Watches

Bert Le Clos

Been thinking about treating myself to a new timepiece for a while now, and since I usually get some cash from relatives for Christmmas I'm goning to invest in one shortly.

Not looking for anything too flash or expensive, not a fan of metal straps or anything too big or bling. So I'm ruling out a Tag Heuer! Think I've narrowed it down to one of these three though;

1004754.jpgGS9002219%20s.jpgemporio-armani-house-of-fraser-watches-super-slim-watch-ar2041.jpg

Love a new watch!

Been thinking about treating myself to a new timepiece for a while now, and since I usually get some cash from relatives for Christmmas I'm goning to invest in one shortly.

Not looking for anything too flash or expensive, not a fan of metal straps or anything too big or bling. So I'm ruling out a Tag Heuer! Think I've narrowed it down to one of these three though;

1004754.jpgGS9002219%20s.jpgemporio-armani-house-of-fraser-watches-super-slim-watch-ar2041.jpg

Love a new watch!

That fellay in the middle is really nice. How much sterling would one have to part with to aquire such a piece?

First one is ?185, second one is meant to be ?315 but I've found it reduced to ?157. And the third one is ?179.

I'd love a Rolex Seadweler or a Omega Planet Ocean.

The dapper gentleman should spend top dollar on a watch, a life investment if you like.

The dapper gentleman should spend top dollar on a watch, a life investment if you like.

I agree it's worth investing in a decent timepiece, but I do think some of the prices are a bit hard to justify. I can handle paying a few hundred quid, and for that I'd expect it to work for a lifetime if I'm honest. I have an Armani watch I got from my folks for my birthday 10 years ago, it cost ?90 and other than needing the battery replaced once, it's kept perfect time.

Surely if you want a watch costing any more than a few hundred quid that's what getting engaged is for?

I treated myself to a Gucci watch last Christmas

Like I said I'm not a fan of metal straps so the Rolex would be out for me. The Omega looked nice with the tan leather strap though. But I reckon both would be too expensive for me.

I had a look at some Gucci ones the other day. Lots of nice faces but again mostly metal straps. Each to their own though.

I've got a rather nice Raymond Weil watch and the battery needs replaced so I've just prised the back off to see what type it is and now I can't get the back on again. sweat.gif

Anybody know any watchmakers / jewellers that could help?

I've got a rather nice Raymond Weil watch and the battery needs replaced so I've just prised the back off to see what type it is and now I can't get the back on again. sweat.gif

Anybody know any watchmakers / jewellers that could help?

Tomian Jewellers, 10 Forth Street, Edinburgh.

Love a new watch!

As a general rule I always avoid a watch that's not made from a "watchmaker" so that would rule out 2 of the 3 for me.

I got fed up changing batteries though so looked at Seiko Kinetic and Citizen Eco Drive. Ended up buying a Citizen with a leather strap and really appreciate 1) not having to replace batteries and 2) being able to adjust the strap.

I P Knightley

As a general rule I always avoid a watch that's not made from a "watchmaker" so that would rule out 2 of the 3 for me.

I got fed up changing batteries though so looked at Seiko Kinetic and Citizen Eco Drive. Ended up buying a Citizen with a leather strap and really appreciate 1) not having to replace batteries and 2) being able to adjust the strap.

I find that I don't need to make adjustments as my wrist stays a fairly constant size throughout the day. If I were to wear my watch on my right wrist, however...

I also go with 'watchmaker' rather than designer. I've always liked a metal bracelet and, since I don't wear any rings, chains or any other jewellery, my watch is my only 'extravagence'. Nothing big & bling, though.

1st & 3rd in the OP look like women's watches, IMO.

German watch maker Sinn make some cracking watches which look to be cracking value given the build quality / movements used http://www.sinn.de/en/

Pricey aswell...

Seadweller...6k

Sea-dweller.jpg

Planet Ocean...2.4k and current choice for Jim Bond.

2008-omega-seamaster-planet-ocean_1.jpg

They will be mine, oh yes...

:groundhog:

I agree it's worth investing in a decent timepiece, but I do think some of the prices are a bit hard to justify. I can handle paying a few hundred quid, and for that I'd expect it to work for a lifetime if I'm honest. I have an Armani watch I got from my folks for my birthday 10 years ago, it cost ?90 and other than needing the battery replaced once, it's kept perfect time.

Surely if you want a watch costing any more than a few hundred quid that's what getting engaged is for?

Very true about the engaged part. My wife bought me for an engagement present a gold Certina wrist watch, purchased in the Swiss Watch shop in Princes Street, February 1958. I still wear it on occasions but it has a tendency to gain a bit of time after a week or so. At this stage of my life the last thing I need is time passing faster.

