Steve Kean + Blackburn

Gigolo-Aunt

Its been reported today that Steve Kean is about to sign a new contract at Blackburn. With all the fan protests and with them sitting at the wrong end of the league, if true, its a pretty ballsy decision by the owners.

Have been browsing a few English forums today and there seems to be something going on in the background at Blackburn with the new owners and the Walker Trust. Although nobody is coming out and saying exactly what is happening due to fear of legal actions, there seems to be a real fear that the shit is about to hit the fan with regards as to the future of the club. Anyone head anything about this? On the Blackburn forum the site is full of nods and winks about this but nobody seems to want to bring it out in the open.

If you can spill the beans "allegedly" is a good road to go down.

biggrin.gif

Hate watching his post match interviews. Another West Coaster who says "wur" ....and everytime they get beaten he says they are looking good and things will turn...20 games later.

Like Martinez at Wigan too. He`s Spanish so he must know what he`s talking about :ermm: ..... Im surprised that guy has lasted so long at Wigan. Someone has to be bottom but you`d think the Chairman has had enough of relegation scraps and would show a bit ambition and get a better manager with a bit of a track record.

Hate watching his post match interviews. Another West Coaster who says "wur" ....and everytime they get beaten he says they are looking good and things will turn...20 games later.

Like Martinez at Wigan too. He`s Spanish so he must know what he`s talking about :ermm: ..... Im surprised that guy has lasted so long at Wigan. Someone has to be bottom but you`d think the Chairman has had enough of relegation scraps and would show a bit ambition and get a better manager with a bit of a track record.

Think with Martinez, the Wigan owner/fans know that to even be in the PL due to the investment they put in each year is a feat in itself. That said, still think that Martinez will regret not taking the Villa job in the summer.

I'm pretty sure that I read earlier that Kean's win ratio at Blackburn is 8%. Could be about to get another contract as well!

Except Martinez is a good manager with a good track record. He's just at a club whose demographic reality means they have no right to be in the EPL; in fact, Wigan aren't even big enough to be a Championship club.

Good on Whelan for sticking by him. As for Blackburn, I agree with Gig. Last season, there were all sorts of rumours doing the rounds about what the owners have planned there. There's trouble ahead - but Blackburn aren't a particularly big club either, and only Jack Walker's money (including what he left them after he died) made any of their success of the last couple of decades possible. A Premier League title, a Champions League appearance, a League Cup win, loads of other European qualifications and Cup semi-finals... it had to end at some point. And now, it would seem, it has.

I feel sorry for Kean. He hasn't been given too much time, has got the team playing some decent stuff, but has been unlucky with a few results. Sound like someone familiar? Probably not to the usual moaning Hearts fans on here.

His total record: P32 W6 D10 L16 F37 A56 P28. (I think.) :unsure:

Seems strange that he might be about to be given a new contract considering his unpopularity with the support. Although one of theeir local papers are saying he's not signed one YET.

They'll need some major investment in January but even then it might be too late.

Peculiar thinking by Venky's.

Except Martinez is a good manager with a good track record. He's just at a club whose demographic reality means they have no right to be in the EPL; in fact, Wigan aren't even big enough to be a Championship club.

Good on Whelan for sticking by him. As for Blackburn, I agree with Gig. Last season, there were all sorts of rumours doing the rounds about what the owners have planned there. There's trouble ahead - but Blackburn aren't a particularly big club either, and only Jack Walker's money (including what he left them after he died) made any of their success of the last couple of decades possible. A Premier League title, a Champions League appearance, a League Cup win, loads of other European qualifications and Cup semi-finals... it had to end at some point. And now, it would seem, it has.

A good track record in the championship maybe. I`m not into hiring and firing and i believe managers deserve time but there`s been no improvement and i`d start to question that....Swansea, Norwich and QPR are doing reasonably well so far and look far better. Look how Warnock, Lambert motivate their teams.

The Chairman has to start showing ambition even though i admire him standing by Martinez. I just don`t think he`s good enough.

