Aston Villa v Man United

Gigolo-Aunt

Would like this to be on Sky. Think it will be a decent game for a neutral like me.

When was ko?

10 mins ago on ESPN.

Hernandez goes over on his ankle and is being carted off.

With City winning this afternoon, pressure back on United.

United to win though.

You'll probably be right, GA - but I've a sneaking fancy for a draw here. 1-1.

10 mins ago on ESPN.

Hernandez goes over on his ankle and is being carted off.

Ouch. That's the last thing Utd need right now. Keep the updates coming bud.

Can't stand Hernandez - surprised that he was actually injured when he started rolling around. A bit of boy who cries wolf there.

In saying that, hopefully it isn't serious :thumbsup:

Can't stand Hernandez - surprised that he was actually injured when he started rolling around. A bit of boy who cries wolf there.

In saying that, hopefully it isn't serious :thumbsup:

Really can't think of any times Hernandez has went about diving tbh, got any examples?

Ouch. That's the last thing Utd need right now. Keep the updates coming bud.

The play is all in Villa's half. According to the chaps on Gillette Soccer Saturday, Villa in recent times have been happy enough to soak up pressure and break at teams. Problem is for Villa though, United just swoop the ball back on the rare occasions they make it over the half way line.

1-0 United.

United find themselves with space on the left, lovely ball in from Nani and Jones side foots a volley past Given.

Villa's game plan out the window.

1-0 United.

United find themselves with space on the left, lovely ball in from Nani and Jones side foots a volley past Given.

Villa's game plan out the window.

Good stuff. Would like a Utd win to keep the league interesting and test City's bottle too.

2 very good sides despite Utd's recent dip.

This is a dire game of football.

Villa fans looking to be right about McLeish.

No passion in the last 10 of a game.

Even something we managed today.

Been a very poor game really.

A James Collins header brilliantly saved by Lindegaard is the only real moment of interest in the second half.

Besides Welbecks disallowed goal.

That was just like the Swansea v Man U game from a few weeks ago - early Man U goal, and grind out the win. Boring, but effective.

That was just like the Swansea v Man U game from a few weeks ago - early Man U goal, and grind out the win. Boring, but effective.

And their ability to grind out the win (contrary to my prediction, as ever) is why Spurs will find it so tough to finish above them. We've still to see whether Tottenham can routinely win games when not playing well; United have been doing that in their sleep for years, decades even.

As for Villa: where are they going as a football club? For a big club, they look like being a nothing team if Lerner won't pump the cash in - just as they were a nothing team for much of Doug Ellis' last decade in charge too.

And their ability to grind out the win (contrary to my prediction, as ever) is why Spurs will find it so tough to finish above them. We've still to see whether Tottenham can routinely win games when not playing well; United have been doing that in their sleep for years, decades even.

As for Villa: where are they going as a football club? For a big club, they look like being a nothing team if Lerner won't pump the cash in - just as they were a nothing team for much of Doug Ellis' last decade in charge too.

Sean disappointed in Norwich today.That must have been their worst performance this season.No attacking from them.Played it tight all game.I was expecting one of our hardest games this season,instead we got the easiest bar one.Great support though,filled all their end.

Sean disappointed in Norwich today.That must have been their worst performance this season.No attacking from them.Played it tight all game.I was expecting one of our hardest games this season,instead we got the easiest bar one.Great support though,filled all their end.

It was poor benny, I agree. The possession stats at half time must've been eye watering: close to 80-20!

But that we tried to keep things so tight was vindicated by what happened when we opened up and went for it a bit at 2-0 down: cue an absolute thrashing. And in the end, look at how much your squad cost; look at how much ours did. You've got world class players in most positions; we've got Championship players in most of ours.

Today, we got hammered by the world's richest football club. So what? Every game against a top six side is a bonus game for Norwich really: it's all about how we do in the other 26 matches this season. With regard to which, given our defensive issues, that Ruddy isn't quite up to it, and a run-in from hell, it's going to get hairy.

