The Times reckon.......

trago13

Leicester City wore the poppy on their shirt first. No idea if that's the case or not. Don't care tbh.

What I would like to know is when we first wore it. Now I know hibs will have done it first in Scotland, but I've no idea when we copied them!!!!!!

Leicester City wore the poppy on their shirt first. No idea if that's the case or not. Don't care tbh.

What I would like to know is when we first wore it. Now I know hibs will have done it first in Scotland, but I've no idea when we copied them!!!!!!

:(

Patrick Bateman

Here's a thought; why did it take until the beginning of the 21st century for Poppy wearing to become vogue? Why didn't they feature on the shirts from when the campaign began? Why wait until basically every WW1 veteran is dead? It should also be noted that commemoration and pride are two very, very different things, perhaps more people should learn that?

Gregory House M.D.

Deary me. Who gives a ****? As long as it's worn and moneys donated I couldn't care who wore it first.

:vrface:

Gregory House M.D.

Here's a thought; why did it take until the beginning of the 21st century for Poppy wearing to become vogue? Why didn't they feature on the shirts from when the campaign began? Why wait until basically every WW1 veteran is dead? It should also be noted that commemoration and pride are two very, very different things, perhaps more people should learn that?

Because the poppy now symbolizes the fallen from all wars, not just WWI?

Because there were dozens of soldiers being killed and injured in Iraq and Afghanistan around the time that it started.

I also stated previously that I thought it should be kept away from football strips as it removes choice from the individuals in each club and it gives rival clubs an opportunity to use it as a point of conflict (ie the bloodstained poppies protest).

People are falling over themselves these days to mourn causes they have no connection to, or commemorate the lost souls of accidents that, in the past, would have been long forgotten in short time .

Edit: Not that I mean that any war can be easily forgotten, but that slapping poppies here there and everywhere helps satisfy the hunger for mourning and commemoration that seems to be very much in vogue.

Patrick Bateman

Because the poppy now symbolizes the fallen from all wars, not just WWI?

That point makes no sense. The Remembrance Poppy appeal began in the 1920s; why did it take over 80 years before the gear was pushed up? Why wait until post 2001...? The answer is, I would argue, completely political. In recent years, things have moved from commemoration to lionisation of all war dead, portraying them all as heroes and almost as though they are something to aspire to. It isn't healthy for a society to obsess over who wears a poppy, who did it first, etc. It isn't a competition, and it's rather disturbing to see people regard it as such.

Gregory House M.D.

That point makes no sense. The Remembrance Poppy appeal began in the 1920s; why did it take over 80 years before the gear was pushed up? Why wait until post 2001...? The answer is, I would argue, completely political. In recent years, things have moved from commemoration to lionisation of all war dead, portraying them all as heroes and almost as though they are something to aspire to. It isn't healthy for a society to obsess over who wears a poppy, who did it first, etc. It isn't a competition, and it's rather disturbing to see people regard it as such.

I was answering the WWI part.

Also, They are Hero's. I detest Rangers for their Poppy Celebrations and such like. Just pay the cash wear the poppy and get on with it.

To think some veterans actually join Rangers' disgusting carnival of Britishness. :facepalm:

Because there were dozens of soldiers being killed and injured in Iraq and Afghanistan around the time that it started.

There were more at the time of the Falklands

The real answer is probably that the technology to do small runs of custom embroidery has become far more accessible over the last decade

Completely agree with this.

I support the poppy appeal as much as the next man but it should be an act of personal remembrance not a reason for one-upmanship or mawkish sentimentality.

The foaming at the mouth at FIFA's entirely correct decision is staggering, We didnt wear poppies oin football shirts before 2004 - no-one was up in arms at any alleged insensitivity of footballers at any time before that as far as I can remember,

GC

There were more at the time of the Falklands

The real answer is probably that the technology to do small runs of custom embroidery has become far more accessible over the last decade

I think the post Diana grief as an industry thing has more to do with it and the Iraq/Afghan war created a trigger, but certainly the ease of producing strips is likely a factor.

When I was a kid in the 70's it was remembrance Sunday and was only commemorated on that day. I'm pretty sure that people like newsreaders etc. didn't start wearing poppies until the early/mid 90's.

Now there's a whole industry associated with it and I doubt many of the older people involved are altogether comfortable with it.

I've always thought that the government should back all returning service people with all the help and care they ever need. Having to rely on charity is a disgrace. Governments should send soldiers who they can't afford to care for if they end up injured or disabled.

I think the post Diana grief as an industry thing has more to do with it and the Iraq/Afghan war created a trigger, but certainly the ease of producing strips is likely a factor.

When I was a kid in the 70's it was remembrance Sunday and was only commemorated on that day. I'm pretty sure that people like newsreaders etc. didn't start wearing poppies until the early/mid 90's.

Now there's a whole industry associated with it and I doubt many of the older people involved are altogether comfortable with it.

I've always thought that the government should back all returning service people with all the help and care they ever need. Having to rely on charity is a disgrace. Governments should send soldiers who they can't afford to care for if they end up injured or disabled.

Perhaps if the poppy was an emblem of all those on all sides killed in war AND a statement of the obscenity of war, of nations/religions/ideaologies/commercial interests slaughtering each other!

Perhaps if the poppy was an emblem of all those on all sides killed in war AND a statement of the obscenity of war, of nations/religions/ideaologies/commercial interests slaughtering each other!

Like the white poppy you mean ?

