Michael Thomas 1989

William H. Bonney

William H. Bonney

A friend of mine at work is an Arsenal supporter and last night we were talking about his title winning goal. I was 10 at the time and i'm pretty sure it was on the tv. Anyway, for those of you who don't know what i'm on about, check it out. It's still one of the most dramatic moments in football history.

It was live on TV on a Friday night. I remember watching it in the pub. What an end to the season

Watched the video without knowing the circumstances - so it turns out Arsenal and Liverpool were the top 2 teams and Arsenal came up to Liverpool on the last day of the season needing to win by 2 goals or more. Pretty incredible stuff - was all John Barnes' fault for not taking the ball into the corner and time-wasting. Even if it wasn't directly his fault, I'd also like to accuse Alan Hansen of shocking defending ;)

It came from nowhere, brilliant end to a hard fought season.

The film Fever Pitch (not the E.T. chicks version) was mostly based on that season.

what could have been in 86

What makes it sweeter is that Liverpool have never got closer since!

It's stuff of legends, I'm a bit too young to remember it all.

SectionDJambo

The thing I remember about this match was the Karma delivered to Kenny Dalglish.

In 1986, he was on the TV after Liverpool had won the Championship at Chelsea, the same day as the infamous events at Love Street and Dens Park. He expressed his delight that Celtic had won the Championship in the way they had, maybe understandably, given his Celtic connection.

I was overjoyed that he found out what it was like to have a prize like that snatched away from you so late on in a season. The look on his face reflected the feelings we had had only 3 years earlier. Petty but satisfying.

It was an amazing climax to the English season. Probably the most memorable in the history of their game.

Apart from the fact Liverpool won the league in 1990 you're correct.

was 4 year old watching this, and when thomas scored and dad lifted me and ran around the room celebrating and he fell over landed awkwardly and broke his collar bone, where as i just sat glued watching the tele while he was in pain

yassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Carl Fredrickson

I mind watching the game live - I think it may have been postponed/delayed due to a backlog of fixtures after Hillsborough (was it the same season???)

As it was a Friday night season decider it was shown in Scotland to as up to that point we werent getting English games live.

My memory of it was that Liverpool looked as if they thought the title was theirs and they only had to turn up.

A great end to a season - the kind of winner takes all that Sky in the modern age would love.

What a great moment in football B)

:lol: :lol:

The big man will not be happy with that comment :lol:

Before Arsenal broke up the park, my auld man started saying...

"Keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball", with every time him saying it, the voice got louder and louder and louder.

My auld man might not have the caps at International level, may not have the old old first Division titles in the bag, but he was bang on the money honey.

Still, think most folk of a certain age will remember where they were for that game.

Carl Fredrickson

"Keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball", with every time him saying it, the voice got louder and louder and louder.

My auld man might not have the caps at International level, may not have the old old first Division titles in the bag, but he was bang on the money honey.

Still, think most folk of a certain age will remember where they were for that game.

Up there with the death of Diana and 9/11 for instantly knowing where you were. I was sat in my room watching it on my 15" portable as the folks were watching some pish on the "big tele" :lol:

Liverpool won the title the following season

The thing I remember about this match was the Karma delivered to Kenny Dalglish.

In 1986, he was on the TV after Liverpool had won the Championship at Chelsea, the same day as the infamous events at Love Street and Dens Park. He expressed his delight that Celtic had won the Championship in the way they had, maybe understandably, given his Celtic connection.

I was overjoyed that he found out what it was like to have a prize like that snatched away from you so late on in a season. The look on his face reflected the feelings we had had only 3 years earlier. Petty but satisfying.

It was an amazing climax to the English season. Probably the most memorable in the history of their game.

Given what happened a month before and was ongoing at that time of the Arsenal game and beyond it, it was of secondary importance - although Arsenal did deserve all the plaudits they got including, as George Graham recognised afterwards, an ovation from the Kop.

I mind watching the game live - I think it may have been postponed/delayed due to a backlog of fixtures after Hillsborough (was it the same season???)

As it was a Friday night season decider it was shown in Scotland to as up to that point we werent getting English games live.

My memory of it was that Liverpool looked as if they thought the title was theirs and they only had to turn up.

A great end to a season - the kind of winner takes all that Sky in the modern age would love.

It was postponed. It was due to be Liverpool's next game after that FA Cup semi-final. My memory of the game was that Liverpool were shattered physically and not surprisingly - given Hillsborough had happened six weeks beforehand - emotionally too. As they didn't play for a fortnight after the disaster, there was a backlog of league games plus the FA Cup ones to get through. Six days prior to that Arsenal game they had played an FA Cup final against Everton which went into extra-time. Played West Ham 48 hours later and by the time Arsenal came around they were running on empty. Arsenal immediately seized upon this and went for Liverpool and got their reward (although they had a bit of good fortune with ten minutes left when Rush missed a sitter he'd normally score in his sleep).

Still, Michael Thomas did sort of make amends with his superb strike that helped Liverpool win the FA Cup three years later.

was 4 year old watching this, and when thomas scored and dad lifted me and ran around the room celebrating and he fell over landed awkwardly and broke his collar bone, where as i just sat glued watching the tele while he was in pain

yassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

was also 4 at the time , and coming from north london it was mad i didnt know what was going on really but it was a big party :D

Remember it clearly, christ knows what it felt like to be an Arsenal fan in that moment. Bizarrely Thomas went On to play for Liverpool later in his career IIRC.

I can remember the next morning reading the early edition paper that my dad had brought in from the pub, had a headline along the lines of Liverpool on verge of championship and the score as 1-0 with a match report. One of those things that you had wished you had kept

Have a vague memory of either John Aldridge or Steve McMahon celebrating at 0-1 with a clenched fist that they had won the league....

:symf:

Seymour M Hersh

I was on the Kop that night. Well played to the gunners (congratulated a couple of gooners in the pub afterwards) that night. Liverpool basically ran out of steam especially after the traumatic few weeks following 15/4/89.

Archived