no poppies for scotland

quincy adams wagstaff

quincy adams wagstaff

we have to ask the Cypriots permission aparently,just to wear one on a black armband,the sfa were not to too keen on us having the poppie on the shirts at all,but are going down the english route of asking permission to have one on the black arm band.disgrace,i was brought up to beleve you wear a poppy with pride,if i was a scotland player i wouldent play if i couldent wear it on my chest.sfa hang your heads in shame

we have to ask the Cypriots permission aparently,just to wear one on a black armband,the sfa were not to too keen on us having the poppie on the shirts at all,but are going down the english route of asking permission to have one on the black arm band.disgrace,i was brought up to beleve you wear a poppy with pride,if i was a scotland player i wouldent play if i couldent wear it on my chest.sfa hang your heads in shame

There is arena for being a Poppy pusher already...in the other thread.

FIFA's decision not the SFA.

quincy adams wagstaff

Poppy mania. Surely, we live in a free society and are free to remember in our own ways?

we only live in a free society because men and woman,some as young as 18 and 19,gave their lives.we are a free nation because of their sacrifice,wearing a poppie is the least i can do for them,i do it with pride

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

we only live in a free society because men and woman,some as young as 18 and 19,gave their lives.we are a free nation because of their sacrifice,wearing a poppie is the least i can do for them,i do it with pride

If you 'wear it with pride' you clearly don't understand it's purpose.

MacDonald Jardine

So do I but not every minute of the day.

This is becoming too much.

My understanding is that 11 November is a time for Remembrance, this can be done a number of ways, by oneself in meditation, by attending a Remembrance Service, or as in my own case participating in a parade to the local Cenotaph.

Wearing a Poppy is another way, however was the poppy not originally used as a means of obtaining funds for the disabled soldiers, and was part of the Earl Haig Poppy Fund. The significance of the poppy coming from the poem In Flanders Field The Poppy Grows, attesting to the preponderance of poppies in the area. It has in fact grown to become the main symbol of Remembrance but I am not sure that was the original intent. It is unfortunate however that it has become such a bone of contention, but with so many nationalities represented in all football leagues now, it may be time to remove it from the football environment.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Just another symptom of the media appealing to the lowest common denominator. There's no complexity in the issues any more. If you show any dissent, or even so much as suggest you're seeing something from both sides, you don't have pride, or you hate freedom. Scrutiny of the issues gets in the way for most of the Sun-reading, Heat buying, Kardashian-loving, X-factor voting, Gypsy-wedding watching masses.

quincy adams wagstaff

If you 'wear it with pride' you clearly don't understand it's purpose.

i am proud of the fact thousands of my fellow countrymen were brave enough to fight against those who would have taken our freedom,stood up against those who would have persecuted thousands for having the wrong religion or were gay or sick or the disabled,yes im proud and wear the poppie with pride

For many decades we've all been free to show respect in a dignified solemn way without any controversy, without the need to plaster a poppy on all available surfaces.. The furore kicked up about poppies on shirts with its outrage agenda being pushed by some of the media is a bit reminiscent of the princess Di hysteria to me. I'd rather we stuck to a simple heartfelt expression of remembrance rather than the compulsory display we seem to be being pushed towards.

For many decades we've all been free to show respect in a dignified solemn way without any controversy, without the need to plaster a poppy on all available surfaces.. The furore kicked up about poppies on shirts with its outrage agenda being pushed by some of the media is a bit reminiscent of the princess Di hysteria to me. I'd rather we stuck to a simple heartfelt expression of remembrance rather than the compulsory display we seem to be being pushed towards.

Can this please be the last (sensible) word on this subject? Each to their own and all that.

quincy adams wagstaff

anybody who has a problem with showing a poppie once a year should go and stan on the terraces at parkhead,sure you will feel right at home

MacDonald Jardine

anybody who has a problem with showing a poppie once a year should go and stan on the terraces at parkhead,sure you will feel right at home

****s sake. Who said they had a problem showing a poppy?

It's the desperate need to be seen to be wearing one that's becoming OTT.

Snake Plissken

You can at least spell poppy correctly.

I don't detect anyone expressing a problem with wearing a poppy, more disdain for the poppy fascism that crops up at this time every year and that post is a prime example of it. It seems like a competition to be the most outraged by someone not wearing one, rather undermines the whole 'for our freedom' line, does it not? I would assume that remembering those that fell in defence of the country in one's own way would fall under the purview of freedom, yes?

Quincy, those people who don't wear a poppy probably remember those killed in all the wars and conflicts around the world in different ways. Perhaps by donating money, or as others have said by remembering in other ways.

Just because someone doesn't wear a poppy doesn't mean that they don't remember the self sacrifice made by so many. Our club probably more than any should remember that

QAW

Spouting jingoistic nonsense like that makes me want to burn poppies just to see your head explode. Freedom was fought for and your line offers no freedom from your way of thinking. Showing incredible ignorance.

quincy adams wagstaff

****s sake. Who said they had a problem showing a poppy?

It's the desperate need to be seen to be wearing one that's becoming OTT.

what,once a friggin year is a problem,is once a year OTT,FECK SAKE

I donated for a poppy last week, wore it to the remembrance night at Usher Hall and then lost it on my way to work the next day. Despite having donated and done my bit I felt the urge to go and get another one, it is that kind of social pressure from half wits that is devaluing the whole thing. In my head, I felt as though others would see it more important that I was seen with a poppy than the whole significance of them in the first place, so I didn't bother. I will still be there on Sunday taking my chance to remember the fallen.

