Youngsters next season

JAMMY

As Vlad has said from next season we will be bringing in youngsters from our academy and that all the best young players in scotland will be looking to get into the hearts team.Do you think that will include us buying and young talent from other scottish clubs??

McHattie made his debut against Aberdeen but I've been disappointed that we haven't seen more of the young lads.

Snap. I couldn't think of any.

That surely has to change as we seem lethargic in that respect.

McGowan, Robinson, Novikovas, Smith, Holt and Prychenko (when he's back) all need to be given a lot more game time if we're going to have any chance of a decent season next year.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Sergio is the right man for the job. We need someone who can blend the youth with a few shrewd experienced bosman signings.

McHattie made his debut against Aberdeen but I've been disappointed that we haven't seen more of the young lads.

The problem is squad size and too many overpaid mediocre players, also keeping the more experienced happy.....not an easy job for a manager.

For squad harmony and to make it more competitive and welcoming for good young prospects we need to trim the squad....no news there.

kingantti1874

I think you are wrong. Completely wrong.

Really? Out of interest how come?I don't think we will be buying anyone either until our income exceeds our costs...

Really? Out of interest how come?I don't think we will be buying anyone either until our income exceeds our costs...

We won't be spending any transfer fees but we have still brought in new players on free transers for the last couple of years despite releasing all the high earners at the end of their contracts and cutting costs.

We have not had one single window since the arrival of Romanov that we have not brought in a new player. A lot will need to happen to make me think that will change.

I'll happily see the back of some of the high earners/more experienced players. Would like to see us give a couple of younger players a run of games. The likes of Robinson, Novi should be starting, I've been very impressed by Robinson in the games he's played in.

Out of interest does anyone know the players out of contract come the end of the season?

jamboinglasgow

I'll happily see the back of some of the high earners/more experienced players. Would like to see us give a couple of younger players a run of games. The likes of Robinson, Novi should be starting, I've been very impressed by Robinson in the games he's played in.

Out of interest does anyone know the players out of contract come the end of the season?

Janos Balogh (January)

Rudi Skacel (January)

Eggert Jonsson

Ian Black

Suso Santana

Kevin Kyle

Stephen Elliott

Callum Elliot

David Obua

Ryan Stevenson

Gary Glen

Marian Kello

Jamie McDonald

Not sure with the fringe players except Jordon Morton and Matthew Park.

Janos Balogh (January)

Rudi Skacel (January)

Eggert Jonsson

Ian Black

Suso Santana

Kevin Kyle

Stephen Elliott

Callum Elliot

David Obua

Ryan Stevenson

Gary Glen

Marian Kello

Jamie McDonald

Stevo, Kello and Rudi should be kept on, the rest can go (i really like Suso and Kyle but they don't deserve a new deal)

Out that list I'd keep Rudi (rolling deal), Kello, Stevo, Eggert. I'd like to see what Suso and S.Eliott can produce for the rest of the season. Hope Suso can get fit!

Kyle I'm afraid it looks like the game is up which is a crying shame.

The others can go.

ROMANOV FAN CLUB

Janos Balogh (January)

Rudi Skacel (January)

Eggert Jonsson

Ian Black

Suso Santana

Kevin Kyle

Stephen Elliott

Callum Elliot

David Obua

Ryan Stevenson

Gary Glen

Marian Kello

Jamie McDonald

I would keep Jonnson, McDonald and give Kello a new deal just to cash in on him in the summer

Getting rid of those players should shave about ?2 million of the wage bill, but to go with youth in the right way we require 2 or 3 experienced players to come in like Takis Fyssas types who can do to the youngsters what Fyssas did for Wallace.

I'd like to see the club bring in a under 20 striker like a Bednar who may be out of contract at a big club, who like Bednar we can cash in on

kingantti1874

We have not had one single window since the arrival of Romanov that we have not brought in a new player. A lot will need to happen to make me think that will change.

Fair enough mate.. I've got a genuine worry that things have changed tho

I think that you were right in your initial comment. I doubt we'll be 'buying players' for a while, we'll still get them on Bosmans, but that'll be it.

So in reply to the OP, I would doubt we'll be buying in good youth players from other teams, we'll only sign them if they've been released.

Charlie-Brown

Why is it a worry? we've got far too many players already and a wage bill that is far too high and unsustainable. We don't need new players we need to clear out a large number and make the best out of those we keep. Romanov & UBIG's money has inadvertently created a comfort zone for players, managers & fans that we can carry on regardless and sign new players if previous players don't work out or fall out of favour. We need to feel the fear that every penny counts in signing decisions, who we keep, how much we offer them etc. who we can afford.

kingantti1874

Why is it a worry? we've got far too many players already and a wage bill that is far too high and unsustainable. We don't need new players we need to clear out a large number and make the best out of those we keep. Romanov & UBIG's money has inadvertently created a comfort zone for players, managers & fans that we can carry on regardless and sign new players if previous players don't work out or fall out of favour. We need to feel the fear that every penny counts in signing decisions, who we keep, how much we offer them etc. who we can afford.

