Some of the Under 19s to go out on loan

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

On the offical site, Darren Murray saying they are hoping to put the best 3 or 4 Under 19s who he thinks could make the step up to the first side from January on loan to get them the first team experience. And they hoping to get it done this week. Also feels some have been in the 19s for 3 years and getting tired of it so it pushes them into the next level.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20111115/loan-opportunities_2241384_2516826

I imagine the four will be Jason Holt, Jamie Walker, David Smith and Fraser Mullen.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Interesting stuff anyway... Just wish McGowan, Robinson, McHattie Novikovas etc had seen some more action so far this season and last... If the kids are our future then a wee bit more experience for the class that graduated in the school years before these young guns would have helped IMO. :(

Interesting stuff anyway... Just wish McGowan, Robinson, McHattie Novikovas etc had seen some more action so far this season and last... If the kids are our future then a wee bit more experience for the class that graduated in the school years before these young guns would have helped IMO. :(

I agree though McHattie is still in the U19s and is in the same group as Holt, Walker etc.

Charlie-Brown

Clearly preparation for first team action is being put ahead of any thoughts of pursuing the U19 title - as it should be of course but perhaps the U19's results might fall back a bit if the best players are playing elsewhere ie our first team or somebody elses.

Come January, I can see Kickback turning its page and having "Chapter 8 - just what did they do at the academy?" period.

I think its a great credit to myself that I can type the above on Kickback.

this move suggests to me that from jan that those players who are not going to be offered new contracts will be phased out and the younger players will get more opportunities

jamboinglasgow

Clearly preparation for first team action is being put ahead of any thoughts of pursuing the U19 title - as it should be of course but perhaps the U19's results might fall back a bit if the best players are playing elsewhere ie our first team or somebody elses.

Darren Murray said as much, he said that while it would be great to win the league the aim is to bring through the players ready for the first team. Said he spoke to under 19s yesterday and said they were disappointed about Saturday and now want to win the league, DM said to them (when mentioning loans) that what would they rather win the league or play in the first team this season. Said they all said first team.

DM also talked about some of the fringe players on loan, DM was saying that he spoke to John Robertson who says that Robert Ogleby has been doing exceptionally well, and also spoke to Lee Makel who has been impressed with Jordon Morton.

Footballfirst

If it can happen, it will be in the best long term interests of the club and the players.

The academy would also see the longer term benefit as the effects would ripple down through all the age groups. The current U19 side is an "experienced" squad with 8 or so second year U19s playing most weeks. It will allow the development of the best of the U17s into the U19s side as Darren Murray prepares a side for next season. 1st year U19s such as Billy King, George Scott, Michael Thomson and Dale Carrick would get more game time as would the best of the U17s in Adam King, Sam Nicholson, Jordan McGee, Euan Sauderson and Marcus McMillan. More U16s could play in the U17s, Top U15s could also get a step up and so on.

This should help them progress as long as they get to play for the clubs they are going to, Arvydas wasted his time at St Johnstone last season because he never really played.

Charlie-Brown

Jason Holt, Jamie Walker, David Smith & McHattie are probably the best prospects or contenders for first team opportunities.

Jason Holt, Jamie Walker, David Smith & McHattie are probably the best prospects or contenders for first team opportunities.

I've been praising Holt for what seems an eternity,however have beem mega impressed with Fraser Mullen when i've watched the 19's this year.If he can buckle down in training he has a great chance.

Holt is one for sure which will be in this bracket

McHattie has trained with the first team alot, probably more than any other & I'd suggest he will be another one

Smith is one who is probably stagnating from playing in the 19s too much, and as he has made his first team debut id be surprised if he wasn't loaned out

Id like to see Mullen go as I think he could really push on, tho the same could be said about Walker

Hamilton has another year at 19s so won't be him

Might turn out to be good as FF has said, really give younger boys such as the Kings a real chance to shine

The Old Tolbooth

This thread is like a breath of fresh air, and if it means we need to take a few steps back in the league to bleed some of the younger players through and get them playing regularly, then so be it, it's common sense for us to push as many of the kids through as possible........at last!

Mullen, Holt, Walker and Smith have been the standouts for me for the under 19s.

Mullen reminds me of CT when he first broke into the first team tho I think Mullen has more ability.

Holt is probably the best player I have seen at this age group of all the Hearts teams I have seen over the years. In the mould of a Xavi/Iniesta type midfielder (not comparing him to them tho).

