Voluntary work on Christmas day

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Not a huge fan of Christmas and this year my folks are away (I'm single) and I can't be arsed going to my brothers as I cant hack a day with his in laws.

Decided this year I want to work in the voluntary sector on Christmas day but I've no idea where to look for a job.

Anyone on Kickback point me in the right direction?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Can you cook ?

Yeah I've worked as a chef in the past

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Homeless charity or any would be ideal.

Other than ringing round Ive no idea where to look

It is good. Get in touch with EVOC http://www.evoc.org.uk/contact-us/

They might be able to help you out.

However, I used to run a soup kitchen in The Grassmarket and it used to really annoy me when people phoned me up at this time of year to volunteer on Christmas day because THEY had nothing better to do, I wasn't there running soup kitchens all year to give them something to do on Christmas day so they could feel good about themselves. On reflection this attitude may have been a bit harsh, but I think there's a valid point in there. Volunteer all year round, a couple of hours a month might not be much to you, but it means a lot to some struggling charities.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

However, I used to run a soup kitchen in The Grassmarket and it used to really annoy me when people phoned me up at this time of year to volunteer on Christmas day because THEY had nothing better to do, I wasn't there running soup kitchens all year to give them something to do on Christmas day so they could feel good about themselves. On reflection this attitude may have been a bit harsh, but I think there's a valid point in there. Volunteer all year round, a couple of hours a month might not be much to you, but it means a lot to some struggling charities.

Possibly more than a little little harsh unless you know every applicants circumstances. I used to volunteer in Dr Bells when I was on the rock and roll, I sit on the board of a charity and I run my own business 10 hours a day 6 days a week

Possibly more than a little little harsh unless you know every applicants circumstances. I used to volunteer in Dr Bells when I was on the rock and roll, I sit on the board of a charity and I run my own business 10 hours a day 6 days a week

I'm sure Deek works with or close to charities/homeless, might be worth sending him a message.

Ouch, don't see you winning many friends with that one Doc! :ermm:

Working fulltime you may be unlikely to be able to give up a few hours at any reasonable time for the charities throughout the year. But during THEIR holidays if they are willing do help a good cause, good on them I say! Whatever their motive ultimately its helping people and the world would be a better place if there was more like them!

Would it annoy you as much if no one bothered to volunteer and you did it on your own?

Your attitude stinks.

Alright, calm doon!

I did start by saying it was good and I gave you a link to follow up, I wasn't having a go at you personally! I just used to really piss me off, like I was there for the benefit of someone who wanted to put in a couple of hours on Xmas day so she could tell all her friends over lunch that she'd given up her Xmas to help the homeless, but what I really needed was someone on a wet Tuesday in February.

Anyway, really not a dig at you, more just a thought for others to consider.

Jericho House (across from Bristo Sq on Forrest Rd) and the Salvation Army were always open on Xmas day, or get in touch with Bethany, they'll have a list of places that are open and will run a soup van themselves.

Think a few are over reacting to The Doc's post.

He did say himself that on reflection it was a little harsh.

He does have a point though.

I'm sure many volunteer because THEY have nothing better to do.

But as BWT said, everyone's circumstances are different.

This really annoys me about SOME charities, you give what you can but they always ask for more.

I'M A BETTER VOLUNTEER THAN YOU ARE.

J Cheever Loophole

Not a huge fan of Christmas and this year my folks are away (I'm single) and I can't be arsed going to my brothers as I cant hack a day with his in laws.

Decided this year I want to work in the voluntary sector on Christmas day but I've no idea where to look for a job.

Anyone on Kickback point me in the right direction?

I would ask around the hospices to see if they need a "visitor"as it's heart-rending to see patients in there who never get a visitor,I've witnessed it first hand,but I just don't have the emotional strength.

Anyway just a thought and much admiration heading your way.

JD

Alright, calm doon!

I did start by saying it was good and I gave you a link to follow up, I wasn't having a go at you personally! I just used to really piss me off, like I was there for the benefit of someone who wanted to put in a couple of hours on Xmas day so she could tell all her friends over lunch that she'd given up her Xmas to help the homeless, but what I really needed was someone on a wet Tuesday in February.

Anyway, really not a dig at you, more just a thought for others to consider.