I got a Seiko Kinetic titanium watch and its brilliant, no need to change the batteries and its so light you forget you have it on. thumbsup.gif

I keep on thinking about getting it serviced, but haven't bothered this far. Has anybody anybody had their watch serviced and if so where did you take it?

Captain_Peacock

German watch maker Sinn make some cracking watches which look to be cracking value given the build quality / movements used http://www.sinn.de/en/

Pricey aswell...

Seadweller...6k

Planet Ocean...2.4k and current choice for Jim Bond.

I think it's fair to say Sinn are lost costly than Omega and Rolex (that said the Sinn name doesn't carry the same premium name and in some cases features & you can't find them sold in every high street). You can however get an entry level Sinn 556 for ?750 http://www.jurawatch...er-strap-sn-124

Sinn do a bulletproof Divers Watch called the U1 for ?1390 http://www.jurawatch...er-strap-sn-106 (available with leather, silicone or tegmented steel strap)

& also some decent pilots / instrument watches, I'm tempted by the 856 but I'm not so sure about the position of the date indicator http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/856.htm

Not that I'm knocking your choice of watch btw, I'm a fan of the rolex in house movment and the omega co-axial.

Another thought for the OP, how about Steinhart? Some models are less expansive than Sinn & so a little easier on the pocket. They produce divers, pilots & instrument watches http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/

Edited to add Christopher Ward are also worth a look imo, http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men.html

I seem to remember a watch buff on this site I look forward to reading his thoughts on a watch for the OP.

I think it's fair to say Sinn are lost costly than Omega and Rolex (that said the Sinn name doesn't carry the same premium name and in some cases features & you can't find them sold in every high street). You can however get an entry level Sinn 556 for ?750 http://www.jurawatch...er-strap-sn-124

Sinn do a bulletproof Divers Watch called the U1 for ?1390 http://www.jurawatch...er-strap-sn-106 (available with leather, silicone or tegmented steel strap)

& also some decent pilots / instrument watches, I'm tempted by the 856 but I'm not so sure about the position of the date indicator http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/856.htm

Not that I'm knocking your choice of watch btw, I'm a fan of the rolex in house movment and the omega co-axial.

Another thought for the OP, how about Steinhart? Some models are less expansive than Sinn & so a little easier on the pocket. They produce divers, pilots & instrument watches http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/

Edited to add Christopher Ward are also worth a look imo, http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men.html

I seem to remember a watch buff on this site I look forward to reading his thoughts on a watch for the OP.

Some watches I wasn't familiar with there, alot of them really nice.

As for Omega, starting price for a seamaster is around ?750 which to me Is worth spending a bit more on.

Captain_Peacock

Some watches I wasn't familiar with there, alot of them really nice.

As for Omega, starting price for a seamaster is around ?750 which to me Is worth spending a bit more on.

I can't say for sure without seeing the watch you were offered but I'm pretty certain that the Omega Seamaster you'd of been offered at that price would of been a quartz movement model. The sinn 556 at ?750 has an automatic movment, so to some it's a bit like comparing apples with oranges.

I'm a fan of watches with automatic movments, thats not to say there is anything wrong with watches with quartz movements. Just a case of different strokes for different folks.

PM the Revenant.

He may be able to direct you to a watch forum or two :P

:rofl: was just scrolling through and waiting for it. inevitable.

of the watches posted, i would only go for the rotary. armani watches are not worth the money to buy brand new. ?90 - ?200 for a ?25 quartz fashion watch with a fancy logo. at least rotary are swiss and have a heritage. i have two nice rotary pieces myself.

i'm into rados at the mo. i have four. a silver horse, an NCC404, a golden gate and a sintra. rados are about the best looking, affordable watches around.

then of course there's the extensive russian collection... or perhaps the tissot seastar... or the camy geneva... or something else from the dusty recesses of the collection.

moving forward i'll be looking to progress my collection on to include an omega and/or a jaeger le coultre at some stage. may have to cash in the chips on one or two of the rados to be able to some dough together.

my advise to the OP is to consider buying a mechanical / automatic timepiece instead of a flash fashion watch. something with a bit of heritage.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

:rofl: was just scrolling through and waiting for it. inevitable.

of the watches posted, i would only go for the rotary. armani watches are not worth the money to buy brand new. ?90 - ?200 for a ?25 quartz fashion watch with a fancy logo. at least rotary are swiss and have a heritage. i have two nice rotary pieces myself.

i'm into rados at the mo. i have four. a silver horse, an NCC404, a golden gate and a sintra. rados are about the best looking, affordable watches around.

then of course there's the extensive russian collection... or perhaps the tissot seastar... or the camy geneva... or something else from the dusty recesses of the collection.

moving forward i'll be looking to progress my collection on to include an omega and/or a jaeger le coultre at some stage. may have to cash in the chips on one or two of the rados to be able to some dough together.

my advise to the OP is to consider buying a mechanical / automatic timepiece instead of a flash fashion watch. something with a bit of heritage.

radonccbluesteel3_01.jpg

In other words, something your Grandad might wear, if it was a gift, because nobody in there right mind would buy that monstrosity.

radonccbluesteel3_01.jpg

In other words, something your Grandad might wear, if it was a gift, because nobody in there right mind would buy that monstrosity.

do not talk to me about watches until you evolve beyond your liking for oakley watches.

thanks.

