Frys five centres

Gambo

I'm sitting here eating a Frys chocolate* cream (did it not used to be a Frys peppermint cream?) and it got me thinking, what happened to the Frys five centres?

Also if you can still get opalfruits/starbust why can you not still get Pacers?

You can also still get TootieFruities but you can get Tootie minties.

The last 2 examples might be explained away because they were green and white in colour, but the five centres???

Say What Again
But do you remember Fry's Five Boys chocolate?

Were Five Boys and Five Centres not different names for the same thing?

Stuart Lyon

Isn't the peppermint cream still available - thought I saw one in the local store at lunchtime today? Unfortunately they are wrapped in a Hobboish green paper which mks them look unattractive.

Stuart Lyon

Jack the 5 Boys chocolate bar was just chocolate but it had 5 faces each with a different expression. I think they went from a happy face at the first segment to a sad face at the last obviously to reflect that the bar of chocolate was nearly finished.

I'm sitting here eating a Frys chocolate* cream (did it not used to be a Frys peppermint cream?) and it got me thinking, what happened to the Frys five centres?

The last 2 examples might be explained away because they were green and white in colour, but the five centres???

Fry's chocolate cream was the original one, I think. The one in the darkish blue and white wrapper if memory serves me right. Then afterwards came the peppermint and five centres. Wait...just found this:

"Frys Five Centres

This was around in the 1970's (along with a Cadburys bar which was like a box of chocolates in a bar). However it was withdrawn - what remains are the single flavour Frys Chocolate Cream, Frys Peppermint Cream and Frys Orange Cream (we stock them all!).

Frys Five Boys were the forerunner to Five Centres -with a different boy's face on each piece."

Info on pacers there too.

Info on old sweets etc here:

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/acatalog/whatever.html

Cheers

Lynn

It was always Frys chocolate cream if I recollect. It came in the blue and white wrapping and the peppermint cream came in green and white wrapping.

I P Knightley

You'll need to remind me: what was in each of the five centres? Haven't thought about them since they were withdrawn, whenever that was.

I've seen Fry's orange creme in a few newsagents - is this a range of chocolates you're talking about or is it a bar of chocolate with 5 different creme segments?

Now what about rhubarb rock? That was tasty.

Not the same now though.

Stuart Lyon

Lynn thanks but the rhubarb rock I fondly remember was like a bar of rock a few inches long and as Tam's Bird says its just not the same these days.

Say What Again
Jack the 5 Boys chocolate bar was just chocolate but it had 5 faces each with a different expression. I think they went from a happy face at the first segment to a sad face at the last obviously to reflect that the bar of chocolate was nearly finished.

Wee bit of google confirms you're memory works perfectly Stuart!

The middle one looks like Derek Riordan :eek:

Fry

Lynn thanks but the rhubarb rock I fondly remember was like a bar of rock a few inches long and as Tam's Bird says its just not the same these days.

That's right, I remember that now that you mention it. Wonder if it still has the same taste.

Stuart Lyon

Jack I got the explanation of the expressions a bit wrong but hey hoe. Thanks for finding that.

Stuart Lyon

Lynn I have seen the sticks of rhubarb rock for ages and 2 of the last real sweetie makers in Edinburgh closed down a couple of years ago.

Lynn I have seen the sticks of rhubarb rock for ages and 2 of the last real sweetie makers in Edinburgh closed down a couple of years ago.

Darn, that's a shame.:sad:

Anybody remember a fudge/chocolate sweetie. It was dark chocolate which covered half the bit of fudge. Think it was called a russian caramel, or something similar...russian *something*. Man, they were delicious! Used to get them out Sanny Weir's wee corner shop in Armadale...

Lynn

The Wicker Man

MB bars, Quizzes and lucky tatties - from the tuck shop.

Toffee Doddles - from Pearce's in Great Junction Street.

.... champions league 2006..... all distant memories :)

Jambojohnnyboy

Loved striper bars, they should bring them back.

Also ain't seen a bar of Duncan's in a good while.

Darn, that's a shame.:sad:

Anybody remember a fudge/chocolate sweetie. It was dark chocolate which covered half the bit of fudge. Think it was called a russian caramel, or something similar...russian *something*. Man, they were delicious! Used to get them out Sanny Weir's wee corner shop in Armadale...

Lynn

Chocolate Russian Caramels, were about 70p a quarter, back in the day when 70p was a lot of money. I wouldn't have been taking you out Lynn, far too dear a date. I used to see them in Billy Gray's shop in Linlithgow, but I never bought them. Army and Navy, Kola Kubes, Sherbet Straws and Pear Drops were more my budget!

I seem to remember instead of buying a quarter of sweets buying 2 - 2oz pokes. This was in the days before decimilisation (sp), just to get the variety Cola Cubes, Soor Plooms, Hawick Baws, etc.

I do have a question though.

I seem to remember when you popped a Soor Ploom or Acid Drop in yer gob yer cheeks would implode so sharp was the taste, that doesn't seem to happen nearly so much. Is it because as you get older your taste buds get de-sensitized or is it they're not allowed to use as much flavouring (hydrochloric acid in the aciid drops I seem to remember) these days?

I still love sweets and have only lost 2 teeth to the demon decay!!!!

Frys turkish delight is the best!

does anyone remember jolly ranchers? watermelon ones were braw.

you're talking my language today mate!!

think you can still get them online fae the US

Dusk_Till_Dawn

They were a bit rank. What about Soccer Shields? Never got the Hearts badge, despite eating them all the time

Tudor crisps at the ABC on a Staurday morning - kipper flavoured (WTF!).

Chipmunk crisps at Tynie - and Kia Ora which was vile.

Chelsea Bars

Spanish Gold - some sort of edible erstaz baccy sort of stuff ?

Nougat wafers (aka 'black men') which I used to get from my late uncle by the box load.

Spanish Gold - some sort of edible erstaz baccy sort of stuff ?

Strands of sugary coconut. Seem to remember it being in a waxed paper wrapper. You wouldnt get away with a sweety tobacco these days.

Anyway time to light up the old pipe. ;)

Strands of sugary coconut. Seem to remember it being in a waxed paper wrapper. You wouldnt get away with a sweety tobacco these days.

Anyway time to light up the old pipe. ;)

I don't smoke but has anyone had that flavoured tobacco? Thats an experience its like breathing coconut/strawberry/mint etc.

Archived