McGowan to keep place?

Kirky Jambo

After the game at St. Mirren I thought McGowan was one of our better performers. What are people's thoughts on whether he should keep his place? Obviously left back is a bit of an issue in that he is right footed, but I prefer him over Grainger who imo is a bit of a liability defensively. Saturday was the first time I've seen anything from him going forward which was positive, and he seems a decent defender with a bit of pace. Alternatively would people prefer to see him in the team to Hamill at RB?

I've thought both our full backs (Hammil and Grainger) have been poor for the best part of a month now (perhaps even longer.) I would have had McGowan in for the St Mirren game with or without Graingers suspensions, replacing Hammil preferably.

I expect him to keep his place for after the international break, but after that I'm not sure.

Sergio Garcia

Once Graingers ban over I would have him back in the side. I would move McGowan over to right back and drop Hamill. Hamill's form has dropped and McGowan deserves his shot.

McGowan won't be back out the side imo. I think he'll take the chance he'll get for the next few months and cement his place.

Thought he was our best player after Kello on Sat. He also seemed to be one of the few guys who actually looked like he wanted to win the game towards the end, chasing a few lost causes. I'd like to see him stay in the side.

once Grainger is back, drop Hamill and put him in at rigth back, he should never have been dropped in the first place, he more than deserves his place after fantastic performances agains the Huns and Spurs away

Once Graingers ban over I would have him back in the side. I would move McGowan over to right back and drop Hamill. Hamill's form has dropped and McGowan deserves his shot.

very much this

I think McGowan will keep his place for a while. Perhaps a few... months.

If you want a prediction I will throw my lot in at 2.5 months...or roughly 10 weeks.

:greggy:

Radioactive Mince

I'd like to see him get an extended run but not sure left back is the place. Grainger may have started to tail off after a great start to the season, but he's been a mainstay in a back four who've the 2nd best defensive record in the league. His stamp was lunacy, though.

I'd drop Hammil, if I was Paulo.

Our problems are certainly not in defence, as everyone knows only too well.

Gregory House M.D.

I've thought both our full backs (Hammil and Grainger) have been poor for the best part of a month now (perhaps even longer.) I would have had McGowan in for the St Mirren game with or without Graingers suspensions, replacing Hammil preferably.

I expect him to keep his place for after the international break, but after that I'm not sure.

I thoight Hamills been been great so far TBH.

Gregory House M.D.

Seriously am I watching the same Jamie Hamill as folk on here?

A thot hes been one of our best performers so far this season

stirlingshirejambo

Obviously not. Lack of pace lack of effort and poor decision making sum up his recent performances

Definetly. McGowan always looked a lot quicker and a bit steadier defending to me.

Would that mean that Hamill could then play in midfield in place of Black? Sure he had a bit 20 minutes in there against Paksi and actually looked to too bad.

Having said that Paksi were utter guff.

Gregory House M.D.

Jamie Hamill's been great, IMO and that of most papers.

Jamie Hamill's been great, IMO and that of most papers.

Hamill has had more good games than bad for us IMO, I've been happy with him. Grainger is out for the next 10 weeks so unless McGowan has some stinkers I reckon he'll be at left back for some time.

jamboinglasgow

Hamill has had more good games than bad for us IMO, I've been happy with him. Grainger is out for the next 10 weeks so unless McGowan has some stinkers I reckon he'll be at left back for some time.

Have I missed something? Grainger was suspended for only 2 matches. Or has he picked up an injury?

Have I missed something? Grainger was suspended for only 2 matches. Or has he picked up an injury?

I've not seen it anywhere official but heard from a good source he's having a groin op. It's alluded to from a few other posters on this thread as well. Probably partly why he accepted the suspension with no contest.

jamboinglasgow

I've not seen it anywhere official but heard from a good source he's having a groin op. It's alluded to from a few other posters on this thread as well. Probably partly why he accepted the suspension with no contest.

Ah right, sorry to hear him out for so long but good news that it gives Ryan a chance over a long period. Have to say, that it seems since Paulo has come in (apart from the players already on long term injuries) we have actually not many injuries, Elliott for a few weeks is the only one I could think who has had an injury longer then 1 match.

Apparently Grainger needs an operation, so will be out.

Hamill is keek. Dives in, selves himself all the time and some of his distribution is Neilson-esque.

McGowan>Grainger>Hamill...ie Hamill on the bench.

Much like most on this thread, I would also be pleased if McGowan gets a decent run in the side. I feel he is at the right level to play regular first team football now. Can add some caution though.

He will have the odd bad game, he will get torn to shreds by somebody at least once and he may not always be brilliant. We need to remember that he is a right sided player on the left and a good wide man will make him work very hard. Also, let's not forget that even our better full backs (Naysmith and Wallace) had the odd bad game.

why change what isnt broken... our defence has conceded 9 goals in the league this season, I wouldnt tinker with it too much. Attacking midfield/winger/forward is what we need to be changing.

Sergio Garcia

why change what isnt broken... our defence has conceded 9 goals in the league this season, I wouldnt tinker with it too much. Attacking midfield/winger/forward is what we need to be changing.

But in todays modern game the full backs especially have to offer more than just being solid at the back, they need to offer an outlet going forward. Seems a moot point now anyway as it seems Grainger will be out for around 10 weeks so McGowan will be in for the foreseeable future.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Hamill started off well for us but his form has slipped over the last few games, as has Grainger's. Hamill can be very suspect defensively at times, he's pretty reckless and makes some silly challenges, but he's good going forward, which suits the setup of the team.

McGowan impressed me on Saturday, had a shaky sort of start but grew into the role and got forward well at times, gave Templeton some good support. Expected Hamill and him to be playing on opposite flanks at the weekend but I'll be happy if McGowan keeps his place in the side.

Gregory House M.D.

Hamill is keek. Dives in, selves himself all the time and some of his distribution is Neilson-esque.

McGowan>Grainger>Hamill...ie Hamill on the bench.

:keys:

Archived