Congratulations Ireland (NHC)

Ross21

I know people might slate me & call me a Tim, but believe me im far from it! My family are part-Irish & alot of my football team & just generally delighted for them! Massive achievement

Captain Lithuania

I know people might slate me & call me a Tim, but believe me im far from it! My family are part-Irish & alot of my football team & just generally delighted for them! Massive achievement

Good to see a home nation (or someone remotely close to Scotland) apart from England doing well. Hope they go far.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Agreed.

Great to see the Irish mix it up a bit. Though I would not have minded at all if Estonia had managed to get through.

MacDonald Jardine

Good to see a home nation (or someone remotely close to Scotland) apart from England doing well. Hope they go far.

In what way are they a home nation?

Not sure what it is that Ireland have, but they do seem to give it a better shot than we do. Especially considering the competition from other sports.

Lack of a high profile league, meaning that the majority of their talented youngsters move to EPL acadamies?

Sergio Garcia

I quite like the majority of the Irish players, a place I love to visit and always a good laugh.

I'm glad they went through.

southside1874

Not sure what it is that Ireland have, but they do seem to give it a better shot than we do. Especially considering the competition from other sports.

Lack of a high profile league, meaning that the majority of their talented youngsters move to EPL acadamies?

They have their nation getting behind them!!

kingantti1874

Given their nasty habit of deliberately stealing Scottish players - and because I hate Aiden mcgeady - I have to say I will enjoy seeing them horsed out at the earliest opportunity...

I met my wife in Ireland while me and some mates were over there during the 94 World Cup. I wore a Hearts top all over the place and the locals all wanted to thank Gary MacKay for his goal that helped them qualify for Euro 88 with his goal against Bulgaria.

In 2 weeks I got hassled by one guy for wearing a Hearts strip - he was a weegie scumbag.

Ireland and the Irish are not the Celtic fans that we all know so well.

We're no in it,hope England do well(but not too well!)as i've got more than one wager on it but ultimately hope Spain wipe the floor with everyone,the Irish included.

SectionDJambo

Writeup about the Gary Mackay goal and even a video of it here:

http://www.soccer-ireland.com/irish-qualifying-campaigns/euro-1988.htm

They all really believed that the whole Irish journey through to the World Cup finals in 94 was down to Gary MacKay getting their ball rolling.

I remember a few years ago, being in York visiting family. We went out for a meal at night, and the place was busy with punters from the Races. My boys had their Hearts tops on. This random Irish guy spotted them and shouted out " Gary Mackay - Hurray ". Was really surprised that over 10 years since Gary had scored that goal, that an Irishman still remembered and connected a Hearts top to it.

The Irish have, mostly, moved on from all the nonsense that we still see in this country. I see nothing to dislike, but plenty to try to emulate, football success wise, since we are both small countries in footballing terms.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Just to be pedantic, well done to the Republic of Ireland.

Now stop nicking our players....

As my mum is an UK passport holding Irish woman, I'll have 2 teams to look out for, my brother and his family live in The Netherlands, one kid born here the other there, so I agree, well done the Irish.

Well done Ireland. Got a few Irish mates so I'm genuinely delighted for them. Hope they get england in their group and absolutely horse them!

I completely agree with the last part of your post. And as my Mother and the majority of my relatives are from Dublin: Well done to the Republic.

I met my wife in Ireland while me and some mates were over there during the 94 World Cup. I wore a Hearts top all over the place and the locals all wanted to thank Gary MacKay for his goal that helped them qualify for Euro 88 with his goal against Bulgaria.

In 2 weeks I got hassled by one guy for wearing a Hearts strip - he was a weegie scumbag.

Ireland and the Irish are not the Celtic fans that we all know so well.

jamboinglasgow

Just to be pedantic, well done to the Republic of Ireland.

Now stop nicking our players....

Thats why I find it hard to support them at the moment, I am half-Northern Irish and the way they have taken so many good Northern Irish players due to a technicality in the Good Friday agreement is bullying. I can accept countries taking players from bigger countries but to keep taking the best players from a country a quarter of your size is just bullying.

I like Irish people though, love Republic of Ireland the country but just uneasy supporting the team for the above reason.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Some interesting results tonight.

Germany turn over Holland 3 - 0, Uruguay beat Italy in their own back yard and .... Costa Rica draw with Spain. :blink:

In what way are they a home nation?

They aren't (well, unless you're me, if you know what I mean).

We'll have a couple of big evenings to look forward to next summer.

It's nice, especially after what happened in Paris.

:)

Kalamazoo Jambo

They aren't (well, unless you're me, if you know what I mean).

We'll have a couple of big evenings to look forward to next summer.

It's nice, especially after what happened in Paris.

:)

Congratulations, Uly :thumbsup:

:facepalm:

No more of this nonsense please.

sorry but why, never have liked them never will..... there a rival nation to me, so stuff them :thumbsup:

As long as they now shut the feck up about Thierry Henry's handball costing them a place at the WC Finals. I've yet to hear an Irishman admit that they were never actually in the lead at any stage in those two games and were severely under the cosh when France scored. Instead it's all, "we would have been there if it wasn't for Henry" which is total bollox!

There are some Scots' fans that remain bitter about the dive that cost us a play off place from a WINNING position but most of us accept we were lucky Adam wasn't penalised in the first half and a point was the MOST we deserved from that game.

Rant over...Good luck to Ireland and England. The more foreigners I meet the more I realise I actually like the English!

I can't think of anything that will annoy Celtic fans more than Jambos getting behind Ireland as our celtic cousins.

like it!

I hope they get hammered in every game.. Since that is not going to happen i will be happy to see them put out after the group stages.. preferable after a few dodgy decisions against them..

Thats why I find it hard to support them at the moment, I am half-Northern Irish and the way they have taken so many good Northern Irish players due to a technicality in the Good Friday agreement is bullying. I can accept countries taking players from bigger countries but to keep taking the best players from a country a quarter of your size is just bullying.

I like Irish people though, love Republic of Ireland the country but just uneasy supporting the team for the above reason.

You must have a problem with rugby then.

I must ring Ban Ki-moon and let him know about the new country.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You must have a problem with rugby then.

I must ring Ban Ki-moon and let him know about the new country.

:wtfvlad:

Jack Charlton really is dumb.

Did more with a country like Ireland than any Scottish manager has done in my 40-odd years. Can't be too daft.

Archived