And now the end is near.......

Rudy T

So here we are not even half way through a new season and the major sponsor announces it?s pulling the plug, and who can blame them.

The circus that is Scottish Football is slowly killing itself. The fans who actually bother still going and do care about the game need to stand up and tell the clowns running the game its time for change.

I?m at a loss to see what major company would want its name associated with:

Sectarian Singing

The Support of terrorist organisations

An increase in domestic violence when two teams play

A manger being sent letter bombs

A manger attacked on the pitch

Players on drug, fraud and assault charges

Officials admitting to cheating

A team who doesn?t pay its players on time

Tax cases

Bills passed in parliament as a result of a football match

At least two teams on the brink of administration

The governing bodies refusal to increase the league size to attract more customers

A year on year decline in paying customers

Less and less TV exposure

And the actual football is utterly abysmal

The list goes on, unless they radically overhaul the entire game this is only going one way and that?s down. In the past the Old Firm have been the major factor in the sponsorship, companies know the exposure they get from these two ? however the actual benefit of this is now outweighed by the negatives that surround these two and the rest of the game.

J Cheever Loophole

So here we are not even half way through a new season and the major sponsor announces it?s pulling the plug, and who can blame them.

The circus that is Scottish Football is slowly killing itself. The fans who actually bother still going and do care about the game need to stand up and tell the clowns running the game its time for change.

Sectarian Singing

Tax cases

The governing bodies refusal to increase the league size to attract more customers

The list goes on, unless they radically overhaul the entire game this is only going one way and that?s down. In the past the Old Firm have been the major factor in the sponsorship, companies know the exposure they get from these two ? however the actual benefit of this is now outweighed by the negatives that surround these two and the rest of the game.

Sad, but correct on every point listed.verymad.gif

I wouldn't say there is less TV exposure. If anything that has grew recently.

On ESPN, the odd Sky game, and 10pm on a Sunday night on BBC 2....... its hardly prime time. And invariably its the old firm pumping diddy's at their half full stadiums. Its a sad sight.

Sectarian Singing

Tax cases

Its the ideal time for Scottish football to reinvent itself.

An 18 league team. Money spread evenly between clubs. Rangers and Celtic kicked out. Cheaper tickets to attract fans. Hibs still to be shite. :lol:

kingantti1874

Scottish football will have to reinvent itself, we are now no more than a feeder league for young players to showcase themseles - the sooner we accept it and move on the better - 2 18 team leagues, summer football, charge ?10 to get in and ultimately lose every good player we manage to develop before they are 22 - keep the shitey ones and pay them a pittance..

Sooner we accept it and move on the better...

Either that or beg the English to assimilate the entire national game in sOmw radical restructure

The Great Khali

Might be a wee bit more tv exposure but when Rangers away to St Johnstone is on at the same time as say, Man City Spurs, who's goin to rake in the most viewers?

Sectarian Singing

Tax cases

A good exciting league and good standard of football would put alot of the above into the shade....scandal and mischief goes on in the best run leagues in the world....and its went on previously right through the years.....

The main one for me is the refusal to revamp the game on a big scale.......i don`t think this country is brave enough and there are too many doom and gloom fans(quite a few on here) who can`t see the bigger picture.

If change did happen it wouldn`t be an immediate success, it may be long and painful until we saw light at the end of the tunnel. But when the Premier league was introduced as the bright new saviour in the 70`s it really signalled the slow decline(as we know now) of our game......so, we`ve went full circle and we need to try something again.......

A good exciting league and good standard of football would put alot of the above into the shade....scandal and mischief goes on in the best run leagues in the world....and its went on previously right through the years.....

The main one for me is the refusal to revamp the game on a big scale.......i don`t think this country is brave enough and there are too many doom and gloom fans(quite a few on here) who can`t see the bigger picture.

If change did happen it wouldn`t be an immediate success, it may be long and painful until we saw light at the end of the tunnel. But when the Premier league was introduced as the bright new saviour in the 70`s it really signalled the slow decline(as we know now) of our game......so, we`ve went full circle and we need to try something again.......

I think perhaps we look to Germany as a model and get the brains behind their revamp over here to help.

You're right though it's not just the league its a cultural and midset change thats also required.

I think perhaps we look to Germany as a model and get the brains behind their revamp over here to help.

You're right though it's not just the league its a cultural and midset change thats also required.

Too many people in our game, who don't have it at heart, make too much money from it for doing very little other than pandering to the Old Firm.