Especially if he thinks Calamity Caldwell will keep him up. :mellow:

kingantti1874

I feel sorry for Kean. He hasn't been given too much time, has got the team playing some decent stuff, but has been unlucky with a few results. Sound like someone familiar? Probably not to the usual moaning Hearts fans on here.

We haven't been playing decent stuff tho.. Eye bleeding defensive shite...

:what:

He inherited a team safe in mid-table. He's won three games in 25. Granted, the owners are more culpable - but the fans aren't allowed to want him out, with a record like that?!

I don't feel at all sorry for Kean, I can't stand the man.

A friend of mine is a Blackburn fan and he was saying that he and an agent called Jerome Anderson (who appears to be a very bad man) basically engineered the sacking of Sam Allerdyce to put Kean in that position despite the fact he's never managed a team in his life. He's been there a year now and has won something like 9 games out of 32 which is a bad record in anyones opinion and is completely unsackable as Anderson (rogue agent and bad man) pretty much has a strong influence over the owners, Venkys and Kean is his friend and their yes man.

It's hard to believe that there are worse owners out there than Vlad but Blackburn Rovers have found them.

A good track record in the championship maybe. I`m not into hiring and firing and i believe managers deserve time but there`s been no improvement and i`d start to question that....Swansea, Norwich and QPR are doing reasonably well so far and look far better. Look how Warnock, Lambert motivate their teams.

The Chairman has to start showing ambition even though i admire him standing by Martinez. I just don`t think he`s good enough.

Especially if he thinks Calamity Caldwell will keep him up. :mellow:

Whelan's shown absolute shitloads of ambition there, and done a fantastic job not just for his club, but the whole area. It's just that he knows that simply staying in the EPL - which Martinez has managed, while changing their style at the same time: no mean feat at all at a struggling club in such a cutthroat league - represents huge achievement. That they're now in their seventh season in the division is remarkable.

Norwich, QPR and Swansea are all bigger clubs than Wigan. And Norwich have the fanbase of a Premier League club. Wigan absolutely don't.

Whelan's shown absolute shitloads of ambition there, and done a fantastic job not just for his club, but the whole area. It's just that he knows that simply staying in the EPL - which Martinez has managed, while changing their style at the same time: no mean feat at all at a struggling club in such a cutthroat league - represents huge achievement. That they're now in their seventh season in the division is remarkable.

Norwich, QPR and Swansea are all bigger clubs than Wigan. And Norwich have the fanbase of a Premier League club. Wigan absolutely don't.

I`m not saying Whelan hasn`t shown ambition overall for his club. Just in particular when it comes to the manager position.

I`m not saying break the bank, but make a change. It could be a simple management change that keeps them up but not only keep them up, maybe take the pressure off earlier in the season regards relegation. I just don`t see Martinez as a motivator when its really needed. He got away with it last season but you want a manager with the constitution to prevent that happening again.

:what:

He inherited a team safe in mid-table. He's won three games in 25. Granted, the owners are more culpable - but the fans aren't allowed to want him out, with a record like that?!

I just think Managers are too quickly blamed. Exactly, Kean inherited a team. He hasn't been given much to work with in terms of bringing in his own players. Again, sound like Sergio? I don't believe for one minute managers like Kean are doing their upmost to try and get better results. Sometimes the players need to shoulder some of the blame. They were 3-1 to Norwich with something like 10 mins to go and ended up drawing. Fair enough they were two unfortunate goals but Kean couldn't be blamed there.

why the hell did they get rid of Big Sam for Kean who was a complete unknown? baffles me. Big Sams football is not easy on the eye, but it kept them comfortable in the league. Just like it did Bolton. Kean never managed anywere before. Mental decision by Venkys in my eyes. They promised big names to arrive at Ewood, but instead they got BadBoaby. And Yakubu. Great. Enjoy life in the championship. They give him a new contract and they could face a severe backlash from the fans.