Walker has more talent in his wee toe than most of our first team will ever have. Big, big future in the game if he continues to progress and stays injury free.

Smith is probably my favourite player in the 19s, pacy, good footballer who has the engine to get up and down the park for the full 90. Was head and shoulders above anyone on the park at Easter Road on Saturday.

I would like to see McHattie getting a chance in the first team now that Grainger is sidelined by injury as I like to see players playing in a position that is natural to them and he is the only other left back at the club.

1. M. Ridgers

2. F. Mullen 4. R. McGowan 5. D. McGowan? 3. K.McHattie

6. S. Robinson 8. D. Prnychenko

7. D. Templeton 10. J. Holt 11. A. Novikovas

9. G. Smith

12. J. Hamilton

13. M. Deland

14. D. O'Hara

15. J. Stewart

16. J. Walker

17. C. Smith

18. R. Ogleby

Not for one second suggesting that all these players will go on to play for Hearts first team regularly. But if they continue developing as they have that's a reasonably bright future to look forward too.

I agree with the general concensus that this is a great idea.

However, I would be interested to see who the four are. Unless we buy a new left back then it surely cannot be McHattie, and we should be looking to give Holt some game time for the first team, not sending him away. Walker and Mullen on loan with a view to being first team squad members next season is common sense. Smith should get first team chances also.

The players I'd like us to send on loan are the defenders. They seem good ball players and intelligent footballers but they need to learn to defend, IMO. Cut out balls, sometimes kick the ball out of play, etc.. Billy King could also go on loan to see if he can cut it.

However, I would be interested to see who the four are. Unless we buy a new left back then it surely cannot be McHattie, and we should be looking to give Holt some game time for the first team, not sending him away. Walker and Mullen on loan with a view to being first team squad members next season is common sense. Smith should get first team chances also.

The players I'd like us to send on loan are the defenders. They seem good ball players and intelligent footballers but they need to learn to defend, IMO. Cut out balls, sometimes kick the ball out of play, etc.. Billy King could also go on loan to see if he can cut it.

don't see any harm in Holt going out on loan till January. He's not going to be thrown in here (Robinson would surely be ahead of him in the queue) so getting half a dozen games under his belt at a competitive level is surely sensible.

On terrace podcast they reported that Prnychenko was poor for Raith at weekend. They were expecting big things from him.

They did mention that Robbo likes Ogleby, and that Colin Cameron was planing to be without Morton after the break as he expected him to go back to Hearts due to his progress.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

This thread is like a breath of fresh air, and if it means we need to take a few steps back in the league to bleed some of the younger players through and get them playing regularly, then so be it, it's common sense for us to push as many of the kids through as possible........at last!

It really is... Been struggling to get excited about the upcoming fixtures just now after a languid period of boring games and poor results punctuated with international breaks... That win over Celtic feels like eons ago now. :(

Seeing some new talent getting a run out and watching them develop will at least give me something to look forward to on a Saturday afternoon again. :thumbsup:

don't see any harm in Holt going out on loan till January. He's not going to be thrown in here (Robinson would surely be ahead of him in the queue) so getting half a dozen games under his belt at a competitive level is surely sensible.

Robinson would only be ahead of him in the queue if he is better than Holt. I've never seen Holt but judging by what people say then he is a better prospect.

Robinson would only be ahead of him in the queue if he is better than Holt. I've never seen Holt but judging by what people say then he is a better prospect.

Robinson has started games and been on the bench nearly every week this season. Holt hasn't featured at all. It's pretty obvious who is ahead of who in the queue currently.

To be fair, you have been pushing for these guys to get fast-tracked into the 1st team for some time now which would have the same effect on the u-19s.

Anyway, it would free up room in the u19 team for a new batch of wunderkind.

1. M. Ridgers

9. G. Smith

12. J. Hamilton

13. M. Deland

14. D. O'Hara

15. J. Stewart

16. J. Walker

17. C. Smith

18. R. Ogleby

Not for one second suggesting that all these players will go on to play for Hearts first team regularly. But if they continue developing as they have that's a reasonably bright future to look forward too.

It would be ace to have a team of home-grown lads who have all come through the system but it is highly unusual for more than one or two players to really push on beyond the initial breakthrough.

We still need to be astute in the transfer market to make sure we have some established SPL-quality players as well.

On terrace podcast they reported that Prnychenko was poor for Raith at weekend. They were expecting big things from him.