Jericho House (across from Bristo Sq on Forrest Rd) and the Salvation Army were always open on Xmas day, or get in touch with Bethany, they'll have a list of places that are open and will run a soup van themselves.

That really gets on my tits when people use that term instead of Christmas. I've never went "Keyboard Warrior" before but that's your Boss, and mine I suppose, and I might follow a different path to you, but it's Christmas, not what you typed, nor Festive seasonal greetings, Christmas.

I'm sorry for my rant and I couldn't give a rats arse what other people call it but you and another one 98 pen hero, are not exempt.

Unless youse getting your Nat King isn't the only obvious difference between your lot and my lot?

That really gets on my tits when people use that term instead of Christmas. I've never went "Keyboard Warrior" before but that's your Boss, and mine I suppose, and I might follow a different path to you, but it's Christmas, not what you typed, nor Festive seasonal greetings, Christmas.

I'm sorry for my rant and I couldn't give a rats arse what other people call it but you and another one 98 pen hero, are not exempt.

Unless youse getting your Nat King isn't the only obvious difference between your lot and my lot?

I call it XMas as I don't believe in CHRIST.

Soz man.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

:whistling:

I call it XMas as I don't believe in CHRIST.

Soz man.

See the bit in my post about not giving a rats arse about other people, that's you that is.

If you read the last bit of that it exonerates me completely.

Exonerates? You've not been accused of a crime here!:lol:

Seriously though, I think the last sentence of the point that you say 'exonerates', also says (IMO) there are more things to get worked up about. Its been there longer than people think and its an ancient piece of language that has stuck around.

Plus I thought it would be good to share with others who might not have known where it came from.:thumbsup:

Exonerates? You've not been accused of a crime here!:lol:

Seriously though, I think the last sentence of the point that you say 'exonerates', also says (IMO) there are more things to get worked up about. Its been there longer than people think and its an ancient piece of language that has stuck around.

Plus I thought it would be good to share with others who might not have known where it came from.:thumbsup:

Sorry there should have been a :thumbsup: in all my posts. :thumbsup:

:lol: The Doc HATED not being centre of attention on HIS big day..... The baby Jebus would not appreciate your attitude towards the helpers, he had obviously sent you, through his Fairy wishes.

Would you rather no one Volunteered, on a day they could manage to, Just so you could do the Bread and Fishes routine to impress The Big guy and his laddie upstairs!? :P

:lol: The Doc HATED not being centre of attention on HIS big day..... The baby Jebus would not appreciate your attitude towards the helpers, he had obviously sent you, through his Fairy wishes.

Would you rather no one Volunteered, on a day they could manage to, Just so you could do the Bread and Fishes routine to impress The Big guy and his laddie upstairs!? :P

Get a grip.

"Volunteered on a day they could manage to"? So they're too busy on the other 364 days of the year, but they can find a couple of hours on Xmas day to undertake some altruistic act?

You're not thinking this through. Try a bit harder.

The People's Chimp

You could contact Positive Action in Housing. I got an email shot from them today looking for help over christmas. PM me if you want me to email the stuff over.

Still human, Still Here

WINTER DESTITUTION APPEAL 2011

(Please display and circulate widely)

An urgent appeal for financial donations, food items, warm clothing for children and babies

and volunteers to help provide direct humanitarian relief and protection for destitute and

potentially destitute asylum seekers and their families in Glasgow.

Over the next few weeks, Positive Action in Housing and the Glasgow Destitution Network are working

together to ensure that people who are at risk of destitution have access to basic survival essentials

during the harsh winter period and beyond.

Destitute asylum seekers are forbidden to seek work or access public funds or emergency homeless

accommodation. Many have fallen into long term destitution and are part of Europe?s invisible citizens.

In 2011, Positive Action in Housing?s Lifeline project provided food, shelter and practical support to 303

destitute people, with the help of volunteers. We provided 1,930 nights of emergency shelter (through

hostels and volunteers). We gave out over 998 payments totalling ?29,100. This is a 31% increase

since the previous year. Two thirds of those who sought help were ?additionally vulnerable?. These

include young women under the age of 25, the elderly, families, pregnant women, those with severe

mental or physical health problems, those who have suffered some form of trauma, for example,

torture, rape, domestic violence or sexual exploitation.

