Hard Lines Newcastle

H2

Newcastle appear to have had little luck today against Man U. 23 attempts at goal to MU's 8. Apparently Newcastle managed to get one decision in their favour today, and Fergie is winging about it, and he tries to infer more Newcastle players should have been sent off. Last week he walks out a press conference because he can't answer a question about struggling.

However Newcastle are looking a good side, doubt they'll catch Man C but maybe a hope for 2nd?

Walter Bishop

:cornette:

Man Utd 53% Newcastle 47%

Attempts on target

Man Utd 13 Newcastle 6

Attempts off target

Man Utd 10 Newcastle 2

Corners

Man Utd 11 Newcastle 3

Fouls

Man Utd 12 Newcastle 15

As a United fan i'm pretty dissapointed with the way things are going. We have a young promising squad but the players are still some way off of carrying us forward into a new era. But as ever Fergie knows best and I'm sure he'll get us back to top guns. Pretty pissed off that he didn't make the first sub til the 88th minute though. Credit to Newcastle though they really are a dark horse this season. I was hoping they didn't take too much heart from the defeat to City as is the case with a lot of teams who have good starts so it's a great way to bounce back. But, even in the City game Newcastle deserved something. Could you just imagine if they had 1 more quality striker.

Gotta be honest I don't like Newcastle. But then again I don't have feelings for any English team. I'll watch the games but I'm just not bothered who wins them

Newcastle appear to have had little luck today against Man U. 23 attempts at goal to MU's 8. Apparently Newcastle managed to get one decision in their favour today, and Fergie is winging about it, and he tries to infer more Newcastle players should have been sent off. Last week he walks out a press conference because he can't answer a question about struggling.

However Newcastle are looking a good side, doubt they'll catch Man C but maybe a hope for 2nd?

troll+face.jpg

As a United fan

There were two Uniteds playing today.

It really pisses me off when Manchester assume they have divine right to the appellation.

Attempts on target

Man Utd 13 Newcastle 6

Attempts off target

Man Utd 10 Newcastle 2

Corners

Man Utd 11 Newcastle 3

Fouls

Man Utd 12 Newcastle 15

Oops I got it the wrong way round. the BBC have Newcastle in Red and MU in Grey.

It really pisses me off when Manchester assume they have divine right to the appellation.

I might agree if I knew what appellation meant :unsure:

Seymour M Hersh

Attempts on target

Man Utd 13 Newcastle 6

Attempts off target

Man Utd 10 Newcastle 2

Corners

Man Utd 11 Newcastle 3

Fouls

Man Utd 12 Newcastle 15

Goals Manure 1 Bar Codes 1

What was your point?

Gotta be honest I don't like Newcastle. But then again I don't have feelings for any English team. I'll watch the games but I'm just not bothered who wins them

Cracking contribution to a thread on English football.

I might agree if I knew what appellation meant :unsure:

they're mountains dummy

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Appalachian_Mountains

Except that if you say Newcastle it can only be one team, if you say Manchester it could be one of two.

Given what he went on to say, you clearly identified that he was referring to Manchester United rather than Newcastle United so where is the problem?

Newcastle United are not known as United even in Newcastle.

:huh:

The Old Tolbooth

Fergie is a bitter twisted man who throws every trick in the book at the officials to try to gain an advantage, and it normally works, however he is also the master at what he does and there is no one better in the game, and he deserves credit for the way he does it, I'd love it if a manager of Liverpool was doing the same.

I wish to feck the auld bacon faced tosser would retire!

they're mountains dummy

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Appalachian_Mountains

hmmm, with a different spelling .... nothing to do a French translation ?

Newcastle United are not known as United even in Newcastle.

:huh:

Yes they are. :rolleyes:

Jam Tarts 1874

If the same decision had been made against Hearts we would all be screaming about it. Fergie is quite right to be angry about the linesman giving the penalty as the referee was much nearer to the tackle and initially gave a corner.

Yes they are. :rolleyes:

No they're not.

I've heard them called Newastle (said in the way only Geordies can),Toon, the lads and the magpies but never have I heard them referred to as simply United.

At the Newcastle v United game last season only one set of fans sang United and it wasn't Newcastle's.

Another point about Newcastle.. they have brought in a lot of French players.. I reckon its a good idea because French players aren't known for spending their spare time either in night clubs or drinking..

Its a pity we couldn't get our youth teams to see how much it benefits your game staying clear of alcohol.. Their careers will be over by 35 latest which still leaves them 50 years to drink as much as they want..

Hernandez goal was also onside having just watched it

I thought he was onside when the origional ball was played, but it looked like another Man U player got a touch before he did which put him in an offside position.

I thought he was onside when the origional ball was played, but it looked like another Man U player got a touch before he did which put him in an offside position.

Correct! Carrick got a touch thus putting him in an offside position. If no touch would have been onside and thus a goal.

