Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI

footieman

Am thinking about getting a nearly new Golf but my ideal combination of the 2.0 TDI in Match trim seems to be as popular as rocking horse poo, so am left with getting the 1.6 TDI in Match trim or going for the 2.0 in GT trim, which I dont really want to do as it doesnt have most of the options am looking for like DAB radio, cruise control, auto lights/wipers etc.

So I was wondering if any of the good people of JKB has the above car or any other *** car with the 1.6 TDI engine and if so whats it like?

i've heard that the vw 1.6 diesel engines are gutless as they have been tuned like the bluemotion ones but are to advertised as so

I got a new 2.0 tdi match 2 months ago. Im well impressed with it. I took the 1.6 for a test drive and yeah if you want any performance it's a foot to the floor job.

Before hand I had a GT tdi, an to be fair it was a great looking car, the sportiness has left the match as its only got 16in alloys as opposed to 17s on my old GT and a cloth interior as opposed to leather on the GT.

Economy wise the 2.0l wad getting me 65mpg on my commute from uphall to peffermill, but my wife claims I drive like a pensioner.

I bought from inch in Bathgate, blokes name was Scott Brown. And I can honestly say he put me under no pressure to buy.

Get a TSI. It's more fun.

Quite right. Cracking wee engines.

Question for the original poster. Do you need a diesel? Do you do a lot of miles?

Consider a BMW 1 series diesel (I have one) wets over any noisey clattery VW engine and doesn't have a cam belt that needs changing every 60K miles.

Adding to that if you don't fancy a BMW. Honda do a great 2.2 diesel engine in their Civic's and Accord's. 142 BHP I believe. :thumbsup: and 52 to the gallon.

I P Knightley

Am thinking about getting a nearly new Golf but my ideal combination of the 2.0 TDI in Match trim seems to be as popular as rocking horse poo, so am left with getting the 1.6 TDI in Match trim or going for the 2.0 in GT trim, which I dont really want to do as it doesnt have most of the options am looking for like DAB radio, cruise control, auto lights/wipers etc.

So I was wondering if any of the good people of JKB has the above car or any other *** car with the 1.6 TDI engine and if so whats it like?

Has the swear filter starred out the initials of the Volkswagen Audi Group? :biglaugh:

Surely if you're after the 2.0TDi engine but want goodies galore, you could look towards the Skoda equivalent? I'm no huge fan of the V.A.G. cars so not able to share detail but I have a mate who likes his cars and did exactly that switch (VW to Skoda) and hasn't looked back.

One thing I'd never want to do is trade down in performance capability.

TBH i was going to do that, but had sold my car and needed one quick and i couldn't get a Vrs estate for at least 3 months, it could have been so different.

Has the swear filter starred out the initials of the Volkswagen Audi Group? :biglaugh:

Surely if you're after the 2.0TDi engine but want goodies galore, you could look towards the Skoda equivalent? I'm no huge fan of the V.A.G. cars so not able to share detail but I have a mate who likes his cars and did exactly that switch (VW to Skoda) and hasn't looked back.

One thing I'd never want to do is trade down in performance capability.

it doesnt have most of the options am looking for like DAB radio, cruise control, auto lights/wipers etc.

Beats me why anyone would want or need auto lights or/and wipers.

I P Knightley

Very good point - that had by-passed me when I first read the post.

I had a car with auto lights and they bugged the hell out of me. I also had one with auto wipers and, thankfully, I could disable the auto part.

I have a simple system I'm prepared to share with other motorists. When it's dark outside, I use the switch to turn on the lights. When rain drops impair my visibility, I use the other switch to wipe them away.

DAB radio's a good option and cruise control's a reasonable gimmick - though little use on the congested motorways down here in the south.

If you are getting diesel it has to be the 2.0 GT TDI 140 or 170.

Otherwise you will end up with a car like a tractor.

Beats me why they wouldn't. I've had my Golf 4 years and wouldn't buy a car now without at least auto lights.

That said I'm a bit of a dozy bugger and was always forgetting to switch them on & off before I got the Golf.

GT Tdi 140 - superb car

The Old Tolbooth

Adding to that if you don't fancy a BMW. Honda do a great 2.2 diesel engine in their Civic's and Accord's. 142 BHP I believe. :thumbsup: and 52 to the gallon.

I've got the 2.2 Civic and it runs like an absolute dream, I love the car!

I did start looking for a 2.0 Golf though but they were like hens teeth, and of the ones I did locate, they were asking a fortune for them and it was outside of what I was prepared to spend, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Civic to anyone :thumbsup:

Archived