England Spain

richardhateshibs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anti-football versus pass the ball to death. Boring so far.

Spain have 5 or 6 players who all want to play in the hole ... and no pace up front so far.

I'm bored out my brain. :(

It's quite sad what's happening to international football, really. I would say "wait til next summer - that's when the shackles come off", but as we saw at the World Cup, they don't really there either.

Coco mentioned Spain's lack of pace up front. Thing is, do they have anyone up front? It's like 4-3-3-0; and their lack of width is always irritating.

Sergio Garcia

David Silva to score anytime11/4 to double up my Gareth Bale anytime @ 3/1, only a ?50 double. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Always the danger in friendlies the early subs!!!

Sergio Garcia

The game needed that to be fair, should be interesting now.

I might now have to put the telly on mute if the commentators get carried away.

Goldstone Wonder

As someone said earlier, if they win tonight it will convince them that all they need to do is turn up next summer to win before their inevitable "premature" exit, so it's a no lose situation.

Pleasing. Cue ridiculous England expectations.

Now England are favourites for Ukraine/Poland Euro 2012, and are absolute certs to win the Brazilian world cup in 2014woot.gifwoot.gifwoot.gif

Nice line-ups.

I'm so excited for this.

excited-150x100.jpg

The only thing that'll stop it being 0-5 is whether Spain can be arsed or not.

I'd love another 'Hungary '53' game. In a couple of hours they may be, at last, contemplating what a colossal stream of pish they are.

Utter domination already.

obama-smug1.jpg

Disappointed at Spain's lack of bloodthirsty desire so far. :verymad:

Pleasing. Cue ridiculous England expectations.

:)

Only a friendly, but England will take loads from that.

Thought the middle of the back 4 was excellent. Parker (although giving the ball away a couple of times really cheaply) was also on top of his game.

If they played tomorrow in a competitive game, would take Spain every time - but tonight done England more good than harm.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

This game proves just how good Messi is

I think you need to look no further than the fact it was a friendly.

Did Messi win Euro 2008 or the 2010 World Cup?

England will get a major confidence boost from the match but I doubt it will affect Spain too much.

Sergio Garcia

It may have been a friendly but I was impressed with England there, disciplined and controlled performance and took their chance when it mattered.

Parker impressed me again along with the backline.

Enjoyable game for a Saturday evening.

Missed the first 20 minutes, but it looked as if Spain were at about 60% and the last ten minutes they upped it to 80%.

England look like they'll create about 5 chances in all three games without Rooney, nothing going forward.

The Future's Maroon

Did someone not say earlier he had placed a grand on England...I assume he'll be one happy bunny!!

Well done for having the bottle to place that bet.

Now they will think they are world beaters...roll on next summer, when they get shown up yet again!!

Keys to beating Spain:

Tight and Compact to negate Spain's possession game (tonight 70%) - Discipline. Check.

Draw fouls within attacking set piece range - Milner Dives. Check.

Hope to get lucky. Ball rebounds off post (You're a cant Lampard, it was obviously going in). Check.

Hope Spain shoot blanks. Check.

it happens one in a while, especially when it doesn't count.

I think you need to look no further than the fact it was a friendly.

Did Messi win Euro 2008 or the 2010 World Cup?

England will get a major confidence boost from the match but I doubt it will affect Spain too much.

Now, that would be an achievement.

Did someone not say earlier he had placed a grand on England...I assume he'll be one happy bunny!!

Well done for having the bottle to place that bet.

Now they will think they are world beaters...roll on next summer, when they get shown up yet again!!

Nahh, I think it was on Spain at 11/10. :ermm::unsure:

Nahh, I think it was on Spain at 11/10. :ermm::unsure:

Never betting on a friendly again. Had a weekend double...Both Teams To Score last night in our game and Spain to simply score tonight. Left cursing my luck...again! :angry:

Sergio Garcia

Keys to beating Spain:

Tight and Compact to negate Spain's possession game (tonight 70%) - Discipline. Check.

Draw fouls within attacking set piece range - Milner Dives. Check.

Hope to get lucky. Ball rebounds off post (You're a cant Lampard, it was obviously going in). Check.

Hope Spain shoot blanks. Check.

it happens one in a while, especially when it doesn't count.

After what happened with Lampard's strike against the Germans I don't think you can blame him for making sure the ball was put clearly over the line.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Now, that would be an achievement.

Your response proves my point. In no way does that game proves how good a player Messi is.

:laugh:

It was win-win, Shaun.

;)

It must be great being Scottish. Unless England do the unthinkable, and actually win something at some point in my lifetime, you can basically never lose. Ever. ;)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It must be great being Scottish. Unless England do the unthinkable, and actually win something at some point in my lifetime, you can basically never lose. Ever. ;)

Almost. The only time we cant win is when you guys have a gallant semi final exit. Only the very worst of us take pleasure from that.

Excellent result for England and like I said at half-time, "it's goals that win matches."

:smuggy:

Let's be honest, the reaction if Scotland had produced something similar would be through the roof. See the results against France a few years ago as an example.

It's quite shit relying on your nearest neighbours having bad days so you can have a good one. Makes me feel all Hibby-ish if I'm honest!

Mind you, our international "derby" record is extremely respectable in comparison given the size of our countries.

Almost. The only time we cant win is when you guys have a gallant semi final exit. Only the very worst of us take pleasure from that.

In Pete Davies' All Played Out, which remains the best book ever written about football, there's a nice line right after the shoot-out in Turin had been lost to West Germany. As Davies, who'd spent months behind the scenes with the England players, who opened their hearts to him in a way I doubt any England side will ever do again with a journalist, sat bawling his eyes out, a Scottish voice (Hugh McIlvanney, maybe?) said to him very softly:

"It's hard for you. It's very hard".

It's quite shit relying on your nearest neighbours having bad days so you can have a good one. Makes me feel all Hibby-ish if I'm honest!

Mind you, our international "derby" record is extremely respectable in comparison given the size of our countries.

:Agree:

It is indeed. And if England met Scotland in a two legged tie right now, I'd be pretty edgy about it.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Excellent result for England and like I said at half-time, "it's goals that win matches."

:smuggy:

Let's be honest, the reaction if Scotland had produced something similar would be through the roof. See the results against France a few years ago as an example.

Those were competitive matches.

:verysmug:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

In Pete Davies' All Played Out, which remains the best book ever written about football, there's a nice line right after the shoot-out in Turin had been lost to West Germany. As Davies, who'd spent months behind the scenes with the England players, who opened their hearts to him in a way I doubt any England side will ever do again with a journalist, sat bawling his eyes out, a Scottish voice (Hugh McIlvanney, maybe?) said to him very softly:

"It's hard for you. It's very hard".

Great book. The paragraph describing the fans celebrating Lineker's goal in the semi is one of my favourites, from any book.

Great book. The paragraph describing the fans celebrating Lineker's goal in the semi is one of my favourites, from any book.

A goal which, because of the five to ten second walk from kitchen to lounge at home, I missed. :( First thing I knew about it was my Mum, who'd never normally watch a World Cup game, shrieking in excitement. :geek:

Barney Rubble

Yeah like the majority of the country , as it should be .

Sergio Garcia

A goal which, because of the five to ten second walk from kitchen to lounge at home, I missed. :( First thing I knew about it was my Mum, who'd never normally watch a World Cup game, shrieking in excitement. :geek:

Probably love eggs.............................

So, using the Scotland winning at Wembley in '67 theory, does this make England the World Champions?

So, using the Scotland winning at Wembley in '67 theory, does this make England the World Champions?

No!

We were the first to beat England - England are not the first to beat Spain!

Simples!!!

Archived