371 British servicemen were killed in Cyprus during the fight against Eoka in the 1950's.

2 years ago a memorial was unveiled in Northern Cyprus commemorating the dead, which the Greek Cypriots were unhappy with. For them the anti-colonial struggle is still a very sensitive issue.

Probably one reason why Fifa don't want poppies worn at football.

What we see as remembering our dead, others may see differently.

What I said about showing respect in a dignified solemn way referred to choosing, as an individual, to wear a poppy (which I do) or attend a remembrance service,or any other form of showing respect. That's all from me.

quincy adams wagstaff

Quincy, those people who don't wear a poppy probably remember those killed in all the wars and conflicts around the world in different ways. Perhaps by donating money, or as others have said by remembering in other ways.

Just because someone doesn't wear a poppy doesn't mean that they don't remember the self sacrifice made by so many. Our club probably more than any should remember that

i know somebody that lost both legs,he was suicidal,you know when he sees somebody with a poppie on,he feels like,somebody cares,somebody gives a damm,please beleve me it make a difference

i know somebody that lost both legs,he was suicidal,you know when he sees somebody with a poppie on,he feels like,somebody cares,somebody gives a damm,please beleve me it make a difference

Nobody is saying it doesn't. They are saying it is a personal choice and nobody should feel forced to wear one and can go about their remembrance in their own way.

Piss off.

This kind of crap about how not wearing a poppy means you are not a Hearts fan is exactly the kind of point-scoring that makes these poppy threads embarrassing. I don't wear a poppy. That doesn't mean that I'm disrespecting people who have died. It's a personal choice. It should never be compulsary for people to wear poppies. I'm not against people wearing one and I might wear one in the future or at a Rememberance Day service but I can't stand these kinds of posts.

I actually attended the service at Tynecastle last year. Should I still go and "stan" at Parkhead?

i am proud of the fact thousands of my fellow countrymen were brave enough to fight against those who would have taken our freedom,stood up against those who would have persecuted thousands for having the wrong religion or were gay or sick or the disabled,yes im proud and wear the poppie with pride

Would this include the freedom to commemorate their sacrifice in the way you are most comfortable with, without being persecuted for not wearing a paper flower...?

Fozzyonthefence

we only live in a free society because men and woman,some as young as 18 and 19,gave their lives. we are a free nation because of their sacrifice,wearing a poppie is the least i can do for them,i do it with pride

I agree with the poppy thing and your sentiment and think the Scotland team should be allowed to wear them (and it looks like they will be now, subject to agreement from Cyprus) but I think it's a bit far fetched to suggest we would not be living in a free society now - then, yes, but not now. After all, aren't the Germans living in a free society after losing two world wars? And look what happened to the Russians after changing sides and winning a war - the USSR was hardly a free society was it? I don't for a minute believe we would all be living in some Nazi Europe now. For me, it's just about remembering the sacrifices these young men made for their country because of politicians (on all sides) who didn't have to face up to the consequences of their actions (then and now).

Poppy mania. Surely, we live in a free society and are free to remember in our own ways?

Exactly, but FIFA seem to be trying to deny everyone of that choice.

Exactly, but FIFA seem to be trying to deny everyone of that choice.

Only by preventing embroidered poppies on the strips, which is fair enough. Free to do it every other way.

Fozzyonthefence

It's a sensitive subject but Fifa, for once, seem to have come to a sensible compromise, imo. I can see the arguments from both sides to be fair.

Shameful post. Vast majority of Celtic fans observe this.

I don't wear a Pudsey Bear badge either. Does that mean I don't care about kids?

I think it means you're a nonce :(

Geoff Kilpatrick

This thread is ridiculous. As far as I can see in my office today, I'm the only one who has a poppy. Come tomorrow, however, a lot of people will wear them for the day and respect the silence. Each to their own because Remembrance is a personal thing, not some sort of fake show of mourning mixed with triumphalism.

fabienleclerq

When I got sat on the a bench for in Barnet we always had poppies on our strips.

Fix that, ive seen you play.

If the players want to wear the strips they should be allowed just as a fan in the crowd is.

It doesn't cheapen the poppie :whistling: at all,but i get that the new jkb way is to mock those who have the opinion Fifa are being disrespectful,claiming mock outrage etc.Im pretty disgusted by their decision, i wouldn't ever ask someone why they weren't wearing a poppy or have a go because they chose not too.People have pointed out in this thread that they pay their respects in their own way and i respect that,maybe they should respect the way the SFA and players want to pay theirs.

The Great Khali

Did the SFA not request to be able to wear one? Got told no then asked to wear them on tracksuits during the anthems. IMO Scotland and the SFA have been alot more dignified about the whole thing, thanthe FA and Mr Cameron.

I'll wear a poppy on the day, doesn't mean you don't care as much as someone who wears one for a week, then goes about slapping massive poppies on car regestration plates and that.

Fix that, ive seen you play.

Just a wee lie...

I'm sure QAW said he played for Carlisle...

Just a wee lie...

I'm sure QAW said he played for Carlisle...

Actually no, that was juvehearts.

Whatever happened to him?

I dont see the problem with FIFA doing it to be honest. They have strict guidelines. Players will still wear armbands and still uphold a minutes silence but they have strict rules on kits, just like when Cameroon got sanctioned for wearing sleeveless tops. Obviously this is for a cause but if they open the gateway to our cause then there will be hundreds of requests. No doubt some that we dont agree with, I bet we wont be shouting about freedom of speech then.

Archived