I just think Managers are too quickly blamed. Exactly, Kean inherited a team. He hasn't been given much to work with in terms of bringing in his own players. Again, sound like Sergio? I don't believe for one minute managers like Kean are doing their upmost to try and get better results. Sometimes the players need to shoulder some of the blame. They were 3-1 to Norwich with something like 10 mins to go and ended up drawing. Fair enough they were two unfortunate goals but Kean couldn't be blamed there.

And there are some people who make good coaches but just aren't cut out to be a manager

At the end of the day Kean will go down as another Sammy Lee etc

He's just at a club whose demographic reality means they have no right to be in the EPL; in fact, Wigan aren't even big enough to be a Championship club.

Good on Whelan for sticking by him. As for Blackburn, I agree with Gig. Last season, there were all sorts of

Hmmmm, I thought the pyramid system meant that it was sporting results that determined which league you were in. I must have missed the EPL Franchise system being brought in.

And there are some people who make good coaches but just aren't cut out to be a manager

I agree with you there, Sammy Lee was torture! Probably why big time Billy won't get/take the full time job at the wee team.

why the hell did they get rid of Big Sam for Kean who was a complete unknown? baffles me. Big Sams football is not easy on the eye, but it kept them comfortable in the league. Just like it did Bolton. Kean never managed anywere before. Mental decision by Venkys in my eyes. They promised big names to arrive at Ewood, but instead they got BadBoaby. And Yakubu. Great. Enjoy life in the championship. They give him a new contract and they could face a severe backlash from the fans.

If what I have read previously is true, "Big Sam" liked to buy players via certain agents. The club wanted "Big Sam" to use a different agency company for signings.

There is also a story that the owners invited their family/friends and important business partners to a game at Old Trafford, only for Blackburn to lose something like 7-1. This apparently did not go down too well with said owners.

Out of all the things that have happened since they taken over, the John Jensen affair was the most bizarre.

I think Kean was blamed for that, he took off their best player that day in Rochina and changed the shape of the team. That's when Norwich came into the game. Whether it was a wrong call or not is hard to really say but I think that his lack of managerial experience is highlighting these things with the fans.

I think Kean was blamed for that, he took off their best player that day in Rochina and changed the shape of the team. That's when Norwich came into the game. Whether it was a wrong call or not is hard to really say but I think that his lack of managerial experience is highlighting these things with the fans.

It happened 2 games in a row. Both games they were winning, Rochina + Yakubu both subbed, outcome was both times the other team got back in the game.

If what I have read previously is true, "Big Sam" liked to buy players via certain agents. The club wanted "Big Sam" to use a different agency company for signings.

There is also a story that the owners invited their family/friends and important business partners to a game at Old Trafford, only for Blackburn to lose something like 7-1. This apparently did not go down too well with said owners.

Out of all the things that have happened since they taken over, the John Jensen affair was the most bizarre.

Didint know about the agent thing, always thought he was a bot dodgy, didnt someone, dispatches or the bbc, uncover him and his agent son giving or recieving bungs? something to do with that? dunno

What was the John Jensen affair???

It happened 2 games in a row. Both games they were winning, Rochina + Yakubu both subbed, outcome was both times the other team got back in the game.

Oh well, I'll not stick up for the wee fella again! Actually I'm just looking out the bed sheets and the paint for my own 'Kean GTF' banner!

Didint know about the agent thing, always thought he was a bot dodgy, didnt someone, dispatches or the bbc, uncover him and his agent son giving or recieving bungs? something to do with that? dunno

I don't think the issue was anything dodgy was going on, just that the club wanted to change one set of agents to another. There was a program though that made a few managers look suspect. Although as it stands, George Graham (a long time ago) is the only manager to have been done.

Kean was told that John Jensen was to be his assistant. Kean had no previous relationship with Jensen and this was also done via the agency company that I have mentioned. By all accounts Kean and Jensen never got on and had different idea's on how things should be done. There was a clip of a game and the manager, jensen and someone else are having a chat about something whilst the game played on, Kean clearly says to Jensen "and you can **** off as well". Jensen left the club last last month or so ago. Blackburn just seem to plod from one bad decision to another.

