how good a player was this guy?

zorba74

You watch that and you wonder how he was only at Southampton all those years.Some truely incredible goals there that if you seen Messi doing them now on La Liga you would be saying they were unreal.

Drewjambobusby

At work and can`t see picture but from 1st reply it has to be Matt Le Tissier.

Didn`t look anything like a footballer. Big Man, very awkward looking, but my god sublime touch and passing ability to die for. He was never fast but his sheer ability bought him time and space. Oh Aye and he had some shot on him. Free kicks and shots from anywhere could just about guarantee a goal.

Should have got more caps really but not every managers cup of tea.

In short :D A feckin genius and great player.

One of my favourite players when growing up. Could do anything with a football. Another example though of a player who would have been sold on, rather than playing out his career at one club.

Was surprised to read in Paul Merson's 98/99 season book that although he admired him greatly as a player, he must have been a nightmare to play with in the side as when he never had the ball, the opposition effectively had an extra player on the park.

One of my favourite players when growing up. Could do anything with a football. Another example though of a player who would have been sold on, rather than playing out his career at one club.

Was surprised to read in Paul Merson's 98/99 season book that although he admired him greatly as a player, he must have been a nightmare to play with in the side as when he never had the ball, the opposition effectively had an extra player on the park.

I think that's probably why he never went to one of the huge clubs or got as many England caps

I think that's probably why he never went to one of the huge clubs or got as many England caps

Think you could call the England cap's on that one, Vega but looking back, still surprised some clubs never taken a crack at him. He would have been the perfect Spurs player IMO.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Love the story about him having 10k on a throw-in in the first minute of the game. Tries to over hit a pass to his team mate to make it go out and the boy goes all out and somehow controls the pass.

:lol:

pretty sure there were big clubs in for him, with man utd being one of them. le tissier liked being the big fish in a small pond though and was hero worshipped at the saints. moving at that time probably would not have seen the meteoric rise in pay that it would nowadays so why move if you are happy.

Love the story about him having 10k on a throw-in in the first minute of the game. Tries to over hit a pass to his team mate to make it go out and the boy goes all out and somehow controls the pass.

First I've heard that :rofl:

Incredible ability, but lazy. One of those players who would contribute very little for 90 minutes but show a flash of genius from nowhere that was unstoppable.

pretty sure there were big clubs in for him, with man utd being one of them. le tissier liked being the big fish in a small pond though and was hero worshipped at the saints. moving at that time probably would not have seen the meteoric rise in pay that it would nowadays so why move if you are happy.

When he broke on to the scene he looked incredible, its worth noting that he had a few years where he struggled to be consistent. Thankfully it was something that he managed to sort out. Whilst football is a team game and someone had to win the ball and play it to him, you do wonder how many seasons he kept them up with his goals. He also had a shocking diet for a professional footballer - something which a few of his managers have confirmed. Think all said and done it suited him being at the club he was at.

He is a true legend at a club, not someone who turned it on for a couple of seasons.

Matthew Le Tissier

The guy was and still is a hero dwn south. The man bleeds red and white and shows his love nearly every week on Soccer Special. He admits his weakness was his fitness and he should have gone to WC98 imo. The reason he didnt leave is that he loved being Le God to all us Saints fans even though he was a Spuds fan. If it wasnt for him we wouldnt have been in the Prem League for aslong as we were. Youtube his last ever goal at The Dell the last ever league goal to be scored their 2-2 last min he pops up and does what he did best. I admit i cryed at his testimonial. The man was my hero for what he did for my home twn club.

If he played for us and had a single bad pass or a shot that didn't burst the back of the net someone on here would say he was 'not Hearts class' and 'First division standard at best'

At least up to 3 years ago No. 7 Le God was still the most sold shirt at Southampton.

Matthew Le Tissier

At least up to 3 years ago No. 7 Le God was still the most sold shirt at Southampton.

All my tops from 95-02 had Le Tisser on it :-D

The penultimate goal of that clip was very reminiscent of Cantona's chip v Sunderland.

Great player, Le Tiss.

Were Scotland not sniffing round to see if he was eligible? Something to do with being a channel islander? Or have I got that wrong?

Were Scotland not sniffing round to see if he was eligible? Something to do with being a channel islander? Or have I got that wrong?

That rings a bell.

He was absolutely brilliant with the ball.

Did he ever score a normal goal?

Matthew Le Tissier

His sole failure to convert came on 24 March 1993 in a match against Nottingham Forest, his spot kick being saved by Mark Crossley

Talking of penalties and Southampton, I seem to recall that Colin Cameron missed a penalty v Saints in 1996 and it was another three years before we missed one again.

