Renegotiate the contracts

Perth to Paisley

52 members have voted

1. 1. Bonker or worth a punt?

• Bonkers
    • Worth a punt
    • St Johnstone

Perth to Paisley

One for the legal ?experts? ? there are many examples in the real world when a company is struggling for cash or is in a cash flow position that it asks its staff to work a short week or takes a voluntary reduction in the contracted rates.

Is this option available in the unreal world of football?

It may be that some players might be happier to take a reduction than move to a new club on a rate that is below the reduced rate on offer.

If accepted the club could retain the services of that player and save a good few pounds along the way.

This assumes we can afford to pay the reduced rate and we actually pay it!

:thumbsup:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Players won't automatically accept a pay-cut unless they are desperate to stay at the club, which is unlikely in most cases I'd imagine. The only way we'll get the players to sign on reduced terms is if they are very short on offers in general or offers which are close to the terms they want, in which case they may accept a pay cut from Hearts so as to keep them in employment or preference over other potential destinations.

Perth to Paisley

We badly need a clearout.

I agree - but there are some I would like to keep if we can afford them.

Johanes de Silentio

I agree - but there are some I would like to keep if we can afford them.

Kello will be the biggest loss, imo - cannae see us keeping him, unfortunately.

You can only renegotiate a contract if both parties are willing - or can be made to be willing if you know what I mean.

In a short career for a player there's nothing in a renegotiation for them.

lost in leith

IIRC Dunfermline did this a few years ago. As has been pointed out,both parties need to agree to a change to a contract. Pretty sure Stevie Crawford agreed to a salary cut but a reduction in the length in his contract which made it easier for him to move down South. Our problem is that we would like to get shot of players who are overpaid - can't see many of them being in a big rush to negotiate!

JamboAberdeen

Better players who we want to keep won't accept pay cut as he knows he'll have takers outside Hearts.

Average players who we want to get rid of will happily re-negotiate to stay with us longer.

So, you know the consequence.

southside1874

One for the legal ?experts? ? there are many examples in the real world when a company is struggling for cash or is in a cash flow position that it asks its staff to work a short week or takes a voluntary reduction in the contracted rates.

Is this option available in the unreal world of football?

It may be that some players might be happier to take a reduction than move to a new club on a rate that is below the reduced rate on offer.

If accepted the club could retain the services of that player and save a good few pounds along the way.

This assumes we can afford to pay the reduced rate and we actually pay it!

:thumbsup:

This is possible if the player is willing to accept the reduced contract.

Charlie-Brown

McGowan, Templeton, Robinson, G.Smith, Novikovas, Holt, J.Walker & D.Smith all still have contracts as do some experienced pro's like Hamill, Grainger, Webster & Mrowiec.

A couple of those out of contract might re-sign and some of those still under contract like Barr, Driver & Sutton might get moved on.

Iam sure we will manage just fine.

Cannot imagine too many players being interested in this.

I suppose if you said "take a pay cut and we'll extend your contract for another three years" that might be attractive to a player who was worried whether he would find a new club.

Archived