Celtic = Disgrace

Locky

Just saw the video (albeit from a couple of years ago) with Celtic fans singing during a minutes silence on remembrance sunday. A bit late now but i'd never seen it and even Peter Lawell shook his head at it. Disgrace of a club.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Mind that time when some of our fans booed the minutes silence for the Pope and shamed our club internationally?

Mind that time when some of our fans booed the minutes silence for the Pope and shamed our club internationally?

Was there not booing from Dundee United and Hibs fans aswell the day before in the other semi?

DU and Hibs are both Irish Catholic.

ManxandCapeTownJambo

Was there not booing from Dundee United and Hibs fans aswell the day before in the other semi?

Maybe 130 years ago

but not sure what that has to do with anything

Maybe 130 years ago

but not sure what that has to do with anything

I realise it's not as though either still bring that up today, especially DU.

The point was mainly that DU and Hibs fans did the same thing (admittedly on a smaller scale because of their smaller crowds).

was that preceded by 30 Years of being told to keep religion out of football

Celtic are a disgrace. Thanks for that.

:rolleyes:

old news. the news should be, celtic are a bigger disgrace than usual.

Seem to remember our fans not keeping our traps shut during a certain mins silence in 2005. :thumbsup:

Maybe I am wrong, but did the guy who founded hibs not go on to play for Scotland?

Problem Officer?

Was that when there was absolutely no need to have a minutes silence for him dying as it happened almost a fortnight prior to the game?

Whoever wanted/allowed that minute's silence was an absolute moron. Every single catholic (not the pretend/plastic ones that make up most of the Celtic support) would have went and paid their respects or whatever it is that they do long before that semi-final took place. Why that decision was ever made I'll never know when it was so obvious what was going to happen.

And why should people who either aren't of the catholic faith, or are atheist or agnostic be forced to peacefully observe something for the head of one of the most corrupt institutions on the planet that they don't believe in in the first place and don't want forced down their neck? You can add to this the fact that it had no relation to football whatsoever as well.

Was that when there was absolutely no need to have a minutes silence for him dying as it happened almost a fortnight prior to the game?

Whoever wanted/allowed that minute's silence was an absolute moron. Every single catholic (not the pretend/plastic ones that make up most of the Celtic support) would have went and paid their respects or whatever it is that they do long before that semi-final took place. Why that decision was ever made I'll never know when it was so obvious what was going to happen.

And why should people who either aren't of the catholic faith, or are atheist or agnostic be forced to peacefully observe something for the head of one of the most corrupt institutions on the planet that they don't believe in in the first place and don't want forced down their neck? You can add to this the fact that it had no relation to football whatsoever as well.

:spoton:

I never booed so basically I was forced to respect someone who I don't know and doesn't know me, but thinks I deserve to be tortured for eternity for not thinking like them.

:facepalm:

Nice username aswell. :lol:

q

What are your views on Phil Anderton?

Exactly, just because there are a lot of Catholic Celtic fans which is no relation to football they decided it was appropriate. If a few muslims turned up to a Hearts game would they expect us to have something appropriate planned to satisfy their beliefs.

:spoton:

I never booed so basically I was forced to respect someone who I don't know and doesn't know me, but thinks I deserve to be tortured for eternity for not thinking like them.

:facepalm:

Nice username aswell. :lol:

I stayed outside until the match kicked off in order to avoid it, not that it did me any good in hindsight.

By the same logic, why should Hibs fans be forced to peacefully observe something for a person who tried to takeover their club and effectively close it down? Or Celtic fans for Remembrance Day.

Why? Because it's about showing a bit of respect for the fact that someone has died. You don't have to do anything. If you don't respect the person who has died or have reasons to dislike the person then you can stand their in silence and do nothing. Booing a minute's silence is always pathetic IMO and it was embarrassing when Hearts fans booed the Pope, just like it was with Hibs fans and Mercer.

And, if you feel incredibly strongly about it (to the point that you're are so outraged that you have to boo) then you can always enter the ground one minute later. You are not forced to be there and observe it.

Fozzyonthefence

Just saw the video (albeit from a couple of years ago) with Celtic fans singing during a minutes silence on remembrance sunday. A bit late now but i'd never seen it and even Peter Lawell shook his head at it. Disgrace of a club.

Presumably you think the same about Hearts fans then, if disrespecting a minute's silence is the guage of this? And don't come out with the there shouldn't have been a minute's silence for the Pope stance - that's exactly what the Celtic apologists will say about having to observe Remembrance Sunday. Both sets of fans disgraced their clubs on these days, although I agree that Celtic fans do it on a more regular basis, but we really need to get our own house in order.

From my recollection, there was a bit of noise at the other semi but the kind you get when fans are entering a stadium during a minute's silence not knowing what's happening, make a noise, then get told to shut up by those already inside. I don't think it was the kind of concerted booing that some of our support produced.

