Energy prices, too high?

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Got home today to find the better half with flames coming outta her ears (nothing new in that really, typical burd!).

Turns out we recieved a bill from Scottish Power for ?320!!! :evilno:

I called them up and asked them how the hell we could possibly be behind to the tune of ?320 in the short space of 7 months that we had occupied the property, and they said because they had only started us off on ?58 per month, and that prices had risen quite a lot!

It was them that set the bloody price in the first place I thought, so challenged them on this and they said that it was an estimate, so I asked if our bill was also an estimate (as they wanted to put our payments up to ?105 pm) and they said that it was!

Ha!! I thought, you've over estimated my bill and quite obviously made some sort of mistake somewhere, so I gave her my exact gas and electric meter readings and she confirmed that she had made a mistake, and that they had flippin UNDER estimated and now we were due ?118 pm!!!! :oopsoops:

That basically means that were going to be paying around ?1500 a bloody year for our energy bills ffs! Never before have I ever paid more than ?1000 a year for energy bills, and I've lived in bigger houses than the one I'm in now, talk about robbery fs!!

So, whilst I'm sitting here on the laptop (running on battery power), and the missus is sitting watching the box (both of us with the gas heating OFF and hats and scarves on), does anyone know if there would be anything in the house that would cost us a fortune to run, because somethings robbing me blind somewhere, either that or a neighbour is tapping into our freekin supply!

Any ideas?

chester copperpot

My last gas bill in the weej was for ?300 mate. Almost collapsed when Yvonne showed me the statement. I immediately turned off everything in the hoose, including lights, and its a coal fire and parafin lamps for me here on in ma boy.

Switch supplier, take shorter showers, basically anything that heats stuff up costs a fortune to run, so microwave instead of boil veg, only boil what water you need in the kettle, don't leave the TV or PC on standby (this uses up nearly as much 'leccy as when they're on), don't leave phone chargers etc. on overnight, turn down the thermostat by a couple of degrees, you'll hardly notice the difference, wear a jumper in the house (most of us want to lounge around in T-shirts, it's going to be down to 0 tonight FFS!)

Get a wood burning stove and pick up twigs and branches and stuff when you out for walks on Sundays! Free fuel from public parks! And it's environmentally friendly, sustainable fuel and all that!

I'd love a wood burning stove, whoever thought it was good idea to do away with fire places was a feckin' idiot.

funktasticlad
Got home today to find the better half with flames coming outta her ears (nothing new in that really, typical burd!).

I called them up and asked them how the hell we could possibly be behind to the tune of ?320 in the short space of 7 months that we had occupied the property, and they said because they had only started us off on ?58 per month, and that prices had risen quite a lot!

It was them that set the bloody price in the first place I thought, so challenged them on this and they said that it was an estimate, so I asked if our bill was also an estimate (as they wanted to put our payments up to ?105 pm) and they said that it was!

Ha!! I thought, you've over estimated my bill and quite obviously made some sort of mistake somewhere, so I gave her my exact gas and electric meter readings and she confirmed that she had made a mistake, and that they had flippin UNDER estimated and now we were due ?118 pm!!!! :oopsoops:

That basically means that were going to be paying around ?1500 a bloody year for our energy bills ffs! Never before have I ever paid more than ?1000 a year for energy bills, and I've lived in bigger houses than the one I'm in now, talk about robbery fs!!

So, whilst I'm sitting here on the laptop (running on battery power), and the missus is sitting watching the box (both of us with the gas heating OFF and hats and scarves on), does anyone know if there would be anything in the house that would cost us a fortune to run, because somethings robbing me blind somewhere, either that or a neighbour is tapping into our freekin supply!

Any ideas?

Electric power shower is probably the worst offender, or if your boiler is run off of electricity thats another prime suspect anything thats got an element so cooker, toaster, kettle use loads as does a tumble dryer. What to do is look at your meter and there should be a flashing light, the intervales it flashes is dependant on how much kw your using. So as a tester have a look at it then turn on your shower (if you've got an electric one) and look again instead of a steady flash it'll resemble summit more like gary glitters pulse rate whilst in pc world.

