Vidic Out For The Season

Gigolo-Aunt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16079897.stm

Best CB in the PL for me. Potentially, come the end of the season, folk will look back at this moment, With Ferdinand going through up's and down's and Ferguson admitting that he has to pick and chose the games he plays now, it means that Jones will step back in to the middle or United will strengthen in that area come Jan. Cant see United topping City with Johnny Evans in the back line.

Yep looked a bad one at the time. Not sure I'd go with best CB in the PL, think Kompany's took that title off him this year (IMO of course) but you're right about him being a massive miss for United.

This could well see the end of their title challenge, Rio's not got the legs anymore and Evans is average at best. They better hope Jones/Smalling can fit in there quickly or else they could be drifting away come the New Year.

Jones is the next Duncan Edwards/Baresi/Maldini/Beckenbauer so they should be okay for the remainder of the season. :whistling:

It will be an interesting transfer window for them.A couple of midfielders,a striker and a centre back at least needed.Champions league money needed more than ever.Going out of the Champions League might hit his transfer kitty badly next month.

Who is Man Utd's vice-captain?

I'd love to see Fletch take the armband. He's the best option as a strong captain figure.

I thought Smalling looks a player at centre half, but seems to be more favoured at right back recently. If Rafael can get fit again Man U should be OK with Smalling and Jones at centre half, although it's a very, very young pairing to win you the league.

I'm sure Fletcher has captained Man U on the odd occasion, but I think Fergie would give it to Giggs or Evra first. I'm sure Rooney has captained Utd in the past as well over Fletcher, although I'd be picking Fletch anyday over Rooney given his discipline issues.

Vidic is a top defender and has carried Rio these last couple of seasons. Rio has been needed replaced for a few seasons now so might as well dip into the kitty now and get someone in.

Would cost them 30million at least though.

They need a striker as well.

The Mighty Thor

Vidic is a top defender and has carried Rio these last couple of seasons. Rio has been needed replaced for a few seasons now so might as well dip into the kitty now and get someone in.

This.

Ferdinand should stick to sitting in his gaff updating twitter. :thumbsup:

Sergio Garcia

I'd love to see Fletch take the armband. He's the best option as a strong captain figure.

Evra, Ferdinand and then Giggs I think is the order after Vidic

Personally think that Rio and Vidic were a superb pairing that complimented each other well but as soon as one or the other was missing then the weaknesses in both players came to the fore!

Will be interesting to see if Fergie brings in an established CH around 26-27 to form a partnership with Jones!

Also imho the most on form centre half so far this season has also just been ruled out with injury, Steven Taylor at Newcastle!

They could also do with a centre mid. Such a poor spine to the United team these days.

I think man for man, Spurs have a better starting 11 than Man Utd.

If Spurs can go long enough without injuries or suspensions to their big players, I think they're going to be City's biggest challengers this year.

Optimus Prime

Very much this. Vidic has been carrying Rio for years. This is a massive blow for United and although Fergie doesn't like spending in January i feel he may have to dip in a buy somebody. I don't think Jones or Smalling are quite ready yet. Phil Jagielka would fit the bill in my opinion.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Would Ferguson go for Gary Cahill? Been linked with a move away for ages now. Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all interested but this latest setback could see Man United now being interested.

Good with the ball (as is Jones, but he seems to be preferred at right back or in midfield) and has been a regular in the England side recently. Would be a natural replacement for Ferdinand, who is playing less and less games and has plenty EPL experience. Pretty sure he's out of contract soon so he'd be available for around ?10m.

He's a good player for United, but Scotland fans seem to big him up more than they should be.

Rooney, Giggs or Evra would be much better choices and will definately be higher up the pecking order.

Manure in turmoil.

:pleasing: :greggy:

Going further than Lollerpool in Europe and comfortably sitting above them in the league.

As per usual.

:verysmug:

Would Ferguson go for Gary Cahill? Been linked with a move away for ages now. Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all interested but this latest setback could see Man United now being interested.

Good with the ball (as is Jones, but he seems to be preferred at right back or in midfield) and has been a regular in the England side recently. Would be a natural replacement for Ferdinand, who is playing less and less games and has plenty EPL experience. Pretty sure he's out of contract soon so he'd be available for around ?10m.

I'm sure Cahill is out of contract in the summer and would be a good signing for United.

Rio is way past his best and just isn't the defender he was 3 years ago.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I'm sure Cahill is out of contract in the summer and would be a good signing for United.

Rio is way past his best and just isn't the defender he was 3 years ago.

I agree. Cahill is stalling at Bolton I feel and needs a move away asap, looks like he'll get one in January and a bit of a bidding war might commence.