Dundee United changed their name from Dundee Hibernians nearly a century ago. I think the choice of name "United" might signify something of the intention behind the change. Maybe in another century nobody will be bothered about any of that stuff.

Those of us who live in Edinburgh know that, whatever else they are (generally deluded people who know little about football), the Hibs support are not drawn from a particular religious or ethnic group.

By the same logic, why should Hibs fans be forced to peacefully observe something for a person who tried to takeover their club and effectively close it down? Or Celtic fans for Remembrance Day.

Why? Because it's about showing a bit of respect for the fact that someone has died. You don't have to do anything. If you don't respect the person who has died or have reasons to dislike the person then you can stand their in silence and do nothing. Booing a minute's silence is always pathetic IMO and it was embarrassing when Hearts fans booed the Pope, just like it was with Hibs fans and Mercer.

And, if you feel incredibly strongly about it (to the point that you're are so outraged that you have to boo) then you can always enter the ground one minute later. You are not forced to be there and observe it.

Or you just don't observe the silence since you don't want to. Those who want to remain silent and think of the person can.

With regards to the original post, whats the most annoying is the fact sky turned down the volume .. media bias?? NEVER. Hearts were talked about the world over for that but let me guess, celtic werent at all ... because the world never knew it happened as is was silenced out.

Maybe its a bit different as Rememberence is about the soliders that have fallen from our country defending our country rather than a religious figure. But I don't think either needs to be done at football match, certainly when theres several opportunities to pay respects if you want to at various services. But it annoys me how there 'crime' was swept under the carpet, as usual

If something similar was to happen at again with regards to a religious figure i again won't stay silent for the sake of it as I shouldnt have to if I dont want to and if noise doesnt allow those who want to stay silent and think about the person and are distracted then they can always have a minute silence in their house when they know they won't be interupted. I don't see why I should have to do something I don't believe in, especially when those who do believe in it can find time, and special services to do so if they want with other people who also want to do so. And football games sometimes start early, start late, if its an away game you don't always know where your seat is, I'm never going to wait outside to try and time my arrival so I miss a minutes silence when im there to see the game.

P.s If its a minutes silence to respect a football figure connected to a club thats playing then that is more than appropriate I think

I don't see why I should have to do something I don't believe in,

Is that, the unwillingness to show respect, not a bit self-centred?

Staying silent for a minute, how hard can it be?

Was that against Celtic at Hampden?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Celtic have way more problems than either they or most in the media will dare admit, but public statements from both the CEO and manager condemning these songs is a positive move.

forthriverjambo

was that preceded by 30 Years of being told to keep religion out of football

better still, keep football out of religion.

Remember when Celtic fans ruined a minutes silence for the Queen Mum?

Eck,

Tit for tat attitude that means the problem will never be eradicated.

Eck,

Tit for tat attitude that means the problem will never be eradicated.

I just want to make sure that if we're going to lambast the behaviour of our own fans, that we don't forget that we're not the only ones to ruin a silence in this manner.

ManxandCapeTownJambo

I just want to make sure that if we're going to lambast the behaviour of our own fans, that we don't forget that we're not the only ones to ruin a silence in this manner.

Did you not see the title of this thread?

Did you not see the title of this thread?

I did.

I also saw someone else move the debate onto the Semi Final silence, so I thought it'd be pertinent to this debate to move it back onto it's orignal topic :thumbsup:

childabuse.jpg

Maybe so, but when the next pope goes, I'd like to think that people seriously consider the consequences (and special nuances of Scottish football/society/media) to the repuation of Heart of Midlothian Football Club than acting like..well...

Phil Anderton's press release straight after the game made it quite clear which way the football club expected the fans to conduct themsleves.

c.90% acted as expected, unfortunately so did the other 10. Which got the more headlines and how is the club now perceived?

Maybe so, but when the next pope goes, I'd like to think that people seriously consider the consequences (and special nuances of Scottish football/society/media) to the repuation of Heart of Midlothian Football Club than acting like..well...

Phil Anderton's press release straight after the game made it quite clear which way the football club expected the fans to conduct themsleves.

c.90% acted as expected, unfortunately so did the other 10. Which got the more headlines and how is the club now perceived?

When Benedict passes away, I'd like to think that the SFA will appreciate that he means nothing to a large population of the football going public in this country and that a minutes silence at a football match is thoroughly unwarranted and inappropriate.

William H. Bonney

When Benedict passes away, I'd like to think that the SFA will appreciate that he means nothing to a large population of the football going public in this country and that a minutes silence at a football match is thoroughly unwarranted and inappropriate.

I agree. Fifa insist that no team displays any insignia with political or religious connotations yet we are asked to respect many people who fall into these catogeries. Sept 11th and rememberance day aside, leave these silences out of football.

Its a very difficult call for them to make.

You could go down the respect for football only route, but the Dunblane massacre silence at Tynie was probably the most emotional one Ive ever attended - anywhere.