I don't feel we have the right to use it more than anyone else does, but the difference is Manchester United are the only on of the United's affectionately called that, as are Man City called City. Newcastle are more affectiontely known as Toon or Magpies and then Leeds usually just call themselves Leeds as they hate Man Utd so wouldn't want to call themselves United.

Cringe-tastic

#Whats cringeworthy about that? :mellow:

Hearts website. Calling one of the biggest clubs it the world (not hearts) "we". Ridic man.

kingantti1874

Correct! Carrick got a touch thus putting him in an offside position. If no touch would have been onside and thus a goal.

Never spotted that -

Hearts website. Calling one of the biggest clubs it the world (not hearts) "we". Ridic man.

I wouldn't refer to them as they though.

No they're not.

I've heard them called Newastle (said in the way only Geordies can),Toon, the lads and the magpies but never have I heard them referred to as simply United.

At the Newcastle v United game last season only one set of fans sang United and it wasn't Newcastle's.

Yes they are. I live and work on Tyneside (for one of the local papers - in my first week I was sub-editing a Man Utd story and put "United" in the headline. It was sent back to me with the boss saying: "Re-word that heading as there's only one United as far as this area is concerned"). Plus various trips to St James and hearing the Newcastle supporters chant "United" do confirm to me that as well as "Toon", "Magpies", "New-cassel" (their pronunciation) etc, their fans also refer to their team by "United" as well.

Yes they are. I live and work on Tyneside (for one of the local papers - in my first week I was sub-editing a Man Utd story and put "United" in the headline. It was sent back to me with the boss saying: "Re-word that heading as there's only one United as far as this area is concerned"). Plus various trips to St James and hearing the Newcastle supporters chant "United" do confirm to me that as well as "Toon", "Magpies", "New-cassel" (their pronunciation) etc, their fans also refer to their team by "United" as well.

I have honestly never heard a Newcastle fan refer to themselves as United, nor have I heard them chant it. I will listen for this in future though. My boss is a Geordie, if I remember I'll ask him. New-cassel is what I would have said is what the vast majority call themselves.

Edit: Just spoke to a Toon fan mate of mine who has been to Newcastle games not involving the real United, who has also heard this United chant so I sit here corrected!

I don't feel we have the right to use it more than anyone else does,

My mini-rant wasn't aimed specifically at your good self - more the media who will refer to Manchester United as 'United' in games involving West Ham, Sheffield, Newcastle...

My mini-rant wasn't aimed specifically at your good self - more the media who will refer to Manchester United as 'United' in games involving West Ham, Sheffield, Newcastle...

Ah, I see. Yeah I agree with you there about the media referring to us as United.

I don't think the media have ever referred to Hearts as united. Probably because that's not OUR name.

"us"

I have honestly never heard a Newcastle fan refer to themselves as United, nor have I heard them chant it. I will listen for this in future though. My boss is a Geordie, if I remember I'll ask him. New-cassel is what I would have said is what the vast majority call themselves.

Edit: Just spoke to a Toon fan mate of mine who has been to Newcastle games not involving the real United, who has also heard this United chant so I sit here corrected!

That's all right. Sorry to be ultra-pedantic, but Newcastle were the first of the two clubs to use "United" (1892). The Manchester variety started using it in 1902 after changing their name from Newton Heath.

I don't think the media have ever referred to Hearts as united. Probably because that's not OUR name.

"us"

No I was referring to Man United as us as they are considered my 2nd team. And before you start with all the 'I bet you haven't been to Old Trafford' pa lava, I admit I haven't been so I can't call myself a supporter rather more of a fan, but I still call them us, we etc.

Newcastle were the first team to use united as the team was created from two different teams in Newcastle "uniting" to form one team.

Newton Heath, as far as I'm aware, only used united because they must have thought it sounded good. It's always been about the branding for those lads.

Don't you mean "Suffix" as opposed to "Appelation"?

RoussetsShorts

As a United fan i'm pretty dissapointed with the way things are going. We have a young promising squad but the players are still some way off of carrying us forward into a new era. But as ever Fergie knows best and I'm sure he'll get us back to top guns. Pretty pissed off that he didn't make the first sub til the 88th minute though. Credit to Newcastle though they really are a dark horse this season. I was hoping they didn't take too much heart from the defeat to City as is the case with a lot of teams who have good starts so it's a great way to bounce back. But, even in the City game Newcastle deserved something. Could you just imagine if they had 1 more quality striker.

:vrface: :vrface:

Taxi for H2!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Newcastle were the first team to use united as the team was created from two different teams in Newcastle "uniting" to form one team.

Newton Heath, as far as I'm aware, only used united because they must have thought it sounded good. It's always been about the branding for those lads.

Actually it was because Newton Heath were going bust and were saved by captain Harry Stafford's St Bernard dog. The new owner wanted to rename the team which, as legend would have it, was suggested by Louis Rocca, the man who lined up Matt Bushy as manager.

Archived