Craig Gordon

Locky

After watching the Jimmy Cruickshank tribute video I saw this one at the side. Makes me realise how good the big man is. This video was made before his save vs Bolton last year but the one I was pretty pissed about not being in it was the save against the Hobo's at ER.

Only one clip involving the Jambo's but a few nice ones for Scotland. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONxP49ZJr0U&feature=related

:what: half of those saves arent even as good as the triple save at the start. obviously made by some sunderland supporting ****.

:what: half of those saves arent even as good as the triple save at the start. obviously made by some sunderland supporting ****.

Most likely, but his save against Macedonia was brilliant considering he probably didn't know an awful lot about it, and his save vs West Ham was pretty impressive.

We could have a Craig Gordon top saves v. Allan MacGregor top saves. It would be close.

You could then do howlers v. howlers

Or basic errors v. basic errors.

For the latter 2 there would be one winner hands down.

We could have a Craig Gordon top saves v. Allan MacGregor top saves. It would be close.

Craig Gordon is number 1 no contest IMO. McGregor has only ever played first team for Rangers when they've been winning leagues. It's easy to look good when you have a good back 4 in front of you.

Craig Gordon is number 1 no contest IMO. McGregor has only ever played first team for Rangers when they've been winning leagues. It's easy to look good when you have a good back 4 in front of you.

Only ever remember Gordon making one howler for Hearts. It was a 97th min winner against us by Smeltic at Smeltic Park. McGregor has made about half a dozen howlers this season already. No contest when both fully fit.

Have to go with Mcgregor at this stage. Craig won't win back the gloves if he's not playing but hopefully he can get himself back in the sunderland team. But Mcgregor will be the scotland number one simply because he is the better keeper at this stage.

Don't you mean the fitter goalkeeper ?

Have to go with Mcgregor at this stage. Craig won't win back the gloves if he's not playing but hopefully he can get himself back in the sunderland team. But Mcgregor will be the scotland number one simply because he is the better keeper at this stage.

Only because MacGregor is fit

The only admiration I have for MacGregor is the way he has conned a whole nation into only recognising his good saves.

All the howlers are either a - not commented on or b - put down as uncharacteristic errors.

Agreed. You could have made up a top 10 of his time at Hearts far better than that. Although the one from Carlton Cole was quality. They should also have his "save" against Reading from Setphen Hunt which didn't actually cross the line but was given as a goal. I remember Roy Keane was raging about it, it was an unbelievable save.

Pretty gutting to see Craig struggling as much as he has. When he moved to Sunderland I genuinely thought he'd be at a club like Arsenal or Spurs by now.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Remember his save from a David Clarkson volley in the last minute versus Motherwell? Last kick of the ball it was. Best save I've ever seen in the flesh.

Remember his save from a David Clarkson volley in the last minute versus Motherwell? Last kick of the ball it was. Best save I've ever seen in the flesh.

Agree . Was probably to young to appreciate Cruickshank. Can never decide who the better keeper is when comparing Niemi and Gordon. Would if pushed go for Niemi but Gordon's save that day against Motherwell was probably the best save i've seen.

Remember it well. The videos don't show how hard Clarkson hit that ball. Gordon's save was phenomenal.

correct. Was it Chelsea or Man City that hit Sunderland for 8 or so a few seasons ago. All the boys in my local (in Hull) were taking the piss out of him until they seen the match stats at the end where they had 35 shots on target!!

correct. Was it Chelsea or Man City that hit Sunderland for 8 or so a few seasons ago. All the boys in my local (in Hull) were taking the piss out of him until they seen the match stats at the end where they had 35 shots on target!!

I think Chelsea gave them a skelping a couple of years back. I remember Gordon taking a lot of stick after a 7-1 defeat to Everton.

Fozzyonthefence

Hmmmm, 2 posts, and this one is very Hoboesque.

Are you seriously saying McGregor is the better keeper? Wtf does the better keeper at this stage mean? You do realise that Gordon has been injured for ages and McGregor has been pish this season for Rangers and Scotland, right? I think Gordon is nearly fit again and he may have a job getting his place back at Sunderland given that there's another 2 international keepers there and if he doesn't then it's reasonable to assume he won't get back in the Scotland team but that's not because McGregor is playing well this season or is the better keeper - only Current Buns would claim he is.

McGregor's howlers this season (like the ones against Celtic, Dundee Utd and the one in the Scotland friendly) didn't get the full media scrutinty because Rangers and Scotland still won these games (or was the Scotland one a draw, when he let a cross in - can't remember now). In fact ever ****** up McGregor makes is followed by the usual "that's a very uncharacteristic mistake" from the so called expert pundits. How many times does he have to **** up for it to become "characteristic"? If he ever moves to the EPL he will be well and truly exposed as the shite keeper he actually is and just won't get away with the howlers he regularly has up here.