GC

Hackney Hearts

The foaming at the mouth at FIFA's entirely correct decision is staggering, We didnt wear poppies oin football shirts before 2004 - no-one was up in arms at any alleged insensitivity of footballers at any time before that as far as I can remember

The foaming may be wrong, but rather than staggering I would say it was entirely predictable - in a 'free country' people basically don't like being told what they can and can't do - especially by those paragons of virtue, FIFA.

I'd say TV presenters, certainly newsreaders, have been wearing poppies for as long as I remember (1960s).

The increased visibility of the poppy in recent years is probably due to Iraq and Afghanistan. Tony Blair, I think, promoted the idea that there should be a widespread minute's silence at 11 o' clock on the 11th in addition to Remembrance Sunday.

I'm not sure about observing a minute's silence at games. Don't remember that much going back, sorry.

As for "why did poppy wearing on shirts not start much earlier?". I'd imagine that's simply because nobody thought of it.

There's often a competitive edge to posts on here about Remembrance. As we approach the 11th, I'd urge people to think of it as a unifying thing, the showing of respect, and not an opportunity for trivial point-scoring.

The poppy appeals will have done well to raise ?40m between them last year (it was ?36m in England).

The Department of Work and pensions spent ?976.4m on war pensions alone and that's before you look at the MoD's expenditure

The idea that the governement "rely on charity" to take care of veterans is at best a cheap rhetorical trick and at worst a blatant distortion.

And Rememberance Day falls on the 11th of the 11th with the minutes silence starting at 11:00. In the '70s Rememberance Day was only on a Sunday aside in 1973 and 1979.

The poppy appeals will have done well to raise ?40m between them last year (it was ?36m in England).

The Department of Work and pensions spent ?976.4m on war pensions alone and that's before you look at the MoD's expenditure

The idea that the governement "rely on charity" to take care of veterans is at best a cheap rhetorical trick and at worst a blatant distortion.

And Rememberance Day falls on the 11th of the 11th with the minutes silence starting at 11:00. In the '70s Rememberance Day was only on a Sunday aside in 1973 and 1979.

Calm down. I don't know what the spending is exactly, but there's a lot more than just the poppy appeal to consider. There are somewhere in the region of 100 charities dedicated to ex-service men and women. My point is that before people like Blair and his cronies send thousands of soldiers off to fight unjust wars they should be thinking about the cost of looking after them, and their families when and if they return. Really anyone who has lost limbs or their sight in war should not be forced to seek help from charities. Many of these charities are catering to some very basic requirements. It is simply wrong to fund these services through charity.

Say What Again

I was out on Saturday night and had a poppy pinned to my jumper.

Was aksed "What you got that shite on for you proddy *******".

That's a first for me. :blink:

Should add I knew the guy - but until that point I had no idea, nor cared, what religion he was or even that he knew what religion I was.

Arnold Rothstein

Great post.

That's when people heard about McCraes Battalion (read the book) and everyone jumped on the poppy wearing bandwagon on here! That simple really.

I have always given to the poppy appeal, didn't always wear a poppy because they just fall off or look tatty after a couple of days. I now have a poppy pin badge that I can wear.

I hardly ever post on kickback any more because of threads like this.

I asked a simple question, when did we first wear a poppy on our shirt.

I joked that hibs would have been the first in Scotland for the simple reason they claim to be the first to have done so many things.

And the response is utter s h I t e being said that I'm points scoring etc.

Think some people need to get out more often and get a life. I have no need to score points about anything thank you very much.

Seymour M Hersh

Like the white poppy you mean ?

GC

That really is a political statement. (the white poppy not your post).

That really is a political statement. (the white poppy not your post).

There are many who wear the white poppy who are making no other statement than they abhor war! The fact that other "parties" adopt it for their own purpose should not deflect from the original reason for its introduction.

The point about other "parties" having their own agenda applies to the red poppy as well, of course.

I have had some interesting discussions with folks because I wear both!

Calm down. I don't know what the spending is exactly, but there's a lot more than just the poppy appeal to consider. There are somewhere in the region of 100 charities dedicated to ex-service men and women. My point is that before people like Blair and his cronies send thousands of soldiers off to fight unjust wars they should be thinking about the cost of looking after them, and their families when and if they return. Really anyone who has lost limbs or their sight in war should not be forced to seek help from charities. Many of these charities are catering to some very basic requirements. It is simply wrong to fund these services through charity.

That argument could be extended to just about anything that the charity sector does but more to the point there will be many of those 100 charitable organisations who are funded, directly or indirectly by the state as "service providers". Particularly those who are concerned with supported living for people with the kind of disabilities you mention.

Just because help is being provided by charity doesn't mean that help is funded by charitable contributions from the general public.

What it often means is that the job is being outsourced to not for profit enterprises and that anybody who voluntarily chucks in extra funds will be able to claim gift aid.

There will always be something else to spend money on and, to extend a metaphor, like restaurant tips any voluntary contributions will be gratefully received but the bill itself is being paid through our taxes.

A particularly doctrinaire old fashioned leftie might object to any kind of outsourcing on principle and there are obviously potential issues with the blurring of the line between the voluntary and state sectors but personally I don't see any compelling reason to nationalise the Erskine foundation.

As a member of the Royal British Legion we campaigned hard and long to get the 2 minutes silence back on the 11/11 at 11am, it was held each year from founding of the rbl 1921 til outbreak of the ww2, high profile media and tv coverage of recent conflicts have once again brought to the fore front the sacrafices our brave armed forces make, highlighting the significance of the poppy. The Rbl currently spends ?1.4million a week on welfare needs of serving and ex service personel, and help all including families, unlike another well known charity for service personel. As for wearing poppies on shirts, if it highlights RBL work and needs good on it.

Archived