Aye but cardboard boxes dont count pal ;)

Seriously though, you must stay in a bedsit, or with 17 Polish people paying the same each month.

It's just me in a 3 bedroom flat.

I suppose i could get rid of the computer and the pool table and move in a couple of hot polish girls......

The Old Tolbooth

Thanks for the pointers so far folks, a few things to consider are

I have a gas heating system (not a combi boiler) but its on most of the day to provide hot water (thats been hooked already) and I turn it on to take the chill off the air.

The shower is not a power shower but takes hot water from the tank which is constantly being bloody heated (arrgghhhh!)

I also have a fridge freezer in a cupboard and someone told me that its not energy effective to do that for some reason.

I must admit to leaving the telly on standby a lot (I've smacked my fingers for that one), the Wii is also forever on standby, and I charge my phone during the night (but thought once it was charged that that was it, it didnt use any more power)

The missus has just went to make a cup of tea and I told her to boil her water in the microwave :)

How bigs your home? Do you pay by direct debit? Any outside lighting etc? Any idea what tariff your on? What kind of meter do you have(will have it written on the front..?

The Old Tolbooth
How bigs your home? Do you pay by direct debit? Any outside lighting etc? Any idea what tariff your on? What kind of meter do you have(will have it written on the front..?

It's a 3 bed flat bob, a fair size though, we pay by D/D, no outside lighting that we pay for (not that we know about anyway) and the meter only has "ac watthour meter" written on the front of it Bob.

Our tarrifs are 7.945 for electric and 2.483 for gas, is that bad? :confused:

Your phone'll take about two hours to charge, it keeps sucking out leccy all night, think about how warm the charger is in the morning!

The Old Tolbooth
Your phone'll take about two hours to charge, it keeps sucking out leccy all night, think about how warm the charger is in the morning!

Crikey right enough, I didnt realise that :oopsoops:

chester copperpot

He deserves it for staying in Rosyth. I'd say make it more expensive for the hicks so us normal, city dwelling people can have cheaper electricity etc ;)

It's a 3 bed flat bob, a fair size though, we pay by D/D, no outside lighting that we pay for (not that we know about anyway) and the meter only has "ac watthour meter" written on the front of it Bob.

just got my elecy bill yesterday too and our tarriff is price per kWh first [email protected] next 1089 @ 8.825 thats from the old meter.

The new meter got installed 5th Feb and it is now 53 @ 22.772p and then next [email protected] so if you think yours is expensive look at ours????

The Old Tolbooth
just got my elecy bill yesterday too and our tarriff is price per kWh first [email protected] next 1089 @ 8.825 thats from the old meter.

The new meter got installed 5th Feb and it is now 53 @ 22.772p and then next [email protected] so if you think yours is expensive look at ours????

Crikey, thats high mate, the higher tariff is for the standing charge for the meter, I found that out tonight when I called them fatherless lol!

davemclaren

I currently pay ?65 a month for gas and the same for electricity. That's ?1560 a year. It ain't cheap!! There are 4 of us in a 5 bedroomed house though and no-one, apart from me, likes to turn anything off. And my eldest loves to study ( aka be on bebo ) in the conservatory with 2 oil filled radiators on. :mad:

Re electric showers, you only have them working for 10/15 minutes a day so I reckon they can't be that expensive compared to running baths.

The Old Tolbooth
I currently pay ?65 a month for gas and the same for electricity. That's ?1560 a year. It ain't cheap!! There are 4 of us in a 5 bedroomed house though and no-one, apart from me, likes to turn anything off. And my eldest loves to study ( aka be on bebo ) in the conservatory with 2 oil filled radiators on. :mad:

Re electric showers, you only have them working for 10/15 minutes a day so I reckon they can't be that expensive compared to running baths.

Heh heh, I know exactly what you mean Dave, it does my head in (probably more so because my other half goes nuts and I canny handle the backlash!!!)