Jones is a player I like but I reckon his best position is midfield as he is good with the ball and likes making a driving run late into the box (see last weeks' goal at Villa). Ferdinand is past his best (was always over-rated imo) and Cahill would be the ideal partner for Vidic when he returns from injury.

I can see Bolton holding on to Cahill for the rest of the season. The 3-4 million (tops) for a player out of contract at the end of the season or keeping a player who will be a big part of if they stay up or get relegated.

Cahill is going on to bigger and better things come the end of the season, that's a given.

Cahill's an ordinary CB and having a poor season by all accounts.

I think Ferguson will try and bring in a defender with experience at the top level, maybe Alex?

Cahill's an ordinary CB and having a poor season by all accounts.

I think Ferguson will try and bring in a defender with experience at the top level, maybe Alex?

alex is a good shout, but could possibly see him moving to arsenal

Hope they do go for Cahill.From what i have seen of him he is nowhere good enough for a top four team.Everton pairing far better.

Going further than Lollerpool in Europe and comfortably sitting above them in the league.

As per usual.

I don't think they went further in Europe, because we didn't enter it. :whistling:

Won't be comfortable for long, all their decent players are injured/out of form, and I expect Wolves to take at least a point tomorrow.

I don't think they went further in Europe, because we didn't enter it. :whistling:

Won't be comfortable for long, all their decent players are injured/out of form, and I expect Wolves to take at least a point tomorrow.

United will finish at least 3 places above Liverpool this season.

United will finish at least 3 places above Liverpool this season.

Correct. Wolves aren't getting anything at OT either.

Man United started the season scoring 3's, 5's and 8's and conceding 2's and 6's.

Then Ferdinand and Vidic have a run in the team together and in 5 league games they scored 5 and conceded 1.

They tightened up the defence (especially after city took 6 off them) but it seemed to affect them in an attacking sense as they scored less goals. Was it not possible to still score lots of goals whilst keeping it tight at the back? Did they change their formation?

With Vidic now out, the smart money would be on Jones dropping back. I think this would keep the defence tight but maybe the partnership will take time to form.

With Hernandez out and Wellbeck coming back from injury, the pressure is on Rooney to rediscover his early season form. Ashley Young was a major part of their early season form (more so than Nani who has been more miss than hit) before he got injured, so i think he will need to get back on his game again as they are not blessed with a Silva/Nasri/Mata type player in the middle of the park to create something from nothing.

I dont think United will concede many now as Ferguson will be haunted by the City drubbing and has made them even harder to break down, but unless they rediscover their early season form (when they seemed to play with a freedom) i think their performances will be more gritty and workmanlike, as opposed to City's free flowing football.

I think it is City's title as they seem to be able to have injuries/rest players and still be able to play in the same manner and will need to lose a few games whilst United win nearly all of theirs.

I think Utd, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea will be fighting for the other places.

Spurs are flying and are playing with no inhibitions with Bale on fire and Lennon coming back onto a game after being out injured. With Defoe and Adebayor they will get goals.

Arsenal are coming/will come good and Chelsea have been getting a bit of unmerited bad press, imo. I think AVB is a good manager and is still finding his feet.

It seems a right good tussle for the champions league places lies ahead. I dont think Liverpool will be a part of though, as they are too hot and cold and look disjointed at times. Suarez, although playing well has not been scoring and with Lucas getting injured i think that weakens them as they have lost the midfield platform to build their attacks.

Correct. Wolves aren't getting anything at OT either.

You probably said Crystal Palace and Newcastle wouldn't get anything either. And you probably didn't think Citeh would ram 6 past them.

Old Trafford isn't the fortress it used to be.

Man United started the season scoring 3's, 5's and 8's and conceding 2's and 6's.

Then Ferdinand and Vidic have a run in the team together and in 5 league games they scored 5 and conceded 1.

They tightened up the defence (especially after city took 6 off them) but it seemed to affect them in an attacking sense as they scored less goals. Was it not possible to still score lots of goals whilst keeping it tight at the back? Did they change their formation?

With Vidic now out, the smart money would be on Jones dropping back. I think this would keep the defence tight but maybe the partnership will take time to form.

With Hernandez out and Wellbeck coming back from injury, the pressure is on Rooney to rediscover his early season form. Ashley Young was a major part of their early season form (more so than Nani who has been more miss than hit) before he got injured, so i think he will need to get back on his game again as they are not blessed with a Silva/Nasri/Mata type player in the middle of the park to create something from nothing.

