Interesting development in Spain

londonjambo

Quote from BBC Sport

1453 FOOTBALL: Barcelona President Sandro Rosell says he wants the Spanish league to cut its size from 20 clubs to 16 and limit the spending of wealthy foreign owners. Rosell also added that Barcelona and Real Madrid, which dominate the La Liga, also understand they must help their opponents through fairer television rights deals.

Its the latter bit which interests me.

Can we ever predict a day when Rangers and Celtic will come to realise that their perennial domination of the domestic game is actually harmful to it and that a more even distribution of money will actually add to the spectacle of domestic football and thus enhance its value for broadcasting rights generally ??

If Barcelona can see it, is it too much top hope that one day the gruesomes will be able to see it too ??

Answering my own question, all too predictably, I suspect we are very many years away from that happeining here.

Discuss

GC

yabadabadoo1874again

Tv rights to a 7th rate product!!!...surely there isnt an agreement that celtic and rangers get all the tv money.... !!! t (

Why limited foregin investment? Real and barca are bankrolled by their cities, and are massivly in debt but carry on spending the banks money!

They are telling the league what to do and saying they will think about sharing some of the tv rights! Both are a bunch of pricks!

I applaud anyone for their faith in the human race if they actually believe either half of the Old Firm would ever do anything that would benefit anyone else but themselves.

jamboinglasgow

Why limited foregin investment? Real and barca are bankrolled by their cities, and are massivly in debt but carry on spending the banks money!

They are telling the league what to do and saying they will think about sharing some of the tv rights! Both are a bunch of pricks!

I did think that was a cheeky statement by Sandro (who seems to have a reputation in the Catalan area of putting his foot in his mouth when he speaks.) The split of tv revenue in Spain is just ridiculous, the fact that the top 2 each earn 50x more in tv revenue then the bottom placed club.

The Banks in Spain have money????

Throughout europe we could do with the TV moneys being used more to benefit the rest of the game, not just the european elite being more and more up their own orifices!

Forget TV money - what struck me about it was that here was a megaclub in a boring 2 horse race realising that a more even distribution of wealth in the domestic game will be advantageous to them as it will increase interest in what would otherwise be a stale product.

Here, the death of Scottish football started the day we changed the rules so that cluybs kept all of their gate receipts for league games, thus handing the OF a huge advantage upon which they have built using successive years of European competition.

The only way that Scottish football will recover is by reintroducing that split. It wont happen in my lifetime - as someone else said, the gruesomes would probably prefer just to play each other every week than actually help the game in Scotland - but its interesting that a club like Barca can actually SEE that it is an option.

GC

Quote from BBC Sport

1453 FOOTBALL: Barcelona President Sandro Rosell says he wants the Spanish league to cut its size from 20 clubs to 16 and limit the spending of wealthy foreign owners. Rosell also added that Barcelona and Real Madrid, which dominate the La Liga, also understand they must help their opponents through fairer television rights deals.

Its the latter bit which interests me.

Can we ever predict a day when Rangers and Celtic will come to realise that their perennial domination of the domestic game is actually harmful to it and that a more even distribution of money will actually add to the spectacle of domestic football and thus enhance its value for broadcasting rights generally ??

If Barcelona can see it, is it too much top hope that one day the gruesomes will be able to see it too ??

Answering my own question, all too predictably, I suspect we are very many years away from that happeining here.

Discuss

GC

Wonder if it has anything to do with the Malaga takeover. Threatened maybe?

Forget TV money - what struck me about it was that here was a megaclub in a boring 2 horse race realising that a more even distribution of wealth in the domestic game will be advantageous to them as it will increase interest in what would otherwise be a stale product.

Here, the death of Scottish football started the day we changed the rules so that cluybs kept all of their gate receipts for league games, thus handing the OF a huge advantage upon which they have built using successive years of European competition.

The only way that Scottish football will recover is by reintroducing that split. It wont happen in my lifetime - as someone else said, the gruesomes would probably prefer just to play each other every week than actually help the game in Scotland - but its interesting that a club like Barca can actually SEE that it is an option.

GC

The home team keeping all gate receipts was introduced in mid- seventies, Aberdeen, DU won the league and we should have in the eighties. gate receipts will probably never go back to being split and is difficult to argue why they should. TV revenue is where the problem lies. The uglies get around 35%, but as nearly all their away games are televised live, what clubs receive from the deal does not compensate the "lost" revenue over the gate as their away support prefer to watch on Tv.

A bigger problem is the champions league clubs have now created a virtual closed shop, where new entry will only happen through ridiculous investment (Man.City). The game ( especially in Scotland) is buggered.

I would like the next Spl Tv deal to be a max 12 games live.

I applaud anyone for their faith in the human race if they actually believe either half of the Old Firm would ever do anything that would benefit anyone else but themselves.

I applaud anyone for their faith in the human race if they think this amounts to anything more than mealy mouthed words on the part of a President who, like his Real Madrid counterpart, has no intention at all of negating any advantage his football club currently enjoys.

Was reading in a magazine at the weekend that Barca and Real get ?250m to share while the rest of the league gets ?375m to share. that works out as roughly ?20m per club.

Problem is though, Barcelona/Real Madrid are minted, and Rangers/Celtic are skint.

I doubt this is accurate, both will be up to their eyes in debt

Quick check has Barca 400m in debt and last check Madrid almost 300m although they had plans to sell some land to cut it!

I doubt this is accurate, both will be up to their eyes in debt

Quick check has Barca 400m in debt and last check Madrid almost 300m although they had plans to sell some land to cut it!

:o

i think old furm fans would be happy to see the whole world crumble around them aslong as teh status quo was kept

Yup, they couldn't care less and unfortunately for all the other SPL teams, neither do their boards. Lawwell and previously Bain (but now one of Whyte's henchmen) have consistently shown total disregard for the SPL as a whole - hence their "we wanna go play in England" cries.

I applaud anyone for their faith in the human race if they think this amounts to anything more than mealy mouthed words on the part of a President who, like his Real Madrid counterpart, has no intention at all of negating any advantage his football club currently enjoys.

But they may have an intention of negating the advantage that their real competitors in Manchester and London enjoy over his club through playing in a more competitive league.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the Malaga takeover. Threatened maybe?

Think you've nailed it there bud. This isn't about an equitable split of TV revenues, it's protectionism smuggled in with a sweetener.

Correct. Along with their evil twins in Madr?d they have their league so tightly sown up that only outside investment from an oil sheik or Russian oligarch could change the status quo now. Which is why they want to ban it. Wankers.

Archived