Dunfermline close stand (HNC)

heartsfc_fan

Mind you these teams have 12,000 and 10,000 seater stadiums respectively that were no doubt developed at a time when there was the stupid "Must have a 10K seater stadium in the SPL" rule. Same with Livingston.

Considering Dunfermline and St Johnstone only manage about 3,000 or 4,000 people every home match, I guess closing a stand does make a bit of sense. I just think it's a bit of a kick in the baws if you purchased a season ticket in said stand in the summer and now you are getting told to move :unsure:

Things must be grim if they are doing this to save ?20k per season or just over ?1k per league game, mind you, at least they can pay their players.

That struck me too.

Seems a drastic measure to save ?20k.

Which stand is it in relation to the away end?

It's the smaller looking one running the length of the pitch.

Sexton Hardcastle

The Ross County chairman was saying they have plans in place to upgrade their ground to 6,500 seats if they come up.

Guest Dipped Flake

It's only the wee stand opposite the old main stand that they are closing. It probably only has about a hundred fans in it most games and this is where their 'Ultras!!!!' stand and where any trouble comes from. The group of fans there have been carrying on a campaign of standing at games so I think DAFC have taken the easy option and just decided to shut it down.

Hannibal Lecter

Makes perfect sense from a financial point of view especially in the current climate. Why not shut a stand if your other ones can more than support the additional people. Bit pointless to outlay money you don't need to, even if it is only ?20k a year.

I would be interested to know what this does to the atmosphere.

Empty stand, bad thing. down.gif.

People bunched together making noise, good thing.thumbsup.gif

Matthew Le Tissier

When Saints were in the finacial shit we shut 3 of the 4 corners at St Marys. Even now alot of clubs shut stands off for cup games.

Dunfermline wear black and white, so why are the seats in their stadium all red? :interesting:

They might as well close a stand. The stadium holds 12,000 and they only got about 5k when we were there. Why have 4 stands open when the stadium is half empty? Makes no sense.

Hoping our Killie chairman doesn't get ideas with this. Although it almost certainly would make sense for us. Just nice having fans in all four stands - even if a few of them are sparse.

The financial aspect of this is a smokescreen. This has been on the cards for a while due to the non-conforming behaviour of those using it. There have been complaints from other fans about people standing throughout games, racist abuse (the main issue), other forms of abuse, etc & Dunfermline actually sent letters out to all ST holders saying that if things didn't improve then they would close the stand without hesitation. Looks like that time has come.

Pretty gd idea. It annoyd me at murrayfield that we allowed people to buy seats in the upper tier. Imo it should only have only been open once sold out. All fan put together is sure much better than empty gaps

Pretty gd idea. It annoyd me at murrayfield that we allowed people to buy seats in the upper tier. Imo it should only have only been open once sold out. All fan put together is sure much better than empty gaps

Didn't work against STJ in teh SC last year at Tynie

We are skint but so are they. They are making less money than they were in the 1st Division and I believe around the time we played them they were desperately paying cheques they had received into the bank before it closed so they clear as soon as possible or they would not be enough of an available balance to pay their bills.

I don't know if it's possible or not but Dunfermline should look to give the whole stand to the Old Firm as this would bring in an extra ?20k per game versus the Old Firm.

I think you can access the North Stand "home" turnstiles from the coach park at the back of that stand, so all they have to do is put segregation fence up between the North stands traditional "home" turnstiles and the Norrie turnstiles.

Rangers brought 4500+ earlier in the season, getting the East Stand, a quarter of the main stand and half the North stand, i don't think Rangers or Celtic would have a problem selling another 1000, especially if the gap closes this season and even in future seasons, they (Dunfermline) are guaranteed 3 visits from the Old Firm, which is an extra ?70k per season as well as this 20k per season they are saving atm. I don't think it would be too much hassle to get the stand matchday operational for these games.

Dunfermline wear black and white, so why are the seats in their stadium all red? :interesting:

They might as well close a stand. The stadium holds 12,000 and they only got about 5k when we were there. Why have 4 stands open when the stadium is half empty? Makes no sense.

Because red seats were cheapest at the time of construction.

Proof that the old 10,000 seat rule was an absolute apocalypse of an idea, designed with zero foresight, zero consideration for smaller clubs and 100% Old Firm/TV compliance.

We really have had a succession of incompetent fools running our game.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Was it not Aber green that were saved from relegation due to this ridiculous 10,000 seater rule and now we've got clubs having to shut ******* stands to survive?