You could go down the respect for football only route, but the Dunblane massacre silence at Tynie was probably the most emotional one Ive ever attended - anywhere.

Disasters and massacres, then fair enough.

Political and religious figures? Nah.

Guest Dipped Flake

If we are asked to respect a minutes silence then we respect it, end of story. Heart of Midlothian Football Club asked all Hearts fans to respect the silence for the Pope but some just couldn't act like human beings for one minute. Did it shame my club, no, as the club did everything they could. Did it shame the ones who booed, I very much doubt it as they probably saw it as giving 2 fingers to catholics and chugged themselves over it at night.

If we are asked to respect a minutes silence then we respect it, end of story. Heart of Midlothian Football Club asked all Hearts fans to respect the silence for the Pope but some just couldn't act like human beings for one minute. Did it shame my club, no, as the club did everything they could. Did it shame the ones who booed, I very much doubt it as they probably saw it as giving 2 fingers to catholics and chugged themselves over it at night.

I booed that day :ninja:

First of all, I don't think there should be a minute's silence at a Scottish football match for a Pope.

But, if the decision goes against you, and there is a silence for a papal death, what choice would you make about how to deal with it?

1. Bring shame on the club (which the club clearly does not want) by making an audible protest

2. Comply with the silence and protect the reputation of the club you support (that might include sitting quietly, going late to the game to avoid the silence, not going to the game at all)

Presumably you think the same about Hearts fans then, if disrespecting a minute's silence is the guage of this? And don't come out with the there shouldn't have been a minute's silence for the Pope stance - that's exactly what the Celtic apologists will say about having to observe Remembrance Sunday. Both sets of fans disgraced their clubs on these days, although I agree that Celtic fans do it on a more regular basis, but we really need to get our own house in order.

Difference is though, The Pope is only a recognised figure to catholics and how many of the people there that day were actually catholic. A lot of Celtic fans only claim they are to stir up trouble. Difference with remembrance day is because that honours the people who thought for our country. Most Celtic fans who attend games are Scottish so why should they believe against it. Another thing that contradicts Celtic fans is they are against honouring troops who defended out country against the Nazi regime, however, they have connections with St Pauli who are a strictly anti fascist team. Just doesn't add up. St Pauli are also totally against anything that Neo-Nazis stand for and any other type of fascism, e.g. SDL, BNP etc.

I did.

I also saw someone else move the debate onto the Semi Final silence, so I thought it'd be pertinent to this debate to move it back onto it's orignal topic :thumbsup:

Correct.

The semi-final debacle raises it's head again!

People will have their views on it and the same arguments will be trotted out...again!

Do we really need to go over it time and again?

Let's talk about the silence at the Rangers/Motherwell game the day before....oh,that's right,there wasn't one because the authorities made a sensible decision to save one of the old firm terrible exposure.

Hearts?.....**** them!

Done up like a kipper!

Correct.

The semi-final debacle raises it's head again!

People will have their views on it and the same arguments will be trotted out...again!

Do we really need to go over it time and again?

Let's talk about the silence at the Rangers/Motherwell game the day before....oh,that's right,there wasn't one because the authorities made a sensible decision to save one of the old firm terrible exposure.

Hearts?.....**** them!

Done up like a kipper!

If anyone starts a thread Celtic - Scum; Celtic - disgrace or whatever someone will always bring up getting our house in order and then it all goes around again.

I strongly believe that we now focus so much on hating Celtic, we miss what football is really about. Getting behind your own team.

Oh and booing a minutes silence isn't especially when the players, management, board and vast majority of fans were embarrassed by what went on that day.

Celtic used it to their advantage as well by getting off to a quick start. Our players were still shaking their heads in disbelief.

But stick to your* principles and all that....

* Boab - By your, I meant as a generalisation and not you as an individual.

If anyone starts a thread Celtic - Scum; Celtic - disgrace or whatever someone will always bring up getting our house in order and then it all goes around again.

I strongly believe that we now focus so much on hating Celtic, we miss what football is really about. Getting behind your own team.

Oh and booing a minutes silence isn't especially when the players, management, board and vast majority of fans were embarrassed by what went on that day.

Celtic used it to their advantage as well by getting off to a quick start. Our players were still shaking their heads in disbelief.

But stick to your* principles and all that....

* Boab - By your, I meant as a generalisation and not you as an individual.

I hear what you're saying,mate and agree that the Celtic threads are tiresome.I just feel that we'll always be an easy target and when you think of the s**t the old firm have been getting up to over the years it's a disgrace.I'm not pushing for people to agree with me on this issue but will not change my mind on us being set up.

Everyone and their dog knew what was going to happen that day.We were discussing it before the game with some Celtic supporting mates of mine and everyone of them to a man knew what we knew....it was a disaster waiting to happen.Hope none of them were among the thousands singing "dirty orange ********" after the 23 sec silence!:rolleyes:

Archived