Oh well, I'll not stick up for the wee fella again! Actually I'm just looking out the bed sheets and the paint for my own 'Kean GTF' banner!

laugh.gif

From what I know Jensen was installed as the assistant manager and was sacked, I think a few months ago. The rumours were that Kean put the blame for bad results on Jensen and this was what got him sacked as Kean wanted Paul Clements, a guy he's worked with before. Clements is in the assistant managers job now despite also only being a coach with Chelsea previously.

How much of that is fact and what is rumours is anyone's guess though although there seems to be some faily in the know Blackburn fans who do believe this was the case.

Along the road from Blackburn is a little town called Manchester. 5 years ago they appointed a Scot who was neither universally wanted nor universally popular among the support. That manager too had a sticky start but the owners stayed loyal (many would say for too long) and the rest is history.

Now I am not for a minute suggesting this is a parallel but it is worth bearing in mind.

Randle P McMurphy

kean was seemingly rated as the best young coach in english football but like you say good coaches don't always make good managers

Along the road from Blackburn is a little town called Manchester. 5 years ago they appointed a Scot who was neither universally wanted nor universally popular among the support. That manager too had a sticky start but the owners stayed loyal (many would say for too long) and the rest is history.

Now I am not for a minute suggesting this is a parallel but it is worth bearing in mind.

Can I correct my mistake to 25 years ago.

Sorry.

I know what you mean and in general I think that these days clubs are much to quick to get rid of managers who are having a bad spell. In general though, these are managers with a proven background who have shown they have the skills & experience for the job. Ferguson had done a fantastic job with Aberdeen before he went to Man Utd.

Kean was a promoted youth coach and let's face it, the Premiership is no place for learning on the job. It's akin to us giving Stevie Frail the job full time and giving him a new contract even when we knew he wasn't up to the job.

Can't wait til he gets them relegated. He's an absolute snake and deserves all the shit that's coming his way.

The Real Maroonblood

It's an opportunity to keep a yes man in charge. So they can do whatever they want

Some Hearts managers can relate to that.

Martinez is crap.

Wow Shaun, you actually think that a demographic decides whether you should be in the prem or not.

Martinez is crap..... as is the bottom 5 of the premiership. Saying Martinez is good is almost as bad as sayoing saying Colin Calderwood is a good manager. Martinez has made some truly shocking signings and lives of the fact he won promotion from a shocking league. He has built a decent SPL side, at best.

As for Kean, it just goes to show how over rated the premiership is.

Martinez has kept Wigan up twice against the odds so I've no idea why he is getting so much flak in this thread.

I think this season they will go down and he'll probably not see it out, but that doesn't mean he hasn't done a good job.

And to make matters worse he is a Celtic Fan.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Must be this same guy, is also the agent of this former Aberdeen player who signed for Blackburn in the summer. The player is about 24 and had never played a first team game, but Blackburn signed him on a bumper, long-term contract.

Dodgy as hell. Also, with all the recent talk of abolishing relegation, someone on here said recently the Venkys thought that was already the case! :lol:

A friend of mine is a Blackburn fan and he was saying that he and an agent called Jerome Anderson (who appears to be a very bad man) basically engineered the sacking of Sam Allerdyce to put Kean in that position despite the fact he's never managed a team in his life. He's been there a year now and has won something like 9 games out of 32 which is a bad record in anyones opinion and is completely unsackable as Anderson (rogue agent and bad man) pretty much has a strong influence over the owners, Venkys and Kean is his friend and their yes man.

It's hard to believe that there are worse owners out there than Vlad but Blackburn Rovers have found them.

I know what you mean and in general I think that these days clubs are much to quick to get rid of managers who are having a bad spell. In general though, these are managers with a proven background who have shown they have the skills & experience for the job. Ferguson had done a fantastic job with Aberdeen before he went to Man Utd.

Kean was a promoted youth coach and let's face it, the Premiership is no place for learning on the job. It's akin to us giving Stevie Frail the job full time and giving him a new contract even when we knew he wasn't up to the job.

