7 Years Ago Tonight

BM1874

St. Jakob Park, Basel, Switzerland.

It's crazy that seven years have passed since that wonderful night in Basel.

feels like yesterday being on the tram system, eating bratwurst and drinking beer in the german style market, getting lost in the shopping centre next to the stadium, of course derailing the trams, seeing swiss fans trying to fight hearts fans on an inner city tram(just 1 but it came to nothing) and being kept waiting for hours on a boiling hot bus at the airport when leaving, of course theres the small matter of wyness and neilson's goals. what a night!

Whats everyones memories of the trip?

feels like yesterday being on the tram system, eating bratwurst and drinking beer in the german style market, getting lost in the shopping centre next to the stadium, of course derailing the trams, seeing swiss fans trying to fight hearts fans on an inner city tram(just 1 but it came to nothing) and being kept waiting for hours on a boiling hot bus at the airport when leaving, of course theres the small matter of wyness and neilson's goals. what a night!

Best part of the trip apart from the result was rocking the tram off its rails. :thumbsup:

That was 1 busy tram.

Really cold night though. Brilliant.

Only 6 years ago though.

Best part of the trip apart from the result was rocking the tram off its rails. :thumbsup:

That was 1 busy tram.

Really cold night though. Brilliant.

Only 6 years ago though.

Defo 7 years. I have a very good reason for knowing this :interesting:

7 years and tomorrow - 25/11/04

Just so everyone is aware, i know the date was 25.11.04 but it was a thursday night...hence the 7 years tonight.

keep the memorys and photos coming.

bm

Brilliant night,

two guys in the hotel bar singing hearts songs down the phone to their mates back homes.

Guys in the next room singing we've got Robbie Robbie neilson on the wing at 3 in the morning.

The waiters face when we ordered chips with our Rosti .

Great few days in a beautiful city

loveofthegame

I cannot believe that was 7 years ago! That is mind boggling. Feels like only 2 or 3 years ago. What a fantastic trip - the bits i remember anyway...

Good times.

Went over with my dad and an hour before kick off he vanished. I figured he just went into the ground so I headed in but no sign of him. Then at halftime down walks my dad with some beer I asked him where you been? He pointed over to the Basel fans and says he got talking to some outside the ground and somehow got in their end right next to that banner they had for us. Brilliant night and I'm in one of the London hearts pics on their site just behind three of them in rio's bar I think it was where the 2 Swiss boys bought every hearts fan in there drinks

Worst bit about the trip was having to share our Frankfurt flight with 60 Mhanks heading for Barcelona.

That was soon forgotten when we got to Basel though, 3 days of bevvy, singing and eating crepes in the winter market,piano bar singalongs ,Bar Rio, Pickwicks (?)and celebrating a famous win on a baltic night with just a t-shirt on.

One of the best trips ever :thumbsup:

Two years ago I was in Basel and I met two Swiss guys who had Hearts caps on, I was also there 7 years ago ... (going back in 2 weeks).

Twisting ankle as I charged towards pitch at 1-0, huge sing song in enormous pub after match, arranging to come back to an Italian restaurant to pin up Hearts scarf should we win, going back to said restaurant next day. Oh, & ?50 to win at 5/1. Magic

I can't believe it's been 7 years.

It was a tremendous end to the 2004 European Tour. Several bottles of cheap beer in the street before hopping on (and quickly off) derailed trams before eventually getting to the St Jakob Stadium. Just catching Dennis Wyness' shot creeping into the corner past Ramon Pereira, and seeing Robbo leap onto the pitch. Craig Gordon made some great saves that night as well.

And then Robbie Neilson made the unseen run into the box.

All I can remember from that was Stamp just missing a header at the near post, and the ball flying through a ruck of bodies into the net. In amongst the chaos, the scoreboard read '12 - Neilson', much to our delerium and disbelief. At full time, me and my mates climbed the segregation fence to sit on top and get the chants on the go. Then it was off into town, via more derailed trams for a great party.

Those memories geniunely bring a tear to my eye - a truly great night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcpZGPEAkIs&list=FLX7aNjLeZv9G_g6fC4004qg&index=17&feature=plpp_video

Wow, can't believe that was 7 years ago. Makes me feel old!

I had a CD of all the Hearts songs and took it into this wee empty corner pub after the match. The guy put the CD on and in no time the place was heaving with Hearts fans.

He must have made a killing.

Are there other highlights anywhere?

Wow, can't believe that was 7 years ago. Makes me feel old!

I had a CD of all the Hearts songs and took it into this wee empty corner pub after the match. The guy put the CD on and in no time the place was heaving with Hearts fans.

He must have made a killing.

