European match attendances in Glasgow

mayfield

Celtic and Rangers fans have very strange expectations of their teams' performances in Europe. If they're unsure about qualification to the next round, they simply just don't turn up.

The attendance at Parkhead for the game against Atletico last night(a very winnable fixture for Smeltic) was a disgrace. These glasgow arseholes from both parts go on and on about how they're too good for Scotland, and the tossers won't even come out to watch their teams play in the best competition they'll play in all season. Last season, Rangers fans were throwing their scarves onto the pitch during the Champions league games...wtf!

Total contradictions...just unbelievable.

Celtic and Rangers fans have very strange expectations of their teams' performances in Europe. If they're unsure about qualification to the next round, they simply just don't turn up.

The attendance at Parkhead for the game against Atletico last night(a very winnable fixture for Smeltic) was a disgrace. These glasgow arseholes from both parts go on and on about how they're too good for Scotland, and the tossers won't even come out to watch their teams play in the best competition they'll play in all season. Last season, Rangers fans were throwing their scarves onto the pitch during the Champions league games...wtf!

Total contradictions...just unbelievable.

Fixed that for ye.

Fair point though. The problem with that shower though, is they honestly think the Europa league is akin to the CIS cup. Sellik fhans really do think the champions league is where they belong.

Jog on...

As much as I've no time for either of the OF. 33k is not a bad crowd for this time of year and the game was on telly. Champions league indeed, both the uglies are have a laugh

Guest Dipped Flake

As much as I've no time for either of the OF. 33k is not a bad crowd for this time of year and the game was on telly. Champions league indeed, both the uglies are have a laugh

Agree with this. 33K on a wet and windy November evening, 6pm kick-off and the game on tv. Can't see how we can start a thread slagging of celtic for this?? Plenty other reasons to slag them off though

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Agree with this. 33K on a wet and windy November evening, 6pm kick-off and the game on tv. Can't see how we can start a thread slagging of celtic for this?? Plenty other reasons to slag them off though

I think this as much as anything else would have been a big factor. A lot of people would have had to get away from work early to make it, some people just aren't able to do that.

(Cue all the jokes about Celtic fans being unemployed!)

netherleejambo

I think this as much as anything else would have been a big factor. A lot of people would have had to get away from work early to make it, some people just aren't able to do that.

(Cue all the jokes about Celtic fans being unemployed!)

Not unemployed but working for Glasgow City Council who were on strike yeterday!

33k would fill 50% of EPL grounds!

33k would fill 50% of EPL grounds!

Still its just over 50 per cent of Parheads capacity would you be happy if hearts played to 9000 or so in the Europa League group stages?

Fozzyonthefence

I would expect us to get 33,000 for a group stage game against Atletico Madrid tbh.

No chance if it was live on tv and of course it would have to be at Murrayfield.

Don't think we sold out Tynecastle the last time we played Atleico Madrid in the UEFA Cup, did we?

No chance if it was live on tv and of course it would have to be at Murrayfield.

Don't think we sold out Tynecastle the last time we played Atleico Madrid in the UEFA Cup, did we?

We got approx 28,000 for the Hearts v Schalke group stage game.

Against Athletico Madrid I would expect approx 30,000 if at Murrayfield.

Fozzyonthefence

Like I said, not a chance if live on tv (and the Schalke game wasn't live on tv). It makes a big difference whether it is on tv or not, given that ticket prices for Scottish football are vastly overpriced. Christ, we didn't even sell out for a UEFA Quarter Final against Bayern (and I can't remember if that was live or not, just remember losing my wallet and somebody handing it back to me when Ian Ferguson scored).

Walter Kovacs

Tottenham only managed twenty-six thousand last night. It's just not a particularly glamorous competition. Celtic fans, delusional or not, expect to be competing in the Champions League; the same is true for a club like Tottenham. To get thirty-three thousand through the door on a night like that can't be a bad thing. I don't really see where you're coming from, or what you're bleating about. It'd be like us getting two-thirds capacity for the Intertoto cup which, to us, is a tier below where we'd like Hearts to be in terms of European competition.

Still its just over 50 per cent of Parheads capacity would you be happy if hearts played to 9000 or so in the Europa League group stages?

Yes I would be happy if Hearts played in the Europa League group stage. I would defo watch it on the telly. thumbsup.gif

No chance with a 6pm kick off.Work commitments would have a huge impact on our attendance.

No chance with a 6pm kick off.Work commitments would have a huge impact on our attendance.

So at least 33,000 Celtic fans don't work (or didn't work yesterday) but can still afford to go to European ties.

:ermm:

You sure about that?

I've heard that said too. How much were the terracing tickets for the Bayern Munich game ? I remember at the time a few people being unhappy about the price increase for that one game.

Back in the day when the old firm weren't guaranteed to win everything their attendances were shocking,i have been to both grounds when there were barely 10k of them.If we ever get back to a day when the rest of us can start taking trophies away from them i have no doubt that the glory hunters would crawl back into their holes.

I've heard that said too. How much were the terracing tickets for the Bayern Munich game ? I remember at the time a few people being unhappy about the price increase for that one game.