I'm guessing people on here will have followed his career closely since he left Hearts - so educate me here if I'm wrong. The uninformed, only from reading bits and pieces here and there, impression I had was that pre-injury he had been average in the Prem and had rightly lost his place in the team. Is that right? Think people's opinions on MacGregor are always split because he is such a horrible human being - truly good goalkeeper all the same. Best save I've seen in the flesh is still Niemi from a freekick at Rugby Park.

Not trying to bash Gordon here by any means - genuinely interested

alwaysthereinspirit

That save was in one of the first game of the season.

We won 2 - 1 and got 3 points.

How many points did we beat Rankgers by to clinch 2nd spot?

Top goalie. McGregor couldn't lace his boots best on best.

After watching the Jimmy Cruickshank tribute video I saw this one at the side. Makes me realise how good the big man is. This video was made before his save vs Bolton last year but the one I was pretty pissed about not being in it was the save against the Hobo's at ER.

Only one clip involving the Jambo's but a few nice ones for Scotland. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONxP49ZJr0U&feature=related

Eh??

Whoever compiled that must be English based and never have had access to Sportscene (The Mighty programme it is) as the 'Top 10' is missing ALL his top SPL Hearts saves. Countless come flooding back.

That is a list of his best numbered 40-50.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Craig Gordon is still one of the best keepers in Britain at the moment IMO.

Even comparing him to McGregor is an insult to Craigie, I feel. Allan McGregor is the Joe Hart of Scotland - overrated.

Unfortunately I can't see him getting back into the Sunderland 1st XI. Steve Bruce prefers Westwood and Mignolet, apparently.

If Craig Gordon were to seek a move, he would easily get another Premiership club to come in for him (if he stops getting injured, though).

I'm guessing people on here will have followed his career closely since he left Hearts - so educate me here if I'm wrong. The uninformed, only from reading bits and pieces here and there, impression I had was that pre-injury he had been average in the Prem and had rightly lost his place in the team. Is that right? Think people's opinions on MacGregor are always split because he is such a horrible human being - truly good goalkeeper all the same. Best save I've seen in the flesh is still Niemi from a freekick at Rugby Park.

Nope ... when not injured one of the most consistent keepers in the EPL. Under-rated by most.

He got dropped after a 7.1 going on 20 defeat by Everton. He was not at fault for any of the goals. Roy Keane admitted he wasn't really doing anything wrong but Sunderland were shipping goals left right and centre and he wanted to try something different for a few games.

Every other removal from the team since then has been injury related. Just before his latest injury he had made 2-3 mistakes but Bruce said it was a slight confidence problem, but he was going to play him through.

My view was that only the most rancid of Rangers fan would take MacGregor if both fit - or someone completely stupid. But it looks like the power of our press is greater than I thought.

He got dropped after a 7.1 going on 20 defeat by Everton. He was not at fault for any of the goals. Roy Keane admitted he wasn't really doing anything wrong but Sunderland were shipping goals left right and centre and he wanted to try something different for a few games.

Every other removal from the team since then has been injury related. Just before his latest injury he had made 2-3 mistakes but Bruce said it was a slight confidence problem, but he was going to play him through.

My view was that only the most rancid of Rangers fan would take MacGregor if both fit - or someone completely stupid. But it looks like the power of our press is greater than I thought.

that's the one I was on about - I go the strip clour right at least... Sunderland did have a truly, truly shocking defence in that period.

Ah cheers for that - as I say I asked out of genuine ignorance. Forgot it was Keane managing at the time - strange time for the club. Hope he can get back in the team and get some more saves like that Bolton one in. Stunning.

Craig Gordon is still one of the best keepers in Britain at the moment IMO.

Even comparing him to McGregor is an insult to Craigie, I feel. Allan McGregor is the Joe Hart of Scotland - overrated.

Unfortunately I can't see him getting back into the Sunderland 1st XI. Steve Bruce prefers Westwood and Mignolet, apparently.

If Craig Gordon were to seek a move, he would easily get another Premiership club to come in for him (if he stops getting injured, though).

First of all, he's still injured. New Year is being cited as a possible return. Secondly, his contract expires next summer so whether he plays again for SAFC or not might depend on whether or not he will commit himself to a new deal. Before the injury, this looked likely but Mignolet and Westwood have put their hands up.

First of all, he's still injured. New Year is being cited as a possible return. Secondly, his contract expires next summer so whether he plays again for SAFC or not might depend on whether or not he will commit himself to a new deal. Before the injury, this looked likely but Mignolet and Westwood have put their hands up.

There was a thread on a Sundeland forum (ready to go) a few weeks ago, about which of their 3 keepers was the best. Without doing a proper analysis it appeared that a sizable majority thought Craig & by a fair margin.

The caveat was all about his fitness and indeed if he would recover this time, and if he did, would he commit to new contract.

Comments regarding Mignolet were mostly negative. However these were the views of a small number of fans and most importantly not the manager.

alwaysthereinspirit

I believe Craig will end up at one of this years championship promoted clubs. Dont think he'll stay at Sunderland.

Archived