I dont think United will concede many now as Ferguson will be haunted by the City drubbing and has made them even harder to break down, but unless they rediscover their early season form (when they seemed to play with a freedom) i think their performances will be more gritty and workmanlike, as opposed to City's free flowing football.

I think it is City's title as they seem to be able to have injuries/rest players and still be able to play in the same manner and will need to lose a few games whilst United win nearly all of theirs.

I think Utd, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea will be fighting for the other places.

Spurs are flying and are playing with no inhibitions with Bale on fire and Lennon coming back onto a game after being out injured. With Defoe and Adebayor they will get goals.

Arsenal are coming/will come good and Chelsea have been getting a bit of unmerited bad press, imo. I think AVB is a good manager and is still finding his feet.

It seems a right good tussle for the champions league places lies ahead. I dont think Liverpool will be a part of though, as they are too hot and cold and look disjointed at times. Suarez, although playing well has not been scoring and with Lucas getting injured i think that weakens them as they have lost the midfield platform to build their attacks.

Big chance maybe coming up for Spurs and United.City's next two games are Chelsea away then Arsenal at home.So there are going to be points dropped somewhere in the next two weeks.

Thats followed by a busy Christmas and New Year period.It will be interesting to see how the table will be after that.

United might find the five games in 17 days a bit of a strain on their squad.

You probably said Crystal Palace and Newcastle wouldn't get anything either. And you probably didn't think Citeh would ram 6 past them.

Old Trafford isn't the fortress it used to be.

Palace were playing a weakened United side in a competition they don't give a stuff about: the season when United last became European Champs, Coventry won there in the League Cup FFS!

Newcastle have been in the top six or seven all season, and are very hard to break down. City have world class players and goals all over the park.

Wolves are just mince. It's actually Liverpool who've had trouble beating sides at home (Sunderland, Norwich, Swansea, maybe QPR tomorrow as well); United will have no problems this weekend, though.

Palace were playing a weakened United side in a competition they don't give a stuff about: the season when United last became European Champs, Coventry won there in the League Cup FFS!

Newcastle have been in the top six or seven all season, and are very hard to break down. City have world class players and goals all over the park.

Wolves are just mince. It's actually Liverpool who've had trouble beating sides at home (Sunderland, Norwich, Swansea, maybe QPR tomorrow as well); United will have no problems this weekend, though.

Perhaps, still would expect United to brush Newcastle aside like Citeh did. Just shows the gulf in class of the two teams. United will struggle to get 2nd this season IMO.

FWIW I wouldn't bank on Liverpool or United getting 3 points this weekend. If Wolves make it through the first 20-30 mins and don't concede the crowd will get very angry.

Then big Kev Doyle will do the biz.

Perhaps, still would expect United to brush Newcastle aside like Citeh did. Just shows the gulf in class of the two teams. United will struggle to get 2nd this season IMO.

FWIW I wouldn't bank on Liverpool or United getting 3 points this weekend. If Wolves make it through the first 20-30 mins and don't concede the crowd will get very angry.

Then big Kev Doyle will do the biz.

Do the fans get angry at Old Trafford? They're usually half asleep most of the time.

I do accept that United are struggling for goals, incidentally; that's why I've only got them down for 1-0, but a very comfortable 1-0. QPR, meanwhile, are as unpredictable as any side in the division: who knows whether Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde will show up in their case?

Big chance maybe coming up for Spurs and United.City's next two games are Chelsea away then Arsenal at home.So there are going to be points dropped somewhere in the next two weeks.

Thats followed by a busy Christmas and New Year period.It will be interesting to see how the table will be after that.

United might find the five games in 17 days a bit of a strain on their squad.

They are 2 tough, very interesting games. If they get 4 points out of that they will be happy.

United have a relatively easy next 5 games which, on paper, they should win.

Spurs next 5 games dont look too bad. I think they will get at least a draw at Stoke tomorrow. The Chelsea game on the 22nd should be a cracker!

City, Spurs and Arsenal are the top form teams at the moment (points and goalscoring) with United and Chelsea not far behind. I can see City, Spurs and Arsenal continuing in this vein, barring injuries with Utd and Chelsea picking up their performances.

I cant seem to see past City though, as i cant see them dropping many points.

Do the fans get angry at Old Trafford? They're usually half asleep most of the time.

I do accept that United are struggling for goals, incidentally; that's why I've only got them down for 1-0, but a very comfortable 1-0. QPR, meanwhile, are as unpredictable as any side in the division: who knows whether Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde will show up in their case?

1-0 would be typical. You can guarantee one thing though - Wolves will go for it. I'm gonna go for both teams to score, and realistically, 2-1 United.

:thumbsup:

Archived