My ticket was ?10.

There was a deal on tickets from other matches, maybe previous rounds or some home matches leading up to it, if you had ticket stubs you could get your Bayern ticket for less than ?10.

I was working away from home during the week, so couldn't get into the ticket office, though I had all the stubbs, so I never got my discount.

I saw Mercer outside and let him know I wasn't amused :angry:

:lol:

My ticket was ?10.

There was a deal on tickets from other matches, maybe previous rounds or some home matches leading up to it, if you had ticket stubs you could get your Bayern ticket for less than ?10.

I was working away from home during the week, so couldn't get into the ticket office, though I had all the stubbs, so I never got my discount.

I saw Mercer outside and let him know I wasn't amused :angry:

:lol:

Aye,paid a tenner also.No matter what the stats say(think its down as 26,500 or thereabouts)there was no space in Tynecastle that night....it was packed!

Aye,paid a tenner also.No matter what the stats say(think its down as 26,500 or thereabouts)there was no space in Tynecastle that night....it was packed!

It was packed but it did not sell out.It was not live on UK tv but did we not get into trouble showing it abroad.

It was packed but it did not sell out.It was not live on UK tv but did we not get into trouble showing it abroad.

I'll need to take your word for that,Benny.If i remember right the official capacity at that time was 29,000 and going on what i could see there was no spaces anywhere.Started off at the School end and finished up at the benches in the shed.Crazy but fantastic night.

there's no way we would get the shalke / athens type crowds now.

the shalke game was a big event as it was our first ever european group stages game, plus shalke brought a good three or four thousand.

the athens game was a final qualifier for the CL group stages, a massive event. plus we were still very hopeful that we were going places off the back of the '06 season.

i reckon another EL group stage game against the likes of shalke or atletico at murrayfield would have a crowd of about 22,000 tops.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Lolz.

Parochial pish. Never mind life, there's more to football than finding something so trivial to beat your rivals with. 33,000 is decent. If it had been 60,000 there'd have been a thread on here berating them for taking a wee cup so seriously. :woot:

I'll need to take your word for that,Benny.If i remember right the official capacity at that time was 29,000 and going on what i could see there was no spaces anywhere.Started off at the School end and finished up at the benches in the shed.Crazy but fantastic night.

My first ever game on the terracing rather than the family enclosure, never felt so crushed yet safe all at the same time!

It was packed out that night, that's for sure!!!

there's no way we would get the shalke / athens type crowds now.

the shalke game was a big event as it was our first ever european group stages game, plus shalke brought a good three or four thousand.

the athens game was a final qualifier for the CL group stages, a massive event. plus we were still very hopeful that we were going places off the back of the '06 season.

i reckon another EL group stage game against the likes of shalke or atletico at murrayfield would have a crowd of about 22,000 tops.

Some interesting posts on this thread that suggests to me that all in all celtic fans are not the loyal (excuse the pun) fans that they say they are but a bunch of glory hunters.

Celtic managed about 50% capacity last night.

Hearts would be able to attract a crowd of 120% of Tynecastle capacity at the egg chasers ground.

Or we couldn't even fill Tynecastle against Bayern but dropped to 90% capacity.

I dream of the day that we would only attract 50% capacity at Tynecastle for a pretty glamorous European game. How glory hunter-ish would that be.

The % (of Tynecastle capacity) of jambos that continually turn up to watch Hearts with the lack of silverware over the years is a testament to how loyal our support actually is. Those who attend are a credit to themselves the club and scottish football and congratulations to all of you.

Like I said, not a chance if live on tv (and the Schalke game wasn't live on tv). It makes a big difference whether it is on tv or not, given that ticket prices for Scottish football are vastly overpriced. Christ, we didn't even sell out for a UEFA Quarter Final against Bayern (and I can't remember if that was live or not, just remember losing my wallet and somebody handing it back to me when Ian Ferguson scored).

The Schalke game was live on TV, it was the Ferncvaros match that wasnt!!!

Bayern game wasn't sold out, though wasn't far off. It was fairly packed, but I've been in bigger crowds at Tynie, including an under 16 game thumbsup.gif

Bayern game wasn't sold out, though wasn't far off. It was fairly packed, but I've been in bigger crowds at Tynie, including an under 16 game thumbsup.gif

If so, only because of the price of the tickets (I paid up btw), but then European quarter finals don't come along very often.

If so, only because of the price of the tickets (I paid up btw), but then European quarter finals don't come along very often.

Very true!!!!

I also queued in the pissing rain on a Sunday morning for my ticket, well worth it then and would do it all again now.

As said above, Bayern tickets were ?10. Season ticket holders paid ?7, but there were far fewer of them before Tynecastle was all seated. Vouchers were handed out at 3 previous home games; 3 vouchers got you a ticket for ?7.

There was a controversy because it was ?3 off for 3 vouchers, but having only 1 or 2 vouchers got you nothing. Many had assumed that it would be ?1 per voucher; I knew a regular attender who'd missed one of the voucher games and refused to go to the Bayern game when asked to pay ?10 rather than ?8.

Archived