Classic Brutal Game versus Currant Buns

heartgarfunkel

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ula8a0fomFM

Apologies if posted before but as a boy of 18 I loved this one. Robbo's back. Don't ###### about on your own goal line Gough.

Remember the game well, partly because I was in the players lounge afterwards.

Iain Ferguson gets an easy second goal for Hearts IIRC. (Haven't watched it back again yet)

We always got that cheating James Hunt Syme back then when we played the Old Firm.

Syme tried hard but, unlike the Celtic Cup game, when he sent McLaren off early doors, he couldn't get the result he wanted.

Those were the days!!!

Remember that game well!

Blood and thunder -

Terracings -

and value for money!!!

How I miss that!

black gets booked eh? no much changes in 23 years :whistling:

anyway thanks for posting that vid, ive not seen it before, i was 1 year old in 1988

Remember this one well - watched it from the confines of the Family Enclosure with my Dad. To an eleven-year-old, Robbo returning seemed like one of the greatest things in the history of mankind.

It was a really good win over a Rangers team packed with internationals (and a fat Andy Gray).

Great line from Archie MacPherson about Davie Syme's face. "He was an extra in MacBeth you know..."

Compare Archie to the commentators we have now - it's like night and day. How did we get from him, Jock Brown and Arthur Montford to Liam Macleod et al?

We always got that cheating James Hunt Syme back then when we played the Old Firm.

But..But Syme wasn't from glasgow he was from rutherglen - as announced at the start of the highlights,just like K Clarke was from clarkston not Glasgow..aye righty oh <_< <_<

J Cheever Loophole

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ula8a0fomFM

Apologies if posted before but as a boy of 18 I loved this one. Robbo's back. Don't ###### about on your own goal line Gough.

I watched the game from my usual spot ,under the 2nd light from the right,in the Shed.

Thanks for posting the vid mate.It reminded me of how exciting the game used to be and how much of a cheating welt Syme was/is.

It is genuinely gutting that football will never be like that again. I loved those days, and would gladly go back to that stadium, those crowds, and the passion from the players in playing for the jersey.

Great line from Archie MacPherson about Davie Syme's face. "He was an extra in MacBeth you know..."

Compare Archie to the commentators we have now - it's like night and day. How did we get from him, Jock Brown and Arthur Montford to Liam Macleod et al?

:blink::ninja: Jock Brown was horrendous. Agree with you about the current crop, though.

Some 'industrial' tackles!

Couple of superb examples between 20:04 & 20:09... first Robbo tries to scythe down John Brown :thumbsup:, then Big Davie goes waaaaayyyy over the top on Wilkins! :) (And neither punished by Slyme either... :o) Good work lads. :woot:

Syme tried hard but, unlike the Celtic Cup game, when he sent McLaren off early doors, he couldn't get the result he wanted.

Those were the days!!!

Remember that game well!

Blood and thunder -

Terracings -

and value for money!!!

How I miss that!

Spot on mate!

Those were the days!!!

Remember that game well!

Blood and thunder -

Terracings -

and value for money!!!

How I miss that!

true, the atmophere was electric for that game. Its funny, its a game i always seem to remember. Maybe because of Robbos return.

Still think Mike Galloway was unfortunate to be sent off. Gough only had himself to blame!

And had that incident been a Gough challenge on Galloway? :ninja:

It was a stupid decision from Galloway. If you look at it again, Gough is shaping up to boot the ball towards the Wheatfield stand. Galloway should have taken a chance and flung himself towards the space on Gough's left. The ball might have hit him and gone in giving us all a big laugh at the silly Weegie's ******-up.

And had that incident been a Gough challenge on Galloway? :ninja:

It was a stupid decision from Galloway. If you look at it again, Gough is shaping up to boot the ball towards the Wheatfield stand. Galloway should have taken a chance and flung himself towards the space on Gough's left. The ball might have hit him and gone in giving us all a big laugh at the silly Weegie's ******-up.

Showing your age there DC :whistling:

Were you down with us the earlier in the year to see him (or not as the case was that day) at St James' Park ? Either way, cheers to the memories.

Drylaw Hearts

Imagine what the Hearts team would do to the current team.

Iain Ferguson would easily be our top goalscoring forward today - thats how bad we are up front.

Iain Ferguson would easily be our top goalscoring forward today - thats how bad we are up front.

How many players in our current team would even get in that team? I cant think of one.

I was 16 and remember it well, I miss those days. Just think what might have happened had it been Brines refereeing that day. Great crowd I feel sorry for the younger ones who never got to experience Tynecastle (or any ground for that matter) pre Bosman.

Fantastic!! Thanks for posting this. thumbsup.gif

Remember it well as it was the return of Robbo, what a game.

Even saw a "young" graygo behind the goals going barmy. laugh.gif

Those were the days!!!

Remember that game well!

Blood and thunder -

Terracings -

and value for money!!!

How I miss that!

Sums it up perfectly. thumbsup.gif

I think the Celtic game was 24th March 1989, Alan was at my wedding reception that night and my best man got into a wee bit of bother defending him from some clowns giving him stick. laugh.gif

Edit: looks like it might have been the previous week.

Really does mean a lot to watch this game.

It reminds you that we are all god's children and this is why we were placed here.

The terraces.

The singing.

The passion.

The hatred of the ugly sisters.

The knowledge that we are better than them.

Any rich Arabs or Russians should watch this and re-calculate the ethical return on the ?40 million investment.

Scotland would be a cleaner place if it had a stronger Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Fact. End of.

Deodato

The Old Tolbooth

Those were the days!!!

Remember that game well!