Oh don't get me wrong Charlie, we are in need of a serious clear out and I agree with the youth first policy - but every now and then you need a grainge to supplement what you habe r that's all and I would expect to many of those for a couple of years - not until the income generated by the club can pay for it and I think we are a bit away from that

jamboinglasgow

In the Sunday Post today (yes I know, Broons and all that) there is a story that Hearts have been sending lists of players to championship clubs in an attempt to clear players out in January. This has come from a journalist who is well connected with Hearts and knows his stuff, Kenny Miller. So it looks like youth will be promoted from then. The same article has Mickey Cameron saying that Hearts should be promoting youngsters as they have the talent avaliable to do that. He says he will try and ask Hearts if he can keep his on loan player Jordon Morton for the whole season in January but thinks Hearts may keep him to play him. I do think that we will try and sell Templeton, Zaliukas down south and Driver away on loan.

We do have too many players already and with the exception of Kello and maybe Jonsson and Stevenson, we could offload the rest of the list now (not possible because of contracts etc) and not be much weaker. We'd be left with (in 4-5-1)

Kello

McGowan Zal Webby Grainger

Driver Johnsson Taouil Robinson Temps

Stevenson

Bench:Ridgers* Hamill Barr Mrowiec Smith Sutton Novi Driver (*assuming we have a recall clause)

You will notice I have not yet included one new youngster which underlines how overweight we are.

In addition to that we must make serious judgments on all players over 18 as to whether

a - will they make the 1st team?

b - will they even be good enough for the 1st team squad as reliable cover?

If the answer is "No" to both questions then we MUST release them. we cannot heep holding on to players over 19 simply in the hope they MIGHT come good. Our budget/turnover doesn't allow that luxury.

Offloading those on the list would save more than ?2m a year in wages and we're not finished yet

Barr - possible swap or small fee?

Sutton - Does he want away?

Stevenson - Bristol City? Exchange for Clarkson.

Novi - as time passes, doubts increase that he will make it

Mrowiec, Hamill and Taouil still need to convince me.

That's that off my chest. I feel better already.

The White Cockade

You don't think a lot has happened recently then?

They have practically laid it on a plate that we will be cutting our costs by moving on high earners, not paying transfer fees and

bringing through the youngsters we already have on the books

To be honest thats what the likes of Motherwell have been doing for a few years now and with some success

Janos Balogh (January)

Rudi Skacel (January)

Eggert Jonsson

Ian Black

Suso Santana

Kevin Kyle

Stephen Elliott

Callum Elliot

David Obua

Ryan Stevenson

Gary Glen

Marian Kello

Jamie McDonald

I think we'll keep MacDonald, Stevenson and possibly one or two others like Jonsson and Skacel (at least until the end of the season I'd hope).

Kello, Balogh, Suso and Obua will definitely go IMO and it's hard to se Glen and Elliot being kept on. If we are cost-cutting then I guess Elliott and Black could well leave as well. Kyle too assuming he never recovers from injury.

portobellojambo1

As Vlad has said from next season we will be bringing in youngsters from our academy and that all the best young players in scotland will be looking to get into the hearts team.Do you think that will include us buying and young talent from other scottish clubs??

I don't think there will be any money available to purchase players in January, so if we do bring in more senior players those will be players who are available on free transfers. Not sure if we will try and attract kids from other clubs. Was down at Easter Road yesterday and got my first viewing of the U19's and there are some very good players in that squad. Those that particularly caught my eye were both full backs (Mullen and McHattie), Calum Tapping, David Smith, Jason Holt and Jamie Walker. The only thing that was missing from yesterday's line up to win us the game was an out and out goalscorer (something I tried to get over on another thread last night, and ended up getting told I was talking nonsense after it went a bit off track), and it is probably one of the positions that I was really hoping that we had a player coming through in. To me it was very much like watching Arsenal before Robin van Persie came back into their side. At times it looked as if they were trying to walk the ball into the net yesterday because there wasn't an out and out goalscorer on the park to round off all their hard work.

The difficulty is in watching the laddies playing at that level and trying to determine if they will actually go on to make it at SPL level. They played some very attractive football but I'm not sure the hurly burly of the SPL will allow them to display it in the same manner.

kingantti1874

If we play a team full of youths we will be watching a team fighting against relegation.

Maybe ... Still teams with far poorer young players than our own have done it...