But to put things into perspective: two years ago this weekend, we got knocked out of the FA Cup in the second round... at Carlisle. The progress which has been made since has been extraordinary; and 17th place, should it be achieved, would be amazing.

It was poor benny, I agree. The possession stats at half time must've been eye watering: close to 80-20!

But that we tried to keep things so tight was vindicated by what happened when we opened up and went for it a bit at 2-0 down: cue an absolute thrashing. And in the end, look at how much your squad cost; look at how much ours did. You've got world class players in most positions; we've got Championship players in most of ours.

Today, we got hammered by the world's richest football club. So what? Every game against a top six side is a bonus game for Norwich really: it's all about how we do in the other 26 matches this season. With regard to which, given our defensive issues, that Ruddy isn't quite up to it, and a run-in from hell, it's going to get hairy.

But to put things into perspective: two years ago this weekend, we got knocked out of the FA Cup in the second round... at Carlisle. The progress which has been made since has been extraordinary; and 17th place, should it be achieved, would be amazing.

It was not meant as a dig by the way.I have really enjoyed watching yous this season.

As you said Ruddy not up to it,the 2nd goal was so bad it was lol when they showed it on the screen.Maybe I'm not giving City enough credit for another good performance.Barry,YaYa and Nasri our top men today.Morrison looked useful for Norwich.

It was not meant as a dig by the way.I have really enjoyed watching yous this season.

As you said Ruddy not up to it,the 2nd goal was so bad it was lol when they showed it on the screen.Maybe I'm not giving City enough credit for another good performance.Barry,YaYa and Nasri our top men today.Morrison looked useful for Norwich.

I couldn't work out if City were that good, or Norwich that bad. Must be a weird one for City fans: you've not been a top side long enough for the fans to start taking these sorts of games for granted, but there'll be plenty more games like that at Eastlands this season.

I incurred some ire on a phone-in last week when I suggested Ruddy wasn't good enough; but he isn't. He doesn't dominate the penalty area at all - and the lack of leadership and authority throughout the back line is a major worry.

PS. Yaya is top, top drawer. He impresses me more and more every time I see him play.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16019891.stm

Nice to hear Lambert basically telling the interviewer to be quiet. It's near the end of the clip.

That's Lambert: you'll never catch him out. 5-1 was a bit harsh, by the way - but 3-1 would've been ridiculously flattering. City merited at least a three goal win on the day.

That's Lambert: you'll never catch him out. 5-1 was a bit harsh, by the way - but 3-1 would've been ridiculously flattering. City merited at least a three goal win on the day.

You probably called it right when you said that Norwich pushing on at 2 zip caused more undoing.

Thing is, today was (as Merson would say) a free hit - not expected to get anything. Not one that the staff would look at for potential points.

You probably called it right when you said that Norwich pushing on at 2 zip caused more undoing.

Thing is, today was (as Merson would say) a free hit - not expected to get anything. Not one that the staff would look at for potential points.

Exactly. My concern, though, is that however well we might appear to have started the season, we're actually 2-4 points behind where I think we needed to be. We got a bonus point at Anfield; we won at Bolton, which I certainly didn't expect; but we also drew at home to Stoke, lost at home to West Brom, and drew at home to Blackburn.

Then consider our run-in: in four of our last six, we have Spurs, City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Ouch. It's going to be a very close thing, I suspect.

Exactly. My concern, though, is that however well we might appear to have started the season, we're actually 2-4 points behind where I think we needed to be. We got a bonus point at Anfield; we won at Bolton, which I certainly didn't expect; but we also drew at home to Stoke, lost at home to West Brom, and drew at home to Blackburn.

Then consider our run-in: in four of our last six, we have Spurs, City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Ouch. It's going to be a very close thing, I suspect.

Shaun, staying up is going to be a huge task. We have seen teams make starts that put them right up the table, only to be sucked in.

Would not be looking at the fixture card and adding the 1's and 3's to certain games - just enjoy it.

thumbsup.gif

Archived