Getting a document notarised

Snake Plissken

Snake Plissken

Hello Kickback

Seeking some advice from you lovely people...

Here's the situation: I'm in the process of applying for a VISA for working abroad and to do this I need to have a couple of documents with an Apostille. Essentially it's a case of sending the appropriate documents to the FOC office and I was just about to do this when I noticed that I needed to get my degree notarised first (I got my disclosure signed and stamped prior to it being sent out so that's covered).

So I've had a little look around and asked for quotes and the best I've found so far is ?40, that's forty pounds sterling for what amounts to less than five minutes of work. Surely there has to be a better deal out there than that?

Dare I ask, are there any registered notaries who read this forum that can help or know someone who can?

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Sorry Teenwolf maybe well off the mark here but cant a Justice of the Peace do this, had a friend who changed his name back to his birth name (He had been adopted) when applying for a new passport he needed the JoP to give a declaration and had to send off his original Birth Certificate.

He wasn't charged anything.

Snake Plissken

Really not sure Neon, but from what I can take from this (lifted from the FOC website), doesn't look like I can.

We can legalise original certificates of UK academic qualifications if:

They have been certified in the UK by a practising UK solicitor or notary public

Or

They have been signed and certified by an official of the British Council

We can legalise photocopies of certificates of UK academic qualifications if:

They have been certified as a true copy of the original in the UK by a practising UK solicitor or notary public

Or

They have been certified as a true copy of the original by an official of a British diplomatic mission (e.g. Consulate, Embassy or High Commission)

But from that I would take that just about any registered solicitor could do it...

Snake Plissken

That's what I was afraid of, cheers anyway chaps.

Just a bit of a bugger forking out ?40 for the signature and then another ?60 to get an Apostille for two documents and then the VISA fee on top of all that. Will be worth it in the end though.

Archived