I wasn't intending this to relate to any manager's length of tenure although that is a fair point. I just have a feeling that English people think that because a manager comes from the backwater known as Scotland, there is something inferior about him. With the thick accent they do not come across too well (to the English) in TV interviews. Managers who have been high profile players in England like Dalglish and Souness can get away with it because they've already been "accepted" but less known individuals like Ferguson was, and Kean, have to build up their cred. It's not going too well for Kean at the moment just as it didn't for Sir A F at the beginning but I am just suggesting they should be cautious as Kean was a highly respected coach. It sometimes takes a little time to adjust.

Martinez is crap.

Wow Shaun, you actually think that a demographic decides whether you should be in the prem or not.

Martinez is crap..... as is the bottom 5 of the premiership. Saying Martinez is good is almost as bad as sayoing saying Colin Calderwood is a good manager. Martinez has made some truly shocking signings and lives of the fact he won promotion from a shocking league. He has built a decent SPL side, at best.

As for Kean, it just goes to show how over rated the premiership is.

No he isn't, and no I don't. I do, though, absolutely believe that demographics limit the potential of any club. Do you think Wigan, with their fanbase, should win the league? Back when football was much more competitive and unpredictable, did you think Wimbledon should win the league too?

Demographics are a problem Blackburn have had to tackle too. Why do you suppose that, after 1995, and all the Bosman-related changes which swept into the game, Blackburn ceased almost overnight to compete for the league title? They didn't stop spending money; football simply changed, and left them behind. Meaning when both Souness and Hughes did really well there, top six/seven became their limit, only years after they'd been Champions of England.

No he isn't, and no I don't. I do, though, absolutely believe that demographics limit the potential of any club. Do you think Wigan, with their fanbase, should win the league? Back when football was much more competitive and unpredictable, did you think Wimbledon should win the league too?

Demographics are a problem Blackburn have had to tackle too. Why do you suppose that, after 1995, and all the Bosman-related changes which swept into the game, Blackburn ceased almost overnight to compete for the league title? They didn't stop spending money; football simply changed, and left them behind. Meaning when both Souness and Hughes did really well there, top six/seven became their limit, only years after they'd been Champions of England.

That's not really demographics regarding the location though.

If you look at all the "big" clubs, they have fans travelling the length and breadth of the country to go and watch their favourites. Some of these clubs also have supporters clubs abroad e.g. Norwegian Liverpool or Man U fans etc etc

Up here it's perfectly illustrated by the OF. Go to Ibrox and see the supporters buses that have travelled over from N.Iron for example. Even Hearts are beneficiaries of this sort of fan behaviour.

Re your other question, winning the league is about doing it on the park, not how many fans you get.

Must be this same guy, is also the agent of this former Aberdeen player who signed for Blackburn in the summer. The player is about 24 and had never played a first team game, but Blackburn signed him on a bumper, long-term contract.

Dodgy as hell. Also, with all the recent talk of abolishing relegation, someone on here said recently the Venkys thought that was already the case! :lol:

Was it Nick Blackman? I thought he was on loan from blackburn to Motherwell then Aberdeen?

Now now Shaun, that`s YOUR opinion. :P There are so called smaller clubs the world over competing well, by being run well and good decisions being made at the top. Is not being in a football hotbed a worse handicap as opposed to living amongst the big boys as do Fulham and QPR in London?

tartofmidlothian

Also the agent of Kris Boyd, I believe, which is why he was linked with a move to them while failing to do anything special at all at Boro.

Also the agent of Kris Boyd, I believe, which is why he was linked with a move to them while failing to do anything special at all at Boro.

Forgot about Kris Boyd.

Playing in Turkey now, only played 2 games so far this season according to Wiki.

Great poacher by SPL standards, not good enough for anything more.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Was it Nick Blackman? I thought he was on loan from blackburn to Motherwell then Aberdeen?

No not him, I'm sure he was a defender and I'd definitely never heard of him. He was at Aberdeen but was yet to play in the first team.

No not him, I'm sure he was a defender and I'd definitely never heard of him. He was at Aberdeen but was yet to play in the first team.

Myles Anderson

Archived