Pisses me right off that.

The rule also helped kill Gretna who were forced to play home games at Motherwell at a great cost and which resulted I. An even smaller support Thant what they would have got if they actually played at home.

The rule also helped kill Gretna who were forced to play home games at Motherwell at a great cost and which resulted I. An even smaller support Thant what they would have got if they actually played at home.

Gretna's ground (Raydale Park) was a shmables for SPL though, run-down, 2200 (mostly terraceing) capacity that would have cost a fortune to redevelop and the stadium and surrounding infrastructure was non SPL complient in a lot of ways.

Motherwell/Hamilton were the only realistic options for them.

This is just the first step in Neil Doncaster master-plan of playing Scottish football on triangular pitches to revive interest in the game.

Considering Dunfermline and St Johnstone only manage about 3,000 or 4,000 people every home match, I guess closing a stand does make a bit of sense. I just think it's a bit of a kick in the baws if you purchased a season ticket in said stand in the summer and now you are getting told to move :unsure:

To be fair to Dunfermline, I think their average gate last season in the first division was higher than it's been so far in the SPL. To me, that sends out a worrying statement about top flight football in Scotland.

Gretna's ground (Raydale Park) was a shmables for SPL though, run-down, 2200 (mostly terraceing) capacity that would have cost a fortune to redevelop and the stadium and surrounding infrastructure was non SPL complient in a lot of ways.

Rydale was a non-starter, but I couldn't understand why they weren't given some dispensation to play their games at Dumfries (sorry, I forget the name of Queen of the Souths ground). I didn't get the Gretna love in, but nonetheless the beginning of the demise of that small club can be attributed to the ground share, so the SPL has blood on its hands.

Not so, they had Carlisle right on their doorstep, typical Scottish football decision to ignore the obvious and make the club suffer by dragging them up to the central belt, dont start on Carlisle is in England as so is Berwick. Anyway we have much more in common with Cumbria down this was than we do with the central belt.

To be fair to Dunfermline, I think their average gate last season in the first division was higher than it's been so far in the SPL. To me, that sends out a worrying statement about top flight football in Scotland.

A Pars supporting mate said their average was up this season (purely down to away crowds) but the number of fans in the home end has decreased.

Hannibal Lecter

The higher gates is maybe down to the fact that they were winning more games by sitting top end of the table last season than they are this one, albeit in a lower league. Football fans can be fickle, when teams are winning and playing well more people go along to watch them.

Not so, they had Carlisle right on their doorstep, typical Scottish football decision to ignore the obvious and make the club suffer by dragging them up to the central belt, dont start on Carlisle is in England as so is Berwick. Anyway we have much more in common with Cumbria down this was than we do with the central belt.

I never even considered that Alan. Goes without saying that Carlise would have been a better option still.

A Pars supporting mate said their average was up this season (purely down to away crowds) but the number of fans in the home end has decreased.

As posted on another thread, do you think a "10-10" SPL* would help teams like Dunfermline?

* i.e. an SPL set up where 20 teams are split in to 10 team SPL A and 10 team SPL B. They play each other home and away before Christmas with relegation promotion from SPL A to B at then end Then play again home and away and the winner is who has the best total over the year.

I'm thinking a set up like this will allow a team's like Dunfermline to have half a season winning in an SPL B league, but also have the chance to play the the big teams in the SPL A.

The higher gates is maybe down to the fact that they were winning more games by sitting top end of the table last season than they are this one, albeit in a lower league. Football fans can be fickle, when teams are winning and playing well more people go along to watch them.

Don't disagree with that. Which begs the question, what is Hearts secret given our attendances are bucking the trend slightly despite the product being in decline? I doubt our hardcore support now has changed that much.

As posted on another thread, do you think a "10-10" SPL* would help teams like Dunfermline?

* i.e. an SPL set up where 20 teams are split in to 10 team SPL A and 10 team SPL B. They play each other home and away before Christmas with relegation promotion from SPL A to B at then end Then play again home and away and the winner is who has the best total over the year.

I'm thinking a set up like this will allow a team's like Dunfermline to have half a season winning in an SPL B league, but also have the chance to play the the big teams in the SPL A.

Decent idea actually

Hannibal Lecter

Don't disagree with that. Which begs the question, what is Hearts secret given our attendances are bucking the trend slightly despite the product being in decline? I doubt our hardcore support now has changed that much.

That we must be gluttings for punishment? :duck:

Archived