Jim Cruickshank - Hearts Hall of Fame

Don Draper

Following on from the thread marking a year since the passing of Jim Cruickshank and the poignant scenes at Tynie a couple of days later, I was wondering if there was anything that could be done to gently persuade the club to allow Jim to enter the Heart of Midlothian Hall of Fame...?

I just think that, given what a great servant he was to Hearts for many years, and how much his contribution was valued by fans, and the Scotland caps he received during a period when competition for places was tough in his particular position, the man deserves to take his place in there alongside other Hearts legends.

I know he was on the shortlist in 2009, and that there was a wee rumour flying about that he'd actually got enough votes to be allowed in (but wasn't in the end, obviously). No idea if that is true or not. I don't suppose it matters all that much now.

Does anyone know anything about how the Hall of Fame operates, i.e. when there might next be an opportunity for new inductees to enter, and whether or not there would be a chance of voting for him again?

Anyone else agree that it would be a nice gesture from the club to either simply let him in directly, or give us another chance to vote him in?

He should be there, no question.

There may have been an issue about whether he would have accepted. I am not sure if that was what got in the way before. Maybe his family would have to consent.

He'd get my vote.

Craig Herbertson

Should have been there a long time ago. Apart from his abilities and character which everyone knew about at the time look at his record and service to the club - 394 appearances for HMFC. 6 times for Scotland and only once on the losing side.

Should be a no brainer, IMO the best keeper we have had, and that is saying something considering our excellent goalkeeper history. JC would get my vote all the time.

Francis Albert

He should without a doubt be in there.

I don't seem to have heard much about the Hall of Fame recently - is it still active?

He should without a doubt be in there.

I don't seem to have heard much about the Hall of Fame recently - is it still active?

Same here - I dunno. The Hall of Fame section of the Hearts website has said 'Coming soon' for quite some time now...

i think the problem would be down to the consent of his family, its well known Jim wanted nothing to do with Hearts despite the club attempting to mend bridges many times over the years.

Maybe not the right time to broach these subjects with the club but depending on how long we end up in weird ownership limbo it might be something they allow a fans committee to take over with representation from club or something along those lines. Assuming they don't fully intend to keep up with this sort of thing in the interim period, of course.

Tin Hat time.......The 'hall of fame' is/was purely a money making excercise,usually priced at ?100-?150 per ticket. The recipients are given a small (smart) crystal momento and 'inducted' into an imaginary arena.

I think there should be name plaques either in the home dressing room or in the tunnel rather than listed (or not) on the club website.Guys like Jim Cruickshank,Drew Busby,Willie Bauld et al more than deserve every accolade.i just think we could do more for them.

Hearts Heritage

Tin Hat time.......The 'hall of fame' is/was purely a money making excercise,usually priced at ?100-?150 per ticket. The recipients are given a small (smart) crystal momento and 'inducted' into an imaginary arena.

I think there should be name plaques either in the home dressing room or in the tunnel rather than listed (or not) on the club website.Guys like Jim Cruickshank,Drew Busby,Willie Bauld et al more than deserve every accolade.i just think we could do more for them.

Splits into 2 aspects

1 - The Commercial - Money making Dinner

2 - The 'Hall Of Fame' - recognising players

There was always a tension between the 2, in that to make it 'relevant' to 'current' generation the 'entrees' were either

Current or near current players

'Legends' from the 1950s onwards

This led to some 'current players' getting on the list

Who we'll say in 20 years 'WTF'?

Ignoring any player pre 1950

So No

Tom Purdie

Davie Baird

Bobby Wallker

Charlie Thomson

Jock White

Barney Battles

Andy Anderson

Andy Black

I always thought it could have been easily resolved by having a committee pick some players or even saying to David Speed you have 5 picks each year.

Archived