Seems fairly reasonable tbh. Did you get that tariff off the meter or off a bill? Id double check your on the right tariff. You'll be paying a standing charge above that aswell, don't quote me on this but i think its around 30p per day. Heard a little rumour Scottish power are putting their prices up yet again. Scots and southern just put prices up by about 17% last week. Id phone up SP and ask to speak to an energy efficiency department. They'll be able to guide you on where you are going wrong. Have you got both Elec and gas with scottish power? Id hound them and see if theres any cheaper tariffs out there that you can get on. I know British Gas do online paying which is pretty cheap, save about 17% annually compared to a prepayment meter.

The Old Tolbooth
Seems fairly reasonable tbh. Did you get that tariff off the meter or off a bill? Id double check your on the right tariff. You'll be paying a standing charge above that aswell, don't quote me on this but i think its around 30p per day. Heard a little rumour Scottish power are putting their prices up yet again. Scots and southern just put prices up by about 17% last week. Id phone up SP and ask to speak to an energy efficiency department. They'll be able to guide you on where you are going wrong. Have you got both Elec and gas with scottish power? Id hound them and see if theres any cheaper tariffs out there that you can get on. I know British Gas do online paying which is pretty cheap, save about 17% annually compared to a prepayment meter.

We pay a charge of 15.118 for having the meter in the house Bob, I think whats happened is they started us off far too cheaply and so our expectations were that we should be paying what they initially started us off on and when they doubled the flamin thing it came as a bit of a shock.

On another line, where else would you get away with hiking prices up a massive 17% at a time, when inflation is sitting around 2%, it should be illegal and viewed as gluttony!

portobellojambo1
Thanks for the pointers so far folks, a few things to consider are

I have a gas heating system (not a combi boiler) but its on most of the day to provide hot water (thats been hooked already) and I turn it on to take the chill off the air.

The shower is not a power shower but takes hot water from the tank which is constantly being bloody heated (arrgghhhh!)

I also have a fridge freezer in a cupboard and someone told me that its not energy effective to do that for some reason.

I must admit to leaving the telly on standby a lot (I've smacked my fingers for that one), the Wii is also forever on standby, and I charge my phone during the night (but thought once it was charged that that was it, it didnt use any more power)

The missus has just went to make a cup of tea and I told her to boil her water in the microwave :)

Get her switched onto iced tea John, save a fortune.

Cannot believe the costs, when I was staying in the flat down Leith both suppliers, Scottish Gas and Scottish Electric, came round to the flat because they were convinced I was at the fiddle, which I wasn't. I didn't see much point in fiddling as my monthly bill was ?25 for gas and ?12.50 for electricity. Central heating was only switched on from beginning of November to end of February, water heater was on for 1 hour in the morning, to ensure there was enough hot water for us both to get ready for work, and an hour in the evening. Low wattage long life bulbs in all the lamps etc. etc.

I think it makes a difference too if there is someone at home all day, your power usage increases, and if there are kids in the equation things like the washing machine, tumble dryer etc. tend to be on more than normal.

Best time to tumble dry clothes is overnight, stick the clothes in when they come out the washing machine, and set the cycle to start about 12:30 am, on low heat cycle.

We pay a charge of 15.118 for having the meter in the house Bob, I think whats happened is they started us off far too cheaply and so our expectations were that we should be paying what they initially started us off on and when they doubled the flamin thing it came as a bit of a shock.

On another line, where else would you get away with hiking prices up a massive 17% at a time, when inflation is sitting around 2%, it should be illegal and viewed as gluttony!

Blame the government. Cost of supplying gas and elec has soared. Saying that Centricas(own British gas) turnover last year was something like 2 billion pounds.

Threaten to right to energy watch if you don't get answers, you'll get everything you need fairly fast and all the correct info.

Any ideas?

Get yourself a independent financial advisor :confused:;):P:)

so microwave instead of boil veg

Just zap any goodness out the veg in one full swoop! You will get as much nutrition from eating cardboard after zapping the veg in a microwave :)

The Old Tolbooth
Get her switched onto iced tea John, save a fortune.

