Sir Alex Ferguson - 25 years

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

With the exception of Schmeichel and to an extent Solksjaer, the others you mentioned arrived on high fees of the time. Still bloody good signings though.

I don't think they could be classed as high fees. Brian McClair went for ?850k at the time, which wasn't cheap but Celtic had wanted ?2m for him. Cantona cost around ?1.2 million which is ridiculous when you think about it. Ince was also around ?1m, and Kanchelskis cost about ?500k.

The only one I would say was high would be Bruce, which I think was around the same as McClair but before Sky poured the TV money in. But like you said, unbelievable signings who repaid their fees ten times over at least. And Ferguson showed his true talent in getting the best out of Cantona.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they could be classed as high fees. Brian McClair went for ?850k at the time, which wasn't cheap but Celtic had wanted ?2m for him. Cantona cost around ?1.2 million which is ridiculous when you think about it. Ince was also around ?1m, and Kanchelskis cost about ?500k.

The only one I would say was high would be Bruce, which I think was around the same as McClair but before Sky poured the TV money in. But like you said, unbelievable signings who repaid their fees ten times over at least. And Ferguson showed his true talent in getting the best out of Cantona.

Ince come from West Ham for way more than a million, buddy.

Ince come from West Ham for way more than a million, buddy.

I think it was between ?1m and ?1.5m.

Drylaw Hearts

I always think the Ferguson to Hearts was a line thrown out there by Wallace Mercer in the aftermath of that failed bid to buy Hibs.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I always think the Ferguson to Hearts was a line thrown out there by Wallace Mercer in the aftermath of that failed bid to buy Hibs.

:).

Mercer also claimed both Jock Wallace and Jim McLean were going to manage us.

Archived