I think you have to bear a few things in mind with Denis (this isn't a personal attack on what you've said btw).

He hasn't played any football for best part of 6 months & he is the sort of player who likes to get in a rhythm & then finds his real form! I know he is getting used to the different type of game (kick & run) in that league, but I think if anyone has the mental attitude towards it that's him. He's been desperate to get games on loan - I know he had offers for the Bundesliga 2. sides but Hearts wouldn't let him go!

I think you have to bear a few things in mind with Denis (this isn't a personal attack on what you've said btw).

He hasn't played any football for best part of 6 months & he is the sort of player who likes to get in a rhythm & then finds his real form! I know he is getting used to the different type of game (kick & run) in that league, but I think if anyone has the mental attitude towards it that's him. He's been desperate to get games on loan - I know he had offers for the Bundesliga 2. sides but Hearts wouldn't let him go!

No offence taken, just quoting what I heard and to be fair to them, they also said he had just come back from injury.

If any one is interested here is a link to the pod cast. http://theterraceradio.podbean.com/

jamboinglasgow

They did mention that Robbo likes Ogleby, and that Colin Cameron was planing to be without Morton after the break as he expected him to go back to Hearts due to his progress.

To be fair to Denis, that was his first competitive start since March/April. FF put it best about Denis (he said this back in the under 19 season) that he often looks poor when he has not had a game in a while and it takes a few games for him to get up to speed. Once there he will do fine.

Morton is interesting to me, I have said it before that in terms of skill and technique Morton is fantastic, he can strike a ball beautifully and is a very tricky player, the thing which held him back to me is his mental side to the game, he often seemed frustrated and his mind not on the job. If Colin Cameron has helped focus him and get him thinking correctly on a pitch then then he will be an interesting prospect for Hearts, if in January we put Driver on loan and try to sell Templeton then I can see him coming back and into contention. But I would caution people to give him a chance as I think he can be a player who will split opinion and sometimes annoy the supporters with his play.

1. M. Ridgers

9. G. Smith

12. J. Hamilton

13. M. Deland

14. D. O'Hara

15. J. Stewart

16. J. Walker

17. C. Smith

18. R. Ogleby

Just a small point, I know, but has Deland not been released?

jamboinglasgow

Yes, he was released in the summer. Also I think by C. Smith he means David Smith.

It's not really a small point though, is it.

People are putting together their fantasy line-ups and are including players that are no longer with the club. From that I can only assume they do not watch these guys play most weeks (if any) and from THAT I assume they are excited because they just happen to be young. Not a good enough reason IMO.

You get 2 players from the current batch making an impact (and eventually making us decent money when we sell them on) then that will be an achievement.

Charlie-Brown

It's not really a small point though, is it.

People are putting together their fantasy line-ups and are including players that are no longer with the club. From that I can only assume they do not watch these guys play most weeks (if any) and from THAT I assume they are excited because they just happen to be young. Not a good enough reason IMO.

You get 2 players from the current batch making an impact (and eventually making us decent money when we sell them on) then that will be an achievement.

The primary purpose of the Academy is to provide players for Hearts first team squad. If any of them go on to become international players or earn the club a good transfer fee then that is a bonus but first and foremost it's to be a source of supply of players for us.

In our current first team squad & on the books we've got Jamie MacDonald, Eggert Jonsson, Andy Driver, Calum Elliot, Jason Thomson, David Templeton, Ryan McGowan, Scott Robinson, Gordon Smith & Arvydas Novikovas who all played in our youth team and subsequently the first team and between them have amassed a large number of appearance. We recently also sold Lee Wallace who was also in that category.

That doesn't include the like of Holt, Walker, McHattie, D.Smith, Mullen, Prychynenko, Ridgers, Ogleby, Morton & others who have yet to break through and might get a chance to become first team players.

We're doing okay I think. :)

Apologies, I misread the OP. I thought it referred to them going on loan from January. Having read it again it says that they would go on loan with a view to being available for the first team from January. Big difference and this big difference means complete buy in from bighusref. :thumbsup:

itsnomarooned

I've been praising Holt for what seems an eternity,however have beem mega impressed with Fraser Mullen when i've watched the 19's this year.If he can buckle down in training he has a great chance.

The implication here is that he [Mullen] doesn't have a great attitude to training. Is that the case or am I misreading?