Get them to **** and we might stand a chance.

Nelly Terraces

Good idea, but that would mean those in charge here conceding they don't have a forking clue how to run, or change, anything, so it'll never happen. It's all about protecting ones position here and nothing else. The sad thing is, appetite for football in Scotland is voracious, and a decent set up, with exciting football and plenty to play for would see the fans back in their droves, and folk watching it a lot more on TV (I mean, who watches St Jo's v Killie, you turn on, see an empty stadium and the ball in the air and just switch over).

The product and set up has to change or the game will be dead within 10 years. Also, the way we play football here is nothing short of a disgrace, all coaches, from the lowest level to the highest must either be made to change, or be gotten rid of, if they're unwilling to sign a declaration as to how to implement more continental coaching methods. The entire way we teach kids needs a complete revamp, 3 a side for nippers, 5's for under 10s and so on. More touches on the ball = Better players, FACT.

We're not quite at the bottom yet, but are very close to it. I mean, look at Ireland qualifying for the Euros, a country with a population of what, 3mill? And it's not even their No1 sport ffs. We've not been at a major champs since 1998, and even worse, our U21's since 1996! Disgraceful. The game here has been left to rot by those in at the top, i.e. the SFA.

The time's come to get things sorted, but like I said, sadly, I can't ever see it happening. :down:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading an interview with one of the guys behind the German setup who was basically agreeing that we need to reduce the league size down to 10, so not sure that is the exact model to replicate!

Good idea, but that would mean those in charge here conceding they don't have a forking clue how to run, or change, anything, so it'll never happen. It's all about protecting ones position here and nothing else. The sad thing is, appetite for football in Scotland is voracious, and a decent set up, with exciting football and plenty to play for would see the fans back in their droves, and folk watching it a lot more on TV (I mean, who watches St Jo's v Killie, you turn on, see an empty stadium and the ball in the air and just switch over).

The product and set up has to change or the game will be dead within 10 years. Also, the way we play football here is nothing short of a disgrace, all coaches, from the lowest level to the highest must either be made to change, or be gotten rid of, if they're unwilling to sign a declaration as to how to implement more continental coaching methods. The entire way we teach kids needs a complete revamp, 3 a side for nippers, 5's for under 10s and so on. More touches on the ball = Better players, FACT.

We're not quite at the bottom yet, but are very close to it. I mean, look at Ireland qualifying for the Euros, a country with a population of what, 3mill? And it's not even their No1 sport ffs. We've not been at a major champs since 1998, and even worse, our U21's since 1996! Disgraceful. The game here has been left to rot by those in at the top, i.e. the SFA.

The time's come to get things sorted, but like I said, sadly, I can't ever see it happening. :down:

Spot on Nelly.

I've said before, you'll get more innovative, fresher, achievable ideas on kickback (and probably onany other football forum) in one thread than you would in a multi-million pound SFA review.

See the bit in bold........how difficult would it be to roll this out amongst schools?? What is stopping us?

Tokyo Drifter

On ESPN, the odd Sky game, and 10pm on a Sunday night on BBC 2....... its hardly prime time. And invariably its the old firm pumping diddy's at their half full stadiums. Its a sad sight.

And don't forget the six people who watch BBC Alba

I've heard about fans of certain clubs ripping seats out, but attacking mangers is going too far.

I hope there were no baby prophets sleeping in them at the time.

Sadly, the game here will never improve for the better, as it's not in the best interests of the Old Firm and their supporters for things to change. Nobody brought in to oversee the development of our game will see past what the two Glasgow clubs want in order to benefit everyone else.

Sadly all of this is completely true.

Scottish football needs a massive injection of cash, and a complete refurbishment pronto.

We really do need to have a proper pyramid system

Merge the current 12 SPL, 10 Div 1 and 10 Div teams into 2 16 team leagues with 3 up 3 down

Below the new Div 1 there sould be 3 regional leagues, Div 2 North, Div 2 West and Div 2 East/South made up of the current Div 3 teams, East of Scotland, Highland League, South of Scotland, East Juniors, West Juniors and North Juniors. There are then a lot of choices as to how relegation and promotion from the regional leagues would work but there are ample options for things like playoffs that have worked so well in England. For example you could relegate 1 team from each region and promotions would be in the form of the top 2 in each Senior/junior league (12 teams) being drawn into 3 semi finals then finals with the 3 winners gaining promotion. or the 12 could be made up of the bottom 2 in each region plus the senior/junior league winners.

jamboinglasgow

Scottish football will have to reinvent itself, we are now no more than a feeder league for young players to showcase themseles - the sooner we accept it and move on the better - 2 18 team leagues, summer football, charge ?10 to get in and ultimately lose every good player we manage to develop before they are 22 - keep the shitey ones and pay them a pittance..