Cheers for the advice. I must admit although I do like watches I don't know a huge amount about them. As long as the look smart and keep the time, I'm pretty much happy. I take your point about Armani watches, although like I said I've had one my folks bought me as a surprise 17th birthday present and it's kept perfect time other than needing the battery replaced once.

My reasoning behind the Vivienne Westwood honestly was I thought it looked smart. I've done a bit of digging though and apparently they actually are decent watches. You're the third person today to make the point about getting a watch from a "watchmaker" though, so I might have to re-assess my options.

Can you explain what you mean about the bit in bold though? Cheers!

Cheers for the advice. I must admit although I do like watches I don't know a huge amount about them. As long as the look smart and keep the time, I'm pretty much happy. I take your point about Armani watches, although like I said I've had one my folks bought me as a surprise 17th birthday present and it's kept perfect time other than needing the battery replaced once.

My reasoning behind the Vivienne Westwood honestly was I thought it looked smart. I've done a bit of digging though and apparently they actually are decent watches. You're the third person today to make the point about getting a watch from a "watchmaker" though, so I might have to re-assess my options.

Can you explain what you mean about the bit in bold though? Cheers!

a mechanical / automatic watch is a watch that you wind-up. a manually wound movement... no battery required. an automatic incorporates a 'rotor' which acts like a flywheel to charge the power reserve of the watch through the movement of the watch on your wrist. an automatic will run indefinitely as long as it's worn or moved enough per day. usually it will run for about a day or so from a full charge without being moved. these are highly intricate pieces of precision engineering. a quartz watch is a simple electronic mechanism that requires a battery to run.

the second-by-second tick-tick-tick of a quartz watch will tell you it's not a mechanical. mech/autos always have a 'sweep' second hand action.

I got a Seiko Kinetic titanium watch and its brilliant, no need to change the batteries and its so light you forget you have it on. thumbsup.gif

I keep on thinking about getting it serviced, but haven't bothered this far. Has anybody anybody had their watch serviced and if so where did you take it?

I should think about that soon as well. Not sure I'd take it to a shop though, id rather send it to the manufacturer. No idea the cost though!

a mechanical / automatic watch is a watch that you wind-up. a manually wound movement... no battery required. an automatic incorporates a 'rotor' which acts like a flywheel to charge the power reserve of the watch through the movement of the watch on your wrist. an automatic will run indefinitely as long as it's worn or moved enough per day. usually it will run for about a day or so from a full charge without being moved. these are highly intricate pieces of precision engineering. a quartz watch is a simple electronic mechanism that requires a battery to run.

the second-by-second tick-tick-tick of a quartz watch will tell you it's not a mechanical. mech/autos always have a 'sweep' second hand action.

OK cheers. I suppose it depends on what you look for from a watch. I take it some quartz watches are still considered to be of good quality? All three of the watches I was looking at appear to be quartz watches. At the moment I don't have the money, nor do I trust myself to invest so heavily in a mechanical watch that might ended broken the next time I'm on the lash.

I take it like with most things companies like Rotary etc. have been making watches for far longer than the designer labels so they're probably the ones to go for?

OK cheers. I suppose it depends on what you look for from a watch. I take it some quartz watches are still considered to be of good quality? All three of the watches I was looking at appear to be quartz watches. At the moment I don't have the money, nor do I trust myself to invest so heavily in a mechanical watch that might ended broken the next time I'm on the lash.

I take it like with most things companies like Rotary etc. have been making watches for far longer than the designer labels so they're probably the ones to go for?

rotary is a very good brand with a rich heritage of making quality watches. their quartz watches are real quality for a very reasonable price. and yes, there are higher quality quartz watches and there are cheap and cheerful ones too. generally the rule of thumb with many fashion brands is that a larger percentage of the price you pay is going towards the branding, and not the build quality.

if you're going for a nice quartz watch, i would tend to look towards rotary, seiko, casio. makes that have a history of making quality watches. conversely the fashion brands of police and tommy hilfiger tend to be decent watches.

at the end of the day though... just get what you like the look of. that's the most important thing.

Archived