However, I would be interested to see who the four are. Unless we buy a new left back then it surely cannot be McHattie

It appears to me that successive managers have used the same set of players and, no matter who is injured or suspended. they have managed to fit them all into whatever position is necessary. I don't think McHattie will play even though Grainger is out. This is a complete guess but I'm basing it on what has happened in previous matches. Jonsson/McGowan will be slotted in to the necessary positions, be that left back, right back or centre back.

It appears to me that successive managers have used the same set of players and, no matter who is injured or suspended. they have managed to fit them all into whatever position is necessary. I don't think McHattie will play even though Grainger is out. This is a complete guess but I'm basing it on what has happened in previous matches. Jonsson/McGowan will be slotted in to the necessary positions, be that left back, right back or centre back.

It's a funny one isn't it. We definitely have one of, if not the best, academies in Scotland. Our league positions and Scotland caps at youth football bears that out. But the last few season have seen little impact.

We've had 3 managers who appear to like to promote youths, especially in Csaba and JJ who have very succesful histories in that respect, but none of them seem to be willing to chuck a couple of lads in.

It's easy to forget that the likes of Driver, Eggy, Clum and Wallace (rip) are all only around the 23 mark. Under Csaba and JJ's earlier months, these were still very young pros. They had all broken into the team at very very young ages though and probably seem like fully fledged pros to us now (something they should be nearer now certainly, but not 2 years ago). Temps is only a few months younger than Eggy too.

A couple of years ago we had one of the youngest teams in the SPL (I think only Hamilton were consistently younger, though could be proved wrong). The thing is, it's a while since we actually promoted anyone who has made an impact.

I just don't accept that this is down to a lack of quality or readiness. I think Csaba and JJ had the weight of an inexperienced team and wanted to get the right guys in place before putting youths in beside them. Csaba then threw a couple to the lions in what was no more than a political move. I think JJ was taking his time and thought he'd got the right players in the summer to accomodate some youth and I think had he stayed we'd be seeing more of Robinson and Holt.

We simply need to have more confidence in these lads. WIthout a reserve league, it's sink or swim and that's not great, but what would be worse would be not to let them have a go at all.

I've only seen him live once, but Holt would appear from many many reports both on here and in the media to be the hottest prospect of his year in Scottish football. That he's had only 15 mins in a nothing game is a bit ridiculous. Especially as he plays for a club who are missing midfield drive, something he appears to excel at.

It's a funny one isn't it. We definitely have one of, if not the best, academies in Scotland. Our league positions and Scotland caps at youth football bears that out. But the last few season have seen little impact.

We've had 3 managers who appear to like to promote youths, especially in Csaba and JJ who have very succesful histories in that respect, but none of them seem to be willing to chuck a couple of lads in.

It's easy to forget that the likes of Driver, Eggy, Clum and Wallace (rip) are all only around the 23 mark. Under Csaba and JJ's earlier months, these were still very young pros. They had all broken into the team at very very young ages though and probably seem like fully fledged pros to us now (something they should be nearer now certainly, but not 2 years ago). Temps is only a few months younger than Eggy too.

A couple of years ago we had one of the youngest teams in the SPL (I think only Hamilton were consistently younger, though could be proved wrong). The thing is, it's a while since we actually promoted anyone who has made an impact.

I just don't accept that this is down to a lack of quality or readiness. I think Csaba and JJ had the weight of an inexperienced team and wanted to get the right guys in place before putting youths in beside them. Csaba then threw a couple to the lions in what was no more than a political move. I think JJ was taking his time and thought he'd got the right players in the summer to accomodate some youth and I think had he stayed we'd be seeing more of Robinson and Holt.

We simply need to have more confidence in these lads. WIthout a reserve league, it's sink or swim and that's not great, but what would be worse would be not to let them have a go at all.

I've only seen him live once, but Holt would appear from many many reports both on here and in the media to be the hottest prospect of his year in Scottish football. That he's had only 15 mins in a nothing game is a bit ridiculous. Especially as he plays for a club who are missing midfield drive, something he appears to excel at.

I think that the strategy of consistent signings of journeyman players in the past 4 years or so has been a very poor one when there has also been so much money spent on the Academy. Nothing wrong with signing a Skacel/Webster to add experience and ability but more about the waste of time in signing players like Hamill or Grainger who are already at the peak of their careers.

Look at top players at top clubs such as Darren Fletcher and Steven Gerrard. Even with their level of ability it took a huge number of games before they really started to shine and bed into the team.