Toxteth O'Grady

I don't think there will be any money available to purchase players in January, so if we do bring in more senior players those will be players who are available on free transfers. Not sure if we will try and attract kids from other clubs. Was down at Easter Road yesterday and got my first viewing of the U19's and there are some very good players in that squad. Those that particularly caught my eye were both full backs (Mullen and McHattie), Calum Tapping, David Smith, Jason Holt and Jamie Walker. The only thing that was missing from yesterday's line up to win us the game was an out and out goalscorer (something I tried to get over on another thread last night, and ended up getting told I was talking nonsense after it went a bit off track), and it is probably one of the positions that I was really hoping that we had a player coming through in. To me it was very much like watching Arsenal before Robin van Persie came back into their side. At times it looked as if they were trying to walk the ball into the net yesterday because there wasn't an out and out goalscorer on the park to round off all their hard work.

The difficulty is in watching the laddies playing at that level and trying to determine if they will actually go on to make it at SPL level. They played some very attractive football but I'm not sure the hurly burly of the SPL will allow them to display it in the same manner.

For all the players we have brought through from youth level to the first team it is amazing that there hasn't been a decent striker in many years.

Have there been any since Robbo and Scott Crabbe?

You don't actually need (big) money to purchase players, or pay signing-on fees, in January to improve the team.

If Skacel and Balogh don't have their contracts extended, that frees up 2 wages from January. To give the youths that little extra breathing space we can bring in 2 loan signings and pay part of their wages - I was reading the other day that one SPL club is paying only 1/3rd of an English based loanee's wages. Now if one of these was a decent striker what a difference that alone would make and if results did improve, it would be easier to drip feed youths into the team.

I thought Jamie Walker was a good and regular scorer? Didn`t he get a bad injury recently and has not been back that long?

For me, showing quality in many aspects is important to make the grade as well as contributing to a successful Hearts first team and improving the quality there. I`d rather have lads coming through that were generally good and not just one trick ponies.

Better finishing can come with age ,in fact, any attribute can improve with age while being coached in the first team. Sometimes a young lad who looks to have one stick out attribute can then be out his depth when he attempts to move up. Coping with harder tackling, better clsoing down and having the presence of mind to use other abilities in stronger , wiser company says far more about an aspiring young talent.

Of course i`d love to see a natural finisher come through at the club but becoming a pro takes more than that....not that i know because i didn`t make it! :D but that`s just how i see it using some of the knowledge i learned under some good coaches when i played in the past.(never put it to good use did i? :angry::D )

Janos Balogh (January) - Release

Rudi Skacel (January) - Keep

Eggert Jonsson - Keep

Ian Black - Release, we have Robinson

Suso Santana - Release, injury/homesickness combined mean he isn't worth it.

Kevin Kyle - Release, too many injuries. And we have Smith.

Stephen Elliott - Keep, if he can show he's wirth it by the end of this season.

Callum Elliot - Release, injury, confidence and form mean he's past his sell by date at Hearts.

David Obua - Release. Too high a wage and not good enough. We have Holt.

Ryan Stevenson - Keep

Gary Glen - Release

Marian Kello - Keep

Jamie McDonald - Keep

I believe a side similar the that of the second leg against Spurs would do very well in the SPL as long as we backed them and the fair weather supporters stayed away or refrained from booing.

jamboinglasgow

I will be surprised if Skacel is still at Hearts after January, if we are trying to cut back our wage costs he is the most obvious to go.

I will be surprised if Skacel is still at Hearts after January, if we are trying to cut back our wage costs he is the most obvious to go.

I wouldn't be so sure, I think Vlad likes him personally, and he's not on as much as people think. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay til the end of the season.

McGowan, Robinson, Novikovas, Smith, Holt and Prychenko (when he's back) all need to be given a lot more game time if we're going to have any chance of a decent season next year.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Sergio is the right man for the job. We need someone who can blend the youth with a few shrewd experienced bosman signings.

couldn't agree more.

Janos Balogh (January)

Rudi Skacel (January)

Eggert Jonsson

Ian Black

Suso Santana

Kevin Kyle

Stephen Elliott

Callum Elliot

David Obua

Ryan Stevenson

Gary Glen

Marian Kello

Jamie McDonald

Those in Bold will be gone by the beginning of next season.

I think Rudi should stay till May but then get told thanks for everything, and all you've done, but the time has come and you can go.

The others, rightly or wrongly, will most definately be here next season imo. Looking likely to me that McDonald will be #1 and Ridgers his back up. Also think we'll have a new manager, can't see PS hanging about if things get tight financially.

Stevo, Kello and Rudi should be kept on, the rest can go (i really like Suso and Kyle but they don't deserve a new deal)

Bang on the money. Get rid of all of them minus Rudi, Kello and Stevo - Kello and Stevo could have decent re-sale value if tied down to longer deals. Be a major coup if we managed to get Kello to sign a new deal though.

Archived