Are there other highlights anywhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUNPVqX-qoo&feature=related

Can't believe that's 7 years ago. Remember watching it in the Orwell Lodge and basically getting drenched in beer when super Robbie burst the net. Great times. And a fantastic victory given Basel's home record in Europe at the time. I think other than us, only Man Utd went there and managed to win over the space of something like 5 or 6 years with the likes of Inter and Valencia failing to do so.

scott herbertson

I'm just glad that Davy didn't take a picture of me making a complete arse of myself asI usually do on european trips -.....unless......

Problem Officer?

BBC Scotland/Sky etc didnt even bother showing that game had to listen to it on the radio!

Was all set for going but was only a student at the time and Braga had left me pretty skint!

Hearts just shared the match report via Facebook

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20041125/basle-1-hearts-2_2241469_28803

The comments about Neilson on Facebook.. :cornette: :Vlad-Stupid:

Everyone knows, just shut the **** up about it.

Anyway, I can't believe this is seven years ago, I would have still been in first year. :wow:

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

The comments about Neilson on Facebook.. :cornette: :Vlad-Stupid:

some of the comments from Hearts fans on Facebook make JKB look like an intellectual hub of football related internet banter

BBC Scotland/Sky etc didnt even bother showing that game had to listen to it on the radio!

Was all set for going but was only a student at the time and Braga had left me pretty skint!

Hearts just shared the match report via Facebook

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20041125/basle-1-hearts-2_2241469_28803

I was the same - had been to braga and then started university, so feyenoord and basel were the first trips i missed for a while. I had only been at uni about 5-6 weeks, and was sitting in my room listening to it on the radio. When robbie scored it's safe to say i went absolutely bananas. The chinese girl in the room next to me never spoke to me again after that, and another person in my halls thought i'd been attacked! :thumbsup:

I was the same - had been to braga and then started university, so feyenoord and basel were the first trips i missed for a while. I had only been at uni about 5-6 weeks

I had been at Uni for that long as well - I spent a chunk of my student loan on the Feyenoord and Basel trips! It's only recent years that I've no been abl to afford the trips - the last away trip in Europe was Prague in 2006.

Noise of the fans in town centre pre match will live with me forever.

Lombardia Hearts huge banner hanging from a pub window.

The cold. The cold. The cold.

Beer stalls outside the stadium.

Chilled out polis, no aggro.

Lad from Manc Hearts trying to smuggle his camera under his kilt into the ground.

Severe hangover next day - and mulled wine at breakfast. Best trip ever.

I went to Basle on the Infamous ' godsajambo' bus trips :woot: had done Feyenoord with the guy and thought why not, cheep and cheerful

My only negative was when he told all on the bus that he had been let down by numbers and was ?500 light, we would all have to cough up a score, there was 33 on the bus :down:

That aside, cracking time, a Jambo told me prior that if we scored he was on the pitch, we scored, he did :thumbsup:

Colonel Kurtz

One of the best trips I have been on with hearts. The pitch invasion after the first goal was excellent.

In a restaurant near the centre with a bunch of Von Trapp Hearts who sang for hours..a table across from us with diners who looked like the villians in The Boys from Brazil..they sent us over bottles of wine.

sing song On the club flight home

loveofthegame

Great trip. Great night.

Coldest I've ever been in my life though.

Ever.

Not drunk enough IMHO FWIW....

I couldn't have told you it was cold!

anyone else in the Ettrick for this? tables, chairs and bodies flying everywhere.

fantastic scenes!

Aye, I was there.

portobellojambo1

Great trip. Great night.

Coldest I've ever been in my life though.

Ever.

It was like a mild autumn evening in comparison with the game in Vienna CTC, now that was a truly freezing cold night, which is why many fans spent more time in the loo, which was the only place with a heater, than watching the game.

lost in leith

Boozers were rammed pre game so drinking in the street was the only option for many. Still tease a poster on here who fought his way into a supermarket and returned triumphantly with a crate of lager for him and his mates, only to be sent back with a request to "buy some with alcohol in it this time ya numpty" :rolleyes:

Great trip!

I do remember there being a bit of a scrap not long after our first goal, at the very back of the Hearts end between our own fans? Beside the Livi Hearts banner.

Anyine know what that was about?

Nucky Thompson

I think we've been the only British team to beat them over there unless someone else has done it recently

I think we've been the only British team to beat them over there unless someone else has done it recently

Newcastle beat them 3-2 the season before in Basle

Sergio Garcia

Was at Uni at the time in Stirling and managed to get the Sports bar to show it for us. I was suffering heavily from the flu and was ridiculed for bringing down lemsip and asking the barstaff to give me a cup of hot water.n The energy I used cheering Robbies goal left me floored for the next 10 mins. Worth it though even the ridicule for the next few weeks every time I went in for a pint.

Defo 7 years. I have a very good reason for knowing this :interesting:

I was convinced it was 2005.

Time flies eh? :lol:

Another memory was meeting Newcastle fans who were playing a French team the night before.

Also how clean Basel was. :thumbsup:

Archived