The journeyman strategy at Hearts has been so short-sighted. If the club had the courage to back the judgements on some of the young players - and give them 40 games over 2-3 seasons from the age of say 18 to get them experience - we would do better in my opinion than in signing players like we did this summer.

Charlie-Brown

There will be more of a connection between the young lads and the fans and we know that we will have to give them our full backing and support. The darkest hour is just before the dawn. :thumbsup:

Footballfirst

The implication here is that he [Mullen] doesn't have a great attitude to training. Is that the case or am I misreading?

Quite the reverse, he would play or train 24 hours a day if he got the chance.

I think Meadows is alluding to him having surprisingly been left on the bench for a couple of games following the defeat against St Johnstone, despite him having been Hearts best player that day. I've no idea what may or may not have been said following that game.

Either way he has been terrific in his last couple of games with the U19s, so it hasn't done him any harm.

I think that the strategy of consistent signings of journeyman players in the past 4 years or so has been a very poor one when there has also been so much money spent on the Academy. Nothing wrong with signing a Skacel/Webster to add experience and ability but more about the waste of time in signing players like Hamill or Grainger who are already at the peak of their careers.

Look at top players at top clubs such as Darren Fletcher and Steven Gerrard. Even with their level of ability it took a huge number of games before they really started to shine and bed into the team.

The journeyman strategy at Hearts has been so short-sighted. If the club had the courage to back the judgements on some of the young players - and give them 40 games over 2-3 seasons from the age of say 18 to get them experience - we would do better in my opinion than in signing players like we did this summer.

How much of that is down to the fans and their impatience?

We want signings.

We want more signings.

This season we have 5 new signings. Was it worth it?

My mate's a Cowdenbeath fan. Fans have been disappointed with him. East Fife away the other week was his best game supposedly.

He wasn't impressed with what he seen of Ogelby.

How much of that is down to the fans and their impatience?

We want signings.

We want more signings.

This season we have 5 new signings. Was it worth it?

I don't think it has anything to do with the fans to be honest.

The constant turnover of managers plus the influence of the owner has meant a constant stream of players coming in and meaning that there have not been opportunities for young players.

Since 2002 or so the better strategy for Hearts would have been to reign in the wage bill and invest in developing young players - and then trust them to play (with a few old heads of course). Otherwise instead of having a youth policy a setup where the club only brought in journeyman players for a year or two at a time could have made sense. Basically to follow Wallace Mercer's early strategies. Instead there has been a Cup win and some other high points as a result of the ?50m overspend on players. But it has also led to the club trying to sell the stadium.

Footballfirst

The constant turnover of managers plus the influence of the owner has meant a constant stream of players coming in and meaning that there have not been opportunities for young players.

Since 2002 or so the better strategy for Hearts would have been to reign in the wage bill and invest in developing young players - and then trust them to play (with a few old heads of course). Otherwise instead of having a youth policy a setup where the club only brought in journeyman players for a year or two at a time could have made sense. Basically to follow Wallace Mercer's early strategies. Instead there has been a Cup win and some other high points as a result of the ?50m overspend on players. But it has also led to the club trying to sell the stadium.

The Pieman had just about got wages under control before Vlad took over.

Wages to turnover ratios

2004/05 - 54%

2005/06 - 102%

2006/07 - 121%

2007/08 - 124%

2008/09 - 126%

2009/10 - 115%

Charlie-Brown

Progressing our own youngsters was the best policy under Mercer in the early 80's and has never stopped being the best policy for the club to be sustainable. In the 80's we brought through Bowman, Mackay & Robertson and signed in Colquhoun, Levein & Black for low fees then later also brought through Sandison, Crabbe & Mclaren.

After that there was a bit of a gap until the likes of Johnston, Thomas, Locke, Ritchie, Naysmith, Severin batch came through but after the 1998 Cup win we stopped puting as much emphasis on our own players and prefered to go after "players who would take us to the next level" and have been losing money consistently ever since. We've still managed to bring through some very good young players over the last decade but this has to be the cornerstone of our team building not just a nice add on.

Fermit the Krog

I think JJ was taking his time and thought he'd got the right players in the summer to accomodate some youth and I think had he stayed we'd be seeing more of Robinson and Holt.

Sorry?

He added 4 SPL journeymen during the Summer to a squad that was already top heavy with average but experienced players (ie journeymen)and you somehow translate that as JJ being ready to play the younger lads.

:ermm:

The majority of the younger lads were delighted to see the back of JJ and BB.

Archived