dressing room door when they supported JEW at the corn exchange :turned:

Sterling Archer

They gave me juice and biscuits when I was working on the dressing room door when they supported JEW at the corn exchange :turned:

What is this code for?

They musically sound good. The singer though.....the Scottish accent singing :down:

What do you expect - them to put on some phoney american twang?

A Scottish accent can add character to a band's music and I didn't have a problem with it. I'm one for Scottish bands having their own identity.

Fish added a lot of character to Marillion's music for example, and was still pretty good the other week when I saw him at The Caves.

What do you expect - them to put on some phoney american twang?

A Scottish accent can add character to a band's music and I didn't have a problem with it. I'm one for Scottish bands having their own identity.

Fish added a lot of character to Marillion's music for example, and was still pretty good the other week when I saw him at The Caves.

Not at all but I get the impression a lot of these bands put it on. Must be a Biffy trend.

Not at all but I get the impression a lot of these bands put it on. Must be a Biffy trend.

Bands like Idlewild were doing that long before Biffy. I've never rated Biffy TBH.

The Twilight Sad

Washington Irving

Lightguides

The Xcerts

There Will Be Fireworks

Mogwai

King Creosote

Kid Canaveral

Beerjacket

Seen the Xcerts 3 or 4 times

They tour as support quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvo73wvAHE8

tumblr_lv2cw14KMX1qjgh75o1_500.jpg

Seen the Xcerts 3 or 4 times

They tour as support quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvo73wvAHE8

tumblr_lv2cw14KMX1qjgh75o1_500.jpg

Going to see them at The Borderline in a few weeks.

Not seen them since I saw them in the Aberdeen University Union 'Dungeon' in 2001. They were about 13 and the singer's voice hadn't broken yet!

BoJack Horseman

Wasnt tokin' 2 u, blud.

Fought it was a orite kweschun masel innit.

:huh:

Think he meant 'Eh?' would be the band name.

Saw WWPJ in the liquid rooms for the first time a few months back, was very impressed by them.

Was planning on seeing them through here in Glasgow too but it clashed with a pre-planned trip to Blackpool with the wee yin to Nickelodeon Land.

Very good live and very tight, hoping they go onto bigger & better things!

Good choice. :thumbsup:

Lobey Dosser

You could add Penguins Kill Polar Bears, Verse Metrics, and The Gothenburg Address Gershwin :thumbsup:

Yassss! Great stuff. I used to be in a band with one of the guys who plays in PKPB and TGA.

Both great bands, but am especially loving the re-incarnation of the Gothenburg Address. "The Hessian" is top notch. :thumbsup:

Lobey Dosser

The Twilight Sad

Washington Irving

Lightguides

The Xcerts

There Will Be Fireworks

Mogwai

King Creosote

Kid Canaveral

Beerjacket

Brilliant stuff here Gershwin.

Love Lightguides - never seen a drummer quite like theirs. There Will Be Fireworks are always awesome.

Future of Scottish music looks good when you look at a list like that.

Sterling Archer

A band called Make Sparks

I almost hired them, couldn't get the contract sorted but as a band theyre great. Saw them up in Aberdeen about a year ago.

Archived