Winter Surgery | 10.00 am to 2.00 pm Tuesday 20 December 2011

The Winter Surgery aims to reach as many vulnerable destitute asylum seekers (and their dependents)

as possible in the period before the festive period begins. This surgery is provided in addition to our

regular drop ins on Tuesdays and Fridays (11 am to 1 pm). The Hardship Fund is paid for by large and

small donations from members of the public. The Fund gives crisis payments to asylum seekers who are

destitute/potentially destitute and have no means of financial or other support. We currently give out a

total of ?2000 every month in crisis payments to vulnerable people, including pregnant women, young

people, families, older people and those suffering from severe mental or physical health problems.

On Tuesday, 20th

December, we will be giving out free food packs, warm clothing for children and

babies, hygiene packs, cash support from a Hardship Fund and information packs). We will also provide

hot drinks, soup and bread. Caseworkers will be on hand to offer practical support options and keep

contact afterwards.

We welcome referrals to the Winter Surgery of destitute or potentially destitute asylum seekers and

their dependents. We also welcome referrals of those who are without financial support. Voluntary

organisations, faith groups, health workers, GPs, social work, and others wishing to make referrals for

money, food, shelter or clothes support should email [email protected] . Please state clearly what is

required and how you want us to help. Provide the following details as soon as possible about each

referral: Full names, dates of birth, contact details, nos. in household, current links with referring

organisation or group, additional vulnerabilities, exceptional circumstances and any risk or safety

concerns we should be aware of).

Winter Night Shelter |8.00am to 8.00pm 12 Dec 2011 to 31 March 2012

The Night Shelters will run for destitute asylum seekers, men and women, from December 12th 2011 to

31st March 2012 during the hours of 8 am to 8 pm. The shelters will be managed by the Glasgow

Destitution Network - a network of organisations and individuals working to address the problem of

destitution in Glasgow. The project aims to provide night shelters through 3 different locations to a

maximum of 15 individuals each day of the week. They need volunteers from 8 am to 8 pm to manage

the shelters, sleeping bags, inflatable floor mats and dry foods (see overleaf).Still human, Still Here

WINTER DESTITUTION APPEAL 2011

HOW YOU CAN HELP

Volunteer

We need volunteers to come forward to offer room in their homes for a few days or weeks,

whatever suits you. We also need volunteers to help out at the Winter Surgery.

If you can help, please email [email protected] and we will contact you.

The Night Shelter urgently needs volunteers from 8am to 8 pm to help manage the shelters

between December 12, 2011 and 31st

March 2012. For more information call Brian Cottrell

on 07411766540 or email him at [email protected].

Donate Items

45 Sleeping bags and inflatable floor mats needed for the night shelter

Sealed food items, rice, pasta, sauces, tins of soup (non-meat), chocolate, dry foods like

sugar, tea, coffee, biscuits, jam and spreads.

Toiletries: e.g. toothbrush/toothpaste, men?s shaving products, soap, shampoo, deodorant

etc.

Washed and ironed winter clothes for children and babies (please mark clothes with ages

and whether for boys/girls)

Please drop donations off on any working day (except Monday) between 10 am and 4 pm at

Positive Action in Housing, 98 West George Street, Glasgow G2 1PJ between now and Tuesday

20 December.

Snake Plissken

Doc, normally you seem like a good guy but you're coming across as a bit of an arse on this thread.

The People's Chimp

Get a grip.

"Volunteered on a day they could manage to"? So they're too busy on the other 364 days of the year, but they can find a couple of hours on Xmas day to undertake some altruistic act?

I think you're the one not thinking this through. People have very, very busy lives. If they can give even the slightest bit of their time to help, then that's a good thing, non? Would you rather the likes of BWT just said, "Na, best not bother helping at Christmas, because I know I'll struggle to find the time later in the year..."

Get a grip.

I'm busy 365 days a year Doc... Work at least a 50 hour week, then go home at 5pm, My wife works from 5.30pm - 10pm. I Feed the kids, help with Homework make sure they're bathed (Well my 5 year old, my 13 year old looks after herself) then put the wee man to bed for 8pm read him a story then I have something to eat, shower and watch a little TV. Saturday is Football/Family then out for a few beers with the mates. Sunday I lie in until 9-9.30am make breakfast for everyone, the wife and daughter go to church then I take my daughter to her Drama club in Carluke. Then I have the afternoon to myself when my wife takes my Son to her Mums and she picks my daughter up from Drama club in the evening.