Blood and thunder -

Terracings -

and value for money!!!

How I miss that!

You never see football like that these days, I miss it!

*Sigh* :(

The Old Tolbooth

Fantastic!! Thanks for posting this. thumbsup.gif

Remember it well as it was the return of Robbo, what a game.

Even saw a "young" graygo behind the goals going barmy. laugh.gif

There's an even younger JM at the pie stand at half time, some things never change! :lol:

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Archie McPherson blowing some pish about a guy having a half time cup of tea even though he's clearly got a can in his hand :lol:

Living in England back then, watching it on Ceefax was murder :lol:

heartgarfunkel

Were you down with us the earlier in the year to see him (or not as the case was that day) at St James' Park ? Either way, cheers to the memories.

Missed that one G, hope you're all well up in Pond. FTH.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Funny how certain games stick in your head. Aside from the goals and Galloway's challenge, I remembered daft things from the highlights like Cooper spinning round to show his shirt number when he gets booked and the folk watching from the flats. Free season ticket or what?

The Old Tolbooth

There always seemed to be an opposition coloured scarf hanging out of one of the windows in the flats behind the goal back then, my theory is that it was a bitter Hibby who had a scarf of every team in Scotland and flew the appropriate one on the day! :D

Despite the fact that we won nothing more than the Tennents Sixes, weren't the Alex MacDonald years great?

This was how I remember ging to Tynecastle.

I had only had my season ticket for 2 seasons at this point but I recall how I felt when wee Robbo returned. Like others, I felt like life was just perfect in that one moment.

Of course, he never let us down.

:thumbsup:

Funny how certain games stick in your head. Aside from the goals and Galloway's challenge, I remembered daft things from the highlights like Cooper spinning round to show his shirt number when he gets booked and the folk watching from the flats. Free season ticket or what?

Daft rumour number one: Somebody once told me (rightly or wrongly) that those residents paid a wee bit extra on their poll/council tax for the means to watch footy outwith the ground.

There always seemed to be an opposition coloured scarf hanging out of one of the windows in the flats behind the goal back then, my theory is that it was a bitter Hibby who had a scarf of every team in Scotland and flew the appropriate one on the day! :D

Daft rumour number two: Was also (un)reliably informed that one resident from those flats would invite an opposing fan or two up for a nominal fee (ie a couple of quid cheaper than the turnstile or biccies & booze)

Despite the fact that we won nothing more than the Tennents Sixes, weren't the Alex MacDonald years great?

Absolutely. Actually this thread yesterday inspired me to watch the "Back from the brink" and "That was the team that was" videos on youtube - great stuff. Wish the current team had some of those players now (and a manager and chairman to boot).

Great game, was going to skim through it but couldnt stop myself from watching it all.

A lot to be said for Scottish players and the constant effort they are willing to put into a game, bring back the days of at least nine Scots in the Hearts team and the desire to run until you drop with a fair amount of skill mixed in there as well.

Great!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Great game, was going to skim through it but couldnt stop myself from watching it all.

A lot to be said for Scottish players and the constant effort they are willing to put into a game, bring back the days of at least nine Scots in the Hearts team and the desire to run until you drop with a fair amount of skill mixed in there as well.

Great!

The tempo is absolutely radge. Non stop football

I arrived a wee bit late.

Just fought my way into the shed to meet my mates.

Right at the corner when the teams came out.Robbo came straight across to the shed JOHN,JOHN,JOHN ROBERTSON!!!!

I was greetin because I was sure he was looking right at me. Magic!!!!!!!

Followed up by SOUNESS,SOUNESS wheres yir wife! Then SHAGGED BY A DAGO!

29 year old then 52 now Those where the days!

Im greetin now. Thanks.

I think they should issue a Campaign Medal for those of us who "suffered" in the cause (mentioning the overflow from the loo in the shed, for example)!!!

But then, our reward, was being together, standing where we wanted to stand with those we wanted to be with and having, and every so often a game that stands out in the memory, like this one. (I include v Burnley/Texaco; Loco Leipzig; v Rangers in Cup in '68 etc.)

I think they should issue a Campaign Medal for those of us who "suffered" in the cause (mentioning the overflow from the loo in the shed, for example)!!!

or the pie stall fire at the school end around 88/89ish :lol:

2 things about that game,

Even now I still don't know how Davie Cooper wasn't at least booked for that challenge on Henry,

and,

When was Scottish Football that great between then and now that Doddie couldn't get another managers gig after Airdrie.

2 things about that game,

Even now I still don't know how Davie Cooper wasn't at least booked for that challenge on Henry,

and,

When was Scottish Football that great between then and now that Doddie couldn't get another managers gig after Airdrie.

I think Henry saved Cooper's bacon by shaking his outstretched hand, rather than rolling around on the turf pretending he was gravely injured and in enormous pain. Changed days indeed, but a refreshing reminder how the game used to be played here: hard challenges delivered and expected, with far fewer cheats, divers and actors in evidence. Even after Galloway had dived in on Gough, Gough didn't try and make anything more of it than there was, and didn't feign injury or square-up to Galloway (and, believe me, I had little good to say about Guff at the time...).

What really surprised me was how lenient Syme was throughout the game, how he tried to let play flow without blowing for anything and everything, and how impartial (compared to the current rabble of referees, anyway) his performance was. Again, he was one of my least favourite referees at the time, but I'd love to see officiating of that calibre back in our game today.

haha....it was like last night at the proms in the Hearts End with the fans who stood right behind the goals in those days......you know, the fans that were too good to carry on the Gorgie Wave :P and celebrated goals with a "good oh chaps" and a little clap... :D

Archived