The guy was and still is a hero dwn south. The man bleeds red and white and shows his love nearly every week on Soccer Special. He admits his weakness was his fitness and he should have gone to WC98 imo. The reason he didnt leave is that he loved being Le God to all us Saints fans even though he was a Spuds fan. If it wasnt for him we wouldnt have been in the Prem League for aslong as we were. Youtube his last ever goal at The Dell the last ever league goal to be scored their 2-2 last min he pops up and does what he did best. I admit i cryed at his testimonial. The man was my hero for what he did for my home twn club.

Before I seen this thread I read that Southampton are 14th is the all time EPL, and it got me thinking that without le Tiss where would they be. He could have walked into any team in the world.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The penultimate goal of that clip was very reminiscent of Cantona's chip v Sunderland.

Great player, Le Tiss.

I think he was eligible for all four home nations.

Phenomenal player. No coincidence Southampton were a solid Prem club when he was around. Also helped give Man Utd a couple of tankings, which was pleasing.

Also scored 46 from 47 penalties. Edit, seems I'm one off on the pens. :)

My mate is the exact same and adores Le God. When his missus was pregnant recently he was hoping for a boy as he would have been given the first name of Matthew and if he could swing it, Le Tissier as middle names, but it was a girl so she escaped it!!!

Matthew Le Tissier

Before I seen this thread I read that Southampton are 14th is the all time EPL, and it got me thinking that without le Tiss where would they be. He could have walked into any team in the world.

I can belive that. When we were at The Dell we would regulary beat the big boys 6-3 vs man utd le tiss chip vs Scmichael and 3-1 against man utd when they changed strips at Ht.

Matthew Le Tissier

My mate is the exact same and adores Le God. When his missus was pregnant recently he was hoping for a boy as he would have been given the first name of Matthew and if he could swing it, Le Tissier as middle names, but it was a girl so she escaped it!!!

When my missis was pregnant that was the same as me but she was having none of it :-/

Drylaw Hearts

Talking of penalties and Southampton, I seem to recall that Colin Cameron missed a penalty v Saints in 1996 and it was another three years before we missed one again.

I'm sure it was Dave Beasant who made the save.

Fantastic footballer.

That goal he scored at Ewood Park is one of my favourite non-Hearts goals ever (despite it being for the scummers).

His sole failure to convert came on 24 March 1993 in a match against Nottingham Forest, his spot kick being saved by Mark Crossley

he scored a goal against forest in this compilation (@ 50 seconds), same date as you say he missed the penalty

an absolutely class goal

Matthew Le Tissier

Fantastic footballer.

That goal he scored at Ewood Park is one of my favourite non-Hearts goals ever (despite it being for the scummers).

Us being top must hurt :-)

alwaysthereinspirit

Was he a striker or a forward playing midfielder?

If striker then most likely wouldn't make the bench at Hearts.:whistling:

Just saying.

If he was playing today he probably wouldn't get a game for hearts due to not being mobile enough or some nonsense.

If he was playing today he probably wouldn't get a game for hearts due to not being mobile enough or some nonsense.

"Contributes nothing other than scoring goals"

:muggy:

Hannibal Lecter

First I've heard that :rofl:

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Le_Tissier#Post-retirement

In September 2009, Le Tissier revealed in his autobiography that he had placed a spread bet on a match he was involved in during his playing career. During an April 1995 match at Wimbledon, Le Tissier stood to win "well into four figures" after betting on the time of the first throw-in. After kicking off, he tried to overhit a pass to unsuspecting teammate Neil Shipperley, but due to nerves, underhit it and Shipperley was able to keep the ball in play. Le Tissier revealed he had "never run so much" in his life as he tried to put the ball out of play to avoid losing money, with the ball eventually going out of play after 70 seconds, meaning Le Tissier and his associates neither won nor lost money.[26] The event was investigated by Hampshire Police but the Crown Prosecution Service refused to take the case further, citing that it did "not represent appropriate use of police resources" and "would not be in the public interest".[27]

Great player, Le Tiss.

Anybody born in the Channel Islands is eligible to play for any of the Home Nations, so yes he would have been eligible for Scotland.

Agreed to join Spurs but then had a change of heart at the very last minute. Shame.

Fabulous player.

Matt Le Tissier to Tottenham?

In 1990, the Southampton star and legendary one-club man agreed to join Spurs, the team he supported as a lad, but pulled out. "I enjoyed being a big fish in a medium-sized pond, the person in the team that most fans were coming to watch, just to see if I could do something." he said.

Archived