Cannot believe the costs, when I was staying in the flat down Leith both suppliers, Scottish Gas and Scottish Electric, came round to the flat because they were convinced I was at the fiddle, which I wasn't. I didn't see much point in fiddling as my monthly bill was ?25 for gas and ?12.50 for electricity. Central heating was only switched on from beginning of November to end of February, water heater was on for 1 hour in the morning, to ensure there was enough hot water for us both to get ready for work, and an hour in the evening. Low wattage long life bulbs in all the lamps etc. etc.

I think it makes a difference too if there is someone at home all day, your power usage increases, and if there are kids in the equation things like the washing machine, tumble dryer etc. tend to be on more than normal.

Best time to tumble dry clothes is overnight, stick the clothes in when they come out the washing machine, and set the cycle to start about 12:30 am, on low heat cycle.

I think your at the fiddle in more ways than this PJ;)

Any ideas?

I usually pay around ?200-?230 per quarter for gas+electricity.

Was ?308 last time though. :mad:

CompleteIdiot
Just zap any goodness out the veg in one full swoop! You will get as much nutrition from eating cardboard after zapping the veg in a microwave :)

Microwave cooking is a good way to cook fresh vegetables: it?s quick and retains nutrients and fresh flavour.

http://www.vegetableexpert.co.uk/PreparingAndCooking.html

Fear not people, microwaving your vegetables is totally safe and it wont cause as much nutrient loss as you think.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/entertainment/step_up/index.php/2008/03/05/your-microwave-hates-broccoli/

CompleteIdiot
Fiddle the meter John for yourself, but not for the street.

That picture's really quite disturbing. :eek:

portobellojambo1
I think your at the fiddle in more ways than this PJ;)

I am good, honest, upstanding citizen, or some Tom Kite like that. ;)

The Old Tolbooth
Fiddle the meter John for yourself, but not for the street.

Any tips on how to do it Deek? ;)

Any tips on how to do it Deek? ;)

Peice of Pish, all you need is a coat hanger and a bible. :)

I think energy prices are extorninate, we live in a two-bed flat and our bills are never below ?230 per quarter. But I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that people (incl. me) waste a lot of electricity leaving lights on and things on standbye and that houses built in the UK are maybe not as energy efficient as houses in Scandanavian countries for example. In the long run, the high prices will encourage people to invest in more energy efficient appliances (fridges, washing machines etc) and manufacturers will respond to demand for greater energy efficiency by improving their products. On the plus side, higher prices will eventually lead to less energy consumption which is good for the environment. Silver lining eh? ;)

Crikey right enough, I didnt realise that :oopsoops:

I take anything I charge into work, like phone and ipod

The Old Tolbooth

Lol @ bible!!

I think I'd need that!

The Old Tolbooth
I take anything I charge into work, like phone and ipod

That would be a great idea

If I didnt work from home :confused:

That would be a great idea

If I didnt work from home :confused:

Baws to that idea then!

Wonder if I can get a device that I can charge during the day that is capable of supplying power for the house for the rest of the night? :confused:

How long would it take for me to get found out and get the boot?

davemclaren

A good pair of rubber wellies is also advised. :cool:

The Old Tolbooth
A good pair of rubber wellies is also advised. :cool:

Your a bit old for kinky stuff like that Dave ;)

On another note, I was watching one of those police programmes tonight and one way they knew someone was growing their own drugs was because the criminal had abnormally high electric bills and so paid him a visit, sure enough there was a load of cannabis plants growing in a spare room under certain conditions.

I'm now turning absolutely every bloody thing off in case I get a drugs bust!!! :eek:

There's a nifty new device coming on the market later this year (or early next year), which will allow you to monitor your energy useage in your property and see when and where it's spiking and varying from the house norm.

Don't worry, i'll tell you's all about it nearer the time, not that i have anything to do with the company.....honest !!!!

;)

doctor jambo

Yep, gas and electric for me now costs ?105ppm direct debit

Totally mind blowing

And we are in a new build, modern insulated house FFS

HAve already switched suppliers twice and then the price just shoots up again

Archived