Sooner we accept it and move on the better...

Either that or beg the English to assimilate the entire national game in sOmw radical restructure

I agree with most of that. I think we have look to a radical shake up of the league set-up in Scotland. I agree we have to accept that we need to create better youngsters and in term give them a chance at an early level, but in the same way accept that they will move on by the age of 23. In Uruguay they realised that the way capitalism is in world football, their leagues would not hold onto their best players for long, so looked back on the players they developed and decided that for the sake of the national teams, they needed players who are world class in the requirements for what world football is, not what is needed for the Uruguayan league. Though they do create quality players and Penarol were runners up in the South American equivalent of the Champions league this year. Now Penarol (and their big rivals Nacional) are the old firm of Uruguayan football, in fact maybe even more dominat, but clubs are now competiting with them and leagues are close, with others team running the big two close or even times finishing ahead of them. All the while the squads of these teams are made up of nearly all Uruguayans. Point being is that I think we should look to creating a league where talented young players are the key, we could even encourage it as a stepping stone for talented young players from outside Scotland to come in

I do think the size of league can be a overshadow some of the more important issues but if Scottish decided to rip this system up and start again, I would be happy with 2 leagues of 16 and a pyramid system underneath. It allows clubs that take the initiative the chance to move up, while others who sit on their laurels to move down, thus giving the league a refresh. I would also make the League cup have a group section where you have to play so many players under the age of say 21.

I think lowering the ticket prices is key to boosting numbers and interest, a fan charter should be created when under 16 prices are not allowed to go above ?5 (with ?3 for under 8s) and adult prices are between ?10 and ?15. So a father and two sons of 12 and 7 will cost at the most ?23, about the same as an adult ticket costs now (and cheapest is ?18.) I think there also needs to be a change with the atmosphere at grounds, as too often it is quiet except for moans, adding more colour to crowds with banners, flags and special chanting sections would add to the excitement for attracting more people. This will require a change in attitude among supporters. But if you watch the Bundisleague they show how it can work.

We also need to change the style of football we play. If instead of punt and run, we change to posession based style which relys on decent technique. One that can be more entertaining. We can mix it up with some of the old style of hard work, off the ball, closing down. But a game played on the ground would be important to the future of Scottish football.

What I am saying is that everyone in football, be it owners/chairmen or supporters will have to accept change if Scottish football is going to improve. It may mean somethings we may not agree with to start off with (improved family sections where swearing is banned or a slightly slower, more patient style of football) but if given the chance it will be all for the better.

Any improvement to Scottish football if done in a big way would require a few years where we may at first continue going downwards, but done right we be at a better level then now.

Sectarian Singing

Tax cases

Excellent post. My thoughts exactly.

Most Scottish football fans have the answers for the game - Bigger leagues, more promotion/relegation, cheaper admission to games, more incentives for teams etc. It's a long list that's doable.

However, the people that could make it happen, aren't listening. And haven't been for sometime. That's why we're in the shitter.

To think that the a change in the set up requires the approval of some small time barons luring around dying clubs in bum****ville, then no frerakin wonder it's dying.

Sectarian Singing

Tax cases

Add in racism and more frequent hooliganism and you could be describing every league in Eastern Europe.

Regan and Doncaster promising to fix it all when they came in.

But not one thing has changed.

Hollow promises from two suits who ignore everything but keep taking the money.

jamboinglasgow

Regan and Doncaster promising to fix it all when they came in.

But not one thing has changed.

Hollow promises from two suits who ignore everything but keep taking the money.

Dont drag Regan into this, he has ripped up the SFA, revolutionised it, the discplinary side of the SFA is now quicker and more effective then before, he is bringing in the changes to Scottish football below senior football that will mean we actually produce top class talent including appointing a performance director who is not one of the old boys of the Scottish football who when he speaks you realise he does have a clue and knows how to bring about a better standard of football in Scotland. Though it will take a few years to notice the real effects of all this.

I agree with you about Doncaster, thought he would come in with an outside prospective to shake up the SPL, but he seems to listen too much to the old firm and is not bold enough.

Archived