Now I know I'm not alone in this, alot of people have families, alot of people don't have time to Volunteer regularily so surely when they DO get the chance and come on here looking for advice on where and how they can help at a certain time, your attitude of "it bugs ma life when people only want to volunteer a wee bit when it suits them" is a bit OTT, No??

Grip got! :thumbsup:

Slevinkelevra

im looking into doing the same thing,folks are away in florida over christmas and my family are in newcastle and i cant go there as im working boxing day so will be on my todd christmas day,may as well try and do something useful with the day instead of moping around feeling sorry for myself :whistling:

I think you make a decent point. But it is not one that people want to talk about. Personally - I couldn't give a shit - so here I go.

I reckon most [not all] people give to charity to simply make themselves feel better - because they feel guilty as to what they have in life compared to others. I don't see a problem with it. They are making themselves feel better and at the same time others are benefiting. Everyone is a winner. However I just wish more people would be honest about what they are doing and why.

If I give to charity I do it to make myself feel better - as I know I have a pretty cushdy existence. I don't have a problem admitting that. Would be interested to see how many other people are willing to admit this themselves.....

I give things to charity, like DVDs books things that I couldn't sell on e-bay or gumtree... I don't do it to feel good I just cant get any cash for them so i'd rather they went to someone else rather than the bin. I once gave an electric guitar and speaker to charity because i'm not allowed to hoard things...

As for the Doc.. Everyone who has met him knows he is a good guy. A Great guy who does more for the community than nearly everyone else I know.

I can understand his comments, he used to be at the shelter on a daily basis, desperate for help. It didn't matter if it was a nice day or snowing.. he would be there. At his own expense. - Then all of a sudden, 1 day a year he gets 10 or 20 people offering to help. I can see how this would be frustrating. I understand people are busy, I know its not easy.. but from his point of view... its not right..

So lay off him.

As for people wanting to volunteer at Christmas.. If its for the right reasons - DO it.

I have sat on my arse every Christmas for the last 20 odd years and stuffed my face with chipolatas and roast potatoes.

Glad I don't go and help a good cause out now as it saves me from the judging eyes of those who don't think I'm a REEL VOLLUNTEAR. :(

[mickeylove]Only people who volunteer every week come rain or shine can have an opinion, not the armchair philanthropists and part-timers[/mickeylove]

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Contact FreshStart, I used to work for them(homeless charity) and they will point you in the right direction. PM me if you need anymore details.

Here BWT, you're a complete selfish knobber for ONLY volunteering on Christmas day like. Homeless folk won't want to see your friendly face when they've got all those presents to get tore in about.

I'm pretty cool though because I didn't give any money to Children in Need, because I knew it would offend those who donate money every day to charity.

Only on kickback would someone be criticised for wanting to give up their Christmas to make anothers better :facepalm:

Radioactive Mince

Massive over-reactions to Doc's postings here.

ONLY ON JAMBOS CLIQUEBACK :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

:mellow:

Wow, a laddie wants to help out on Christmas and a select few want to shoot him down :(

RSPCA were advertising in and around Edinburgh for volenteers to help out over the Christmas and new year period. If you care for animals that could be another good idea :)

Massive over-reactions to Doc's postings here.

ONLY ON JAMBOS CLIQUEBACK :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

No way !! I have been here barely a month and it is all getting very obvious. Perhaps along with the 'rules' section we can have an 'unwritten rules' section just so all us newbies actually know the score LOL. :lol:

Wow, a laddie wants to help out on Christmas and a select few want to shoot him down :(

RSPCA were advertising in and around Edinburgh for volenteers to help out over the Christmas and new year period. If you care for animals that could be another good idea :)

I don't agree. A few people are just making an observation on specific aspects of this. Fair enough IMO.

Anyway - seems I am the only person on this place who has the balls to admit they do nice things like giving to charity to make themselves feel better. I KNOW I am not the only one. Come on you lot - it will make you feel better to face up to it. No big deal. All ends well - whatever the motivation.

Archived